Biggest Loser Season 7!! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 417 Old 01-26-2009, 02:10 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
YAY!! For anyone who misses the Tuesday show at it's normal time, Fine Living Network re-airs them (it's midnight EST on Sunday and I'm watching).

Edited to add that I saw a commercial and they replay the weeks episode on Saturday and Sunday at 9pm EST
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 417 Old 01-28-2009, 01:33 PM

Anyone else jumping up and down in excitment over Dan's "how he looks now"? I am so excited that he is sticking with it and working so hard. I feel confident that he is going ot keep going. I can't wait to see him at the finale! Dave, well, I'm not surprised and it makes me sad that because he was left to do this at home and decided not to take the ball, so to speak, he missed out. He could have really used Jillian. But he did quit smoking which is a huge plus and maybe some of Dan's hard work will inspire him.
#63 of 417 Old 01-28-2009, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coleslaw View Post
Anyone else jumping up and down in excitment over Dan's "how he looks now"? I am so excited that he is sticking with it and working so hard. I feel confident that he is going ot keep going. I can't wait to see him at the finale! Dave, well, I'm not surprised and it makes me sad that because he was left to do this at home and decided not to take the ball, so to speak, he missed out. He could have really used Jillian. But he did quit smoking which is a huge plus and maybe some of Dan's hard work will inspire him.
I really think that those who got sent home in the first month got totally screwed. If they really could stick to a diet and exercise program, most of them would have as well. Part of the reason this works (well, short term for most), is that by being at the ranch...they are away from a lot of their old triggers and are with a bunch of people totally committed to making them succeed. I know the BL folks have their 30 day jump start book coming out, but I really think they played with those people's lives just to have a good promotion. :

Mom to DS(8), DS(6), DD(4), and DS(1).  "Kids do as well as they can."

#64 of 417 Old 01-28-2009, 07:31 PM

OMG-Dan looked GREAT!! I'm glad that before he was sent home that 'thing' clicked and he did so well at home.

I think we'll be surprised at some of the at home folks having some good numbers. I think Dave just didn't care-he was only doing it for Dan. Even in his own words he felt 'trapped' because he couldn't do/eat what he wanted. You could see in the clips of him at home that his family was encouraging him to do well, he just didn't want to.

I was happy to see Joelle do better and kick it into gear. She was the male Dan, but on campus.

Did anyone else cry when Kristen was saying how she couldn't jump onto the platform and did?! I was so happy for her. And when Blane was able to go home to see his baby being born...and doing so great even being home for 3 days.

I can't wait to see how the partners did at home. You know people are going to be taking notice and the bigger folks will get knocked off fairly quickly I think since people seem to be playing the game now.
#65 of 417 Old 01-28-2009, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by umsami View Post
I really think that those who got sent home in the first month got totally screwed. :
ITA. I am barely watching this season because the show FORCED this season to be about "the game"

I mean, that is so wrong to get them all set up to stay at the ranch, and talk about how bad of shape they all are in, near death, some of them. Then they just send them home, knowing that they are not ready to lose weight on their own. It's disgusting for the show to take advantage of these people in an effort to "do something new" on the show. HOW RUDE!

But Daniel is going so well on his own. 101 pounds is nothing to overlook, for sure. GO DAN!!!:
#66 of 417 Old 01-28-2009, 07:57 PM

It's not the first time the show has sent people home right away though. In fact when they've done it before they haven't been given a week at the ranch first, they're sent home after teams are picked. They've had to work out at home & then earn their chance to come back.

It wouldn't have mattered if Dan had been at the ranch, he would have been another Joelle, possibly worse. He does not want to lose his weight, he isn't at that point in his life. What he has lost he'll regain plus alot.
#67 of 417 Old 02-04-2009, 12:08 AM

Wow. Wow. WOW at that ending. From the weigh in on. WOW.
#68 of 417 Old 02-04-2009, 12:14 AM

I knew someone would be here right away! The follow-up had to be a first in BL history. I'm not surprised, but still sad.
#69 of 417 Old 02-04-2009, 12:17 AM

I think Joelle might seriously need some psycholigical help, seriously, I think something is not right with her. so sad

Gigi. Mommy to 3 girls.
#70 of 417 Old 02-04-2009, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CathToria View Post
I think Joelle might seriously need some psycholigical help, seriously, I think something is not right with her. so sad
I agree, she just seemed like she lacked any emotions. Carla was crying her heart out and Joelle just stood there. I couldn't believe the ending though. They both looked wonderful, but I think for both of their mental well being it was best for them to part ways. Too much of a toxic relationship.
#71 of 417 Old 02-04-2009, 01:00 AM

I felt so bad for Carla. I also felt bad for Joelle... because I'm sure she wasn't portrayed completely true to life (this is after all TV).

I'm glad to see that both had experienced some success since leaving the Biggest Loser ranch. I hope they beat the odds and continue to be successful, but looking at past contestants... plus with their starting weights.... I'm not hopeful. I really think the Biggest Loser producers owe these contestants a bit more support, be it through trainers, meal delivery services, psychologists, or even bariatric surgery.... especially after the show is over.

#72 of 417 Old 02-04-2009, 02:58 AM

WHAT? How on earth did Joelle not see why Carla was upset? What is Joelle's problem? She seems so heartless, so selfish, so naive. I don't feel bad for Joelle at all. She cussed at Carla and walked off. Rude.
#73 of 417 Old 02-04-2009, 11:27 AM

Is Joelle depressed? That was my thought. She just has too much sadness.
#74 of 417 Old 02-04-2009, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysonshine View Post
That's exactly what I thought. She is so devoid of emotion.
#75 of 417 Old 02-04-2009, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysonshine View Post
That was exactly what I thought. She just didn't seem to care.

Never jump into a pile of leaves with a wet sucker. - Linus
#76 of 417 Old 02-04-2009, 12:21 PM

I'm just wondering why she (Joelle) went on the show in the first place. She didn't feel comfortable from day one, didn't liked being yelled at (hello? have you ever seen the show? what if she got Jillian?) and didn't like to work out or realize that she would be working out. Like Carla, everyone else on the show and probably all of the viewers, I just want to know "why?" What was going through her head? I think it has to be some sort of depression or something. She kept going for the money, so I'm sure her economic status played a role in her decision to go on the show, but she didnt' do her research. Maybe Carla dragged her on - but she did get over-the-top excited when they were picked. I don't know. I just feel so bacly for both of them.
#77 of 417 Old 02-04-2009, 01:06 PM
Banned

there is definitely some disconnect with joelle. i don't know what it is, but she spaces out and really has some weird talking in circles. she really didn't want to deal with what happened either--it was no surprise to me that she and carla hadn't spoken since they left the ranch and probably aren't friends now. it's sad really.

but, it is also good that both ladies are doing so well with their weight loss. personally, i can't wait to see that big kid, Dan, back at the finale! i want to see how healthy and strong he is.
#78 of 417 Old 02-04-2009, 01:13 PM
Banned

oh, and i agree that a good consulation prize would be a personal trainer for life.

the truth is, personal training is a very valuable thing for a lot of people. it not only teaches the skills, but it keeps the person's motivation and accountability going.

i've noticed that those who have continued with personal trainers in their home towns after the show or from the time they leave the show to the finale usually do the best at least by the finale.

but, if nothing else, the show does demonstrate that diet and exercise *does* work, but that there is also psychological and other "life stress" elements at play. though i think Sione said it best "if i have three hours a day for TV, i have time to work out!" LOL gotta love him.
#79 of 417 Old 02-04-2009, 01:14 PM
Banned

oh, and i also wish that health insurance would pay for personal training. because it can be expensive. it would be nice if insurance covered real preventative medicine, you know?
#80 of 417 Old 02-04-2009, 02:40 PM

There's an article on the show in today's NYTimes
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/04/di...ewanted=1&_r=1

I had no idea that the contestants resorted to fasting and asparagus binges before weigh-ins. I would think the results would be temporary, and would totally backfire by the next week. I'm so naive.

#81 of 417 Old 02-04-2009, 04:45 PM

Wow, I didn't know that either. And I'm so sad to hear that Erik has gained back 100 pounds. We really need to change something about this country. It shouldn't be so easy to gain so much weight. We have really lost our way.

What made me so mad about last night's episode was how upset Bob and Jillian were getting over the dissapointment from the contestants that got weighed in at the beginning of the show. Does Jillian really think that by watching someone lose "x" numbers of pounds in one week on the show will make them think, "well I can do that in 6 weeks?" NO!!! It gives most people at home a false sense of reality.
#82 of 417 Old 02-04-2009, 05:23 PM
Banned

I had no idea that the contestants resorted to fasting and asparagus binges before weigh-ins.

i figured that it was no different than body building comps. you want to talk about madness! the thing that they do for those comps is mad-crazy! but, they also gain a lot of fat off comp season to help support muscle growth, and even if they are not 'bulking,' they still put on weight after comp to get to a normal body fat %.

i think bob also stated that the first winnner gained all of the weight back because h knew how to play to win, but didn't make the 'connection' when it came to living fit. i think many of the contestants do gain some, but mostly because like body builders who compete, once the competition is over, they live more normally (less crazy fasting, more normal exercise, etc).

i also read somewhere that jillian only works out 5-7 hrs per week, which is doable.
#83 of 417 Old 02-05-2009, 10:33 AM

anyone else SO happy that Joelle is gone? I feel that I don't even know any of the other contestants! I'm looking forward to learning about them!

wife since 1992; mom to: J 7-95; H 5-98; C 2-03; S 4-05; Micah Zachary born still UC 4-08; UM 9-08; due June 2010
#84 of 417 Old 02-05-2009, 02:25 PM

I'm not surprised that Joelle & Carla left(or that they're not talking), felt bad for Carla. It seems she's doing good at having lost 85lbs already, though 40 of those were before she came back to the ranch.

I'll admit I was shocked Joelle lost anything after she left, I thought she'd stop trying but maybe she's trying to proof herself to the others again. When she tried that the 1 week she lost good. It was just the only week she did it.

I do believe she is depressed, she seemed to feel ashamed at being in a gym.

Joelle went onto the show because of Carla, she admitted that on the show. Actually it seemed more like the BLAMED Carla for being there.

Quote:
I really think the Biggest Loser producers owe these contestants a bit more support, be it through trainers, meal delivery services, psychologists, or even bariatric surgery
I disagree. The contestants know what they're in for when they sign the contract & they are NOT guaranteed to lose weight or keep it off. Yes these people are there to lose weight, but even the trainers admit they're doing it in unrealistic ways. the contestants are also there for the $, some contestants that's the real reason they are there is the money not necessarily to lose weight. There are no guarantees when joining this reality show that they'll lose anything or be there long. They're not owed anything, especially expensive surgery, when they leave.

Look at Ron, he's HAD weight loss surgery & it didn't help him.

If they wanted support, trainers, meal delivery services, etc they could do that at home without coming to the show. Yes they cost money, but leaving jobs for 3-4 months(and how many of them have thier job when they get home???) isn't earning them an income either.

the past contestants that seem to have kept the weight off are the ones who go into personal training/motivation when they leave.
#85 of 417 Old 02-05-2009, 02:41 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
I really think the Biggest Loser producers owe these contestants a bit more support, be it through trainers, meal delivery services, psychologists, or even bariatric surgery.... especially after the show is over.
I disagree...in the end, its about the person and their relationship with food/exercise. Why does the show "owe" them?

I've seen several interviews with Bob and Jillian and they have said the contestants have their phone numbers, email addys, etc...and that they talk to them regularly, give them as much support as possible. And i bet the show DOES pay for personal trainers during the period of time where contestants leave the show and the finale (because obviously, its good for the show to have everyone look their best and be skinny)...

Some of the contestants were being rather silly though...there is no way you only lose two pounds in a month if you are dieting and exercise, if you are that heavy. I could lose 10-15 pounds in a month just by cutting calories and adding in some low key exercise 3 or 4 times a week.

Bariatric surgery is not an answer....plenty of people have that surgery and then gain all their weight back...look at Carny Wilson, she gained half the weight back that she lost (then lost much of it again through diet/exercise and a change in how she views her relationship to those two things)....its not a magic bullet.

Katherine

Katherine, single homeschooling mom to Boy Genius (17) geek.gif  Thing One (6) and Thing Two (6) fencing.gif and one outgoing Girl (12) bikenew.gif and hoping for more through foster care and adoption homebirth.jpgadoptionheart-1.gif 
#86 of 417 Old 02-05-2009, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenjane View Post
Some of the contestants were being rather silly though...there is no way you only lose two pounds in a month if you are dieting and exercise, if you are that heavy. I could lose 10-15 pounds in a month just by cutting calories and adding in some low key exercise 3 or 4 times a week.
From personal experience, this is not true for many people. I know that I can not drop that kind of weight, even with intense exercise 6 times a week.

Gigi. Mommy to 3 girls.
#87 of 417 Old 02-05-2009, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Bariatric surgery is not an answer....plenty of people have that surgery and then gain all their weight back...look at Carny Wilson, she gained half the weight back that she lost (then lost much of it again through diet/exercise and a change in how she views her relationship to those two things)....its not a magic bullet.
Carnie Wilson still maintained 50% of the weight she lost... there's no diet/exercise program that can show those results. Period. People call her a failure, but in reality, she was a success. Life for Carnie was a lot easier, and she was a lot healthier, at 200 pounds than at 300. Even if she still looks fat to the average person.

Nothing published that even comes close to bariatric surgery in terms of success rates. It's not plenty of people who regain the weight. It's actually very few, especially if one compares it to convention diet, exercise, behavior programs, and meds... and it depends on the operation... the Duodenal Switch has much higher success rates than the Roux-en-Y. Success shown at 20 years out. The RNY does better than the Lap-Band long-term, etc.

That's what I don't think the average person gets. Bariatric surgery is the best thing out there in terms of long-term results for the Morbidly Obese person (which most of the Biggest Loser contestants are). It's the only thing that has shown a majority to lose at least 50% of their excess weight and keep it off for 5 years. The only thing. With prescription meds, patients lose 10%, if that, over 6 months...and weight comes back when they go off the meds.

Is it fool proof?

No.

But that, coupled with exercise and diet, offers people a real chance. It's not a cure all, but it levels the playing field for a lot of people.

Quote:
the past contestants that seem to have kept the weight off are the ones who go into personal training/motivation when they leave.
Even those contestants have regained. Marty and his wife (can't remember her name), Matt and Suzy... they've all regained. Even with being personal trainers and doing motivational speaking. But a lot of it has to do with the body's own mechanisms that do everything it can to regain the weight. Ghrelin levels, etc.

#88 of 417 Old 02-05-2009, 03:39 PM

Joelle needed to go but I felt so bad for Carla because she really wanted to be there and she worked so hard.

I think this show proves that we don't really know much about LONG term weight loss (except it's rare) and what causes some people to be thin and some to be fat. It appears to be more complicated than calories in/calories out like so many people insist on saying and disclaiming those who that ratio does not work for.

It is impratical to work out 8hrs a day (strenous exercise) and eat low calorie, really I don't know how anyone could keep that up. And for some people that is the only way they could be an 'acceptable' weight.

Losing and keeping off 50% is a success. People just don't think so if you're not thin. For a lot of people it's about what size jeans you wear or the number on the scale not if you are actually healthy (of course many people don't think you can be fat and also healthy).

OUR DAUGHTERS ARE PROTECTED SHOULDN'T OUR SONS BE TOO! :
#89 of 417 Old 02-05-2009, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Even those contestants have regained. Marty and his wife (can't remember her name), Matt and Suzy... they've all regained. Even with being personal trainers and doing motivational speaking. But a lot of it has to do with the body's own mechanisms that do everything it can to regain the weight.
yes BUT not to the extent that Erik did. Erik gained everything back. Matt gained quite a bit back, but not as much as he weighed. Marty & Amy didn't gain back much. Suzy gained some back before she got pregnant & has had 2 kids since the show. Even with the pregnancies she hasn't gained that much back. She is exercising & using WW to lose what she has gained.
#90 of 417 Old 02-06-2009, 05:30 PM

Quote:
That's not necessarily true. I weigh about 230 and have tried really hard to lose weight this past year. I excercise at least 5 times a week in addition to all the other running around that do cleaning and chasing a toddler. I've tried eating low calorie, low carb. I tried weight watchers. I followed their plan and still no weightloss. I weigh exactly the same as I did one year ago. I stopped eating sugar almost a month ago and I still haven't budged a pound. I don't go up or down. I'm working with my doctor now to figure it out.

Wendy - mom to dd1(11), dd2(7), dd3(3)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page