Return of the Gosselins! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 369 Old 02-12-2009, 07:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think the show has a totally different feel now that they're in their new house "with acreage." :

It's no longer two parents struggling to raise eight kids as "normal" folks. It feels more like, "we're so wealthy now... let's show you all of the things we can buy." Perhaps it will change over time, but that's the feeling I'm getting.

Did anybody see Kate making the rounds because of the Mom who gave birth to Octuplets?? I saw her on Dr. Phil (just a portion) and on Larry King. She looks so.... umm... looking for the word... stylized?? So very different from the Kate in the beginning. To me it just emphasizes how much their lives have gone beyond "normal."

Mom to DS(8), DS(6), DD(4), and DS(1).  "Kids do as well as they can."

#62 of 369 Old 02-13-2009, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookGoddess View Post
When they first started out I remember Kate complaining about the grocery bill and she was obsessively clipping coupons. That seems to have gone away.
You must not have seen the episode where Jon recently purchased the showerhead and didn't take the coupon for it. Kate was extremely upset at him over it and even said that she uses coupons for "everything."
Quote:
Originally Posted by umsami
Did anybody see Kate making the rounds because of the Mom who gave birth to Octuplets?? I saw her on Dr. Phil (just a portion) and on Larry King. She looks so.... umm... looking for the word... stylized?? So very different from the Kate in the beginning. To me it just emphasizes how much their lives have gone beyond "normal."
I thought she looked good on there. I think they do give a bit of an impression that they have the perfect family in some ways when she does these appearances, but other than that, I enjoyed seeing Kate on Dr. Phil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBug
Did anyone else notice that cara and mady have not been on the last 2 shows?
I would assume they are in school since it's usually mentioned that the LOs eat lunch and nap during those shows.

Kate bugged me on the last episode where Jon was doing most of the talking from their "chair." She commented one time that she was so sorry to try and steal his thunder or something to that effect. That bugged me, especially since she usually does ALL the talking.

I think Jon & Kate both need some parenting skills, they obviously aren't in a position to give "advice" on parenting. They are both pretty rough on their kids.

Single (divorced), self-employed working, college student MOM to:

17 yr old

11 yr old 

4 yr old

#63 of 369 Old 02-13-2009, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dearmama22 View Post
I saw Kate on the Dr Phil show today. I thought she looked way too made up. I didn't recogonize her- she was wearing a TON of makeup, her hair was freshly colored and her teeth are so white and straight!
I thought she looked great. I guess it wouldn't really be appropriate to go on a popular t.v. show wearing sweats, no make-up and looking frumpy. So I guess I don't blame her for dressing nice and looking her best. I would do that for church, a wedding, job interview or anywhere I want to impress, especially a t.v. show.

17 yr old

11 yr old 

4 yr old

#64 of 369 Old 02-13-2009, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicianDad
Which again makes me wonder what sort of nursing she did. I really can't see her cleaning out bed pans and cleaning up other peoples vomit when she can just bearly do it for her own kids.
I don't know many RNs that would do that sort of thing anyway. That's usually the job of the aide or CNA.

17 yr old

11 yr old 

4 yr old

#65 of 369 Old 02-13-2009, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy68 View Post
I don't know many RNs that would do that sort of thing anyway. That's usually the job of the aide or CNA.
At some point in her training she would like had to have done that. Most nurses here, including RN's have at least some duties that invlove unpleasant boldily fluids.

That being said. I can't remember which episode it was, but they went to Beth's (?) house to have their pictures taken. The last picture of the family upset me a bit. I've heard from a couple of people you can get cues to the family dynamic from family pictures. So what does it mean when Dad's over on one side of the frame surrounded by 7 kids and Mom's on the other side with one of her daughters? It did make me wonder if they really are as happy as they seem to want us to believe, or if the show is causing more stress an making things harder for them to deal with.

malesling.GIFMutant Papa to DD (12)hippie.gif and DS (2)babyf.gif, married to DHribbonrainbow.gif
If it looks like I'm trying to pick a fight... I'm not, I'm rarely that obvious.hammer.gif
#66 of 369 Old 02-13-2009, 04:33 PM

One of the first things I noticed about Kate on Dr. Phil was not what she was saying.... but how "freshly done" her hair looked -- fresh streaky highlights, fresh spikes in back, more sleek on the sides (not nearly as poofy as it has been the last few epis!).

Wish I had hair and makeup ppl to keep my highlights fresh.

B wife to B and mama to my two boys B 1/23/07 via csect and H 9/27/08 my vbac babe!
We , selectively (don't) vax, babywear, cosleep, love music, and try to be as crunchy as we can get!
#67 of 369 Old 02-13-2009, 06:00 PM

ah, but those are not good highlights, imo-way too stripey! every colorist I know shudders at stripey highlights.
#68 of 369 Old 02-13-2009, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicianDad View Post
Which again makes me wonder what sort of nursing she did. I really can't see her cleaning out bed pans and cleaning up other peoples vomit when she can just bearly do it for her own kids.
She was a Labor and Delivery nurse.

Massage therapist and artist, wife to English DH since 2002, Mummy to Oliver Finn 10/20/07 and Eamon Anthony 12/2/2010
#69 of 369 Old 02-14-2009, 01:22 AM

Quote:

That being said. I can't remember which episode it was, but they went to Beth's (?) house to have their pictures taken. The last picture of the family upset me a bit. I've heard from a couple of people you can get cues to the family dynamic from family pictures. So what does it mean when Dad's over on one side of the frame surrounded by 7 kids and Mom's on the other side with one of her daughters? It did make me wonder if they really are as happy as they seem to want us to believe, or if the show is causing more stress an making things harder for them to deal with.
Instead of giving cues to the family dynamic, I just think it's a reflection of where the photographer puts you.

I'm just wonderin' what they're going to have to film, once they fill their house with stuff.

Proud Catholic, homeschooling, RN-student mama of
DS 10 reading.gif  DS 8 fencing.gif DS 5, DD 3 energy.gif and a new DS  belly.gif 3/2011
#70 of 369 Old 02-14-2009, 02:16 AM

That's weird, because promotional photographs tend to be grouped closer together. Though just for the record, most families don't hire professional photographers to take their picture.

malesling.GIFMutant Papa to DD (12)hippie.gif and DS (2)babyf.gif, married to DHribbonrainbow.gif
If it looks like I'm trying to pick a fight... I'm not, I'm rarely that obvious.hammer.gif
#71 of 369 Old 02-14-2009, 03:35 AM

Quote:
That's weird, because promotional photographs tend to be grouped closer together. Though just for the record, most families don't hire professional photographers to take their picture.
I typically agree with most of the things you say but here I'm going to disagree. I think 98% of the families I know have had a professional photographer take a portrait of them at some point... most of them every few years.
#72 of 369 Old 02-14-2009, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyactsofcharity View Post
I typically agree with most of the things you say but here I'm going to disagree. I think 98% of the families I know have had a professional photographer take a portrait of them at some point... most of them every few years.
Key words there being "families I know". Unless you know more then 50% of the families in the US, you can't generalize that to the population.

#73 of 369 Old 02-14-2009, 04:55 AM

I suppose that is true but around here at least it is overwhelmingly common, even in the lower socioeconomic brackets, to have some sort of professional family portrait done. Even if it's at the mall.
#74 of 369 Old 02-14-2009, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyactsofcharity View Post
I suppose that is true but around here at least it is overwhelmingly common, even in the lower socioeconomic brackets, to have some sort of professional family portrait done. Even if it's at the mall.
I agree. We usually look for a "family" friend or someone who knows someone we know if we can to save $$ but we do it every couple of years ourselves at Christmas and I know tons of people who do it as well.

Plus, could you imagine trying to do your own family picture at home with 8 kids so young? I don't think I'd try it.

17 yr old

11 yr old 

4 yr old

#75 of 369 Old 02-14-2009, 08:41 AM

Has anyone else noticed that the house they live in now hasn't really been shown? I'm betting they won't be showing this house on the show like they did the last one. They had their last house on the opening of every show. I'm sure they want to remain as closed off as possible this time around, and I can't blame them for that.

17 yr old

11 yr old 

4 yr old

#76 of 369 Old 02-14-2009, 10:52 AM

I think it has more to do with not shocking their fans with the size of the new house, than anything. They haven't shown the pool or even the whole back of the house, either. I think they don't want to give up the "struggling to get by" persona that they've built all these years. The crazy freak out over the shower coupon strikes me as an attempt to further that, too.
#77 of 369 Old 02-14-2009, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey's mom View Post
I think it has more to do with not shocking their fans with the size of the new house, than anything. They haven't shown the pool or even the whole back of the house, either. I think they don't want to give up the "struggling to get by" persona that they've built all these years. The crazy freak out over the shower coupon strikes me as an attempt to further that, too.
I agree that they don't want the total truth out there. However I think the coupon reaction was totally 100% truthful. I know a few people that are quite wealthy and when talking to them they sound like they are struggling. This my friend is how the rich get richer......

As for the family portrait I agree that alot of ppl I know get a family portrait done every so often, either at the Picture People or Wal-mart which is super cheap for tons of pictures. I myself get our portrait done every year around the time of the kids birthdays. I get all of us together and then one of the kids together. And I agree trying to get a snapshot on our own with the timer with only 3 kids is HARD I can't imagine trying to do that with 8.

We may not have it all together, but together we have it all
#78 of 369 Old 02-14-2009, 04:11 PM

I think that the pictures just end up however their professional photographer poses them. Can you picture how much chaos is going on during those shoots? I can't see much thought being put into it from Jon and Kate, beyond making sure that everyone is dressed, groomed, and accounted for. They have the same guy who has been taking their pictures from the beginning. They like him, they trust that they will end up with a good shot in the end. And they do. We did not see how many, many pictures they took besides the few favorites that we are shown.

Also, I just have to say that couponing is in your blood. If you were raised being taught about coupons, how to shop frugally, etc. That doesn't just go away because you are making more money. She said, "You might as well throw a $20 bill in the trash". And she's right. I say that ALL the time, and laughed to myself a little to hear her say it also. It doesn't matter how much money they are making or how big of a house they are living in. They haven't always had this kind of money, and they have to know that the show will end at some point, and I just don't picture them using $20 bills as toilet paper. Which is what you might as well do if you have a $20 coupon for something, and just plain don't bother to use it.
#79 of 369 Old 02-14-2009, 04:21 PM

Know that Murphy follows me around with his law on hand, I probably wouldn't try a family photo save for something spontanious with kids that age.

It doesn't make sense that the professional photographer would set up such a gap between mom and her dd and dad and the other kids to be honest.

#80 of 369 Old 02-14-2009, 04:32 PM

That professional photographer does their photos for free. Has been since the tups were babies.

And perhaps the kids were annoyed that they were being forced to take a walk, when some of them didn't want to. But, when there's an episode to be filmed, they have no choice but to work. Didn't they say on a recent show that if the kids don't want to participate in filming, they aren't forced to? It looked like quite a few of them were forced to go on a hike for the purposes of making an episode to me.

Single WAHM to 5yo DD, 2yo DS, and forever 7 week old angel DD.
#81 of 369 Old 02-14-2009, 06:49 PM

I wish Kate was still friends with Beth ... I liked her on the show!

Quote:
While Carson is listed as a co-author on the book, she makes each of their contributions clear.

"They lived it and I wrote it," she said.
http://www.readingeagle.com/article.aspx?id=117302
#82 of 369 Old 02-14-2009, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cutiekitties View Post
I wish Kate was still friends with Beth
Did Kate say somewhere that she and Beth are not friends?
#83 of 369 Old 02-14-2009, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey's mom View Post
I think it has more to do with not shocking their fans with the size of the new house, than anything. They haven't shown the pool or even the whole back of the house, either. I think they don't want to give up the "struggling to get by" persona that they've built all these years.
I disagree. I think they are probably trying to be more private with this house. I bet they won't show a frontview of the house at any point. I may be wrong but I think they are probably going to be a little more discreet this time around. I can't blame them there.

And I can't believe they would have a house with a pool. Did they actually "say" they have a pool? The way Kate kept freaking when they were at the home at the beach would lead me to believe she'd freak having a pool in her yard with little ones running around outside unattended. But then again, they're still showing cold weather episodes at this point.

17 yr old

11 yr old 

4 yr old

#84 of 369 Old 02-14-2009, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysByMySide View Post
Didn't they say on a recent show that if the kids don't want to participate in filming, they aren't forced to? It looked like quite a few of them were forced to go on a hike for the purposes of making an episode to me.
But Kate wasn't home and they didn't have a sitter to help with the kids that didn't want to go on the hike, so they all had to go I'm sure. I agree that Jon shouldn't have done it in the first place. It was obviously not a good day for it. The kids all seemed tired and cranky and since they weren't used to going hiking I'm sure that didn't help. Plus, he didn't have the right mindset or attitude either. He was totally frustrated and overwhelmed since he was home alone with the kids.

17 yr old

11 yr old 

4 yr old

#85 of 369 Old 02-14-2009, 09:55 PM

I am personally happy that they are able to buy a big house to fit all the children and to beable to have their own space. I know my sister said her friend doesn't like that they have money now I donot understand that why would someone what somebody with 8 children to be on the verg of poor. what they have they have worked for. Jon got a new job and use to never be around (I remmeber the eppi when he was starting the new one) I didn't like how she kept saying the "kids deserve it" It seemed as though she was trying to convince the viewers that she didn't want the new house at all. I wouldn't personally want a home that large where I needed to scream to find Ds and who will be cleaning that I am a neat freak and I would go nuts! But for a family that big I do think "they" all deserve it.

When did Kate stop being friends with Beth? I liked her also. Also where did her SIL go she use to be with her all the time too wasn't her name Amy??

Glenn bouncy.gif 11*09 Joe 4*04 peace.gif Me praying.gif & Hubby geek.gif

Quote:

#86 of 369 Old 02-14-2009, 09:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We're not going to gossip or speculate about Beth and Kate, since it's not something covered on the show and MDC no long hosts celebrity gossip. Sorry.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#87 of 369 Old 02-14-2009, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JA'sMama View Post
I am personally happy that they are able to buy a big house to fit all the children and to beable to have their own space.
I agree. I would hope if I ever have the money to buy a bigger and better home to live in that those closest to me wouldn't be jealous or think I'm trying to show off.

17 yr old

11 yr old 

4 yr old

#88 of 369 Old 02-14-2009, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie View Post
We're not going to gossip or speculate about Beth and Kate, since it's not something covered on the show and MDC no long hosts celebrity gossip. Sorry.
Thank you. I know for a fact that it has not been mentioned on the show, and all of the speculation about it drives me nuts. If it ever IS addressed on the show (which I doubt), then we will have something to talk about!
#89 of 369 Old 02-14-2009, 10:45 PM

I just saw the hiking episode tonight.

I certainly agree that it looks like Jon and Kate had had an argument right before they taped the interview. Either that or, to give her the benfit of the doubt, maybe she was sick or exhausted and just didn't want to tape. But she looked miserable.

Proud mom to superhero.gifds2 (7/05), angel2.gif ds 1 (born into heaven at 38 weeks 11/03), and 5 more angels angel.gif (4/02) angel.gif (7/10) angel.gifangel.gif (11/10) angel.gif (11/12)

#90 of 369 Old 02-14-2009, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy68 View Post
He was totally frustrated and overwhelmed since he was home alone with the kids.
Seems to me they always have some excuse for treating those kids and each other like crud.

At some point, it's just how you are.

I wouldn't begrudge them a palatial mansion had it not been purchased by selling their children's privacy or seeking donations. Inheritence, hard work, high paying jobs, winning the lottery....have at it! Putting your kids to work in their own home and creating celebrities out of them while seeking hand-outs doesn't get a lot of respect from me.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page