Aug 29 - Sept 4th Weekly Chat - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 08-31-2005, 08:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I noticed it's Wednesday and no one started the weekly chat thread. So here it is .

How's everyone doing?

Wow, I had a scare today. My 2 yr old fell down my mom's stairs! He was upstairs with my brother and I hear him start to come down the stairs and my brother says, "Jakob!" and then I here "boom boom boom". I ran to him and picked him up and held him and he cried. But I think he was more scared than anything. I asked him if he had any owies and he pointed to his leg. Then he stood up and said, "I'm okay, let's go outside and play!" all smiles. So glad he's okay..!

I have been waking up feeling sooo stiff, pelvis really aches when I try to move certain ways, like rolling over in bed. I've recently started to go from a side laying position, to my hands and knees and then to the other side if I'm changing sides because it hurts too much to do it the other way. But then other times I end up laying on my back (with a pillow under one hip so I'm not flat) because my hips hurt too much lay on them.

I can't believe I'll be 36 weeks in just a few days. I am very ready to have this baby...well, sort of. :LOL There are still a lot of things I want to get and get done before that time comes. I better get too it, it's getting so close!

#2 of 17 Old 08-31-2005, 11:06 PM

I'm glad his little trip was not bad at all! He probably scared you more than himself!

We're really getting up there. Last time, in my due date club [September, with my daughter] I was always the last to reach such milestones. It's nice that this time, I'm one of the firsts! 35 weeks tomorrow! Yay!

The baby is on the move today. I have no clue what she's doing. She's repositioning herself, and it's driving me batty! Not to mention, it hurts at times, she's boney, just like her father!
I don't know if that's a butt or a head up in my ribs and stomach. But man, I can not tell what she's doing in there! I can only tell you how strange it is! We went to the grocery store and she stuck something out so far. My belly must have looked weird to other people!

I had some blood stains on my underwear last week, but thankfully someone pointed out that it was most likely my overdoing it, and it was. This week is far less stressful, and I've had only one day of staining so far.

But other than that, everything is going good. New stretchmarks every few days. Baby moving around constantly. Blood pressure good. I have lost my appetite though, this happen to anyone else?

Eva is 2 now, and such a big girl! We're gonna need some potty learning help soon though. She uses the potty daily, if she feels like it. :\

heartbeat.gif heartbeat.gif heartbeat.gif

#3 of 17 Old 08-31-2005, 11:25 PM

I started back at work this week. I'm exhausted, and the kids haven't even started school yet. I realized how much time I spend lying down this summer. I have so much pressure in my groin from standing or sitting this week.

Like you, April, I have lots of hip pain and sleeping is sooo not comfortable. Plus, I co-sleep with a BIG 2 1/2 year old so it's hard to find a comfy position. And it's hot. And I have to pee every 2 hours. I know, WAAAAHHHHH. :LOL
#4 of 17 Old 08-31-2005, 11:33 PM

ah, the joys of the third trimester...I am very uncomfortable...but baby is moving and jumping and my emotions are pretty good too.

My almost 15 year old daughter has a boyfriend...he is 18 I met him today..he's a very nice young man but still...the age bothers me. I told her he could go to jail if they were intimate...she says no way...but it worries me. But on the other hand I would rather watch her and keep them close then have her sneak around. To be fair he thought she was 16 when they met and she didn't set him straight until they were already dating a while.

He is finishing highschool and going into the army..he lives in another town and is visiting tomorrow. I do have to admit...he's quite a good looking young man too. It's scary!

Oh my...how can I have a daughter dating and another child in my tummy wiggling around...it's really strange. :LOL
#5 of 17 Old 09-01-2005, 12:05 AM

i've got about a week of crazy work stuff and then I'm ready to have this baby any day. I need a week of downtime though in between.

Insomnia strikes again this week. I think it is stress related. But I'm slowly making stabs at getting my work done and I'm sure I'll get back into a routine soon.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#6 of 17 Old 09-01-2005, 12:21 AM

I'm miserable! It's been really hot here, my hips and pelvis hurt, and i'm up all night peeing. Well, i'm up all night peeing when I can actually get some sleep. The only time I have an easy time falling asleep is during the day, and then the kids wake me up ASAP!

I had my 32 week appointment today (i'm 32+3) and the midwives still can't tell if the baby is head up or down - they seem to be thinking breech right now, but I'm pretty sure they're wrong. Still, one more thing to worry about. If they can't tell via palpation at my appointment in two weeks, I will have a US to determine position. It's important because they can't deliver breech babies at the Birth Center, so we'll have to do everything we can to turn him around.

Oh, and dh will be out of town for a week in two weeks. Thankfully it won't be any later than that (I will be 35 weeks when he returns), because for some reason, I'm thinking I won't go a full 40 weeks this time (I went to 40 exactly with ds and 39+5ish with dd, but they calculated those dates based on my LMP rather than my O date. This time it's based on my O date, and since i have long cycles, it means my other two were really born at arpund 38 weeks.) of course, now that I said that, i'm destined to go to 44 weeks :LOL

anyhow, that's about it here. I'm ready to be done, if only the baby were!
#7 of 17 Old 09-01-2005, 02:16 AM - Thread Starter

Rach....yeah, i'm glad his tumble wasn't bad at all. I think your right, it prob scared me even more than him. About what you said about the baby doing crazy stuff in your belly and sticking something out so far it prob looked wierd, ....this baby did the same thing last night. It was at home though, but I was sitting on the chair slightly reclining and the baby just pushed it's foot out so far, it almost looked like my belly had become a tent. I couldn't believe how hard that baby was pushing on me from the inside, it looked so crazy and felt crazy too!

Fitmama, I'm also co-sleeping with my 2 1/2 year old. We have a huge California King bed but he always seems to push me to the very edge of the bed...or end up with his feet next to my face or on my belly and I have to scoot him over a few times...in between the peeing, yes I completely understand. But he's not nursing to sleep anymore hardly, and I've been loving how he falls asleep just cuddled up right next to me

Gosh, last night DS and DH and I were all in bed and DS was in the middle of us, and we were all being a little goofy before he had to go to sleep, cuddling and laughing, DS had one arm wrapped around each of our necks and we were both kissing his cheek at the same time and I was just thinking how it's not going to be just us three anymore. Kind of bittersweet. Interesting mixture of emotions, I'm really ready to meet the new baby but still trying to prepare for the whole change in dynamics from one child to two.

#8 of 17 Old 09-01-2005, 09:27 AM
p.s

April, I'm glad Jakob is okay...that can be really heart-stopping.

Have my 32 week check up tomorrow. Mom will be flying in at midnight to spend the weekend; she wants to see "the belly" in person before birth. So she'll be able to go to the appt .

Have been noting a distinct daily shifting of my center of gravity, farther and farther than from previous. Last night "developed" a new way to alight from the horizontal- rolling head start onto bed edge and coordinate a push off the edge of the bed and edge of dresser next to bed :LOL .

Checked this book out of the library that has lots of good tips: After the Baby's Birth by Robin Lim and am going through it, listing all the herbs, etc she recommends.

I think the baby is starting to head down, from his up until now transverse position. The little flutters are drifting downwards, at like the 4 or 5o'clock position now. When DH talks to the belly, I ask him to move his mouth a little father south. :LOL
#9 of 17 Old 09-01-2005, 07:09 PM

Hi everyone! This is the start of the 36th week or something for me (I can never get the hang of counting weeks!), and I gotta say, I'm feeling totally maxed out physically and emotionally. God, I get overstimulated just getting out of bed these days. Whether I've slept well that night or not! Sleeping well for me means getting up three times or less to pee, and not being awake from 4 am til dawn. I'm sure lots of you can relate.

Aches and pains are intense some days, other days not. The only thing that soothes me physically and mentally is going to the pool every afternoon---thank goodness my three kids love swimming more than life itself! But good grief, the kids must think I've gone 'round the bend, because I'm so tired and cranky so much now. I'm having a hard time being in the ninth month and dealing with any more demands OF ANY KIND. It's "Mom this" and "Mom that" until I'm ready to go totally LOCO. Sometimes I cannot wait to have the baby and just not have to deal with anything or anyone else very much in that immediate postpartum period. No pun intended, but I plan to milk it for all it's worth!! Gee, dear, the doctor said I have to rest for four weeks straight, nothing except sunset strolls and meals in bed. I'm just so tired. SOOOOO TIRED.

I wish we had help here, but we don't. I mean, the only help we could get is hired help and we cannot afford it. No relatives nearby either. *sigh* The ninth month is tough. Exciting, but tough. And by the way, who was it who asked about losing your appetite---was it you Rach? Yes, it has happened to me too! I lost mine around week ten of this pregnancy and it has not yet returned! I can get by happily on one good meal a day; anything beyond that is nauseating in the extreme. All I want at this point is plums and raisin bran. But I still force myself to eat my protein and green veggies every day. Ick. And lots of calcium, and my multi-vitamins. This morning I got a decaf cappuccino at my favorite coffee shop, and asked if they could flavor it with a prozac, but they said they couldn't--imagine that! Needless to say, I had my three kids (seven and under) with me and I was pretty maxed out.

I'm more than a centimeter dilated already. Wow. Cool. That much less to accomplish in labor! And the doc said the cervix is totally soft too. Anyone else dilating yet?? He said it's common when you're carrying a large baby and chasing kids around all day. Basically, the body is stretched out and a little more lax after having other babies already. Too bad the rest of my body is more lax too!

Good luck and hang in there everyone!!! HUGS!!!!
#10 of 17 Old 09-01-2005, 08:27 PM

Sounds like everyone is busy and i love hearing how others are doing. Im 32.5 weeks along and had an awesome checkup yesterday. My bp rocks and the usual small traces of blood in my urine are barely even there (cran actin ROCKS!!!). But i hated seeing the scale go over the 10 lb gain mark. My mw's are so amazing!!!

I have the usual uncomfiness but my biggest problem was sitting in front of the toilet last night from 10:30 to midnight throwing up dinner (will i never be able to eat spaghetti again???? sob sob) I swear you should NOT be allowed to get ms in the third trimester as the belly just makes it all kinds of impossible lol!! Oh well, this wont last forever and it could be worse.

This one is also a kicker, future Mia Hamm or something? lol. Do any of you ever get jabbed so hard it stops you in the middle of what you are doing??? Im supposing this is semi normal!

We are also co-sleeping (but she's only 22 months and still huge at 30 lbs lol) and it tends to leave little room for mom. Also my DH just had a PICC IV inserted (goes in at the elbow and goes to his heart) for a 30 day treatment (he was just diagnosed with dissemenated Lyme Disease) sooooo it means DD and i have to be even more careful at night around him!!! I am heavily contemplating kicking DH out or moving myself and DD to her room. Lol. Oh well we will see.

Amazing how fast this pregnancy has flown, feels like i have months and months left. And still nothing ready hee hee. Im such a slacker compared to all you gals.

Loving mom to 2energy.gif ,1jammin.gif , & 1dog2.gif . Surrodaughter 4/09
#11 of 17 Old 09-01-2005, 10:05 PM

Well, i'm sure you'll be shocked to hear this, but my OB is as witless as ever. i had my 32 week appointment Tuesday, and i lost 4 lbs (that brings me back to about my pre-pregnancy weight). i was interrogated with the usual questions: are you eating? any nausea or vomitting? diarrhea? My husband spoke up and said "Uhh...you put her on a DIET?!?" Oh yes, yes, of course, and how is that going for you? He also asked AGAIN if i've taken another glucose test yet...i'm testing at home!!! Is there actually anything written in those green folders you people carry around??? I swear, i'm banging my head on a brick wall every time i try to tell these people anything.

I've decided that i'm NOT going to test my blood every day (the doc was dumbfounded at my question about the lancets--i only got 12 with 200 test strips--and suggested that one could be used for a whole month *sigh*). He says i should test every day, that way i'll know if it suddenly spikes (since he agreed that the numbers i showed him were no real cause for consern--though he'll be damned if he takes that "GD" label off my chart--probably the only thing on it!) but the only time it HAS been high was when i took the test (go figure!) and i definately didn't feel right afterwards, even as the nurse asked me if i had really just done the test, since it didn't show up in my urine, and it usually does...so i reason it must not have been *that* high at that point, and i was already feeling cruddy.

Back to the weight thing, doc was totally confused, and measured my belly several times--i'm measuring at 35 weeks, lol, and he asked me again how big my other babies were (i do know that's in my chart, because he's always making reference to that and my "diabetes"), as if he were testing me. Well, my daughter was 9 lbs, 6 oz...he actually asked me "and does this one feel about that size, or bigger, or smaller?" Helloo....it feels like a bowling ball! I don't know how much it weighs!

i've also decided i'm not going to "follow" the diet; after seeing the dietician, i realized i'm eating even better than she told me to, so it's REALLY pointless to log everything and do the math. I'm going to be really annoyed if my insurance doesn't cover the visit (and i've been warned that it shouldn't), because it was a complete waste of my time and gas money.

Speaking of food, i'm sooo hungry, but my belly doesn't seem to have enough room for food, lol. My skin, muscles, everything seems to be stretched beyond full capacity. My stretch marks aren't too bad at this point (a few white ones, and some tiny purple ones on the side), but i swear at any moment i'm going to actually HEAR a ripping sound, and that will be that.

And, in the area of TMI, this recurring YI i've been getting is worse than ever. Garlic doesn't seem to be helping anymore, and to make matters worse (and super-embarassing) i actually LOST a clove in there the other day!!! It took me almost 24 hours to find it...that can't be good. Does something happen during pregnancy to make your vagina LONGER??? Honestly, i don't spend any time there unless garlic is involved (lol) but i seem to recall it having an end? Where did it go???
#12 of 17 Old 09-02-2005, 07:32 AM

i'm suffering from 36 week insomnia too. I have a boat load of academic work to accomplish before next wednesday at 5pm. so....it isn't all bad. I went to the chiropractor yesterday...felt great. I slept better than I have in about a week (still up at 430 though). I see my ob on tuesday and I don't think I'm dilated at all, but while I'd love to have the baby a week or so early, I'm not ready to have baby right now, you know?

my friend who's taking Erin while I have baby is attending her sister's wedding the weekend of the 17th, out of town. So I arranged not one, but two backups -- yesterday I found out that both backups have made plans that weekend (hello -- you told me you'd be in town!!! grrr). So...hopefully not an issue, but since I'm a hospital VBAC I don't want to have to worry about my 2 yr old too, you know?

stretch marks....yes, they are there. Hopefully they will fade with time. They are the white kind (at least the ones I can see).

#13 of 17 Old 09-02-2005, 11:08 AM

I'm having a tough week. We (stupidly) decided to start a supposedly "quick, 3-4 days tops" home improvement this week. We are repairing/replacing much of the drywall on our first floor and ripping out a half bath and closet in the living room. The contractor started on Monday, so last Friday I took DS (2.5 yo) and went up to my mom's, so DH could do all the demolition work and run some electrical for new lights. I had planned to say away until Thursday or Friday.

I decided to come back Weds. night so that I could go to Brooklyn and have an u/s w/my FIL who is a radiologist, because my m/w and I were concerned that the baby might be breech...which of course is true. I'm 36 weeks, so I know there is still plenty of time for the baby to turn, and I have an appt w/my chiropractor (who is also an accupuncturist, YEAH!) in an hour. I'm trying to freak out, but this was my ONE nagging fear this whole pregnancy and I can't help but worry that it was for a reason. My m/w doesn't feel comfortable doing a breech hb...says she just hasn't done it enough, which I totally can respect. But now I have to start thinking about wether I want to try and find another mw if the baby doesn't turn.

Add in the fact that my construction project is now looking like its going to run into next week so we get to spend the entire long weekend trapped in our bedroom or outside and I just want to curl up and cry. My home visit with the mw and her backup and her apprentice is supposed to be next Thursday and I just can't imaging how we're going to get this house back in shape in time. I also have to get most of my birth kit together by then. I'm so anxious.

AGHH gotta run or I'll be late for my appt. Thanks for letting me vent guys! I"m sure I'll be back later to whine some more
#14 of 17 Old 09-03-2005, 09:50 AM

Hi everybody...Andrea...hope your house gets in order soon...I can't even imagine.

I keep getting waves of panic when I realise this baby is due in 6wks and in 3 weeks I will be "at term" It's a good thing because I want to get the homebirth supplies in but I don't get them until that time as the midwife doesn't give out the package until 36wks. Last baby went 42 weeks but who know if this one will..I just hope it's after 37wks. I really really don't want to go overdue this time although sometimes I think I do...I haven't been able to enjoy this pregnancy as much and when kids go back to school on Tuesday maybe I will be able to relax and enjoy. I really want to do my hypnobirthing every day as well and rest a bit too.

Dr. Jack Newman is hosting a Breastfeeding workshop in Stratford...it costs $80...I think I am going to attend..it's October 5..it's for health care professionals(yay!) but anyone is welcome. It's on a Wednesday though so child care may be a problem

I may have a solution though...Sophia attends preschool which is also a daycare..she's pretty comfortable there so maybe she could stay for the whole day that day.

I am also attending the bfing challenge on October 1.

Well I am babysitting my niece and nephew tonight...their mom and dad recently separated...I am on the outs with their mother pretty bad(can't stand the woman and had a huge fight with her this week) She will be livid when she finds out they stayed here...oh well, it's my brother's weekend.

Must go..hubby will be home tonight
Cheers
Carolyn
#15 of 17 Old 09-03-2005, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter

Gosh, I know what you mean by "waves of panic" allgirls. At 36 weeks now, I'll be considered full term in just one week. Wow!

I just did an interesting calculation. I never charted my cycle before I got pregnant with Jakob. I just kept track of when my period came. I started charting when my period returned when Jakob was 18 mos old. Now I only charted 4 mos before I was pregnant again, but I discovered my cycles are a little longer on average than the 28 days cycle, and I ovulate a bit later than the 14 days. According to that I went back and figured when I might have O'd when I got pregnant with DS and according to that date he was born at 37 weeks 6 days. That's 15 days before the 40 week average mark ....which is funny because the date I predicted for this baby to be born way before I figured this out is Sept 17th, which is 14 days before the 40 week mark. Hmmm. Interesting right?

I woke up today barely able to walk, ouch I'm so stiff and my back hurts. I think I'm going to soak in the tub while DS is cuddled up with DH on the couch. That is if I can peel myself off this chair...ugghh no motivation.

Oh, I went to the thrift store downt the street yesterday and did a little shopping for the baby. I got a Babybjorn for $4! Got some clothes and hats for $1 a piece, and got my extra sheets for the home birth. Thrift stores rock

#16 of 17 Old 09-03-2005, 11:22 AM

wow...interesting calculation World Shakerz...my cycles are shorter than normal...but I ovulated on cd 16 on the cycle I got pregnant because the previous month was a chemical pregnancy

Sophia was 16 days past my estimated due date...I hope this baby comes sooner than that.
#17 of 17 Old 09-03-2005, 03:14 PM

I have pretty regular 28 day cycles. But erin was still late ... I think due to her positioning.

Quote:
Gosh, I know what you mean by "waves of panic" allgirls. At 36 weeks now, I'll be considered full term in just one week. Wow!

eek! And I'm a day after you.

But....I have one of my major work projects done, another will be done before I leave work today and I'm feeling better. Last night dh and I made a list for the hospital bag...so I now feel like even if I don't pack said bag it will get there. Mostly I really want my own pjs for snuggling my babe in.

I don't want this babe to be late again, but my phd research work has been so crazy lately that I REALLY want some time with my dd before she's officially a big sister.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page