Biggest Loser Season 7!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 417 Old 12-31-2008, 06:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone else planning on watching this? I've pretty much set my night for it...and it's not until Tuesday! I'm super excited! Even the preview online made me tear up...

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 417 Old 01-01-2009, 02:38 PM
EVC

I'll be watching. I love the Biggest Loser!

PhDin' mama to dd (Oct. 2005)
#3 of 417 Old 01-04-2009, 01:44 AM

Me too! Did you guys see that Marty & Amy from a few seasons back who got engaged on one of the finales are having their 1st?! : Congrats! But in an interview she said she's really scared about the weight gain now.
#4 of 417 Old 01-05-2009, 03:02 PM

I love Biggest Loser too! I will be watching tomorrow! I am also glad we didn't have to wait as long for the next season as we had to in the past.

DS is 4!
DD 8/10/10!
#5 of 417 Old 01-06-2009, 11:09 PM

I'm watching right now....I Like this group. BUT. The product placements are out. of. control. I mean jeez, they have no shame this season.
#6 of 417 Old 01-07-2009, 12:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimiij View Post
I'm watching right now....I Like this group. BUT. The product placements are out. of. control. I mean jeez, they have no shame this season.
Tell me about it. I understand they need funding or whatever...but goodness!

I'm not sure I like this new twist...probably because it just upsets everything I'm used to.
I'm pulling for the orange team, though. I really like them

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
#7 of 417 Old 01-07-2009, 12:05 AM

Yeah...kind of sad about the twist. I'm realizing now that they must weigh them before the formal weigh-in ceremony so that they can place them in the proper (read: dramatic) order. They organize it so that you get a big shocker every 2-3 teams.
#8 of 417 Old 01-07-2009, 01:27 AM

I'm watching. I've been on the fence about this show for a few years but I've gotten sucked in lately. I don't know who I'm rooting for yet. Tonight was interesting with them seeing the results of their tests. So scary for them! I wish DH had been here to see it! I don't know if I like the twist. That would be pretty upsetting!

Stacey reading.gif Happy wife to Rick coolshine.gif ,homeschooling Mama to Jacob, Noel, Joanna jumpers.gif  and a sweet stork-girl.gif due in the Spring!
#9 of 417 Old 01-07-2009, 02:33 AM

I read that the do the actual weigh in on a different scale, and the one we see is just a prop. However, the contestants don't see the results until they get weighed in as we see them.
#10 of 417 Old 01-07-2009, 12:16 PM

I watched. I am blown away by how much weight some lost in just one week. I wonder if that's wise. I'm not rooting for anyone yet. I really hope there are no Vickys this time.

OUR DAUGHTERS ARE PROTECTED SHOULDN'T OUR SONS BE TOO! :
#11 of 417 Old 01-07-2009, 01:15 PM

oh. my. goodness. Weren't you guys brought to tears when Jerry lost 24 pounds? What about Daniel losing 30? oh my. so thrilling. hate the twist. stupid. but I guess okay since they may get to come back. but how mean to take all these people to the ranch just to tell 9 of them to leave? I think this season is going to be so much better than the last one. I didn't like the last one at all. I liked 5 with men-bonding

wife since 1992; mom to: J 7-95; H 5-98; C 2-03; S 4-05; Micah Zachary born still UC 4-08; UM 9-08; due June 2010
#12 of 417 Old 01-07-2009, 01:19 PM

nothing about losing they way they do is wise.lol the first weigh in is so dramatic because most of it is water. Also for alot of them they're not only active again, but are doing HARD workouts for 4hours a day which will burn alot of calories even if they had been active before. More though is they are dramatically cut down in the number of calories they're eating.

I don't mind this twist. They've done similar things though not after 2 weigh in's. at least they get a chance to come back and it is NOT based on how much weight they lose or didn't lose. There are only 4, maybe 5 depending how the 30 days fall, people who will not be coming back. It is motivation for those at the ranch to work even harder.
#13 of 417 Old 01-07-2009, 03:43 PM

Wow. Just wow. I was in tears at the very beginning, and thought it was funny how they showed Bob and Jillian at the beginning talking about how now is the time to change...but don't watch the show eating ice cream! That totally guilted me...I drank lemon water!

I think the twist is interesting as the teams who had to send someone home really had to assess their strengths, etc. I'm still shocked at the amount of weight lost in the beginning...but like pp said, it's water weight and the initial shock of people working out so much more than they are used to and eating much healthier. It will be interesting to see how everyone does both at home and on the ranch. I wonder if they'll integrate the at home folks during the show at all.

I nearly wanted to vomit at the ever so set up, "where is your water bottle" infomercial for the Brita stuff. Isn't that why they show commercials?! Sheesh. Or just say "Did you bring your Brita water bottle" instead of these horribly set up scenes.
#14 of 417 Old 01-07-2009, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Yeah...kind of sad about the twist. I'm realizing now that they must weigh them before the formal weigh-in ceremony so that they can place them in the proper (read: dramatic) order. They organize it so that you get a big shocker every 2-3 teams.
I thought about this last night as well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by splotchy1 View Post
I read that the do the actual weigh in on a different scale, and the one we see is just a prop. However, the contestants don't see the results until they get weighed in as we see them.
That makes sense. A couple of people were rocking side to side while the numbers were changing and I thought, "You can't get accurate weight if you're moving around." My DH has also pointed out that the numbers go up and down randomly...real scales don't do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEZMama View Post
Wow. Just wow. I was in tears at the very beginning, and thought it was funny how they showed Bob and Jillian at the beginning talking about how now is the time to change...but don't watch the show eating ice cream! That totally guilted me...I drank lemon water!

I think the twist is interesting as the teams who had to send someone home really had to assess their strengths, etc. I'm still shocked at the amount of weight lost in the beginning...but like pp said, it's water weight and the initial shock of people working out so much more than they are used to and eating much healthier. It will be interesting to see how everyone does both at home and on the ranch. I wonder if they'll integrate the at home folks during the show at all.

I nearly wanted to vomit at the ever so set up, "where is your water bottle" infomercial for the Brita stuff. Isn't that why they show commercials?! Sheesh. Or just say "Did you bring your Brita water bottle" instead of these horribly set up scenes.
It ALMOST guilted me...but then, I'm pregnant and I use that as my excuse to eat "bad" things.

I was surprised they sent the heavier woman home on the silver team...she has more weight to lose. Wouldn't you think she'd have a better chance of staying?

Yeah, I don't think I'd mind the informercials so much if they weren't so bloody cheesy! I can't help but wonder if Jill and Bob roll their eyes each time they have to do one...

#15 of 417 Old 01-07-2009, 04:32 PM

subbing. I kind of liked the way they sent 9 home.... imean I'd have perferred it if tehy all stayed... but I'd rather them start with 22 and send 9 home..some just temp.. then to start with 16 instead of 22. Even teh ones who do not come back will hopefully have enough info to have a positive impact on their lives.

I am suprised at HOW big all of these players are. The brown tem dad, who had teh GI surgery, intruigues me

Gigi. Mommy to 3 girls.
#16 of 417 Old 01-07-2009, 07:25 PM

Quote:
thought it was funny how they showed Bob and Jillian at the beginning talking about how now is the time to change...but don't watch the show eating ice cream!
I had just finished eating chips when he said that and was working on hot iced tea(which is nothing more than flavoured sugar water). Then I got on my wii & did it while watching the show.

Quote:
those don't bother me, they're so scripted & forced that they're funny.

however I did want to vomit watching that 1 girl vomit on the treadmill. I really didn't need to see that.
#17 of 417 Old 01-07-2009, 08:52 PM

Quote:
I was in tears at the very beginning, and thought it was funny how they showed Bob and Jillian at the beginning talking about how now is the time to change...but don't watch the show eating ice cream!
My husband I WERE eating ice cream right as they said it. We thought it was hysterical. I yelled back that I workout today SO THERE!!!

I like the concept of sending people home and working as a team, but separately. It was interesting seeing how each team decided who was going home and who was staying. I think the silver team chose as they did because the woman who is staying would probably not achieve much if she were home, but the other woman is determined. We'll see how that goes.
#18 of 417 Old 01-08-2009, 12:34 AM

Theoretically, all 9 could be back...if the next 4 people voted off are the two from the brown team and the two from the black team, who stayed on as couples.

ETA: The excessive product placement is, in my opinion, a response to the prevalence of DVR players (and people like me, who don't even have a TV--I downloaded this show on iTunes). So many people don't watch live TV anymore...which means they don't watch commercials...which means sponsors get persnickety.
#19 of 417 Old 01-08-2009, 11:58 AM

I am definitely rooting for the orange team!

LavenderMae-I agree about Vicky. She was a real meanie!!

DS is 4!
DD 8/10/10!
#20 of 417 Old 01-08-2009, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieMF View Post
those don't bother me, they're so scripted & forced that they're funny.
Yeah, that's what dp and I think!

Quote:
Originally Posted by splotchy1 View Post
Quote:
I've been thinking this lately too, makes sense, gotta keep things dramatic!

I'm not thrilled about the twist but hopefully the show will still be good.

DS 7 ~ DS 3

#21 of 417 Old 01-08-2009, 03:15 PM

By the way, the "twist" is just a marketing gimmick.

The Biggest Loser is releasing a "30 Day Jump-Start Program" book on the same day that the 30 days are up for the contestants who were sent home. So I'm sure they've armed them with the book (and perhaps a free membership to 24-hour fitness, a BodyBugg, a case of Extra Sugarfree Gum, and several packages of some dee-lish Jennie-O turkey sausage ) and will then showcase the amazing results that they got because of it.

Give them credit for taking product placement to a whole new level.
#22 of 417 Old 01-08-2009, 03:33 PM

technically since the first season every other season has been a marketing gimick.

Quote:
I'm sure they've armed them with the book (and perhaps a free membership to 24-hour fitness, a BodyBugg, a case of Extra Sugarfree Gum, and several packages of some dee-lish Jennie-O turkey sausage
It wouldn't surprise me with the 24hour fitness & bodybugg. In other seasons when they've been sent home & they show clips of them exercising they're often at 24hour fitness & they are wearing the bodybugg(which is part of 24hour fitness).

remember way back when in the first couple of seasons when they sent home the last people to finish it off at home that they'd come home to an entire gym set up in their house.
#23 of 417 Old 01-08-2009, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieMF View Post
It wouldn't surprise me with the 24hour fitness & bodybugg. In other seasons when they've been sent home & they show clips of them exercising they're often at 24hour fitness & they are wearing the bodybugg(which is part of 24hour fitness).
It's quite obvious that just being ON the show gets you a membership to 24 hour fitness and you can keep your bodybugg (which, by the way are really really expensive...I wanted one) The "at home" shots always involve them working out with a trainer

#24 of 417 Old 01-08-2009, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCVeg View Post
By the way, the "twist" is just a marketing gimmick.

The Biggest Loser is releasing a "30 Day Jump-Start Program" book on the same day that the 30 days are up for the contestants who were sent home. So I'm sure they've armed them with the book (and perhaps a free membership to 24-hour fitness, a BodyBugg, a case of Extra Sugarfree Gum, and several packages of some dee-lish Jennie-O turkey sausage ) and will then showcase the amazing results that they got because of it.

Give them credit for taking product placement to a whole new level.
Don't forget the sugar-free Jello with Cool Whip!
#25 of 417 Old 01-08-2009, 11:58 PM

...........and Subway... all stuffed into a ziplock bag that you in the microwave to leach chemicals into your veggies.

Gigi. Mommy to 3 girls.
#26 of 417 Old 01-09-2009, 12:56 AM

See, product placement works! (Now excuse me while I go go pour a frosty glass of water from my Brita pitcher...)
#27 of 417 Old 01-09-2009, 01:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CathToria View Post
...........and Subway... all stuffed into a ziplock bag that you in the microwave to leach chemicals into your veggies.
And the Brita filter!

#28 of 417 Old 01-09-2009, 03:35 PM

But wait dear trainers NYVeg and AFWife...I see this whole display of delicious Jennie O turkey and I just don't know what I would make with it...let me chew my Extra Sugar Free gum while you give me ideas....
#29 of 417 Old 01-09-2009, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
But wait dear trainers NYVeg and AFWife...I see this whole display of delicious Jennie O turkey and I just don't know what I would make with it...let me chew my Extra Sugar Free gum while you give me ideas....
As luck would have it Rocco is visiting today! Now he's going to show you how to make all these great, low fat, foods in your OWN kitchen. (Providing you can afford to buy all of the ingredients and you have the proper cookware)

#30 of 417 Old 01-13-2009, 05:28 PM

I love BL... I always watch it. I find it very inspirational.

As for the scene set ups. Yes, they are dumb. Yes, I know they are fake...
but believe it or not there are lots of people out there that have never considered using something besides their insanely huge amount of water bottles and tossing them (not recycling either!) So if it enlightens a few people about switching from a ton of water bottles in the landfill, I don't mind them so much.

I can't wait for tomorrow's show. I was shocked they sent home so many but four will return in four weeks.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page