Maybe soon? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 10-08-2005, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, since last night I've been having some contractions and in general being all achy and so on. When it start last night I had a warm gush of fluid come out. Not alot but enough to sort of soak my panties. Through the night it gushed out a little during a few contractions. My contractions were sort of all over the place. I wasn't sure if they were contractions or not but after talking to my Mil and a few other women I was told they were after I described them. Anyway they've sort of been all over the place. They last sort of a while when I do have them.. More than thirty seconds for sure and they'd come once an hour maybe sometimes within less time than that than sometimes they'd stay away. Well, the whole gushing fluid. I smelt it and it wasn't pee and it didn't seem like discharge. So I'm afraid it was my waters breaking.
And now someone told me if it was my waters I need to call the doctor straight away and get it checked out because if it was my waters then I should have to go into labour within a certain amount of time. And that it could be dangerous to the baby.

Is this bs? I really don't want to do useless trips to the hospital. The only thing I've ever heard is that once your water breaks you shouldn't have sex (ha, like I'm in the mood now anyway) as it's easier for infections to pass but I never heard that means you need to go to the doctor asap. So I thought I'd look for some advice because I know my doctor fairly well and she'll probably want to see me and I'm afraid she'll get induce happy or something and my Mil is sort of induce happy because she's visiting and wants me to pop the monster out before she leaves and already talked to the doctor about how we should try stimulation.

I just want things to go naturally and to stay at home as long as possible. But if this waters thing really is a big deal and could be horrible for the baby then I'd like to know so I can go get checked out for her sake and to be on the safe side. But I don't want to cause any stress that nobody needs.

I haven't really had that many contractions today though. Last night was hell but now I'm just achy mostly and I feel like I need to go to the toilet alot. I feel the worse when I lie down actually. Then it starts to get bad. Is that normal? I feel much better sitting up or standing/walking.

loveeyes.gif Mama to a lively DD (10/05) energy.gifand DS (06/23) babyboy.gif!

#2 of 9 Old 10-08-2005, 06:49 PM

Well I've heard there is a chance of getting an infection if you wait too long after your water breaks before going into labor. My midwife told me a good way to tell if your water has broken is to pee as much as you then take your pants and panties off and walk around the house, if you can actually feel fluid dripping down your leg then more than likely your water has broken. Good luck!
#3 of 9 Old 10-08-2005, 07:16 PM

I think there is less chance of infection if you stay at home than if you go to hte hospital...your body is used to the germs in your home....also they will want to do internal examinations which can increase the odds of infection as well.

My plan should my water break is to just make sure nothing goes near the area that could introduce infection and then just relax and wait.

I know some people take their temperature to check for infection..not sure that really helps.

It's very exciting

Good luck
#4 of 9 Old 10-08-2005, 07:48 PM

Dont forget to replenish your fluids if you are thinking its possibly a leak. The amniotic fluid will replenish every 3 hours (dont quote me could have the number wrong) and you can keep it up and strong by drinking lots and lots of water! Good luck

Loving mom to 2energy.gif ,1jammin.gif , & 1dog2.gif . Surrodaughter 4/09
#5 of 9 Old 10-08-2005, 11:59 PM

Thinking of you!!
#6 of 9 Old 10-09-2005, 12:30 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalaia
My midwife told me a good way to tell if your water has broken is to pee as much as you then take your pants and panties off and walk around the house, if you can actually feel fluid dripping down your leg then more than likely your water has broken.
:LOL :LOL :LOL :LOL

My Mother and brother in-law are visiting - I'd like to try that just to see the reactions on their faces! :LOL It's so horrible! We only have a one bedroom flat so I feel like I'm in prison! I'm too afraid to do like anything in my own house. :

#7 of 9 Old 10-09-2005, 12:33 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you everyone for the comments. I think I should be fine. I'm still achy but no big contractions or anything. The fluid kept coming out last night though. I don't know if it's just discharge or not. It's so hard to tell. It's a bit slippery like discharge. Honestly it sort of smells a little bleachy to me. : That's the only smell I can pick up. Sigh. Well, I'm just going to take it easy and try to stay at home as much as possible. I have to go to the doctor on Monday anyway.

Thank you ladies!

#8 of 9 Old 10-09-2005, 07:02 AM

Sounds like your water might have broken! Drink a lot of fluids and rest up. Trust your body.
#9 of 9 Old 10-09-2005, 09:17 AM

It sounds like it's your water. If it's just a leak, it could reseal itself. There is a greater chance of infection, but like a pp said, there is less chance of infection at home, avoiding internal exams and hospital germs. Do you know your GBS status?

Most doctors DO want to induce if your membranes have ruptured. I was induced with my second for a leaking bag. It all went great, but if I had to do it again, I would have wanted to wait it out a litte. Good luck! It's not a bad idea to keep a check on your temp, just in case.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page