October baby chat thread - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 41 Old 11-03-2005, 10:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just thought maybe those of us with babies could chat in this thread and not leave behind our sisters who haven't given birth yet.

Well the inlaws left today...yay! 2 days ago I was scared to death but now I feel much better physically. My cold is gone except for the cough and the baby has slept incredibly well the past 2 nights...she's a milk-aholic during the day but only one feeding between 11pm and 7am the past 2 nights...mornings seem to be her wide awake time.

She is not a back sleeper...but she is so strong...I put her on her back and she immediately rolls to her side! She is really filling out and is quite chubby. She fits our family so well...definitely the baby for us!

So I am getting ready to shower...both babies are asleep right now. Do you think it will happen? I can only hope!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 41 Old 11-03-2005, 10:31 PM

I hopped in the tub with my DS today when it was his bath time and Piper was nearby sleeping in her bassinet.

Piper is rolling onto her side as well, very quickly after I put her on her back as well! She has some cute baby fat accumulating as well.

Both kids are sleeping now. I actually got my DS to bed tonite in his own bed. He will crawl into bed with me and Piper in the early morning hours but that's alright. I'm really happy I got himto take a nap yesterday as well, I need to start doing that every day again. He has been such a cranky kid at night without his nap. It just takes about an hour for me to get him to sleep for a nap.

There's not too much to report about Piper, except that she is such a little sweetheart and such an easy baby. She nurses, sleeps, poops and pees very well, lol. And she's having more and more awake time where she is just so alert with her big eyes wide open and she smiles for us so much. I love our familiy of four

I have to share two new pictures from three days ago:

Brother and Sister

Bright Eyes

#3 of 41 Old 11-03-2005, 11:26 PM

Thanks for sharing baby stoires with us...gives us something to look forward to.

And tears in my eyes for not leaving us behind...it won't be much longer!

Susan~Mama to Atticus (2003), Creeley (2005), Townsyn (2007) and a fourth boy on the way in 2011!
#4 of 41 Old 11-03-2005, 11:38 PM

so, aidan was up to 9lbs and 21 1/4 inches at our WIC appointment this week. The lady who weighed him said "you mean HE was preterm?!?!?" so, that's up 2 inches and 2lbs 11 oz in the 4 1/2 weeks since he was born. he will also roll to his side if i lay him on hisback, and actually almost made it all the way over the other day. DS1 rolled over from back to tummy for the first time at 3 weeks, so nothing would suprise me!

i wish Aidan was sleeping as well as your kids at night, though. he sleeps well during the day, but most nights is up every two hours minimum. A couple of nights, I've pumped milk for DH to give him so I can get a few hours straight and retain my sanity. I was planning on him being the baby that never got a bottle (this is the first that I've been able to SAH with), but oh well - I'm very prone to depression and anxiety, and for insurance reasons I'm not currently on my meds, so when I say my sanity is at sake, I really do mean it. For the most part, he's an absolute doll though. We're getting lots of real smiles, especially when DD talks to him.

And I have to share this TMI with other mothers, who will care . Aidan has started spacing out his poops - once every few days. Well, today was day 4, and he finally went. OH MY GOD! it was the most poop I've ever seen, I think . It went right out the diaper, right out the cover, and soaked his sleeper! That's the first time in my history of CDing that I've ever had a poop escape both the dipe AND the cover. There was NO space on the inside of that diaper not COVERED in poo!

okay, that was the highlight of my day - is that sad? I'm taking my entertainment when and where I can find it!
#5 of 41 Old 11-04-2005, 01:29 AM

Hi everyone! Glad to see a chat for us here...I actually thought of doing thid the other day but didn't know if anyone would be here to chat.

So Noah is an angel. He is so easy and sweet. Today we got hand and footprints done in bronze, he's 11 days old. We got both of our other kids hand and feet done when they were 11 days old too. It's fun to see how small they are. The kids like to look at them too and see how small they were.

He also took his first bath today...is this late or too early? I have no idea, but we had the energy to give him a bath today. His belly button has completely healed...fastest ever~we used goldenseal to help it dry out. Anyway he LOVED his bath!! He just lay there in the water and soaked...so cute!

Showers will be a little challenging...DH still has a week off so I will be fine until he goes back to work...but I'll have to fight my way in there soon enough! I remember when dd was born I wouldn't have a shower for days! Ah well...such is life!

Worldshakerz~your kids are adorable!!!! Love the pics!

Jeri~I love the poop story!! DD was just like that too (holding her poop in for several days at a time). Congrats on the great weigh in!!
#6 of 41 Old 11-04-2005, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter

ok...so two baby monitors.. confusing! I hear a noise and have to try to figure out which baby it is. I left Martina in my bed...she is very noisy...grunts and snorts and "talks" in her sleep. Otherwise she is the happiest, most contented baby ever...She had 2 full days of crying like she was in agony...I was at my wits end..never had a baby cry that way like she ws hurting...thought of taking her to the Dr.(yes, this is baby #4 but I still worry) now she is so quiet I am thinking something is wrong with her ..Us mommies will figure out some reason to worry!

So she's here in front of me in a baby seat...figure it's my last chance to type today...kind of hoping she stays in there and settles for me to grab a shower. Hubby gets home tonight so all is not lost...I can shower later.

Martina's belly button stump fell off but it looks bad. not red but kind of yucky with a green spot. I have golden seal powder..is there a way to use that to dry it up? infuse it and dab it on?

World Shakerz...your kids are adorable. I actually took a pic of Sophia and Martina that came out nice but my camera died so when batteries are charged and I have a few minutes I will upload.

I am hoping to get a pic of all 4 of my girls...but with school and my oldest having a job it's kind of hard to get them all together and in a good mood. Maybe tomorrow!

So yesterday was completely on my own and I consider it a success! No yelling, crying etc. The only glitch was when hubby called last night and mentioned that when I am ready there is some work I can do at home for the company(we just started our own trucking business) and explained it to me and I started to get a little upset. I am 8 days pp....can we just wait a little before we get into this. The thought of it is overwhelming right now but I am sure I can do some things when things settle down. It would be research on computer and contacting where loads would be dropped for directions etc. Easy peasy, maybe a few hours a week.

Of course right now I would be happy to do it as long as the money I earned goes for a cleaning lady!

Mamas2atti~I think we should keep this thread here until all our babies are here and then move to LWAB...I was wayyyy overdue once and felt kind of abandoned at the end. So we will be here to cheer you on! And you are right..your babies will be here soon!
#7 of 41 Old 11-04-2005, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter

#8 of 41 Old 11-04-2005, 02:00 PM

what a beautiful little baby! I love the first picture with your two girls, so sweet
#9 of 41 Old 11-04-2005, 03:39 PM

allgirls they are adorable!!! kids are so sweet
#10 of 41 Old 11-04-2005, 08:29 PM

Oh, what a cute baby girl . I love the picture of the both of them too, it's so sweet.

#11 of 41 Old 11-04-2005, 10:39 PM

All these babies are so beautiful!

Quote:
I actually got my DS to bed tonite in his own bed. He will crawl into bed with me and Piper in the early morning hours but that's alright. I'm really happy I got himto take a nap yesterday as well, I need to start doing that every day again. He has been such a cranky kid at night without his nap. It just takes about an hour for me to get him to sleep for a nap.
April, your home sounds just like mine. I think our toddlers also both weaned around the same time, didn't they?
#12 of 41 Old 11-05-2005, 12:55 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
hey girls! we finally got the internet at our place so i can talk to you again...hooray!

haye is doing really well minus the thrush...does anybody know any home remedies for either of us so i can take him off antibiotics?

as for rolling over, the day we got him home he rolled over and it freaked me out...we got it on video.

here's some new pictures of haye!

haye's new toque

haye and grandma

deadwear haye

future revolutionary

laundry

mama to 8 year old h  and 3 year old z

#13 of 41 Old 11-05-2005, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter

antibiotics for thrush? sweetie...antibiotics cause thrush...um...you need gentian violet (or a yeast cream or diflucan...if you go the medical route) but gentian violet works for me...it's cheap and lots of drugstores carry it...a wee bit messy though.

i put it on my nipple before bedtime and baby would coat her mouth by nursing...treat both nipples and wear old bra or nusing pads...it can stain clothes so use something older for baby as well. I have never spoiled anything with gv but can see it could happen.

I hope it clears up soon!

Eta...went back and looked at pics...he's gorgeous!!
#14 of 41 Old 11-05-2005, 02:17 PM

ryleeee your laundry is adorable!! welcome back!!

we are doing good. today is my oldest's 4th birthday and my youngest is 2 weeks old. we are having a party for him and everyone is coming to meet little Noah . should be fun.

noah loves to sleep these days. i am getting a lot of things done. i had this big rush to do things before he was born and now that he is here all he does is sleep and nurse and so i can get some of the other things done. good thing bc the projects are endless!!!
#15 of 41 Old 11-05-2005, 04:22 PM

Rowan is now 2 weeks old - sometimes it seems like ages ago that she was born and, at other times, it seems like just yesterday. She is eating well and was back to her birth weight this past thursday. She is a bit of a lazy latcher which has been a bit frustrating for me - i have to wait for her to open wide enough to get a good latch and sometimes it seems to take ages. I know she is hungry and she hasnt' been crying so i know it isn't because of that.

My husband is home still which is great - we both are off from work until january actually. we are starting to get out of the house a bit more which is really fun. life is good!
#16 of 41 Old 11-05-2005, 05:48 PM

gentian violet..i'll have to get that.

#17 of 41 Old 11-05-2005, 07:29 PM

Fitmama, it looks like your DS is just a month younger than mine. My DS was pretty much weaned in the last 2 months of my pregnancy since my milk went away and I couldnt' stand it anymore. I tried tandeming for about a week and then cut him off again because it was very hard to juggle for me, especially at night when he was nursing like a newborn again...like for like an hour and then as soon as I would try to get up he would wake up. I consider him weaned however in the last few days he has gotten (in his own words) "Just a little sip, and the rest a baby's". He's been sick and it's been once a day the last 2 days for about 10 seconds. I don't mind giving him some once in a while if he really truely needs it...like if nothing else will distract him. It's definitely just for comfort at this point if hugs/cuddles etc won't do it.

ryleee..good to see you around again. Little Haye is looking cute as ever...sleeping in the laundry basket, so cute!

#18 of 41 Old 11-05-2005, 09:48 PM - Thread Starter

I have been tandem nursing and it gets a bit overwhelming at times....my dd had almost weaned and with this delicious new milk wants to nurse a lot more. Fortunately she is in her own room at night and never wakes to nurse.

Baby has settled into a pretty decent pattern...2 - 3 hours for nursing and at night only 2 feedings between midnight and 8am...she does cluster feed for about 3 hours in the evenings though which helps her through the night.

I went to the mall today...my 15year old had a gift card that was burning a hole...she bought proactiv for her acne...very expensive...I hope it works. I chipped in 48bucks for it as well..but it's a 6 month supply.

I am exhausted...time to get off my feet
#19 of 41 Old 11-06-2005, 05:03 PM

Hi, just thought I'd check in. I looked at life with a babe for an October thread, but I guess not yet!

My baby is three weeks old...doing great. He is sleeping pretty well, but I think he's having a growth spurt or something because he was sleeping a five hour stretch (!!!) but now he's down to maybe three hours at the most. Still, I feel lucky because I nursed dd every half an hour for the first few months, so this is heaven. He is just so easygoing and will fall asleep for dh if he jiggles him or walks him, which is also a miracle for us.

Dd is sort of a terror right now, but that's normal, right? i feel like I am saying "stop that!" or "don't!" every five seconds, even though we try to not say that too much...it's hard when it's pretty much dangerous stuff like smacking the baby's head.

but generally things are going fine. My dh is home for a few more weeks and I am sooooo glad!
#20 of 41 Old 11-07-2005, 12:02 AM

Maybe you second time (or more) mommas can let me know what you think of this -

My son is 16 days old today, and for the past 6 or 7 nights in a row, he has slept for about 7 hours straight through the night. Usually it seems like he sleeps from about midnight to seven, but once he slept from 9 pm till almost 6 am. He sleeps in the bed with his dad and I, he breastfeeds very frequently throughout the day, he has the appropriate number of dirty diapers, and he's gaining weight slowly. He was a big baby when he was born - 9 lbs and 8 oz.

So I'm kind of in a pickle here because I know he should be feeding throughout the night, but I also kind of believe that babies know when they need to eat and they'll let you know. He's by no means shy to let me know when he wants to feed at 7 am. Should I be waking him up after 2 or 3 hours to feed him? Should I let sleeping babies lie? I talked to my lactation nurse about it, and she kind of said that I should feed him during the night, but she didn't make a very big deal about it and left me feeling that maybe she didn't think it was something to be too concerned about.

TIA October Mommas,
Rose
#21 of 41 Old 11-07-2005, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryleeee
gentian violet..i'll have to get that.
It usually comes in a 1% solution--make sure you dilute with water to 1/2% solution or it could be harmful when rubbed inside baby's mouth.

Susan~Mama to Atticus (2003), Creeley (2005), Townsyn (2007) and a fourth boy on the way in 2011!
#22 of 41 Old 11-07-2005, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosie_plus_one
So I'm kind of in a pickle here because I know he should be feeding throughout the night, but I also kind of believe that babies know when they need to eat and they'll let you know. He's by no means shy to let me know when he wants to feed at 7 am. Should I be waking him up after 2 or 3 hours to feed him? Should I let sleeping babies lie? I talked to my lactation nurse about it, and she kind of said that I should feed him during the night, but she didn't make a very big deal about it and left me feeling that maybe she didn't think it was something to be too concerned about.
I own a business that employs several IBCLCs and I know they would tell you a 3 week old with slow weight gain should be awaken at least once during that stretch to eat. Every 2-3 hours is not absolutely necessary, as he might cluster feed before he goes to sleep for the night, but at this point your breasts need to be stimulated and baby needs to eat at least 8-12 times in 24 hours and probably on the higher end for slow weight gain. Each case is very individualized so this is just *general* information. I would wake him up after about 5-6 hours to get that extra feeding in and see if that helps with the weight gain.

#23 of 41 Old 11-07-2005, 12:52 AM

Rosie, is he having any issues with jaundice? if he is, I'd wake him, because jaundice can make babies sleepy. also, you say he's gaining weight slowly - but how slow is slow? if he's having enough poops and pees, and is still gaining, i wouldn't worry *too* much about it - but I might try waking him right before you go to bed to sneak in a feeding. Also, if you wake before him, you might try waking him up as soon as you wake up to see if you can entice him to eat. fwiw, though, my dd was not much older than yours when she started sleeping through. She was a very content baby, and one of the only things I could do that would make her cry was to try to get her to nurse when she didn't want to and would rather be sleeping. She didn't have slow weight gain, though, so YMMV.

Anyhow, last night was a night from hell for me. My two older kids have the 2nd cold they've had since Aidan was born. DH slept in the living room with ds because he was having a hard time breathing and would sleep in his room. DD kept waking herself up coughing and going to look for DH. Aidan woke up every hour or so - I changed 5 poopy diapers between 11PM and 5AM. in that time, the longest stretch of sleep I get was about 20 minutes at a time. Aidan was ridiculously gassy, and nothing seemed to help. he was waking himself up with his farts, spitting up constantly, wanting me to be sitting up with him at the breast, but not actually nursing, etc. around 5:30AM, I finally woke up dh and handed him off and let him give him a bottle of EBM. ugh. i was at the point that i was falling asleep *while* he was crying, and I figured that couldn't possibly be good. i got a couple of hours of sleep, and a little more in the afternoon. I'm starting to wonder if our night time sleep problems might be due to something dietary or reflux or something. i don't get why he sleeps fairly well during the day, though - if it was dietary, or reflux, wouldn't that affect him all the time? I still kick myself for not being more proactive when DS1 was a baby - in retrospect, I'm sure he had reflux - but he also cried all the time, had to be carried and bounced, didn't sleep well day or night, and had to be laying on some one in a somewhat upright position to be able to sleep at all. Aidan will sleep laying down during the day, but night time is just really rough for him. He's still not particularly cranky at night, but he seems to want to nurse, but is unable to (you know, the latch on, latch off type behavior?) anyway, I'm pretty tired - that was the point of this post.
#24 of 41 Old 11-07-2005, 12:57 AM

allgirls, that's great that you are tandeming. I was feeling extremely ambivilent about it 2 weeks ago but now the idea doesn't seem so bad. Since Jakob has been sick these past few days he's been wanting to nurse. Tonite he got 10 seconds on each side when I put him down to sleep and he was fine with that. He's been okay with a very little bit these past few days. I may continue on a "don't offer, don't refuse" basis. However when he asks I think I will continue to see if anything else will meet his need first such as a snack, a drink of water, hug and a kiss, etc. Also, I think limiting the length of the nursing session works well for us too.

#25 of 41 Old 11-07-2005, 02:10 AM

Eclipse - No problems at all with jaundice. Everyone has said he's an incredibly healthy baby. Let's see - he was born at 9 lbs 8 oz, and dropped to 8 lbs 13 oz before we left the hospital. Then a week later he was up to 9 lbs 5 oz, but due to some problems breastfeeding, he lost a few ounces over a 4 day period. He weighed in at 9 lbs 3 oz on Thursday, 13 days after he was born.

I would say that he feeds at least 10 times during the day - he feeds almost every hour, then is very content to sleep through the night. He did wake up last night after about 4 1/2 hours to feed, but that was the first middle of the night feed we'd had in quite a while.

Rosie
#26 of 41 Old 11-07-2005, 11:40 AM

i woke haye up if he slept more than 4 hours at a time to feed him.
it turns out he was usually SUPER hungry and if he wasn't he just fell back asleep.

#27 of 41 Old 11-07-2005, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter

my baby sleeps a lot at night...she's 11 days old and usually has at least one 5 hour stretch....I am not concerned...it may change, it may not...but she eats up a storm all day and cluster feeds for several hours in the evening. I nurse on demand. We haven't weighed her since day three but she's gaining. I am using up my disposables before switching to cloth and she has outgrown the newborn ones and is up to the size one package(which is all gone after today!) and she fills out her 3mos jammies quite nicely now! Several pairs are really getting too tight!

I think you should look at your baby and make the decision...Martina is so healthy and chubby and content...I think the sleep is as important to her growth as the milk is!

tandeming is a bit overwhelming...but mostly very satisfying...I love how Sophia holds Martina's hand when they are nursing at the same time. The other day they both fell asleep and I was stuck in the chair. My eleven year old came home and I said can you take the baby please...I have to pee...it was so funny...thankfully it was only half an hour before she came home...I do not nurse them at the same time if I am alone now! Of course Sophia is nursing more now because she loves the milk and she sees me nurse more so it reminds her. This morning she said..."can I have a widdle sip pwease" while baby was nursing...so cute. She is getting better at waiting her turn.

Ryleee..yeah...make sure to dilute the GV...I forgot I did that 2 years ago!

My oldest dd who is 15 and her friend made dinner last night...caesar salad, mashed potatoes, cauliflower with cheese sauce(I made sauce), and honey/garlic chicken(I am a vegetarian but DH said it was great) with a huge cherry cheesecake for dessert...I had 2 pieces I am down 22lbs since baby came...I gained 40 and was already up a few extra before I got pregnant. So the cheesecake is my last hurrah! I am trying to eat right and lose very slowly so I am down to my normal weight by next summer...not lofty goals but with tandem nursing and a nice healthy diet I think achievable...I figure 9mos to gain, 9 mos to lose!

Of course now that I am not pregnant I can enjoy a bit of wine with dinner occasionally as well...nice!
#28 of 41 Old 11-10-2005, 10:31 PM - Thread Starter

Wow is it quiet here!

Bailey...how are you doing?

We went for a weigh in for Martina...10lbs 9 oz...what a big girl at 15days old!

On the way in Martina started crying and Sophia started singing twinkle twinkle little star to her and she immediately stopped crying! Then went to sleep...tonight we went to pick up Christi at her friends and same thing happen...immediately when Sophia starts singing baby stops crying and falls asleep...Sophia is very proud of her big sister success!

Oh...and my van got T-boned in the grocery store parking lot~$3100 worth of damage to the passenger side. The front panel, front door and the bottom panel on back door have to be replaced. I can't even open the door on the front. But the lady that hit me was very nice and we exchanged information. Her insurance will cover the damage. She was driving a Ford Taurus and the bumper is pretty squished. I have a Ford Freestyle so the damage is down low.

At least no one was hurt though I have a cut on my thumb..no idea how it is possible to do that...couldn't find anything sharp in the van that might have caused it.
#29 of 41 Old 11-10-2005, 11:26 PM

I'm doing the best I can concidering I have a bowling ball between my legs (my mom claims that I don't look like I've dropped, I told her that if I drop any lower, the baby will be crowning!) and the extra 90lbs I'm lugging around (uh yeah, the longer shes in there the bigger I get!). My attutide is much better than it was last week though. Last week I was emotional, bitter, and thought that baby would never come out. Now I'm feeling pretty positive and I know that she will come out. I've been pregnant so long, what's another week or 2? I'm glad to hear that you and your girls are ok allgirls! That must be terrifiying to be in an accident with your kids in the car. I used to have the WORST lead foot before I was pregnant (after getting me an old muscle car, my dad told me "this isn't a grandma car, don't drive it like it's one". I really don't think he thought I would take that to heart as much as I did) but now, the most I go is 5 over, and I'm so careful before pulling out or anything. That is so cute about Sophia singing Martina to sleep! What a good big sister! Oh, if anyone is intersted, you can see 44 week pregnant pics here 44 weeks
#30 of 41 Old 11-11-2005, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter

Bailey...you look gorgeous! 44 weeks! That is so cool...I know it doesn't seem that way to you but it's really awesome that you are letting this go naturally! Your baby will be here soon! You look so ready!

OK...must change my siggy...my oldest noticed yesterday it said she's 14 and she's 15...better get right on that!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page