so, who else is feeling like a "bad mom" in these last few weeks? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 22 Old 09-27-2005, 05:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've just had NO energy lately. I haven't been taking the kids to the park or the library or anything beyond quick trips to the grocery store, really. We aren't doing projects at home. They're watching way too much TV. I haven't felt like cooking, so we've been eating way more prepackaged and convenience foods than normal (and the other day i took them out for a suprise to the Burger King drive thru! please don't kick me out of MDC :LOL ) so, fess up ladies - please make me feel better by telling me your late pregnancy parenting failures!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 22 Old 09-27-2005, 06:03 PM

Oh gosh, that sounds a lot like me

Really, I could have written the exact same thing. My poor 2 yr old is ending up cooped up in this house way too much, watching way too much PBS and videos. At least he loves reading right now and that's something we can do without me expending too much energy.

And the fast food/packaged food too! I belong to co-ops etc, get organic foods and all that. But lately I am just not as picky on it. I mean I feel bad, but at the same time I just don't have the energy to put the effort in that I normally do! We ended up eating Hamburger Helper (at least it was grass fed meat!) and we have been eating out a bit too...like Taco Bell and BK.

#3 of 22 Old 09-27-2005, 06:24 PM

I am so relieved that im not the only one feeling like such a bad mom these days. The energy has been drained from me and im lucky to get lunch made, and dinner has been either take out or drive through (my poor dd use to have the healthiest diet and hadnt had a french fry til this last month). As far as TV, the thing has been on way more than i care for it to be and i feel like im ruining the brain cells of my dd!!! Ackkk, i need to hurry up and deliver so that i can get back out and take her to parks, libraries, playdates and all those fun things our days use to be full of! I cant imagine how boring it must be for her at 23 months to be stuck inside every day. Thankfully dh is still off work and able to get her out every other day (the store or to grammies). At least he's not failing on his part of the deal!

Loving mom to 2energy.gif ,1jammin.gif , & 1dog2.gif . Surrodaughter 4/09

#4 of 22 Old 09-27-2005, 06:50 PM

I was joking the other day that someone really needed to pull my 8 year old son aside and explain to him about pregnancy hormones.

I rarely rarely yell-- just not my style, but in the last few weeks, I've yelled at him at least 3 times. (probably more- I hope not)

Each time he has just stared at me, and then done whatever it is I've wanted.

This has mostly been in the morning when he has been playing around rather than getting ready. I'm not sleeping well and having a hard enough time getting myself ready for work that I'm probably expecting more from him than I should.

I feel really really bad when I yell at him-- I mean, he probably deserves a stern talking to, but not me yelling like a maniac.

Oh and yes, we've been eating way too much pizza and takeout mexican these days....
#5 of 22 Old 09-27-2005, 06:51 PM

Uhhh, we did the Burger King thing yesterday...
#6 of 22 Old 09-27-2005, 06:53 PM - Thread Starter

mmmmm. . . pizza sounds good. . .LOL

well, I'm glad I'm not the only one. Our kids need to form a support group, you think?
#7 of 22 Old 09-27-2005, 07:01 PM

I've always thought they needed to develop a therapy IRA, just like the ones for education. I'm not so worried about my son going to college, but I'm sure he'll need thousands for therapy!!!
#8 of 22 Old 09-27-2005, 07:02 PM

Oh..here here!

I think I have been a good mom in some ways but bad in others...I am on the ball with my oldest..helping her with school work...but not as great keeping up on my 11 year old and my poor little toddler must be wondering where fun mommy went thought she is a trooper and seems quite content.

I am trying not to depend on the tv but on totally exhausted days I do let Sophia watch more than her usual half hour.

Some days I find it hard to even read a story to her but I try.

as to the fast food thing...I have to admit I have done my fair share of it lately and refuse to feel guilty. I am tired,exhausted and pregnant and by myself with 3 kids 98% of the time...some days I just don't have time to make supper.

I try to do the pizza thing though...it just seems a tad healthier than burgers and fries and a bit cheaper too.
#9 of 22 Old 09-27-2005, 07:50 PM

Okay allgirls, you're making pizza sound like a really good option right now :LOL

#10 of 22 Old 09-27-2005, 07:55 PM - Thread Starter

anyone have the # for domino's pizza on hand?:LOL
#11 of 22 Old 09-27-2005, 11:17 PM

i'm with you ladies. If anything gets done with homeschooling, etc, it's up to my husband, and he works weird hours. He's giving all the baths too, so you can about guess how clean my kids are right now! He was planning to take them somewhere tomorrow, so i can clean the house (joy of joys) and get ready for Ryvre's birthday party on Saturday--but Ryvre has developed a fever, so that might not happen I'm losing it here!
#12 of 22 Old 09-27-2005, 11:22 PM

Drive-thru lunches. Ick. I'm so disgusted with myself every time I do it.

I'm trying to really savor this time with Abigail, but I'm also SO tired. It's hard. I feel like I should be doing all these special things with her, but I'm worn out and short-tempered. The guilt is ridiculous, not to mention the sadness at losing my one-on-one time with her.
#13 of 22 Old 09-28-2005, 12:01 AM

I'm not feeling so bad after reading some of your posts . I have been doing a big share of yelling at them though. I feel so bad for them. They watch a lot of TV and I just don't have the energy to play with them. We spend a lot of time at home lately and not going to the parks and stuff that we usually do together.

However, I have been making an effort to do some baking with the kids...something new for them. We made cookies and pizza dough (they ate the pizzas all up!!! something they usually don't do )

No drive thru here...the thought of it makes me sick...I think I overdosed on it early in pregnancy :LOL

I'm sure this will pass as soon as this baby decides to join the world!
#14 of 22 Old 09-28-2005, 02:50 AM

I'm so glad I'm not alone on this one. I never thought I would encourage my 2.5 year old to watch tv so much or sit on the computer and play games on playhousedisney.com or sesameworkshop.com (he's becoming quite good!). I'm feeling very guilty though, because I actually feel like cleaning the dust off the top of my cupboards and scrubbing grout, but the idea of playing with fake vegetables all day is making me feel like puking. I just don't want to play...

And the thought of having to put together a meal that does not involve pulling it from the freezer, unwrapping it, and sticking it in the convention oven is a nightmare for me.

Susan~Mama to Atticus (2003), Creeley (2005), Townsyn (2007) and a fourth boy on the way in 2011!
#15 of 22 Old 09-28-2005, 08:42 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
yep, here too. rare trips out of the house, hardly any outdoor play, lots of TV, and more convenience food than I like. This third pregnancy is kicking my @ss and I have developed so many new symptoms that Ive never had in late pregnancy with my others. I told my midwife that I will bet that I feel better 3 hrs after I give birth than I have in the last several weeks. She concurred, said she had the same experience with her second to last child. My body is just falling apart!!!

We are homeschooling, and Im still cooking. Thats about all thats getting done though.
#16 of 22 Old 09-28-2005, 09:21 AM

Oh wow! I'm so happy to read this thread!

My poor kids. I have been getting up and taking my 2 year old to the park most days, but that is about it for the day. Once we're home, we aren't budging again! I'm done in by 6 pm, and just ready for bed. I'm cranky and short tempered most of the time now, and I just feel awful.
#17 of 22 Old 09-28-2005, 10:49 AM

OMGosh...I could have written your post!!!!

I've been SO tired, cranky, etc. I feel awful for not doing stuff with my girls yet at the same time I'm SO thankful that they play well together. Usually I just lay on the couch in the morning. We're taking a break from HS'ing right now.

Yesterday our lunch was Wendy's Frosties and french fries. :LOL
#18 of 22 Old 09-28-2005, 12:22 PM

Same here. If we do the library it is duringa quiet time, NOT for a storytime or any other time they are *busy* (like after school). I rarely take them to the grocery store with me but we do go to mall play areas, the musuem, etc. and we haven't done much of that. We just lay around at home. We cut back on TV when our television broke but we've pulled out the 13" and have used it quite a bit recently. They play really well (ever since we cut back on tv) too though.

aisling
#19 of 22 Old 09-28-2005, 08:23 PM

Right there with you.

"Would you please go watch TV."

How bad is that?
#20 of 22 Old 09-28-2005, 10:57 PM

I am with you too. I hardly take ds anywhere lately and he is eating alot less good food. :-(

We did splurge and take ds to chuckie cheese last weekend though when daddy had the day off. I just sat there while he chased him around. It was alot of fun but we did eat the pizza I ate some salad too though :LOL
#21 of 22 Old 09-29-2005, 01:35 AM

You know you can order Papa John's online?? (At least here in Tucson, pretty sure everywhere else.) :LOL
#22 of 22 Old 09-29-2005, 01:44 AM

Yup. I was so skittish of sending my son to kindergarten, but he loves school, and I get a few hours to myself. Very selfishly, those few hours make me feel so relieved and happy upon his return, that I think I'm actually a better mom to him now that he's not here 24/7 - especially as I get bigger and more uncomfortable with the pregnancy... And part of me is really looking forward to having those few hours for doting on just this new baby. I feel a little guilty, but for all the drama that I went through sending him to school for the first time (I think I was a bigger mess than most people because I had such a bad time in school), this is actually turning into a very good thing all around. For our family, anyway.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page