Connor's Birth Did Not Go As Planned - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-16-2005, 04:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
November 2, at 7:00 am, Connor Roy was born by emergency C-section instead of in the comfort of my own home. I'm not devestated, but definitely disappointed.

My uterus is aimed toward my back, and so Connor's head pressed into the sde of the birth canal instead of on the cervix. After 20 hours of increasingly dreadful contractions, I was only dilated to 2-1/2, and the pain was so awful I cried with each contraction. I was so exhausted I finally gave up and asked my midwife to take me in for an epidural. Once the epidural kicked in, my blood pressure dropped and Connor's heart rate plummeted to 55.

The doctor said I needed a C-section because at the rate I was progressing he couldn't gaurantee the stress wouldn't cause Connor permanent damage, and augmenting the contractions with drugs would just make things worse. He seemed put out that I turned to my midwife for her opinion. She said it seemed like the best thing at this point. So, I consented. When Connor came out, he was covered from head to toe in meconium.

My midwife and I have gone over events over and over again, trying to figure out what we could have done differently. We haven't found any viable alternatives.

For the first 2 days Connor stayed in my room with me. I kept him skin to skin and he slept on my chest. The second day, they measured his bilirubin and said it was too high and he had to go under lights. They would only bring him to me to be fed every 3 hours, and in the meantime they supplemented him with formula to try and flush out his system. I didn't like this because I needed to keep my milk up and didn't like him on formula, so they brought me a breast pump, and I put my colostrum in syringes and they fed him my colostrum instead. This was harder than the c-section because I didn't have my baby with me.

We had to rent a bilirubin box when we came home because his levels were still high but it was so hard to put him in there as much as they wanted to I held him in my arms next to the box instead. His levels probably would have dropped faster if I had been more compliant and given him the direct light but I couldn't stand the sound of his cries. I don't know how ANY parent can accept the "cry it out" philospohy of parenting. You have to shut your whole heart down to withstand your baby's cries!!!

Now we are off the box and Connor sleeps in my arms and spends his days in my lap, nursing whenever he darn well feels like it. I am amazed that two cells held the blue prints for the folds in his little ears, the code to his elbows, the instructions for each toe. He is so miraculous, and I can't help staring at him.

My only question now is what to do differently next time to avoid a repeat c-section.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2005, 04:32 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
that made me cry.
i'm sorry everything went so rough for you.
i'm so glad you and connor are doing alright.

mama to 9 year old h  and 3 year old z

Old 11-16-2005, 04:36 PM

Very sweet!

Congrats on your son

I am sorry it did not go as you had planned. I am so glad that you are both healthy and doing well.

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

Old 11-16-2005, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisaterry
. I am amazed that two cells held the blue prints for the folds in his little ears, the code to his elbows, the instructions for each toe. He is so miraculous, and I can't help staring at him.
Yep it's pretty darn amazing...my newest dd looks just like her daddy and it's incredible...she came out of me and looks like him

Congratulations on your son. As to the c-section...not sure what you could have done differently. Sounds like it was one of those things that happens sometimes.
Old 11-16-2005, 07:47 PM

Congrats! And after everything you've been through sounds like there is nothing differently to do. You are an awesome momma and Connor is so blessed to have found his way into your arms!

Loving mom to 2energy.gif ,1jammin.gif , & 1dog2.gif . Surrodaughter 4/09
Old 11-16-2005, 09:57 PM

Congrats Momma! Hope you can heal from your experience (emotionally) in time, and when you have your next, you'll have a smooth and easy VBAC!
Old 11-16-2005, 10:31 PM

Congrats on your babe.
I had a cesarean birth too and it can be tough. Check out the c-section support thread and VBAC stuff here.
Old 11-17-2005, 09:25 PM

congrats on your new little boy! He's lucky to have a mama who worked so hard for him!
Old 11-18-2005, 04:46 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for your comments and support. The Mothering community has been so supportive and uplifting throughout the pregnancy, and look forward to the continued strength and insight I will be priveleged to have as a first-time mommy.
Old 11-18-2005, 08:05 PM

Congrats Mama!! Welcome to your new precious little one!!! What an angel he sounds like. I am also sorry that the birth didn't go as planned, but now you can hold and love him from now until forever!

Good for you for pumping your colostrum and having them feed it to Connor!!! THAT is the BEST thing you could've done for him at that point in his life!!!

Congrats again!!
Old 11-18-2005, 09:28 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Congratulations on your beautiful baby, mama!!!!
Old 11-18-2005, 09:36 PM

Sometimes I think Life just happens. And it happens in so many different ways. Connor is happy and healthy and you both are so in love. I am glad you had options in today's world to help you and Connor when he was obviously under so much stress (with all that Meconium). I'm sure your midwife can ponder with you later on things to do for that positioning of the uterus. I had both of my babies with a midwife, and plan to with number three, but have the ultimate gratitude there are things to help us if we truly need it, which you did.
Old 11-25-2005, 01:05 AM - Thread Starter

It is hard to not feel let down by not having the birth I wanted, but ultimately we must do what is most right for our babies and be grateful that the technology exists when we need it. Connor's bilirubin is still somewhat high after 3 weeks, and he has to get his heel pricked (and then squeezed...) every several days. It's hard to hear him cry because I don't let him cry, I meet his needs ASAP. But at least he is home with me!

I love it when he giggles in his sleep...
Old 11-25-2005, 01:12 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Congratulations on your new boy! You are amazingly strong and did everything you needed to do to birth him.

User Tag List