"Private Practice" right now... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 55 Old 01-09-2009, 12:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Episode involves autism, no-vax, and a child with measles.

Of course, there is a huge drama over the other patients being exposed, and the one doctor called unvaccinated children walking time bombs.

He who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe is as good as dead; his eyes are closed.  ~Albert Einstein
#2 of 55 Old 01-09-2009, 01:21 AM

I just heard from the East coast how that whole episode goes. I used to watch that show. I won't anymore.
I don't want to copy & paste the recap in case some of the other West-coasters still wanna watch it to get a serious heart attack and throw their dinner at the tv!
#3 of 55 Old 01-09-2009, 01:23 AM

I think tonight's very special episode of Private Practice was brought to us by Merck.

Mommy to DS Adrian 8/10/04 and DD Geneva 9/02/09
#4 of 55 Old 01-09-2009, 01:36 AM

I see the previous post on this was moved but I wanted to comment here anyway....

What a load of BS! Scare tactics anyone? That worst case scenario and forced vax made me absolutely sick! I am so glad my DH wasn't watching it with me b/c our 20 month DD is not vaxed for MMR and I don't want her to be anytime soon (if ever) but DH disagrees. I am sure this would have scared him silly.

Stupid ill-informed pharmaceutical funded media!

Mom to Nora - 04/07 and Brendan - born still at 23 weeks - 07/10
#5 of 55 Old 01-09-2009, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadzia View Post
I think tonight's very special episode of Private Practice was brought to us by Merck.
Holy scaremongering Batman! That was some piece of work!
#6 of 55 Old 01-09-2009, 01:39 AM - Thread Starter

Please don't move this- it is not about the SHOW but about the show's subject, and hopefully a broader discussion of the show and the media and vax in general, but I was waiting to expand it until the west coast had seen it.

He who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe is as good as dead; his eyes are closed.  ~Albert Einstein
#7 of 55 Old 01-09-2009, 02:14 AM

I watched this also.. I was thinking the drug companies/CDC might have had something to do with it! I guess it does make me wonder though, do most people die from measles or is this uncommon? I know people used to get it all the time! Anyway some parts of this episode really did irritate me, like saying there is no link between vaccines and autism, and then the dr vaccinating the child without permission.. That was horrible. I am not sure if they were trying to show the point of view from the doctor and the parent, but it didnt seem very fairly portrayed to me...

Anyway, there is something I am wondering about.. Why is it that there werent so many cases of autism in the past when the MMR was given? Is it maybe not the MMR vaccine in particular, but the combination of all the vaccines together, since they have added so many, that could be contributing to the rise in autism? I dont think I will ever get the MMR for my daughter but would be curious to hear some opinions on this.. Thanks all.
#8 of 55 Old 01-09-2009, 02:29 AM

It was an awful episode. I knew from the minute that child was diagnosed him would die from the "Dreaded" measles. : Isn't it illegal to vax a child without consent?

Also if they had already been exposed would a vax even work?

I hated the whole episode, I don't think I'll watch anymore.
#9 of 55 Old 01-09-2009, 02:41 AM

I saw the episode too and it scared the hell out of me! My son is 4 and not vaccinated for anything. Of all of the vaccines the MMR one was always one of the scariest to me. But, while i think the episode was CRAZY, I am sure that there are some children out there who HAVE died from complications from measles. While it may be a low number, it can happen to anyones child right? Mine, yours?

My son is pretty healthy and last year he had the croup, which went away and came back as pneumonia. Before we figured out what was wrong with him he had a very high fever and was lethargic. Now from a kid who is rarely sick to pneumonia---I WAS A BASKET CASE! Just seeing him so weak and tired and not knowing what was wrong, it broke my heart.

So the question I ask myself now is are the chances of him getting complications from measles greater than the chances of him experiencing life altering side effects from the vaccine? I am not sure, and I am doing my research. Because I remember the feeling I had when he was sick with pneumonia and I just cringe. He was nowhere near close to death, but for the short time that we did not know what it was, it was pure agony. And I guess part of me is willing to take the chance with the vaccine if it means he is spared that level of sickness. I am not sure..just thinking out loud.

Simone

Ps does anyone know if the Measles vaccine is available by itself?
#10 of 55 Old 01-09-2009, 03:20 AM

I knew there was a reason I stopped watching this!! Why did it have to come on after Grey's and make me sit and watch?!

Anyways, I agree, this is fearmongering and it is wrong. I wouldn't be surprised if the CDC or a drug company had some ($$$) say in this plotline.

How disturbing. :

mama to August May (8/06) Liberty Kiana (7/08) and Calliope Rose (6/15/10)
#11 of 55 Old 01-09-2009, 03:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvenom View Post
I saw the episode too and it scared the hell out of me! My son is 4 and not vaccinated for anything. Of all of the vaccines the MMR one was always one of the scariest to me. But, while i think the episode was CRAZY, I am sure that there are some children out there who HAVE died from complications from measles. While it may be a low number, it can happen to anyones child right? Mine, yours?

My son is pretty healthy and last year he had the croup, which went away and came back as pneumonia. Before we figured out what was wrong with him he had a very high fever and was lethargic. Now from a kid who is rarely sick to pneumonia---I WAS A BASKET CASE! Just seeing him so weak and tired and not knowing what was wrong, it broke my heart.

So the question I ask myself now is are the chances of him getting complications from measles greater than the chances of him experiencing life altering side effects from the vaccine? I am not sure, and I am doing my research. Because I remember the feeling I had when he was sick with pneumonia and I just cringe. He was nowhere near close to death, but for the short time that we did not know what it was, it was pure agony. And I guess part of me is willing to take the chance with the vaccine if it means he is spared that level of sickness. I am not sure..just thinking out loud.

Simone

Ps does anyone know if the Measles vaccine is available by itself?
I think the show did what they intended it to do. Scare you. I just read a post by Peggy O'mara. SHe stated that the cases of measles between 2007 and 2008 were 131. 63 of them were in unvax'd children. 68 were in vax'd children. Even if you vax for measles, you can still get it.
#12 of 55 Old 01-09-2009, 03:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineMommy View Post
I think the show did what they intended it to do. Scare you. I just read a post by Peggy O'mara. SHe stated that the cases of measles between 2007 and 2008 were 131. 63 of them were in unvax'd children. 68 were in vax'd children. Even if you vax for measles, you can still get it.
Yep, you are right. I know..but it something that is always in the back of my mind. then I think about the side effects and try not to think about it .Then it comes up again and I struggle again. Its so hard. I know he can still get it. Do you know if Attenuvax (the single does of measles vax) is available anywhere? Thanks for your reply.
#13 of 55 Old 01-09-2009, 03:41 AM

I have heard of people spliting up the MMR. I am sure you can find it somewhere. I guess it just takes a lot of searching. If it's something you want, start searching. Just call every ped office until you find one.

I know how you feel about the feeling okay then feeling scared. I was that way too for a while when I decided to stop vaxing my 3 older dc and not vaxing #4 at all. What really helped me was learning about how we become immune to things. Here is a video by Mary Tocco that is really awesome. http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...15212287981735

Everything will be okay!!
#14 of 55 Old 01-09-2009, 03:49 AM

I will NEVER, Watch this show again.. I am soo angry right now. fear mongering at its highest!
#15 of 55 Old 01-09-2009, 04:00 AM

I couldn't believe it when he vaccinated the other son while the mom was yelling NO!
#16 of 55 Old 01-09-2009, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineMommy View Post
That is not true/ not totally true. only 11 had known status as vaccinated. A large number were of 'unknown status'. And another group were not old enough for vaccination.

Quote:
Among the 131 measles patients, 123 were U.S. residents, of whom 99 (80%) were aged <20 years (Table). Five (4%) of the 123 patients had received 1 dose of MMR vaccine, six (5%) had received 2 doses of MMR vaccine, and 112 (91%) were unvaccinated or had unknown vaccination status. Among these 112 patients, 95 (85%) were eligible for vaccination, and 63 (66%) of those were unvaccinated because of philosophical or religious beliefs
SO:
6 vaccinated completely
5 vaccinated partially
63 unvaccinated for rel/philo reasons
17 unvaccinated for age reasons
50 of undetermined status

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm5733a1.htm

99% of these cases came from 3 outbreaks which can all be traced to unvaccinated status.

"Parents are simply trustees; they do not own the bodies of their children"-Norm Cohen  Martial arts instructor intactlact.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif and mom to 4: DD1 (1/05) DS (7/06) DD2 (5/08) DD3 (2/11)
#17 of 55 Old 01-09-2009, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvenom View Post
I guess the question is more to do with what risks you find acceptable or unacceptable. Life is full of risk. Sure there's the vax vs. unvax question specifically for these diseases. Then there's driving with your child in the car. Which is riskier? I don't know for certain, but I bet driving with your child in the car is more risky that the risk of catching and dying from measles and more risky than the risks posed by the vaccine.

How do you accept one risk yet reject another? And when choosing between two very low risk scenarios, how is it that at the same time, you can be comfortable doing something much more risky, statistically, to your child's wellbeing?

I'm not trying to be argumentative, just trying to show that your risk either way (vax or no vax) is low and almost certainly lower than other risks you take with your ds' health/life on a regular basis. Try to put it in that context to help you drain away quite so much emotion, and approach it in a more logical, rational manner. It might help you feel more comfortable with your choice (vax or nonvax).
#18 of 55 Old 01-09-2009, 10:52 AM

Sigh, I knew I didn't watch this show for good reason.

Personally, I was kinda bummed when the measles broke out here and my kids didn't get exposed. The media and health officials treated it like plague was running rampant, but most of the ppl I have talked to who have had it, say it was not really any big deal, unless you are elderly and have never had it.
#19 of 55 Old 01-09-2009, 10:53 AM

Ick. We don't have cable so I didn't watch, but there was an episode of ER just like this years ago, so I had to comment!

Sarahknit.gifmarried to Kylehopmad.gif Mama to Orion  bouncy.gif08/07 and introducing Alice! babygirl.gif 02/11
DCP to 1 busy munchkin! and a CRST too!

#20 of 55 Old 01-09-2009, 10:53 AM

Most of the people who die from measles are very malnourished. They simply do not consume enough calories to produce a fever and fight the virus.

I'm sure it has happened, but I don't know of anyone personally who has died of measles. I really don't think it happens in healthy people.
#21 of 55 Old 01-09-2009, 11:35 AM

I don't think the measles is anymore serious than the chickenpox. There is a risk of complications, yes. And yes, the whole show was propaganda designed to scare the pants off parents who haven't vaxed. Don't tell me the drug companies/cdc had NOTHING to do with it. The dialogue was just a little too pat.

nak.gif Mommy to fencing.gifKai 2/03, hammer.gifCaden 1/08, energy.gif Kara 10/09, angel1.gif 3/21/13, &

rainbow1284.gif baby.gif  Cole 2/3/14 ♡ Happily unmarried to geek.gif Papa since 2002 ♡

~We may not have it all together  but together we have it all~ uc.jpgsaynovax.gifgoorganic.jpgintactivist.giflactivist.gif 

#22 of 55 Old 01-09-2009, 12:01 PM

I stopped watching after the dr vaced the kid against the mom's will. I would sue the crap out of that dr. What happened afterthat? Did the mom take any type of action, or did she suddenly "see the error of her ways?"
#23 of 55 Old 01-09-2009, 12:11 PM

I kept watching b/c I wanted to see what they would do to Cooper for vax'ing the boy. They did NOTHING! The mom said she'd sue if anything happened, which of course it didn't in 5 mins or so that they showed after the fact. Meanwhile, the child with measles dies, and mom is shown hugging the other boys, with a grateful look on her face.

So yeah, I would say the "she saw the error of her ways" is implied.
#24 of 55 Old 01-09-2009, 12:18 PM

Carriebft: THis is the post i was talking about. I appreciate your info though.

Private Practice Speaks for CDC

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm in shock after watching tonight's episode of Private Practice. It's about a child bringing measles into a medical clinic. Parents who don't vaccinate are called child abusers and portrayed as pariahs. Measles is shown to be a serious disease, and in the episode a child dies from measles, something that is rare, happening once in every 5000 cases. Being that the total number of US measles cases in 2007 was 42, the likelihood of seeing a measles death is extremely rare, especially for school-aged children. A doctor forcibly vaccinates the child's brother for measles in the show, against the will of his mother. One of the parents who doesn't vaccinate is dowdy and slightly hysterical; the other a drug addict. The show breeds a dangerously vicious intolerance for freedom on conscience and acts as a mouthpiece for the CDC. Is it any coincidence that the CDC is holding a meeting in Ashland, Oregon this Saturday because 30% of the kindergartners are not vaccinated for measles. This topic has been all over MSNBC. An article in Discover said that the number of measles cases had dramatically risen from 2007 to 2008 and was at its highest level in more than a decade. According to the CDC, 63 of the 131 new cases of measles from January to July 2008 were among those unvaccinated. The majority of the cases (68), however were among those vaccinated. That wasn't mentioned in the article and is never addressed. It just doesn't make sense that unvaccinated kids put vaccinated kids at risk as long as the vaccines themselves are effective. I find it particularly amusing, if it weren't so tragic, that the show was about measles, a mild disease that my friends and I all had as children. The portrayal of the disease in the show is far from the truth. When will the CDC learn that they will not persuade intelligent parents with fear and awe, but only when they acknowledge the validity of our concerns?
#25 of 55 Old 01-09-2009, 02:40 PM

Quote:
99% of these cases came from 3 outbreaks which can all be traced to unvaccinated status.
Have you ever seen the movie And The Band Played On? At the time, it was alleged to be based on fact. They found "patient zero" who supposedly got the AIDS ball rolling in the U.S. His name was Gaetan Dugas. The CDC tracked it all back to him, and they had some great flow charts in the movie showing how Dugas spread it. It was all very believable. Unfortunately, it has been completely discredited many years after the fact.

The question to ask is, "Does the CDC have any motive at all to track measles outbreaks back to unvaccinated children?" And then do they have any motive to spread that news via their media channels and doctors?

I think there is certainly a possibility that an unvaxed child spread the measles to other children because that it normal and the measles and chicken pox and mumps and rubella are all normal. I know this may sound twisted to some, but those keeping the measles around are in a sense saving the remnant. Those who are genetically modifying our world without any understanding at all of what the consequences might be are the ones to fear. The genetic code is full of unknowns.

My point is, people can say or write whatever they want. Give that person a title and all of a sudden they have instant credibility as an authority. In my experience, very few people actually have any idea at all what they are talking about, especially medical authorities. Numbers are the easiest thing in the world to manipulate.

The CDC also plays all kinds of tricks when it comes to determining vax status. They would much rather prefer to mark "unknown" status then vaxed when following an "outbreak" of measles. They don't want people to lose faith in their products. Even if a lot of this occurs on mass unconscious level within the agency.

Measles is almost completely harmless and arguably an important developmental stage. When I studied under an herbalist and learned aspects of the Eastern health model, I was told by many sources that measles is not something to fear but rather embrace because of the emotional and physical maturation that occurs as a result of the condition.

Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation. - Oscar Wilde
#26 of 55 Old 01-09-2009, 03:04 PM

Thanks everyone. I now realize just how ridiculous this episode was.. I cant believe I was worrying for even a second about choosing not to vaccinate my daughter... The small amount of measles cases that there are now doesnt even BEGIN TO COMPARE to the amount of autism cases. 1 in 150 kids, 1 in 90 boys... But of course, lets not even consider that vaccines could have had anything to do with it! My 5 year old son has autism.. My 6 month old daughter seems neurotypical.. She is a completely different baby than my son was, she babbles, looks at you in the eyes, always wants attention... My son didnt do these things as a baby.. And guess what the difference is??? He was vaccinated and she wasnt! So that says it all to me right there... Anyway I could go on and on about this. Its the one subject that gets me upset more than anything! But I dont think things are ever going to change because the drug companies will always have control with all their money. Its a very sad situation right now
#27 of 55 Old 01-09-2009, 03:21 PM

I posted this in the other thread:

Looks like the show is floundering. http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...,7926618.story

So maybe ABC will cast it away.

I'm assuming that this particular episode was made in response to the Eli Stone show that had a little boy come down with Autism after his MMR vaccine, and the family won the case.

Also take into consideration, TV shows and NEWS want ratings!! They love getting people all excited and shock sells! They don't care if what they have on TV is truthful or exaggerated. Heck, the general public thinks that these actors know how to practice medicine.

Laura~ wife to my stuntman, Stig, mama to Gavin Rutgar reading.gif(4) and now Wyatt Andreas (1) and 2 little angel1.gif.

#28 of 55 Old 01-09-2009, 03:35 PM

yup so done with this show now. What idiots... The whole time I watched it all I could think was "wow... this is a huge commercial for Merk!!"

Disgusting!

Val, Mama to Aidan (5 years) and Autumn (almost 2)
#29 of 55 Old 01-09-2009, 03:35 PM

After seeing this, I wouldn't be at all shocked to discover the drug companies paid them to make this episode.
#30 of 55 Old 01-09-2009, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neetling View Post
I couldn't believe it when he vaccinated the other son while the mom was yelling NO!
OMGsh this is one of my worst nightmares. After that incident in court where the parents were physically held while the children were vaccinated against their will, I've had nightmares of this. Scares the cr@p out of me.

I can just imagine a bunch of sheeple watching this show and nodding their heads "good job doctor" :

Mama to expecting Babe 2

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page