Stupid Waterford Crystal 2005 baby ornament! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 08-28-2005, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Grr. I have a Waterford Christmas ornament for my first married Christmas with DH, and one for baby's first Christmas, 2003.

So I got my catalog a few days ago. And I was excited to order and ornament for baby-on-the-way as well as one for my cousin who is getting married in October.

But this year's baby ornament is a bottle. Boo! We only do bottles because I work outside the home and have to prepare bottles of EBM for the baby. I do not need a crystal reminder of hours suctioned onto my pump!

Too bad they don't make the ornaments in the shape of boobies.
#2 of 6 Old 08-28-2005, 06:01 PM

How depressing. Just depressing. I get so fed up when we're reading children's books and the moms in the stories are saying, "Do you want to help me give the baby a bottle now?" to their children. It's just sickening--- how people in this culture are terrified to portray mothers breastfeeding their babies, as if it were something wrong. Grrrrrr indeed!!!! Let's boycott Waterford.
#3 of 6 Old 08-28-2005, 07:42 PM

Oh, yuck. It disappoints me how common they are. If that makes sense?

loveeyes.gif Mama to a lively DD (10/05) energy.gifand DS (06/23) babyboy.gif!

#4 of 6 Old 08-29-2005, 12:22 AM

Yeah, I think they're way too prevelant as well. It's a royal pain trying to find even something as simple as a fill-in-the-blanks birth announcement without a bottle on it, or a baby set for scrapbooking without bottles. : I just hate how that's promoted as the normal way to feed in our society. But then, I'm also one of those mamas who makes a point not to buy baby dolls with bottles.

Sabra: Mama to Bobbie (3/02), Linda (1/04), Esther (10/05), Marie (11/10), & Douglas (11/12)

#5 of 6 Old 08-29-2005, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freestyler
I get so fed up when we're reading children's books and the moms in the stories are saying, "Do you want to help me give the baby a bottle now?" to their children. .
We went to the toystore on Friday to shop for my daughter's birthday presents, and I saw a book called "Big Sister". I snatched it up and thumbed through it, looking for bottles. On one page, there is a bottle in the background. But on the other page, the big sister was feeding the baby while the mom held it. I had to put the book back. I do not need Eva copying the book, by trying to shove something into the new baby's mouth!

FitMama, I think you should write the company and tell them that when you see bottles, you associate it with the hours of not very physically pleasant pumping you do! Ask them to maybe not include a bottle on their Baby's First Christmas ornaments from now on! lol

heartbeat.gif heartbeat.gif heartbeat.gif

#6 of 6 Old 08-29-2005, 11:02 AM

on books....we buy them when they have bottles in them -- but always talk about how baby gets a bottle when s/he is old enough and mom has to go to work. that's how my family works -- do i think we need to have all sorts of bottle images, no. We also encourage erin to nurse her babies and/or give them sippys/bottles. She knows we feed babies "juju" (mom juice) and has no idea what formula is.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page