Wondering about after the baby... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 09-30-2005, 05:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So this is our first and we are so excited. Im just wondering about after the baby. HOw much help do we really need? Dp will be able to take a week of of work and we have close friends that live right upstairs from us. But other than that no family around, mine is in the midwest and his is a few hrs away. They will come to see the baby but wont be helping. Ive been reading around here and now am starting to get worried. Do we really need alot of help after the baby. Im not worried about a clean house or laundry and if dp will be home he can do one load of laundry before he goes back to work to have clean cloths, so other than that its just love and food. Maybe I should get to making some dinners and freeze them. Thats what I should do. BUt other than that? What else, am I missing the boat here?

Angie
#2 of 5 Old 09-30-2005, 07:11 PM

You're going to be fine! First, your sweetie is staying home for a week- good. Second, this is your first baby, so you don't have the added responsibilities that many other moms have of taking care of other children as well. You'll get to sleep when your baby sleeps, rest when you need to and slowly get used to your new role in life. With your family still small, you won't be terribly overwhelmed by cooking, laundry etc.

Once your sweetie goes back to work, things will be different. Suddenly you'll be alone w/the baby all day, and this is where social/community interaction/support can really come in helpful. When you're home all day with no one to talk to (well, at least no one with whom to carry on an actual two-way conversation) it can get isolating. Post-partum depression is more of a risk for moms who don't have a social network. So, my advice would be 2-part: First, allow yourself rest and ample recovery time that includes feeding yourself an excellent diet very very high in fresh veggies/fruits and second, be social! Ask friends to visit, and when you're ready, find other local moms or mother's groups or la leche league groups- and arrange get-togethers & keep them. This comes in very handy as the weeks & months go by and you can trade some baby-watching so you can go out for dinner or whatever & stay connected to your sweetie.

You're going to have a great time! Remember that countless women have birthed, fed & raised babies and when you feel alone, call one near you!
#3 of 5 Old 09-30-2005, 07:21 PM

I agree with eroslovesagape. You are going to be fine! I wish this was my first again! I know I had it good and didn't know it at the time. Now I have 2 other little ones to run after and take care of too. Youj might not watn to have people around for the first few weeks and that is OK...but it really is good to have someone stope by every once in a while~as baby and mama talking together is not all that exciting conversation :LOL .

I am totally lagging on freezing dinners, with my first their were a lot of people who dropped by with dinners for us, with my second their might have been one person who brought us dinner and so I am supposing that with this one we might get one dinner but I will be prepared with something in the freezer. DH is totally able to do dinner but it's just a matter of convenience to have it all ready.

You'll be great!!
#4 of 5 Old 09-30-2005, 07:55 PM

buffybut I don't mean to jack your thread, but I am so glad you posted this, cuz I was wondering the same thing!!! To the posters who replied, thanks, your advice is quite helpful to us nervous newbies! :LOL
#5 of 5 Old 10-01-2005, 01:23 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you both for your kind words and wonderful ideas, Im so excited and I know that it will be wonderful but we newbies do get panicy sometime. I cant wait

Thank you again

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page