Period like cramps? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-08-2005, 02:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just wondering if anyone else is having period like cramps? It is normal at this stage (I'm almost 33w)?? I'm not really sure if I'm having BH. Most of the day I've had mild period like cramps in my low/mid back, kind of throbbing. But my sciatic is also bothering me a little, so it kind of alternates. Just wanted to know what you mamas think. Thanks!

Happily married, Waldorf-inspired homeschooler to Kylan (8yo), Everest (6yo), and Bodhi (2yo)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2005, 10:47 AM

If that keeps up, I'd get it checked out. Period like cramps can be early labor. Let us know what's happening!
Old 09-08-2005, 10:59 AM

Sorry to intrude- I was just looking around as my SIL is due in October- but I wanted to tell you I think you should call your midwife or doctor. Now. It could be early labor- I had premature contractions with my first child, and it felt like period cramps. I was lucky that it didn't turn into real labor, but it did turn out that I had a sever bladder infectiont that was making my baby feel like she should evacuate. The bladder infection had not been detected during my regular dr.'s visit.

Laura, Mama to Mya 7/02, Ian 6/07 and Anna 8/09
Old 09-08-2005, 12:05 PM

I get BH contrax all the time, and they don't feel like period cramps. They feel like a general tightening or pulling down sensation all over my uterus. Sometimes they take my breath away and make me feel flushed.

I have had some trouble with my sciatic and low back pain... at times it can radiate around and feel almost like I am having period-like pains.

BUT, I think you should call your provider and let him/ her know. It could be early labor... better safe than sorry, IMO.

Keep us posted!
Old 09-08-2005, 12:58 PM

It is normal. My midwife said I was probably starting to dialte some, but didnt want to check and stir things up early.
Old 09-08-2005, 01:05 PM

I am having contractions..definite contractions..not BH...which I am also having..the baby is almost completely engaged so she thinks baby's head on my cervix is causing this...I am about 35 wks..it feels a bit like menstrual cramping...but stronger..my midwife thinks all is fine...keep hydrated and rest.

Maybe call your care provider to see what she says to ease your mind. I keep telling baby to stay in 2 more weeks...I hope s/he listens.

I usually find emptying the bladder/bowels frequently and lots of fluids help.

I had this with Sophia as well starting around this time..she came 16 days past my due date.

So I am not counting on a early baby but I am watching carefully.
Old 09-08-2005, 01:53 PM

water water water
i've had the same thing & drinking water always helps. My early labors start out with period like cramps so I try to be careful about that.

Aisling
Old 09-09-2005, 03:50 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
I was having cramping a few weeks ago, and it turned out that I was dehydrated. My midwife went with dehydration first because I had no other preterm symptoms, but if you're having lower back ache, you should probably talk to your dr/midwife just to be on the safe side.

Crunchy wife to my high-school sweetheart, mama to DS (10/23/05) , DS (11/22/07) , DD (3/9/10) , and DS (5/26/12),  and three babies in Heaven.
Old 09-09-2005, 11:40 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
im having huge cramps this morning. I really overdid it yesterday though, and Im sure thats why.
Old 09-09-2005, 08:53 PM

Every time I've had cramps it's been bc of something that I've done...overdone it, not taken a rest in a while, not had enough fluids... That always brings me back down to taking care of myself and that is hard with 2 kids and a dh to take care of!

Hope it's nothing for you but call if you are concerned. The above answers would have me a bit concerned!
Old 09-10-2005, 08:02 AM

I had really bad cramps the night before last and last night. The night before last wasn't that bad but my lower back and abdomen ached like crazy and I could barely sleep. And last night I felt crampy and was getting huge pressure in my lower back/abdomen and behind. : And it would come and go every few minutes. I think it ended up being something else ( ) but for a while I was really worried. Though the night before last I was having bh and last night I wasn't - not until later and by then the pressure had gone away.

I'm so confused about what are normal pains and what pains should I go to the hospital for! My book say not until you're having contrations... but I don't completely understand contractions. I know that my doctor pointed out my bh's when it happened in front of her and before I had no idea that's what it was as I thought it was just the baby moving and trying push it's way out. I feel so stupid! I've read and read and I don't think I'll know anything until it's all finished. :LOL

loveeyes.gif Mama to a lively DD (10/05) energy.gifand DS (06/23) babyboy.gif!

Old 09-10-2005, 04:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by elizaveta
I'm so confused about what are normal pains and what pains should I go to the hospital for! My book say not until you're having contrations... but I don't completely understand contractions. I know that my doctor pointed out my bh's when it happened in front of her and before I had no idea that's what it was as I thought it was just the baby moving and trying push it's way out. I feel so stupid! I've read and read and I don't think I'll know anything until it's all finished. :LOL
I feel the same way! I'm not sure what's going on & what's normal! I just go on the assumption that everything is normal unless the pain is too great! I'm not even sure when I'm having BH! I know I did this morning, I had 2 and they were pretty painful, but I haven't had any more. I mean, something hurt my whole tummy and it felt tense, so I assume BH.

My menstrual like cramps went away, they only lasted about 1 1/2 days. I see my midwife next week, so I'll let her know.

My swelling has gone way down too! It must be the weather change, it's been nice and cool the past week.

Happily married, Waldorf-inspired homeschooler to Kylan (8yo), Everest (6yo), and Bodhi (2yo)

User Tag List