A whining post. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 09-13-2005, 06:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had a really bad appointment today. And I really just wish I could run away and have my baby in the woods. I hate doctors and they seem to make everything five hundred times worse than it should be.

Well, I went today and got my first exam down there. I was sneaky-clever at avoiding them before.. but my time finally came. So, I got on the scary chair. And she says I'm a fingertip dialated. And somehow whenever I see her and she feels my stomach I start having bh. I rarely, rarely have them and whenever she gets near me I start getting them. She said that the baby is going to come early if I don't go to the hospital and lay down. I started crying and we eventually got her to agree to no bed rest and to just let me come in and get an iv. We asked what kind of medicine was there but she got nervous and mentioned like a million different things I've never even heard of. I got an ultrasound (my first since twenty six weeks) and the baby is hella big and actually in the position I thought she was in! All she would show us is her bottom and girly bits so I didn't get a good view of her face. But according to the doctor the estimated weight is 2kg (I think it's something like 4lbs). Is that normal at thirty five weeks?

I don't know. I feel like everything is going wrong. And I'm scared.

I need a hug or something!

loveeyes.gif Mama to a lively DD (10/05) energy.gifand DS (06/23) babyboy.gif!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 09-13-2005, 09:57 AM

Everything sounds fine, mama! BH are totally normal at this stage, even lots of them, and four pounds is perfect, too. But also, the ultrasound in late pregnancy is a notoriously crappy and unreliable tool for guessing weight. It can be off by a matter of POUNDS, no kidding. I wouldn't ever consent to any intervention based on a late-term u/s guess about weight. As for vaginal exams, they serve no purpose at all right now, and you don't have to agree to them if you don't want them. No need to be sneaky. Just say NO. Nothing you said makes it sound like there's any reason at all for medication or bedrest. Can you change doctors? Yours is overmanaging you.
#3 of 7 Old 09-13-2005, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelGS
Nothing you said makes it sound like there's any reason at all for medication or bedrest. Can you change doctors? Yours is overmanaging you.
I agree...she going to put you on bedrest for BH?...they are perfectly normal...for a 4lb baby?...perfect size for 35 weeks if it's accurate..what would the medication be for? Kind of scary...giving medication for no reason.

2 more weeks you are full term...being a "finger tip" dialated means nothing...just warming up.

I personally would just ignore everything she says, avoid US or examination adn enjoy the rest of the pregnancy...before you know it baby will be in your arms.

Take care
Carolyn
#4 of 7 Old 09-13-2005, 06:07 PM

Remember to breathe.

Mommy to eyesroll.gif (age 7) and mischievous.gif (age 3)

#5 of 7 Old 09-13-2005, 06:53 PM

Just wanted to let you know that with DD my doc was similar. I was dilated 1 cm for weeks and effaced 75% for 2, before i even went into labor. And she kept telling me i was going to go early (hmmm 1 week overdue isnt early last time i checked lol). So dont worry!!!! You are doing great and it means that your body is just getting ready. I read that first babies bh do a little dilating and mostly effacing! Dont let her bully you or scare you. And 4 lbs is perfect not huge at all!!! Trust your gut and just say no!!!

Loving mom to 2energy.gif ,1jammin.gif , & 1dog2.gif . Surrodaughter 4/09
#6 of 7 Old 09-15-2005, 02:44 PM

You are in charge and have the right to refuse anything. You can say no to exams, no to ultrasounds, no to whatever doesn't feel right to you. You do not have to be checked, not even when you're in labor- like the PP said, they really don't tell you anything.

I have BH's pretty much through my whole pregnancy- totally normal. In 2 weeks, your babe will be fully cooked. Some women spend weeks being a cm or two dialated.

If you really feel like going in the woods and having your baby, go for it! :LOL

Seriously, though. It's all up to you and you can do whatever you want.
#7 of 7 Old 09-15-2005, 03:17 PM

I must have a BH every hour at least.I can't imagine why your dr. would even think of putting you on bedrest for that. I also have bh's every time my midwife touches my belly. I was also almost 2 cm dilated for the last month of my pregnancy with my last two kids.
Why do you need meds? I didn't get that part.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page