Private Practice Speaks for CDC - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 33 Old 01-09-2009, 02:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm in shock after watching tonight's episode of Private Practice. It's about a child bringing measles into a medical clinic. Parents who don't vaccinate are called child abusers and portrayed as pariahs. Measles is shown to be a serious disease, and in the episode a child dies from measles, something that is rare, happening once in every 5000 cases. Being that the total number of US measles cases in 2007 was 42, the likelihood of seeing a measles death is extremely rare, especially for school-aged children. A doctor forcibly vaccinates the child's brother for measles in the show, against the will of his mother. One of the parents who doesn't vaccinate is dowdy and slightly hysterical; the other a drug addict. The show breeds a dangerously vicious intolerance for freedom on conscience and acts as a mouthpiece for the CDC. Is it any coincidence that the CDC is holding a meeting in Ashland, Oregon this Saturday because 30% of the kindergartners are not vaccinated for measles. This topic has been all over MSNBC. An article in Discover said that the number of measles cases had dramatically risen from 2007 to 2008 and was at its highest level in more than a decade. According to the CDC, 63 of the 131 new cases of measles from January to July 2008 were among those unvaccinated. The majority of the cases (68), however were among those vaccinated. That wasn't mentioned in the article and is never addressed. It just doesn't make sense that unvaccinated kids put vaccinated kids at risk as long as the vaccines themselves are effective. I find it particularly amusing, if it weren't so tragic, that the show was about measles, a mild disease that my friends and I all had as children. The portrayal of the disease in the show is far from the truth. When will the CDC learn that they will not persuade intelligent parents with fear and awe, but only when they acknowledge the validity of our concerns?
#2 of 33 Old 01-09-2009, 12:15 PM

I was horrified by the show as well. Unfortunately I bet it scared a lot of parents. It scared me and bothered me just before I went to sleep last night, even though I know better. I could not believe that the kid died at the end after coming to the doctor's office the same day, feeling just fine other than like he had a cold. Ridiculous. I don't normally watch this show, but wow, that was some bad acting too. I did notice that everyone else in the show was very attractive, other than the mom who does not vaccinate. I will make a point of not watching this show again and I sure hope they don't start doing this type of show on Grey's Anatomy as well or I would have to stop watching it.
#3 of 33 Old 01-09-2009, 12:58 PM

Well put, Peggy.

I am looking all over the Web for something...maybe one of you will know what I am talking about. There is a page on either the CDC or the AAP Web site for screenwriters. It contains "script ideas" (AKA propaganda). I can't find it--any help would be appreciated. I want to share the link on Facebook so my friends will get some perspective on last night's show. Thanks!
#4 of 33 Old 01-09-2009, 01:36 PM

I was horrified by last nights show. I actually like that program and was so upset by the content, and the portrayal of the mom. I though they could have highlighted the 2 doctors who agreed that the mother was within her rights to choose. I couldn't believe that the child died. I am sure many parents are terrified. It is very very sad.
#5 of 33 Old 01-09-2009, 01:43 PM

I saw it too and was shocked. I don't normally watch that show but since it came on right after Gray's and I caught that it was about vaxing I was hooked.

It scared me too and I've done the reading and know how rare of a situation that would be.

It makes me so angry how they paint parents who don't vaccinate as scared of Autism or uneducated in their choices. And then they said that Social Services should be called for endangering the children :

I'm still fuming :

Mariah
Mommy to Lily & Kane and we're homeschooling joy.gif
#6 of 33 Old 01-09-2009, 01:52 PM

I couldn't agree more. The show was shocking - as it was written to be. "They're" saying the mother is using fear to make a bad decision on behalf of her children. Well, it goes both ways...

I turned the tv off and went to bed thinking about my precious dds. I wouldn't ever use scare tactics to parent them, so I won't be swayed by them myself.

If anything, this show is the perfect example of just why it's crucial that we educate ourselves so we can feel confident making such important decisions for our children.
#7 of 33 Old 01-09-2009, 02:32 PM

I thought it was appalling and in very bad taste. I am SHOCKED to be quite honest. I feel like they totally mis-represented the issue and probabily scared thousands if not millions of Mama's into vaccinating their children out of fear and not a mindful decision. And the whole thing with the Ped vaxing with-out permission was DISGUSTING and not only completly WRONG also ILLEGAL! Well, at least it is illegal in Illinois, my ped told me himself that he could never vaccinate a child without permission because the parent could have him arrested for Attempted Murder! That was a big Ahh Haa moment for me only adding to my confidence in not vaxing.

I was a big fan of this show until last night and now I don't know how I will ever watch it again:

Amy

Amy praying.gifbfinfant.gifslinggirl.gif familybed2.gif saynovax.gifsewmachine.gif crochetsmilie.gifWAHM to energy.gifElle 3/2/2004, joy.gifMeadow 12/02/2006, bouncy.gifAzaliah 4/09/2009, and baby.gif Olive 09/23/2011. I have been partners.gif married to my husband Bill since 2/22/03.....

#8 of 33 Old 01-09-2009, 02:40 PM

I cannot BELIEVE that he vaccinated that woman's youngest kid without her consent!

What else I thought was ridiculous was that by the time the doctor examined that kid for the first time he looked AWFUL. That wasn't just some cold and I could tell by looking at the kid. My son is not vaccinanted any more and if he developed some weird illness we would be at the ER stat!
#9 of 33 Old 01-09-2009, 03:04 PM

Looks like the show is floundering. http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...,7926618.story

So maybe ABC will cast it away.

I'm assuming that this particular episode was made in response to the Eli Stone show that had a little boy come down with Autism after his MMR vaccine, and the family won the case.

Laura~ wife to my stuntman, Stig, mama to Gavin Rutgar reading.gif(4) and now Wyatt Andreas (1) and 2 little angel1.gif.

#10 of 33 Old 01-09-2009, 03:18 PM

I am so glad someone else posted about this. I never watch this show and just so happened to catch it last night. I was in shock watching it. I mean the way they talked about that mother as if she were a child abuser. Then the fact they vaccinated the youngest son without her consent. Another poster said this also, but something I don't get is why vax the youngest kid since he had already been exposed to the measles? It just doesn't make sense to me. My understanding is that the only vax that works after the fact is rabies. Am I wrong about that? Also way back when the measles were just like the chicken pox, everyone got it and noone thought much of it. Also, is it just me or are we bombarded with stuff about vaccines? You turn on the tv and you have ads or shows, you turn on the radio and you have ads, and you go to the store and you hear ads about how you should get the flu shot. Am I the only one noticing this? My family has been vaccine free for 4 yrs now and this is the most I have heard about vaxing.
#11 of 33 Old 01-09-2009, 03:31 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
:

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

#12 of 33 Old 01-09-2009, 03:56 PM

I have never watched this and glad I don't!
#13 of 33 Old 01-09-2009, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8'sMom View Post
I have never watched this and glad I don't!

: And I certiantly won't start now.

OUR DAUGHTERS ARE PROTECTED SHOULDN'T OUR SONS BE TOO! :
#14 of 33 Old 01-09-2009, 05:20 PM

I actually liked the show when it first came out.
Of course the longer I watched it the worse it has gotten. The whole story line is very onesided.
Like that Dell guy used to want to be a midwife at first, but he now he's happy to be a receptionist. Just as well since just about every birth on that show is an emergency c-section...
And the measles thing - just icing on a cake of ignorant bs.
#15 of 33 Old 01-09-2009, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBinSATX View Post
Like that Dell guy used to want to be a midwife at first, but he now he's happy to be a receptionist. Just as well since just about every birth on that show is an emergency c-section...
Totally OT but he actually has his own office now and is seeing clients to get his license, I think. They just don't show him doing anything with clients (just like they rarely show Pete the holistic health expert doing anything with clients, either. I guess their work isn't dramatic enough? ).

Getting back to the topic...I was also very upset and was here on MDC during commercial breaks to commiserate. I spent a little time looking for actual numbers and found this very new epidemiological paper in The Lancet. In over 12000 reported cases of measles in Europe over a two year period, 7 resulted in death. Those statistics are a far cry from the picture of measles painted last night...the dialogue gave the impression that measles is often gravely serious.
#16 of 33 Old 01-09-2009, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ13 View Post
It makes me so angry how they paint parents who don't vaccinate as scared of Autism or uneducated in their choices.
Sad thing is, that IS how most people see "us" (parent who dont vax) Pisses me off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9sarchik View Post
I'm assuming that this particular episode was made in response to the Eli Stone show that had a little boy come down with Autism after his MMR vaccine, and the family won the case.
Ohhh the cdc was PISSED about that one. Made me love the show even more! lol.

Laura wife to Chris proud mommy to our lil monkey (c-section 6-10-06), our other lil monkey (HBAC 3-08-09) Our next and last son (due by HBAC mid July 2011) and our angel (10-03-04). My middle son has many severe food allergies.

#17 of 33 Old 01-09-2009, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DQMama View Post
I am looking all over the Web for something...maybe one of you will know what I am talking about. There is a page on either the CDC or the AAP Web site for screenwriters. It contains "script ideas" (AKA propaganda).
Aha, I found it: http://www.cdc.gov/healthmarketing/e...tip_sheets.htm

related:

http://insidevaccines.com/wordpress/...and-the-media/

http://www.ama-assn.org/ama1/pub/upl..._flu_nowak.pdf

DS 2006 nocirc.gif DiaperFreeBaby angel1.gif March 2010, DD 2011

#18 of 33 Old 01-09-2009, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DQMama View Post
Well put, Peggy.

I am looking all over the Web for something...maybe one of you will know what I am talking about. There is a page on either the CDC or the AAP Web site for screenwriters. It contains "script ideas" (AKA propaganda). I can't find it--any help would be appreciated. I want to share the link on Facebook so my friends will get some perspective on last night's show. Thanks!

Here you go: http://www.cdc.gov/HealthMarketing/e...ent_education/
#19 of 33 Old 01-09-2009, 07:17 PM

Last night's show was disgusting. I was livid while watching. I used to watch this show because I like Grey's Anatomy and I was curious if it would be good... it has never really picked up as anything more than a mediocore nighttime soap, and it's OFF my DVR queue after last night.

I am not bothered by not seeing my kind of parenting in mainstream TV. I am not surprised that there are no cloth diapers, nursing toddlers, etc. But I am bothered when a show is actively hateful of my choices. Addison mocked Dell's midwifery, she also is a huge proponent of c-sections. I can't watch this rubbish.

Beautiful post, Peggy. Spot on.

--"Mama Bear" : to DD 8/06
Tree-hugging :, queer-loving , liberal, feminist hippie mom! :
#20 of 33 Old 01-09-2009, 08:37 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
DISGUSTED. I wish there was something we could do. "How many of these little time-bombs are running around here?"

Mommy to THREE sweet boys & ONE sweet girl + a newb due in February!  I need a nap. 
#21 of 33 Old 01-10-2009, 09:11 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I feel the same as many PP. I was scared at the end and sick to my stomach if that were to happen to DS and I have done HOURS of research. I know logically the chance is soooo small but media is powerful.

I watch this show from time to time and usually enjoy it. I don't think I will bother after this episode.

When they were talking about reporting the parents to child protective services and saying she was abusing her son, I just about lost it.
#22 of 33 Old 01-10-2009, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy O'Mara View Post
I'm in shock after watching tonight's episode of Private Practice.
Ditto!
I was horrified to see that woman being held while a doctor violated that boy with a vaccination.

Besides the obvious abuse mentioned above, I have two big issues with the way they portrayed the non-vax woman:

1) When people choose not to vax, quite often they use an alternative type of healing and do not put their kids 100% at the hands of a doctor. They did not portray this woman as someone who does anything else to help her child heal.

2) Not all no-vax people are about autism. Personally my research does not show a correlation BUT we don't vax at all for plenty of other reasons.

What a horrible show, did anyone get a list of sponsors or should I drag it out of the TiVo trash and play it again to catch the main ones?

-Kolleen
#23 of 33 Old 01-10-2009, 03:00 PM

This is horrifying. What can we do? Or rather where should I send my strongly worded letter. :
#24 of 33 Old 01-10-2009, 03:19 PM

There is a "Medical Researcher's Blog" by Moira McMahon on the Private Practice page at abc.com. She doesn't explain much about their research and instead offers an excerpt of the storyline and concludes:

Quote:
Michael's condition deteriorates further as the virus rages through his body. Cooper is so upset watching Michael suffer that he goes against the mother's wishes and vaccinates her youngest child without getting parental consent. This goes against parents' rights and crosses an ethical line. But Cooper does it anyway because he can't watch another child endure the virus and its potential complications when the vaccine works so well.

Sadly, Michael passes away from complications of the measles. In this case, the mother's decision to "protect" her child resulted in his death.

There are a growing number of parents who are not vaccinating their children because of their beliefs about the safety of the vaccines. But in choosing not to vaccinate, are they taking on a greater risk than the one they are trying to avoid?

What would you do?
http://abc.go.com/primetime/privatep...g#t=0&d=167360
One area of research that they seriously missed is there are biomedical treatments for autism in this country (Generation Rescue and DAN) ... why on earth did they have the family going to Switzlerland for it? Among other inconsistencies. I'd like to give Ms. McMahon a piece of my mind but there isn't a comment section.
#25 of 33 Old 01-10-2009, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS View Post
There is a "Medical Researcher's Blog" by Moira McMahon on the Private Practice page at abc.com. She doesn't explain much about their research and instead offers an excerpt of the storyline and concludes:

One area of research that they seriously missed is there are biomedical treatments for autism in this country (Generation Rescue and DAN) ... why on earth did they have the family going to Switzlerland for it? Among other inconsistencies. I'd like to give Ms. McMahon a piece of my mind but there isn't a comment section.
Nope no comments.
I did vote but it feels so insignificant.
#26 of 33 Old 01-10-2009, 05:49 PM

i just voted- 72% say that a parent has a right to choose!!!

Julieknit.gif, DP to modifiedartist.gif, mama to DD (7)dust.gif , and DS (5)joy.gif

#27 of 33 Old 01-10-2009, 05:54 PM

I had the show dvr'd and just recently finished watching it (with dh who normally does not watch.) I cried when the doctor vax'd the boy as the mom was yelling "no". Not only because of how I feel about vaccinations but because as a mother my worst fear is not being able to get to get to my sons (watching that mother be restrained brought up a lot of anxiety in me) and to protect them. It was awful and dh was equally pissed.

April thankful mommy to my boys Big Red 3/06 Little Z 9/08 and happily awaiting the arrival of 10/10 :
#28 of 33 Old 01-10-2009, 06:26 PM

OMG!! I was absolutely enraged with this episode. Private Practice has always been hit or miss with me, but I will not watch it anymore. I couldn't believe how much they sounded like the CDC and how one sided it was. I think that it should be a parent's right to choose to vax or not.

I don't have any kids, but I had foster kids and had to get them vaxed. They were 2 and 3 at the time and had never had a vaccine. So the doctor came is and gave them all at once. I was under the impression that they were spreading them out. Didn't realize until I got home that they hadn't. I was horrified. I had to hold the 2 year old down and she cried all the way home. The 3 year old had a lot of stomach issues after getting vaxed.

When I have a baby in the near future, it will not be vaccinated and I hope that I won't have to deal with those kinds of things with doctors. And believe me, if a doctor did that to my child, you better believe that I would sue.

With shows like this and all the drug company commercials, there is a reason that I don't watch much tv these days.

Sorry for the long post. I don't post much, but just had to comment on this.

Tanya
#29 of 33 Old 01-10-2009, 06:34 PM

Location: back in the GREAT state of Minnesota! oh how i have missed you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelika13 View Post
I was horrified by last nights show. I actually like that program and was so upset by the content, and the portrayal of the mom. I though they could have highlighted the 2 doctors who agreed that the mother was within her rights to choose. I couldn't believe that the child died. I am sure many parents are terrified. It is very very sad.
i love the show at i agree with you! i wrote ABC on how i was horrified and felt they did not show both sides at all!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyandelle View Post
I thought it was appalling and in very bad taste. I am SHOCKED to be quite honest. I feel like they totally mis-represented the issue and probabily scared thousands if not millions of Mama's into vaccinating their children out of fear and not a mindful decision. And the whole thing with the Ped vaxing with-out permission was DISGUSTING and not only completly WRONG also ILLEGAL! Well, at least it is illegal in Illinois, my ped told me himself that he could never vaccinate a child without permission because the parent could have him arrested for Attempted Murder! That was a big Ahh Haa moment for me only adding to my confidence in not vaxing.

I was a big fan of this show until last night and now I don't know how I will ever watch it again:

Amy
again.. i agree with you! i will watch it again. i am just sad they did what they did!

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9sarchik View Post
Looks like the show is floundering. http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...,7926618.story

So maybe ABC will cast it away.

hmmmm.... that is a thought!

Your life doesnât change by the man whos elected. If your loved by someone you can't be rejected... decide what to be and go be it! If your a caged bird brake in and demand that somebody free it.
#30 of 33 Old 01-10-2009, 06:46 PM

This show made me so mad!
What really upsets me is that my girlfriend, who has a 5 month old baby, is on the fence about vaccinating. She watches this show and now everything I've ever said to her about vax goes out the window!
I am so done with all the "fear tactics" the medical system puts out there...and the fact that people buy into them without doing their research!

Elizabeth, mom to two beautiful boys and wife to my handsome hubby!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page