Possible fractured/sprained tailbone - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 08-30-2005, 10:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yikes! I'm 32 weeks along and yesterday I fell down the stairs while carrying my toddler. I actually twisted my back trying to set him down and then bumped my tailbone pretty good on about 5 stairs. I can barely walk, let alone sit down. The numerous trips to the toilet bring tears to my eyes. I can only sit on a birth ball comfortably and have to sit on a hemroid donut while driving.

I don't see a physician normally, so I didn't go to one, but today I went to a chiropractor. She said by the sound of things I likely sprained or fractured the tailbone way down by the base. Apparently some people heal quickly in this area, some never heal. She asked me about my birthing plans (waterbirth at birth center) and she winced when I told her. She said, "you might want to consider a pain killer or epidural during labor.'" I shrugged this off as something a doctor would say and went about my business.

When I got to work one of my lactation consultants, who referred me to the chiro, was very concerned that she had said this to me since she gives talks on the dangers of epidurals! Yikes!

So I called my Bradley instructor who called the birth center and pretended that she had a broken tailbone and they said she would have to come in for examination but it would not necessarily risk her out. She also called her dad, a chiro, and he suggested ice and arnica for a few days, then warm compresses of tiger balm and a homeopathic remedy.

I am a bit nervous. I am a fast healer, but all I can think about right now is the pain from my intense back labor from my first birth and how I would probably go into shock right now if I was is labor with this additional pain. I really think a water birth will help if there is still any pain at all in 8 or so weeks because I can float into comfy, helpful positions rather than squatting, etc. (which I can't do at all right now). But I'm afraid to tell my midwife. I have had a perfectly normal pregnancy up until now and then BAM!!!

To make matter worse, my husband started a new job yesterday and has no sick/vacation time. Luckily I have relatives in town to help out with my toddler, but he is very demanding and my much slinged/ much held child does not understand and just plain doesn't like the fact that I can't pick him up.

So my emotions are somewhere between 'don't worry about it...I''ll heal' and 'I better be prepared for a birth other than my ideal birth so I'm not disappointed.'

Anyone had a tailbone fracture/sprain before? Any suggestions?

Susan~Mama to Atticus (2003), Creeley (2005), Townsyn (2007) and a fourth boy on the way in 2011!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 08-31-2005, 12:38 AM

I had a suspected tail bone fracture(suspected because I never had xray of course) and it took about 4 wks to heal...I would feel an occasional twinge after that and actually I still do but it didn't increase or get worse during labour...I didn't have back labour though so I was lucky.

Maybe aim for optimal fetal positioning for when you go in labour and take it easy to encourage fast healing...then hope for the best. I hope it heals well before labour...maybe you should hope to go a couple weeks post dates to have more healing time...of course you would be the only mama ever to want to go over due :LOL

Take care and hope you feel better soon
#3 of 5 Old 08-31-2005, 01:09 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Lily dislocated my tailbone on ehr way out when she was born, so the thought of pushing Lily out with an already fractured tailbone just gives me chills.

I wish you peace in your search for ways to heal quickly, and that you do heal quickly so that you are not in excruciating pain during birth.
#4 of 5 Old 08-31-2005, 11:01 AM

I, too, had a tailbone issue with my 2nd birth, and it was very uncomfortable *after* the birth, but during, I did not notice.

I'd stay far far away from a bed while you are pushing. Water sounds like it would be ideal for you, keeps gravity from pulling baby down, etc. The only time the baby really smooshes your tailbone is exiting, which is painful as is, wishful thinking that you will not notice it? Too wishful, I guess...

Good luck to you! I hope you heal quickly!
#5 of 5 Old 08-31-2005, 11:25 AM

Ouch. You should really let your midiwfe know what happened. I can understand being scared of being risked out but you should still let her know.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page