How can you tell what position baby is in? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 09-17-2005, 10:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Do you know what position your baby is in? I can feel him, but I'm not sure. My midwife couldn't tell and said if they can't tell at my next appointment they would do an ultrasound...

Happily married, Waldorf-inspired homeschooler to Kylan (8yo), Everest (6yo), and Bodhi (2yo)
#2 of 12 Old 09-17-2005, 11:32 PM

You could try belly mapping, http://www.spinningbabies.com/BellyMapping.html

My baby likes to go back and forth with her back/feet from right to left. It's kinda cute. So long as she stays head down im good.

aisling
#3 of 12 Old 09-17-2005, 11:42 PM

erin, i had the same issue here. my midwife couldn't tell, so i had an ultrasound on thursday that showed he was head down. My midwife was actually leaning towards thinking he was breach, but I was almost positive he was head down. I was feeling a big bump above my navel that felt like a little butt, and elbows poking on either side.
#4 of 12 Old 09-18-2005, 03:57 AM

The theory is that, feeling from the outside, butt & head feel much the same, but head is easy to move & butt isn't. That's from Spiritual Midwifery. In my own experience, a foot in your cervix feels just like what it is.

Sabra: Mama to Bobbie (3/02), Linda (1/04), Esther (10/05), Marie (11/10), & Douglas (11/12)

#5 of 12 Old 09-18-2005, 04:38 AM

Head and butt feel the same. It's so confusing!!
This one is head down, but I swear, sometimes she still feels breech.
I feel a nice bump right under my right ribs, that's her bum. The stronger movements go up and down my left side, those are her legs. I do feel strong, movements way down low, I am guessing those are her arms, sometimes shoulders.
It was so confusing, but we had an ultrasound Friday that confirmed this.
I tried the spinning babies site, but this one is just so confusing, it didn't help much. Of course, she was sideways until our last appointment.
My midwife said she could still move out of position, but that it's unlikely since her head is her heaviest part of her body and is helping weigh her down.

Good luck figuring out the position!

heartbeat.gif heartbeat.gif heartbeat.gif

#6 of 12 Old 09-18-2005, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagesgirl
The theory is that, feeling from the outside, butt & head feel much the same, but head is easy to move & butt isn't.
That's a good theory. Now that I think of it, whenever I push on her butt it doesn't move away very far or very quickly (if at all), and she usually starts moving her legs or kicking me when I do that. :P

#7 of 12 Old 09-18-2005, 04:03 PM

My MW told me that once the baby is head down....there's no turning up bc they are head heavy. I wonder if this is true if you spend a lot of time lying down?
#8 of 12 Old 09-18-2005, 09:22 PM

I was also told by my midwives and my previous obgyn that once down and engaged they dont pop back around, not enough room to. Im not sure if the key is engaged or not?

Jellybean is head down and i've had no doubt about it. My dear children have huge heads lol and makes it much easier to distinguish their bobble heads from their adorable little rumps! Plus you can tell the difference between shoulders. This one is engaged so all i can feel any longer is her shoulders down in my cervix. My midwives said also if i want to be sure or see how far she is i can reach my own cervix and feel her head lol! So far im passing up that offer. lol

Loving mom to 2energy.gif ,1jammin.gif , & 1dog2.gif . Surrodaughter 4/09
#9 of 12 Old 09-18-2005, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovnbnhome
My MW told me that once the baby is head down....there's no turning up bc they are head heavy. I wonder if this is true if you spend a lot of time lying down?
I don't know, but I tihnk if you lie down on your back, you stand a good chance of having the baby lay it's back on your back (sunny side up) because of the heavier part of it's head weighing it down.

#10 of 12 Old 09-19-2005, 12:20 AM

I can tell only because DS felt the same. This baby is oblique, as DS was. So yes, the little pumpkin is head-down, but at an angle. I can definitely feel feet beneath my ribs.
#11 of 12 Old 09-19-2005, 02:38 AM

*If I palpate down near my pubic bone, I run into his head
*I can feel him twist his head on my cervix
*I can feel him move his fists by his head/face
*He pushes his butt/back against my left side
*I can cup my hand around his butt and bobble it back and forth.
*He stretches out his feet into my right side (don't feel those quite so much b/c the placenta is a bit anterior on the right)
*His is found on my left side

He's laying LOA.

Quote:
head is easy to move & butt isn't.
For me it was the opposite. This little guy went breech for a few days and it was harder to move his head back and forth. Now that he's vertex, it's easy to wobble his bottom/back around.

Also, when he was breech, the "bump" at the top of my uterus was MUCH harder and uncomfortable!! It was also easy to tell b/c there was A LOT(!!!) of movement down low, near my cervix.

Quote:
My MW told me that once the baby is head down....there's no turning up bc they are head heavy.
Um...not true. I've known/heard of women who have had babies turn breech DURING labor or vice versa.
#12 of 12 Old 09-19-2005, 04:48 AM

Quote:
My MW told me that once the baby is head down....there's no turning up bc they are head heavy.
It would be nice if that was true. I wouldn't have had a c-section with my first if it was. I felt her turn around twice, from breech to vertex & back again. It's uncommon for them to flip once they've settled, but it isn't impossible. I guess being engaged in your pelvis would make the difference.

I really think you should go with instinct. I was told countless times during my first pregnancy that the head I felt up top was really a butt. But it was so obvious, because every time I touched her, she'd bump up against me. I'm pretty sure this one is vertex, because when I go to try to wiggle the bump at the bottom it sort of runs away.

Sabra: Mama to Bobbie (3/02), Linda (1/04), Esther (10/05), Marie (11/10), & Douglas (11/12)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page