Mothering Forums

Mothering Forums (http://www.mothering.com/forum/)
-   October 2005 (http://www.mothering.com/forum/296-october-2005/)
-   -   Who is Still Waiting Now? (http://www.mothering.com/forum/296-october-2005/362460-who-still-waiting-now.html)

momma2finn 10-28-2005 02:09 PM

Just curious how many Oct ddc mommas are still waiting!

It's been five days since my due date, and I'm pretty sure I'm going to have November baby now...I still have no labor signs to speak of. This also scares me-my body must know something I don't-long labor ahead?

oetien 10-28-2005 02:16 PM

Me! due date, Oct 30th.. I think I'll have a November baby!

Godiva 10-28-2005 02:58 PM

::sigh:: me STILL... Oct 11 was a loong freakin time ago!! I may end up with a Nov baby which is kinda dissapointing since the whole time i've been pregnant I've been expecting her in October. Plus she has a little halloween bib and a pumpkin carved for her...well I still have 3 days :

runes 10-28-2005 03:40 PM

hi! i'm still waiting, too! edd was 10/22, mw checked me the other day & i'm about 80% effaced and almost 3cm dilated. big difference from the week before, too, she couldn't even reach my cervix it was so posterior, so things are moving along...

i do get bouts of crampiness and pressure but nothing regular.

i think we're having a november baby!

momma2finn 10-28-2005 04:32 PM

Wow bailey228 you are a strong woman!! I'm sure she will come soon!! I'm guessing she just wants to be fashionably late!!

Godiva 10-28-2005 05:40 PM

haha my dad jokes that she's just like me when he tried to get me out the door "Just a second dad, I'm curling my hair!" so now i have this image of her sitting in there in front of a mirror curling her hair, putting on makeup... lol that or she's taking after her father too much and is procrastinating. "yeah yeah I'm comming, just a sec...."

RyvreWillow 10-28-2005 06:05 PM

i just wanted to let you mamas know i'm still here, waiting in suspense for the news of your births The board has REALLY slowed down since most of the babies have been born, lol, lotsa busy ladies i guess!

*belly hugs all around*

mamas2atti 10-28-2005 09:18 PM

I'm still waiting. I was due Monday. Went to the midwife yesterday--still no dilation, but cervix is soft at least. I started taking black and blue cohosh last night alternating every half hour. Not too tasty, but hopefully it will do something. Sex, wine and eggplant did nothing for me or my babe (well, nothing labor-wise anyway)

Physically I feel okay but mentally and emotionally I'm not doing so well. I really expected to be holding my baby by now.

melissa_honeybee 10-28-2005 10:17 PM

Another one still waiting. 9 days late. Yesterday **** 50%, 1cm. I am also starting to feel a bit of an emotional strain...

Bailey228, just wondering how you are getting away with not being induced? My MW's are saying I can't go more than two weeks. I'm not thrilled about the idea, and I'm sure I can refuse but it would be a hassle..especially if I have to get transfered to an OB. I hope I'm not being to prying...but am very curious.

Guess I'll just have to start having sex 2x a day!!

Bookworm 10-28-2005 11:27 PM

Hang in there, Mamas! Your wonderful day is coming any day now!

Godiva 10-29-2005 12:09 AM

I'm having a UC. LOL I WAS getting prenatal care from first a midwife, but she quit at about month 5 of my pregnancy so I switched to a regular OB for shadow care and guess what? She quit too!!! so after having 2 people quit on me I decided not to even bother looking for another. I check my bp at the local walmart (I swear you can do ANYTHING at that store! ) and I still feel a very healthy active little baby so I'm just gonna wait til she decides it's time.

MellyMel 10-29-2005 08:15 AM

I'm still waiting. I'm due the 31st though, so I'm sure that this will be a Nov baby

melissa_honeybee 10-29-2005 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bailey228
I'm having a UC. LOL I WAS getting prenatal care from first a midwife, but she quit at about month 5 of my pregnancy so I switched to a regular OB for shadow care and guess what? She quit too!!! so after having 2 people quit on me I decided not to even bother looking for another. I check my bp at the local walmart (I swear you can do ANYTHING at that store! ) and I still feel a very healthy active little baby so I'm just gonna wait til she decides it's time.
Huh. I was thinking about a UC if I keep getting pressured. I reallly do not want to be induced. If I can't see my midwife, I really don't want to see some OB. My mother was 10 days late with me and my sis. My MIL had all of hers 3 weeks late (and looking at the ultrasound from the Fluid check the baby looks alot like my husband.)

Why don't they let things go past 2 weeks anymore? It doesn't make any sense...

My pregnancy was a suprise, so I wasn't sure of the day of my last period... for all we know he isn't that late.. not that he is late since 38-42 weeks is considered "term," right? Ugh.

momma2finn 10-29-2005 12:51 PM

I'm a little bit worried-my MW (works in a hospital BC)scheduled an induction for me on Thursday the 3rd. : Isn't that a bit early? I really like her but I know she has to follow the hospital rules. Finn's daddy is convinced he will come on the 31st, but I'm not so sure...I really, really hope he decides to move out before Thursday...(I told him I'm going to start charging rent on the 1st!)

Do you ladies know-is it still safe to have sex after you lose the mucous plug?

melissa_honeybee 10-29-2005 02:20 PM

It is safe according to my MW. It's safe to have sex until your water breaks... as that is the main barrier to protect against infection So yeah- go for it! It can only help things along!

ETA: I lost mine a week ago, have had sex since, and no problems..

Godiva 10-29-2005 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissa_honeybee
Huh. I was thinking about a UC if I keep getting pressured. I reallly do not want to be induced. If I can't see my midwife, I really don't want to see some OB. My mother was 10 days late with me and my sis. My MIL had all of hers 3 weeks late (and looking at the ultrasound from the Fluid check the baby looks alot like my husband.)

Why don't they let things go past 2 weeks anymore? It doesn't make any sense...

My pregnancy was a suprise, so I wasn't sure of the day of my last period... for all we know he isn't that late.. not that he is late since 38-42 weeks is considered "term," right? Ugh.
Yeah I'm not entirely sure of when I'm due either. She was a MAJOR suprise being on the pill and all. I was most likely due on the 11th, but could have been due as late as the 25th. I wouldn't have gotten a positive pregnancy test when I did if I was due past the 25th. So any way you look at it, I'm overdue. Even if I wasn't having a UC, if I didn't know 100% what my baby's due date was, I would refuse to be induced at the risk of inducing a baby that wasn't ready to come out. I also agree with you that family history has a lot to do with it. Both my sister and I were born 3 weeks late. My family has always been consistant with pregnancy and birth always carrying late and delivering BIG babies. You're right it doesn't make sense not to let it go past 42 weeks. As long as the baby is healthy and thriving in there, why kick them out before they're ready? Oh.. right, women can't birth big babies naturally, if they don't induce you have to have a c section . Tell that to my aunt who delivered a 15lb baby naturally...

momma2finn 10-29-2005 04:02 PM

Wow, 15 lbs, she is a goddess in my book!! The whole inducing thing is a bit frighting...I bet not letting women using mainstream US healthcare go over 42 wks has something to do with speeding along the prenatal care. Maybe they see it as cost-effective to make sure every momma is done by 42 wks. Sounds pretty fishy. I wonder what would happen if I just didn't show up for my induction...nothing I'm sure!! We'll see how it goes. I'm raking leaves and doing yardwork at my mom's today. Hopefully all the physical activity will stir it up in there!!

Godiva 10-29-2005 04:22 PM

Don't go! Lol they really can't do anything to you. You employ them remeber? If you don't wanna be induced, don't go to be induced. I promise you even if you miss that appointment, if you go in later to deliver the baby, they'll deliver your baby inspite of you not showing for an induction. LOL they need their money off the delivery!

Sagesgirl 10-29-2005 05:37 PM

Quote:
You employ them remember?
Bears repeating.

I'm still here too, ten days past due right now. I've got hope things are starting to move along; I've been having good contrax since around 4AM (what is it with this baby and refusing to let me sleep? ) and seem to be losing whatever pieces of my mucous plug stuck around past Monday. Of course, I was also having good contractions Monday.

I'm having a UC too, so no OB or medwife to bug me about an induction or another c-section, but dear Lord I am sick of it being suggested I go to the hospital "just to get checked out".

melissa_honeybee 10-30-2005 01:57 AM

You ladies make me feel better! I'm still back and forth, I'm just hoping he comes out before it comes time to make the choice.

Yeah I know what you mean about hospitals.. I went in for a NST and the first thing the nurse said was, "So have they made plans for an induction yet?" I was like NO!! (The midwives had made no mention of it yet thankfully.) I said i wanted the baby to come out when he was ready, and she just kind of shook her head sadly..that really put me on the defensive and got me worked up!!

momma2finn 10-30-2005 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissa_honeybee
I said i wanted the baby to come out when he was ready, and she just kind of shook her head sadly
What is it with people doing that?!! Esp. nurses-I mean seriously, what do they teach in nursing/medical school? What is so terrible about trusting your body? (not to mention your baby)
I get this sad headshake all the time when I tell friends, coworkers, medical staff, or random nosy strangers my plans for natural childbirth and APing. I've stopped telling people that I'm going to CD and BF-the shocked looks and rude comments I get have made me learn to keep my mouth shut.

Sorry mommas for that rant. I feel better now

Anyway, the reason I wanted to post was to thank you all for the advice about the impending induction. I think I will discuss this with my MW on Mon...(i have a NST/fluid check) and let her know my intentions. I like to tell her what's going on, she usually does something to help me. But, maybe I'll be really lucky and baby will come before then!! (please baby, please!!)
So thanks again ladies!! I'm glad I have you all here to help me out!

*green*faery* 10-30-2005 05:33 AM

I'm still waiting...
I had my 40w appointment on Fri. (I was due Sat. 10/29) I'm "a finger tip" dilated and baby has not dropped much. They want me to come in Wed. for NST and get prostaglandin gel to help get me going. I really hope I have him before then! I don't know anything about that gel stuff (I'm going to look it up right now) but I want him to come out when he is ready Maybe tomorrow will be our lucky day...

melissa_honeybee 10-30-2005 09:41 AM

LOL I feel like I never leave MDC. Prostaglandin is what the baby produces when he's ready to come out. It's also found in semen, so that's why they recommend sex, sex and more sex to get labor going. It helps softens the cervix. Then orgasm and nipple stimulation releases oxytocin, which helps bring on contractions.

IMO, prostaglandin gel is probably the least nasty of all of the stuff to "help" labor along.

Mama2finn, I dont know..I know what you mean tho, when I tell people my due date they gasp.. it's like he's not even overdue yet! (42 weeks is still term! Geez!!) My SIL is a nurse and not like that at all.. she is young tho(24)- I think it is mostly older nurses who are like that- maybe still stuck in the past and the "old way" of labor and delivery. They should give refresher courses on that stuuf.. It's not all about anesthesia and forceps any more people!!!

Definitely discuss it with your MW, I think they do the regular stuff because of pressure... and fear of lawsuits. If you tell her how you feel she might be helpful...

My son and I just spent an hour telling baby Spencer all of the reasons why he should be born..then we jumped on the bed to get him stirred up. I know he is ready, it seems like he is awake more than he is asleep and oh so strong!

Well off to the store to get some food..I'm gonna make a big crockpot of chicken noodle soup

Godiva 10-30-2005 02:32 PM

about prostaglandin in addition to what melissa_honeybee said is that it's pig sperm. Lol I don't know about you, but I much prefer my husband's sperm to a PIG'S! I think some hospitals use a synthetic form of it (mmm chemicals) but some still use the "natural" stuff. Also prostaglandin is 10x more effective if ingested because the vaginal walls don't absorb it as easily. I agree that it's not nearly as bad as some other stuff they could do to induce, but I still think I'd just use my husband rather than a pig. Plus you can take it orally if it comes from your husband...

Mama to 4 10-30-2005 04:04 PM

No baby yet and becoming very sad.

thats all I guess!

due 10-21

akemi 10-30-2005 04:44 PM

Still waiting. Last week at my 41wk midwife appointment my midwife was going to do a stretch and sweep but my cervix was so posterior and closed it wasn't possible.

Well this morning I dreamt that my midwife had let herself into my house (while me and my husband were sleeping) and in my dream I woke up to her doing an internal exam on me saying sadly, yep, your cervix is still tightly closed up. She had also let a cat in which was hanging around our front door but was NOT our cat. Very strange dream, but an indication that this overdueness is getting to me.

I'm hopeful things ARE starting to happen though because I started loosing my mucus plug today! So maybe I'm not as closed up as my dream midwife thought

It's a gorgeous day here in Ontario so we are heading to the park to do some nice walking and see what happens! Only 2 days left for an October baby.

beansavi 10-30-2005 04:47 PM

I don;t think it means your labor will be long. If that baby is ripe and ready by being in long enough-you could go quick!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by momma2finn
Just curious how many Oct ddc mommas are still waiting!

It's been five days since my due date, and I'm pretty sure I'm going to have November baby now...I still have no labor signs to speak of. This also scares me-my body must know something I don't-long labor ahead?

momma2finn 10-30-2005 07:13 PM

i sure hope so...at wk 39 I was losing my plug, having contractions,
Then came wk 40 and everything has stopped. DP is getting very sick of me asking him to, um, perform...he is 100% convinced that baby will come tomorrow. I'm not sure why, but he has predicted it for the last two months or so. I've been begging all day for some of his "natural" prostaglandins and he keeps telling me no because I need to save my strength. He is hurting my feelings now I hate begging. It makes me feel really stupid-but I'm totally desperate for my baby to come!! I guess a Halloween baby would be super cool, but I'm not gonna get my hopes up.

momma2finn 10-30-2005 07:14 PM

akemi-what a wierd dream! Sounds ripe with pregnancy!!

*green*faery* 10-30-2005 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bailey228
about prostaglandin in addition to what melissa_honeybee said is that it's pig sperm. Lol I don't know about you, but I much prefer my husband's sperm to a PIG'S! I think some hospitals use a synthetic form of it (mmm chemicals) but some still use the "natural" stuff.
Gross, I thought I had read that before, that it's pigs sperm. I can only get dh about once a day right now, I also started with EPO. I don't even really have contractions after my dh makes a deposit or anything, no mucus plus or bloody show yet. hmmmm, looks like some of us will be continuing on the Nov. board.

Halloween baby would be really cool. You can have a costume birthday party every year and it's a perfect excuse why they can't go trick-or-treating,,,,