Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOMYS View Post
Grandpa Duggar passed away a couple of weeks ago :-(
I had no clue

: for the Duggars

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#62 of 362 Old 02-25-2009, 05:02 PM

Discovery Health has a nice slide show of Grandpa Duggar.
http://health.discovery.com/tv/dugga...pa-duggar.html

He was 73. He had been married to his wife for 48 years! She looks incredible. I wonder how old she is?
#63 of 362 Old 02-25-2009, 05:20 PM

I think I remember her nursing on a previous special. They were touring a chocolate factory or something? I remember being amazed that someone could nurse and walk around at the same time. LOL. (Two babies later, I'm still pretty amazed; I'm not a walk around while nursing kind of girl)
#64 of 362 Old 02-25-2009, 05:28 PM

I can wait to see baby 18
#65 of 362 Old 02-27-2009, 01:12 AM

Does anyone know if you can watch these online? We went cable free last year and I really miss watching.

Allison wife and mom to four. 

#66 of 362 Old 02-27-2009, 01:28 AM

check youtube

GOOD moms let their kids lick the beaters. GREAT moms turn off the mixer first!
Humanist Woman Wife , & Friend Plus Mama to 6 (3 mos, 2, 9, 13, 17, 20)
#67 of 362 Old 02-27-2009, 01:44 AM

Yeah I have always been really impressed with the fact that Michelle has had 13 VBACS and 2 of those were VBA2C. I wonder if she will get to attempt a VBA3C if she has another baby...I hope so!

Steph

Steph~~momma to Rhys 2002, Niamh 2004, Isla 2007 and Deirdre 2009
#68 of 362 Old 02-27-2009, 04:09 AM

I have a question and I don't want to start a big arguement, I'm just confused. The Wikipedia for the Duggars says that TLC helped them build the house they live in? I'm almost 100% sure that isn't true. Anyone know anything about this?
#69 of 362 Old 02-27-2009, 09:31 AM

They began it on their own and built much of it on their own. I think TLC may have helped them finish it up.
#70 of 362 Old 02-27-2009, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cappuccinosmom View Post
They began it on their own and built much of it on their own. I think TLC may have helped them finish it up.
I wonder if they meant that through TLC they were able to get sponsors to donate (like Home Depot, GE for all the washers & dryers, etc.) & people to donate their time/work (like the NY decorator) for the opportunity to have TV exposure?

Happy mama of four Wild Things
"And now," cried Max "let the wild rumpus begin!"
#71 of 362 Old 02-27-2009, 12:56 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyactsofcharity View Post
I have a question and I don't want to start a big arguement, I'm just confused. The Wikipedia for the Duggars says that TLC helped them build the house they live in? I'm almost 100% sure that isn't true. Anyone know anything about this?
The Duggars did build the majority of their house on their own but near the end TLC did step in and help.
#72 of 362 Old 02-27-2009, 01:00 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*max*~ View Post
I wonder if they meant that through TLC they were able to get sponsors to donate (like Home Depot, GE for all the washers & dryers, etc.) & people to donate their time/work (like the NY decorator) for the opportunity to have TV exposure?
If you watch the special where they finish the house they talk about how the majority (if not all - I can't remember right now) of their appliances in the house were purchased second hand. The kitchen equipment came from a restaurant auction but I'm not 100% about the washers/dryers.
#73 of 362 Old 03-01-2009, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blessed mommy View Post
Who is the new, young woman on the show? She was at the wedding,and was determined to seal the getaway car. Is she related? Living with them? I find her absolutely annoying. I hope she isn't a keeper.JMHO.
Oh she was the cousin who gave the kissing advice to the groom right?
I thought that was kinda mean to seal the car with saran wrap, thus delaying the newly weds from getting to the hotel. Mean, but non-destructive to the car.

My kids saw that and want to do that to my brother and his bride now. I don't think Jim-Bob or Michelle knew.

I'm debating whether to let them saran wrap the car or not. His bride will be 7 months pregnant so she might thank them or kill them it's 50/50. My brother would laugh. I don't know if she'll think it's so cute. (Better than the shaving cream my brother and sister put on my truck when we got married that ate away the paint into the words.) LOL

I thought the wedding was so beautiful and meaningful that they waited and what Jim-Bob said to his son, no wonder Michelle is "all over him" like they said in the interview.

They can sew as they made the bridesmaid's dresses.

I can not imagine getting that many ppl ready for an event like that. And all that was wrong was locking the bride's ring in the saran-wrapped car and missing a shirt for Jim-Bob.

Did Jim-Bob pack himself? I loved how his friend gave him the shirt off his back.
#74 of 362 Old 03-02-2009, 03:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labbemama View Post
(Better than the shaving cream my brother and sister put on my truck when we got married that ate away the paint into the words.) LOL
Oh my gosh lol! My sister in law and brother in law just did the old paint pen things on our car. The only thing bad about that was by the time we got back from our honeymoon at the beach the car had baked in the sun so much it was SOOO hard to get that paint off.

Madalyn military wife to Chris & proud momma to Jonas 5/17/09
#75 of 362 Old 03-02-2009, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyactsofcharity View Post
I actually can answer this question if citing their book wouldn't be a UAV. Anyone wanna weigh in on that before I actually answer the question?
#76 of 362 Old 03-02-2009, 02:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikaG View Post
I actually can answer this question if citing their book wouldn't be a UAV. Anyone wanna weigh in on that before I actually answer the question?
That's not a problem. If you quote, keep it to 100 words or less and cite your source.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#77 of 362 Old 03-02-2009, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie View Post
That's not a problem. If you quote, keep it to 100 words or less and cite your source.
Thanks.

Page 209/210 of The Duggars: 20 and Counting actually talks about the house building and involvement of Discovery Channel-the family hired a professional contractor to help with some parts of the house near the end of construction, but that the Discovery Channel did pay for some of the plumbers and electricians so that the production crew didn't have to make too many trips back to Arkansas or stick around too long.

There's a little discussion a few pages later about the decorating experience though it's unclear about whether or not Discovery Channel contributed to that, but it does explicitly say that the piano was a gift from the piano company and the Discovery Channel.

It seems that there was some help but that it was limited.
#78 of 362 Old 03-03-2009, 11:15 PM

Anyone watching tonight?

I love how they showed her walking around nursing at the Christian film festival and talking about how nursing on demand isn't feeding the baby too much but what the baby needs.

mama to the Girls (15, 14, 13) and the Littles (5, 3) 
#79 of 362 Old 03-03-2009, 11:16 PM

I am watching the newest episode right now (the Duggars go to the Christian film festival), and I am so excited!

It shows Michelle breastfeeding-in public!!! :::

She has her "Brest Friend" pillow and a drape. The baby wakes up and she says something like, "my philosophy is to nurse when the baby wakes up-I figure that's what babies do, they sleep and then want to eat! They will only be little and nursing for so long and I want to cherish it."

Then, right there, standing in a huge convention center with tons of people, she straps on her pillow and nurses (with a drape, but I understand). I love that the show showed that, and that she specifically addressed it
#80 of 362 Old 03-03-2009, 11:18 PM

HA! I was obviously cross posting with the PP

I guess we were all excited about the breastfeeding!
#81 of 362 Old 03-03-2009, 11:55 PM

It was great to see! I personally can't imagine nursing while walking around with the My Brest Friend and a drape, it would feel so cumbersome, but I guess she's had a lot of practice. I also thought it was great how one of the little boys, Jackson maybe, was carrying the pillow over his shoulder as they left the room after meeting Kirk Cameron. It seemed to show that although Michelle nurses in a very modest way she still makes it a natural act in the eyes of the kids.

Michelle sounded like she weans at a particular time (early by MDC standards) because she talked about how once they are toddling they won't be nursing anymore. Anyone know about this?
#82 of 362 Old 03-04-2009, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calee View Post
I am watching the newest episode right now (the Duggars go to the Christian film festival), and I am so excited!

It shows Michelle breastfeeding-in public!!! :::

She has her "Brest Friend" pillow and a drape. The baby wakes up and she says something like, "my philosophy is to nurse when the baby wakes up-I figure that's what babies do, they sleep and then want to eat! They will only be little and nursing for so long and I want to cherish it."

Then, right there, standing in a huge convention center with tons of people, she straps on her pillow and nurses (with a drape, but I understand). I love that the show showed that, and that she specifically addressed it
:::

I was totally happy to see that!

Michelle does wean purposely, I don't know when but she doesn't extended breast feed.

malesling.GIFMutant Papa to DD (12)hippie.gif and DS (2)babyf.gif, married to DHribbonrainbow.gif
If it looks like I'm trying to pick a fight... I'm not, I'm rarely that obvious.hammer.gif
#83 of 362 Old 03-04-2009, 10:31 AM

I agree- seeing her being so cool about very publicly nursing was awesome! Someone who values modesty as much as she does can doing it without reservation on national TV really sends a message imo. Granted, it was under a cover, but still, I think it was a great message to send.
#84 of 362 Old 03-04-2009, 10:48 AM

I read in her book that pretty much, by around 9 months or so, her milk supply is gone. She has trouble maintaining enough milk and has lots of trouble breastfeeding. IIRC, she's met with every LLL person and lactation counselor in Arkansas (not really, but she's tried lots), and she just takes it one day at a time until there's no milk left.
#85 of 362 Old 03-04-2009, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Michelle does wean purposely, I don't know when but she doesn't extended breast feed.
Is there a reference for this?

I see it all the time but have never heard it from the Duggar's themselves.
#86 of 362 Old 03-04-2009, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Is there a reference for this?

I see it all the time but have never heard it from the Duggar's themselves.

From the Duggar's book, page 69:
Quote:
Typically, my menstrual cycle starts again when the baby is six to eight weeks old, and by the time the baby is eight or nine months old, I'm pregnant again. Then my milk supply goes down, and I have to begin supplementing the baby's diet with rice cereal and other forms of nutrition
In another part of the book she talks about how painful breastfeeding has been with all of her children until Jackson (15th child.)

mama to the Girls (15, 14, 13) and the Littles (5, 3) 
#87 of 362 Old 03-04-2009, 05:29 PM

Love the Duggars!

I'm interested to see their stance on discipline as I just started watching.
#88 of 362 Old 03-04-2009, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2J View Post
I agree- seeing her being so cool about very publicly nursing was awesome! Someone who values modesty as much as she does can doing it without reservation on national TV really sends a message imo. Granted, it was under a cover, but still, I think it was a great message to send.
I totally agree!

My Etsy Shop
Acorn Dolls~Wool Felt Crowns~Children's Craft Kits~Shooting Stars~Dancing Fairy Rings~Come On Over and Play!
#89 of 362 Old 03-05-2009, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Typically, my menstrual cycle starts again when the baby is six to eight weeks old, and by the time the baby is eight or nine months old, I'm pregnant again. Then my milk supply goes down, and I have to begin supplementing the baby's diet with rice cereal and other forms of nutrition
So, is this the same as weaning purposely to get pregnant again?

I'm confused. I have seen her so many times accused of weaning in order to get pregnant, but the quote above seems to say that she gets pregnant and *then* has to wean because her supply goes down (it doesn't even say she weans fully, jsut that she has to start supplementing). Two very diffrerent situations.

And honestly, if it was painful with the first 14 children, then I think she should get major points for nursing at all, and certainly up to and beyond 9 months. It's not like she's nursing 2 weeks and then saying "Oh, I want another baby, better get this one on formula!".
#90 of 362 Old 03-05-2009, 01:08 PM

Quote:
So, is this the same as weaning purposely to get pregnant again?

I'm confused. I have seen her so many times accused of weaning in order to get pregnant, but the quote above seems to say that she gets pregnant and *then* has to wean because her supply goes down (it doesn't even say she weans fully, jsut that she has to start supplementing). Two very diffrerent situations.

And honestly, if it was painful with the first 14 children, then I think she should get major points for nursing at all, and certainly up to and beyond 9 months. It's not like she's nursing 2 weeks and then saying "Oh, I want another baby, better get this one on formula!".

I have the same situation with Michelle in regards to when AF returns after birth except I got pregnant with my third when DD2 was 4 months and by the time she was 6 months my milk was MIA. I know there are women who can BF while preggers but not all women can sadly.

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page