Rainer Matthew Keegan- finished the story - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 11-02-2005, 07:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sorry I haven't been around... we are finally home and I am finally able to sit down at a computer.

Despite our best laid plans, i.e. our scheduled c/s for October 27th, Rainer had a different idea in mind. I woke up Friday Oct 21 with the only symptom of "feeling not quite right." I went ahead and got ready for work, since it was supposed to be my last day and despite working until nearly 8 the night before, I still had a ton of stuff to get done.
Well, after getting dressed and my son fed, I started throwing up, it wasn't until then that I realized that I was feeling contractions. I tried calling my dr's office, but couldn't get through.
I woke up dp- who looked at me like I was crazy. While he got dressed and had his cup of coffee (it really isn't worth talking to him without it), I took ds to school.
After I got back, we went to the drs office for a labor check... when we got to the office, the nurse said my doc wasn't in yet and sent us to St. Joe's. We got there and they hooked me up to the monitor, I was having contractions from 3-5 minutes apart. My dp wasn't believing me-- it was nice to have the machine confirm it. He was listening to everyone else us screaming and panting and going " you can't possibly be in labor". I told him I wasn't much of a screamer and he just kept shaking his head. (course maybe he should have had two cups of coffee.)
Anyway, the doc checked and I wasn't yet dilated. The plan had been that if I went into labor early, then I was supposed to be coptered up to Phx. I really really really didn't want to do that!! Anyway, the doc said that if we promised to drive straight there, she would let us go- that she wasn't pretty sure that we had time.
So of course we promised, and of course we didn't go straight there--- we knew that we were going to be in Phx for a couple of weeks because of the baby's surgery and there were some things that needed to be taken care of at home. So we went home, packed some clothes, took out the trash, loaded the dishwasher, etc. Probably home about an hour or so.
So anyway, drove to Phx. Just past Casa Grande, I realized that my contractions were coming a bit stronger and faster so I started timing them (I hadn't up to that point because I was really trying to ignore them...), they were very regular at about 3 minutes apart. Robert started driving just a bit faster....
So got to Good Sam about 2:30 or so. Turns out my water had broken- I had kinda suspected that since I felt more drippy than usual, but it wasn't the big gush that I had had with my first child. So within an hour I was being prepped for a c/s.
Rainer Matthew Keegan was delivered at 4:36. He was immediately treated by the neonatologist (sp?), he stopped breathing for a moment and had to be put on oxygen. He was taken to the NICU (followed by papa), where his back was covered by a bandage and he was prepped for transport. They brought him in to my recovery room for a moment so I could see him- but all I could see was his nose- he was so wrapped up!!
He had surgery on his spina bifida that evening. The surgeon was great- coming by my room to explain everything beforehand and calling afterwards. Even though I was at a different hospital, he came by every day I was there to discuss his progress.
On Sat and Sun, one of the nurses was able to get me permission to leave the hospital for a couple of hours to visit my baby which was great!!! I was released on Monday. Phx Children's Hospital's NICU agreed to move the baby to a 'nesting' room so that I could stay with him fulltime and work on breastfeeding. It was a little difficult at first since he was on an IV and wasn't feeling particularly hungry. He did have a good latch, but didn't stay interested for very long.
Thursday morning they needed the room for someone else, so we were moved again to one of the NICU pods. I couldn't sleep there after that, but I'm glad that we got the opportunity to be together for those days!!
He had his second surgery- the shunt- on Thursday afternoon and that went very well.
I could go on and on, but basically, he is doing well. Acting like a 'normal' baby (as normal as they get). He cries now when he is hungry and wakes like clockwork every 3 hours.
We got released about 8pm on Tuesday. We debated spending the night in Phx and going home the next day, but decided to drive straight home.
We've been home 2 days now and everything is wonderful. He is extremely sweet and pretty good tempered. I love love this kid!!

We go back to Phx on Monday to get stitches removed and then he'll be able to lay on his back. Right now he is limited to less than an hour a day. He has great leg movement, but his ankles are weak-- hopefully some physical therapy should help. He doesn't have bladder control-- not leaky, the opposite problem-- can't go at all, so we do need to cath him several times a day, but that is pretty easy- just boring, watching pee drip out one drop at a time for 30 minutes.
But I can't stress how gorgeous he is!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 11-03-2005, 01:59 AM

Well, I sure can't wait to hear the birth story. Congratz mama.

#3 of 8 Old 11-03-2005, 11:19 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
congratulations! I have a friend who had a scheduled repeat c-section planned, and she ended up with a precipitous unmedicated labor and a surprise vbac. Baby didn't get the memo I guess *grin*
#4 of 8 Old 11-03-2005, 12:03 PM

congratulations and welcome Rainer!!
#5 of 8 Old 11-03-2005, 07:23 PM

welcome rainer

heartbeat.gif heartbeat.gif heartbeat.gif

#6 of 8 Old 11-03-2005, 09:53 PM

Welcome Rainer!!! Congrats Mama!! Can't wait to hear the story!
#7 of 8 Old 11-04-2005, 09:04 PM

Congratulations!!!
I am glad everything went well!
I hope his recovery is speedy! Enjoy your little man!!

heartbeat.gif heartbeat.gif heartbeat.gif

#8 of 8 Old 11-04-2005, 09:35 PM

congrats mama!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page