how do you get your kiddo to calm down? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 11-06-2005, 12:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
seriously the only thing that works sometimes is the blow dryer. haye LOVES to have it on, whether it's blowing on him or just near him. he also loves the red heat lamp in our bathroom, and heavy metal. in his carseat, he has headphones and a discman and he used to listen to the beatles only but i got sick of it...then i discovered that he automatically calmed down to 3 inches of blood and mortification...so that's what we use. he also loves the bellrays...anyways, i thought that was funny and could always use new suggestions for ways to keep him entertained/happy so share away. oh, i also put him on the dryer and in the warm laundry...

the carseat

photosmile2.gif mom to 5 year old haye REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif(9.27.2005) and brand new baby zaobabyf.gif(5.23.2011)
#2 of 10 Old 11-06-2005, 01:09 AM

we used to put ds on the washer and the dryer, ran the vacuum, the blow dryer and we used to hold him a lot... he never calmed down in the car (too quiet) or in the stroller like some people would say that he would... changing his diaper sometimes worked too... i did a lot of nursing and holding him...and he loved baths! he eventually grew out of that crying phase that happens around 6 weeks old ... sorry that might not help you at all but that is what we used to do. good luck...i hope someone else has better help for ya
#3 of 10 Old 11-07-2005, 12:07 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Nursing was it for my oldest. And in the car, classical music.

Taking a bath or a shower worked best for my second, and jiggling her carseat in the car.

Natural sunlight works best for Felicity. Im hoping that Christmas lights and candlelight work well for her in the evenings here in a bit, because not much except my husband's spider lamp (has about 6 adjustable individual lights on arms that you can position anywhere) will calm her once the sun has gone down. Jiggling her carseat works well in the car too.

None of mine took pacifiers. Ever.
#4 of 10 Old 11-07-2005, 03:45 PM

For my eldest dd putting her in her vibrating bouncy chair in the bathroom with the shower running as loud as it could go, would get us about 30 mins breaks from her colic. In the car only Enya.

With dd#2 her sister talking to her works in the car, other then that she isnt much of a crier!

Loving mom to 2energy.gif ,1jammin.gif , & 1dog2.gif . Surrodaughter 4/09
#5 of 10 Old 11-07-2005, 05:20 PM - Thread Starter

haye isn't a crier either, unless he is cold. or pooping. he doesn't like to poop!

photosmile2.gif mom to 5 year old haye REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif(9.27.2005) and brand new baby zaobabyf.gif(5.23.2011)
#6 of 10 Old 11-09-2005, 02:10 PM

Ana calms if Adam uses his hypnobirthing voice. [The tone of voice he used when reading my the hypnobirthing scripts]
She also calms to the sound of running water [she was a water baby! ]
And she also calms when she's placed in my arms and I kiss her face.

heartbeat.gif heartbeat.gif heartbeat.gif

#7 of 10 Old 11-12-2005, 07:43 PM

My dd doesn't cry usually unless she's hungry and you're being too slow or if she wants attention. And I've learned how to tell the difference between the cries. But if she needs calming down she usually wants her Mama and some Nirvana, Metallica or something heavy. She got that from her father!

loveeyes.gif Mama to a lively DD (10/05) energy.gifand DS (06/23) babyboy.gif!

#8 of 10 Old 11-12-2005, 08:14 PM

Martina is incredibly mellow! I put her down and she just lays there and explores the world with her eyes...if she gets bored she just needs to see me...she fusses before she cries so she rarely cries as I respond to the fussing before it gets to the crying stage.

She will cry if she wakes up really really hungry. She has a jiggly chair that I can lay her in if I am tending to another kid and need a minute. She's hungry right now and is sucking her fist. I will get her before she cries.

She maybe cries 5 minutes a day most days.
#9 of 10 Old 11-13-2005, 12:04 AM - Thread Starter

Alyona and Haye could be best friends!
Haye is REALLY into heavy metal.
He instantly falls asleep.

#10 of 10 Old 11-13-2005, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryleeee
Alyona and Haye could be best friends!
Haye is REALLY into heavy metal.
He instantly falls asleep.
Yeah, if I ever want to put her to sleep nice if I start playing something soft she'll take forever but if I put on something heavy she'll be out within a few minutes. Weird! And the noise doesn't seem to bother her. Which is good because he live in a one bedroom flat and I keep her out in the sitting room with me during the days and I don't have to worry about playing music!

loveeyes.gif Mama to a lively DD (10/05) energy.gifand DS (06/23) babyboy.gif!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page