20/20 tonight! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 61 Old 01-03-2009, 12:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone watching 20/20 on ABC? Its about Extreme Motherhood. Talks about breastfeeding, at home delivery and more. Thought some of you might be interested

Elizabeth - Single mom to my 3 year old daugher and a full time graduate student . I support
#2 of 61 Old 01-03-2009, 12:06 AM

Oh, thanks for the heads up, watching it now!

Jessie. Mama to bikenew.gif(7) : broc1.gif(4) and : toddler.gif22 mo 

#3 of 61 Old 01-03-2009, 12:25 AM

Also watching - very interesting.
#4 of 61 Old 01-03-2009, 12:39 AM - Thread Starter

This has been so interesting so far. I really like how they talked about Natural Childbirth not always being painful. I think it is good that they talked about it being possible to enjoy the natural birth. I also thought it was interesting about extended breastfeeding. I haven't heard of too many people breastfeeding past 3 to 4. But I think it is wonderful that so many parents go past this if their children want to. What do ya'll think about how they portrayed both natural childbirth and extended breastfeeding?

Elizabeth - Single mom to my 3 year old daugher and a full time graduate student . I support
#5 of 61 Old 01-03-2009, 12:41 AM

Good except for that one (male) doctor who said its a mother's job to "work herself out of a job" meaning weaning early : because babies shouldn't be able to run to their mommies for comfort past a certain age.

Amy, mommy to Ava, 6, Gavin, 4, Lila, 2, and Baby #4 due in early November! joy.gif
#6 of 61 Old 01-03-2009, 12:43 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Ha ha, do they really call it at home delivery? I know some OBs have "home delivery is for pizza" bumperstickers.
#7 of 61 Old 01-03-2009, 12:47 AM

It'll be on at ten my time, but I plan to watch it.

Bethany, crunchy Christian mom to Destiny (11) Deanna (9), and Ethan (2)

#8 of 61 Old 01-03-2009, 12:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viola View Post
Ha ha, do they really call it at home delivery? I know some OBs have "home delivery is for pizza" bumperstickers.
I am pretty sure that is what I heard during the preview earlier.. but I could be wrong.. I just got excited that it was coming on.. lol

They just called it Childbirth at home.. so I am probably wrong in what I heard.

#9 of 61 Old 01-03-2009, 12:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amila View Post
Good except for that one (male) doctor who said its a mother's job to "work herself out of a job" meaning weaning early : because babies shouldn't be able to run to their mommies for comfort past a certain age.
I heard that too.. that is just crazy! Why in the world would a mother aim to get to the point where they don't need to do that much. How depressing!

#10 of 61 Old 01-03-2009, 12:49 AM

Watching here ... it's making me want a baby again, lol.
#11 of 61 Old 01-03-2009, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelpie545 View Post
It'll be on at ten my time, but I plan to watch it.
:

malesling.GIFMutant Papa to DD (12)hippie.gif and DS (2)babyf.gif, married to DHribbonrainbow.gif
If it looks like I'm trying to pick a fight... I'm not, I'm rarely that obvious.hammer.gif
#12 of 61 Old 01-03-2009, 01:04 AM

I personally thought that it portrayed extended breastfeeding as a negative thing, but that they did really well with the birthing at home segment. I missed the first segment - not sure what it was about. It definitely could have been worse, for a mainstream news/current events program, but it could have been better as well.

Take care,
El
#13 of 61 Old 01-03-2009, 01:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemnop View Post
I personally thought that it portrayed extended breastfeeding as a negative thing, but that they did really well with the birthing at home segment. I missed the first segment - not sure what it was about. It definitely could have been worse, for a mainstream news/current events program, but it could have been better as well.

Take care,
El

I totally agree. I did think that it was a step in the right direction though. For the most part these shows tend to be all negative. Personally, I thought it showed some positives as well. Especially the first segment on orgasms and natural childbirth. Not just about the orgasms, but that a woman can enjoy natural childbirth and that once a woman loses all fear associated with birth, it can make it a better experience. I do agree about the nursing segment, it did take more of a negative tone. But I thought the mothers that were featured were inspiring.

#14 of 61 Old 01-03-2009, 01:15 AM

Man, I really wish I would have caught that first segment!
#15 of 61 Old 01-03-2009, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemnop View Post
Man, I really wish I would have caught that first segment!
Was that the babydoll part? "Rebirths" are what they were called. That was not extreme mothering really, it is a quirky hobby if anything. Having a cute babydoll is nothing compared to having a real one (hence "mothering" it).

Momma to DD (12/04) hearts.gif and DS (11/09) hbac.gif.
I survived 16 mos! Ask me about breastfeeding a baby with posterior tongue tie, high palate, and weak oral motor skills- whew!

#16 of 61 Old 01-03-2009, 01:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShwarmaQueen View Post
Was that the babydoll part? "Rebirths" are what they were called. That was not extreme mothering really, it is a quirky hobby if anything. Having a cute babydoll is nothing compared to having a real one (hence "mothering" it).
No the reborn dolls were the 2nd segment.. The first was about women having orgasms during natural childbirth.

#17 of 61 Old 01-03-2009, 01:20 AM

The first segment was orgasmic childbirth.

babyf.gif

#18 of 61 Old 01-03-2009, 01:22 AM

Quote:
I didn't actually see anything before Extended Breastfeeding. Sounds like I would have been interested in both segments before it (although I was specifically talking about the Orgasmic Birth segment). While I wouldn't call my birth orgasmic, I certainly would not describe it as the worst pain I have had, and I'd say it was sort of pleasant.

Take care,
El
#19 of 61 Old 01-03-2009, 01:29 AM

I too missed everything before the extended breadtfeeding segment, darn!

Mama to Zoe (8/00), Morgan : (10/01), Brooke9/06), Casey 20wks (2/08), and Riley : (2/09): She's really here!!
#20 of 61 Old 01-03-2009, 01:37 AM

I posted this in the 20/20 segment in CLW as well:

I just got finished watching the 20/20 featuring Extreme Nursing. I thought it was fairly well done, although there were points where I felt like the interviewer (Debra Roberts????) was fighting back a grimace. I found it a little amusing that the first woman they had on the "extreme nursing" show was a woman nursing 2 1/2 year old twins. Maybe I've been hanging around MDC too long but a 2 1/2 nursing is almost a given to me and in no way seems unusual or "extreme". I am sometimes surprised when I see weaned 2 year olds because that is so not MY normal, kwim?

I really liked the family with the three kids, they just seemed very normal. I was VERY surprised to see that the 12 year old boy was willing to talk about when he used to nurse and was free and open about how much he liked it. He seemed like such a sweet kid. I hope he doesn't get his butt handed to him by his peers........

I also liked the 9 year old sister who said that seeing her six year old brother nursing made her happy to see him doing it. Very sweet.
#21 of 61 Old 01-03-2009, 01:51 AM - Thread Starter

The 2 and a half year olds twins being mentioned surprised me too.. That doesn't even seem extreme to me. Made me laugh for a minute because I think its normal. I was also shocked about how the 12 year old was willing to talk about breastfeeding. My first reaction was that he was going to get teased for being so honest. Which is sad

Debra Roberts didn't seem interested at all. You could tell she thought it was all pretty extreme.

#22 of 61 Old 01-03-2009, 02:42 AM

The psychologist was a quack. Like a child isn't going to learn how to self-soothe if he's EBF? The first thing that came to my mind was that he probably didn't ever see a BF mom/child (past the first few weeks) and that I bet he believes in CIO.

Momma to DD (12/04) hearts.gif and DS (11/09) hbac.gif.
I survived 16 mos! Ask me about breastfeeding a baby with posterior tongue tie, high palate, and weak oral motor skills- whew!

#23 of 61 Old 01-03-2009, 02:56 AM

Quote:
The psychologist was a quack. Like a child isn't going to learn how to self-soothe if he's EBF? The first thing that came to my mind was that he probably didn't ever see a BF mom/child (past the first few weeks) and that I bet he believes in CIO.
Yeah, that's what I thought too. That guy made me cringe. And 2.5 is EBF? Ha. Not in our house. Everybody weaned before kindergarten, but it was their choice.

I think what annoyed me about the whole show was the whole time I was thinking, "This is news...?" Yes, I live in a big crunchy bubble. But kudos to the people who were willing to put themselves and their families out there to talk about things that a lot of people regard as different.
#24 of 61 Old 01-03-2009, 03:11 AM

When the introduction said I'd be shocked by some of the stuff there I thought "Like to see you try! I hang out on MDC!"

malesling.GIFMutant Papa to DD (12)hippie.gif and DS (2)babyf.gif, married to DHribbonrainbow.gif
If it looks like I'm trying to pick a fight... I'm not, I'm rarely that obvious.hammer.gif
#25 of 61 Old 01-03-2009, 03:26 AM

The reborns creeped me out. Not so much the dolls themselves but, the one short haired blonde lady they showed.

I am still watching it so I may be back later.

:~*Barbara*~ 25, DGF to an awesome man (25) and always a step-mom to A (8)
#26 of 61 Old 01-03-2009, 03:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaLuna Rayne View Post
The reborns creeped me out. Not so much the dolls themselves but, the one short haired blonde lady they showed.

I am still watching it so I may be back later.
What creeped me out about the reborns is the people using them as a real baby. That sort of goes to far for me.

#27 of 61 Old 01-03-2009, 03:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicianDad View Post
What creeped me out about the reborns is the people using them as a real baby. That sort of goes to far for me.
Definitely. Oh and paying $1400 for a doll?!

The psychologist is making me mad re: extended BF-ing.

:~*Barbara*~ 25, DGF to an awesome man (25) and always a step-mom to A (8)
#28 of 61 Old 01-03-2009, 03:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeganMamaRed View Post
I was VERY surprised to see that the 12 year old boy was willing to talk about when he used to nurse and was free and open about how much he liked it. He seemed like such a sweet kid. I hope he doesn't get his butt handed to him by his peers........
I'm still nursing my youngest, so my kids talk about it occasionally. My eleven-year-old is practically *smug* because he got to nurse until he was 3.5 years old. He and my middle two consider himself luckier than they, because they only got to go to two years.
#29 of 61 Old 01-03-2009, 03:41 AM

I just finished watching the EBF segment. I didn't think it was done too poorly. I expected much worse to be honest. I did feel my face scrunch up in confusion when the lady with the twins was mentioned. Having tadem nursed my 2 youngest into preschoolhood it just felt like, "really, people would be shocked by that?" I thought the 12 year old boy was sweet.

The Reborns, in my opinion, are creepy. There is just something unwell about a woman who treats a baby doll as if it's real for attention.

I look forward to the homebirth portion of the show.
#30 of 61 Old 01-03-2009, 03:41 AM

I think that it was made for an intended mainstream audience to "shock" rather than inform and so it was overall biased against most of what it portrayed. Yet I did think there were spots that may have opened peoples minds a bit (like the unattended birth segment) by showing a bit more of both sides of the story.

If nothing else - it was nice to watch with DH and got us talking. We did check out those "reborn" dolls online. A wonderful artistic acheivement to be sure - but to use as a "real" baby was very creepy to me. But again, I don't want to judge others for things I don't understand if I expect them to respect my choices that aren't mainstream either.

Mom to DS(17) autismribbon.gif DS(15) autismribbon.gif DS(12) autismribbon.gif My gifted, quirky, wonderful teens!

Mama to Jack bouncy.gif11.08 and Liam  biggrinbounce.gif 9.11 and due with boy #6! stork-boy.gif  

Blissfully married to the love of my life since 8.8.8 partners.gif 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page