The Duggars are coming! The Duggars are coming! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 362 Old 02-10-2009, 02:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
OK, mamas, we're going to try this one last time. Here's the poop (apologies if it's a repeat from the J&K thread):
This is the television forum. The purpose of the television forum is to discuss 18, 19, 20, Whatever Kids and Counting, the television show.

All posts must both adhere to the forum's purpose (see above) and the User Agreement, specifically
Quote:
Do not post in a disrespectful, defamatory, adversarial, baiting, harassing, offensive, insultingly sarcastic or otherwise improper manner, toward a member or other individual, including casting of suspicion upon a person, invasion of privacy, humiliation, demeaning criticism, name-calling, personal attack, or in any way which violates the law.
Defamatory = purposely harmful and/or untrue with the intention to malign. MDC is no longer hosting celebrity gossip, which should cover most of it, but we will also not host speculation of a harmful nature, including allegations of abuse or armchair mental health diagnoses. This is also covered under "casting suspicion". If you can't prove it with a reliable source, don't post it as fact.

Baiting = trying to make end runs around the User Agreement and hinting that members posting to this thread on either "side" are somehow morally deficient. It will not be tolerated, and is not the purpose of this forum. Discuss the show, not the members who discuss the show.

Offensive/disrespectful: You can discuss your thoughts on their religious beliefs as they pertain to the show. But please, mind your language. We don't host any form of religious bigotry on MDC. Don't use words that would offend you if someone turned them around and used them to describe your own beliefs. Certainly, words like "cult" are NEVER appropriate when describing someone's religious beliefs.

Invasion of Privacy = tell-all blogs, aerial shots of private properties, etc.

Personal attack and namecalling: To clarify, you may state how you feel or how something makes you feel. You may feel certain actions are selfish, careless, or mean. You may not call someone selfish, careless, or mean.

This isn't the place to debate religion, family planning/fertility, discipline techniques, etc. If you want to have an extended conversation on those topics, please start a thread in the proper forum.

This thread will be opened tonight and will be actively moderated. The plan is to start a new thread each month. Posts that violate these guidelines will be removed and alerted. Jim-Bob and Michelle and their brood are certainly not core to MDC's purpose, and if these guidelines can't be adhered to, the thread will be removed.

As always, feel free to PM me with any questions or concerns.

Signed,
Modzilla

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#2 of 362 Old 02-10-2009, 11:10 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is this open?? It's open!! Woo hoo!!

You know for living in a home with no TV, I sure do manage to watch a lot of it...
#3 of 362 Old 02-13-2009, 08:09 PM

subbing

Mama to Belly(5), homesteading in the desert with our chickens and sheep. Fish nerd, really into my reef tank. Baby due Sep 3rd!

#4 of 362 Old 02-14-2009, 01:26 AM

Okay, so what epis have I seen this season? The San Fran trip and the Christmas parade.

Can I just say that their bus is BIG! I think it may be bigger than my house.

Proud Catholic, homeschooling, RN-student mama of
DS 10 reading.gif  DS 8 fencing.gif DS 5, DD 3 energy.gif and a new DS  belly.gif 3/2011
#5 of 362 Old 02-14-2009, 01:48 AM

Subbing, we don't get DHC anymore so I can't watch the show.

~ Colleen ~ Joyful Unschooling Pagan mama to hearts.gifenergy.gifsuperhero.gifjog.gif and babyf.gif
"When I'm sad, I stop being sad and be AWESOME instead."
#6 of 362 Old 02-14-2009, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collinsky View Post
Subbing, we don't get DHC anymore so I can't watch the show.
Do you get TLC?

malesling.GIFMutant Papa to DD (12)hippie.gif and DS (2)babyf.gif, married to DHribbonrainbow.gif
If it looks like I'm trying to pick a fight... I'm not, I'm rarely that obvious.hammer.gif
#7 of 362 Old 02-14-2009, 03:57 AM

Have they showed the birth episode yet? If so, I totally missed it. We've seen almost all the new ones of this year so far. I liked the diamond digging one. :

Mom to Dakota (6), Coy, (4), Max, (4), Lily (4), and Auri (June 19th 2010)!
Visit Lily's site at www.caringbridge.org/visit/lilymathis1
#8 of 362 Old 02-14-2009, 04:14 AM

They showed the birth episode on the 24th of december I believe.

malesling.GIFMutant Papa to DD (12)hippie.gif and DS (2)babyf.gif, married to DHribbonrainbow.gif
If it looks like I'm trying to pick a fight... I'm not, I'm rarely that obvious.hammer.gif
#9 of 362 Old 02-14-2009, 02:48 PM

I think the birth episode was a "special", and was not listed as 17 kids and counting. I had to set my DVR for it specifically, it wasn't automatically recorded like the other shows are for me.

The SF episode cracked me up. I had to save it to show DH. Between Jim Bob's hairspray and them going to a head shop, it was pretty funny.
#10 of 362 Old 02-15-2009, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicianDad View Post
Do you get TLC?
Nope, we got rid of our cable. Hmmm... can I see the eps online?

~ Colleen ~ Joyful Unschooling Pagan mama to hearts.gifenergy.gifsuperhero.gifjog.gif and babyf.gif
"When I'm sad, I stop being sad and be AWESOME instead."
#11 of 362 Old 02-15-2009, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuits & Gravy View Post
I think the birth episode was a "special", and was not listed as 17 kids and counting. I had to set my DVR for it specifically, it wasn't automatically recorded like the other shows are for me.

The SF episode cracked me up. I had to save it to show DH. Between Jim Bob's hairspray and them going to a head shop, it was pretty funny.
Yeah, and when the cameraman asked Michelle to tell him more about the head shop they visited and she was like "the what we visited??"
#12 of 362 Old 02-15-2009, 04:56 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I just watched the episode where Josh married Anna. It was sweet. The modest dresses for the bride and bridesmaids were pretty. I especially liked the bridesmaid dresses.

Normal is just a setting on your dryer.
#13 of 362 Old 02-15-2009, 05:00 PM

I have to say I love this program. I'm sad that I missed the birth though!! I almost missed the wedding. New episodes on Tuesday!

Although I don't agree with everything they say or do, I appreciate how their children are absolutely central in their life. I think that is very admirable.

><> I'm a Christian, knitting, sewing, cooking SAHM to the fearless adventurer Jack born 11/08, and  a  USCG wife
And we are joyfully awaiting a new addition in April 2011! <><
#14 of 362 Old 02-16-2009, 01:03 AM

The only episode I've ever seen of this show was the birth episode, and I have to say I was disappointed. They did attend a Bradley class (shoot... with all those kids they could probably TEACH CBE in their sleep!) but the birth itself was pretty interventive (If I remember correctly). I remember being surprised that it got so medical so quickly.

I figured that if anyone could portray birth as a natural, non-scary, normal event it would be the woman with 18 kids, but nope.

Sleepy mama to Colin Theodore 8-12-08 and Trevor Arthur 7-17-12.

#15 of 362 Old 02-16-2009, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belia View Post
The only episode I've ever seen of this show was the birth episode, and I have to say I was disappointed. They did attend a Bradley class (shoot... with all those kids they could probably TEACH CBE in their sleep!) but the birth itself was pretty interventive (If I remember correctly). I remember being surprised that it got so medical so quickly.

I figured that if anyone could portray birth as a natural, non-scary, normal event it would be the woman with 18 kids, but nope.
It was out of her hands though. The baby was sideways and as one MDC mama's siggy says (paraphrasing) babies don't come out sideways no matter how hard you push.

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif
#16 of 362 Old 02-16-2009, 01:13 PM

I finally saw the wedding episode. I thought it was really down to earth and homey instead of being over the top. I can't stand over the top weddings when it feels like it's more about the wedding than the marriage if that makes sense. It was really cute.

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif
#17 of 362 Old 02-16-2009, 05:59 PM

Yeah. Not sure how anyone (even TLC) could be faulted for a medicalized birth when the baby is sideways.

I think Michelle has had the majority of her kids naturally, and several VBAC's. Given the birth culture and the statistics, I think she deserves kudos.

Just bad luck that that particular baby decided to get ornery on them.
#18 of 362 Old 02-16-2009, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookGoddess View Post
I just watched the episode where Josh married Anna. It was sweet. The modest dresses for the bride and bridesmaids were pretty. I especially liked the bridesmaid dresses.
I agree! I loved Anna's dress, and the BM dresses were very pretty. I thought it was so sweet that her sister had purchased the BM dress for her own wedding some day but let Anna use it because she loved it too.
#19 of 362 Old 02-16-2009, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdymom View Post
Although I don't agree with everything they say or do, I appreciate how their children are absolutely central in their life. I think that is very admirable.
Completely ditto here!!! Michelle is so inspiring to me!

Kelly,newly single mom of four wonderful children.

#20 of 362 Old 02-17-2009, 03:07 PM

So what was the sex of baby 18? I missed the show.
#21 of 362 Old 02-17-2009, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magstphil View Post
I finally saw the wedding episode. I thought it was really down to earth and homey instead of being over the top. I can't stand over the top weddings when it feels like it's more about the wedding than the marriage if that makes sense. It was really cute.
I agree! It could have looked over the top easily with that many bridesmaids--but the way they did it was very down to earth. I don't like over the top weddings either. The important part is the marriage, not the wedding--imo.

I thought that Jimbob's talk with Josh about how he should listen to his wife each day because her telling him things was important to her and that is how women operate---was wonderful. I personally agree with that, although I might not of in the past. And then just giving him the "sex talk" and book--all necessary for a happy marriage.

They are very different from our family, but I think they are really something special.
#22 of 362 Old 02-17-2009, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyactsofcharity View Post
You know for living in a home with no TV, I sure do manage to watch a lot of it...
Umm. Yeah :

Me too!

Although to be fair I don't watch the shows online or anything. I just have seen them enough in the past that I can read these threads and get that brief surreal escape from my insanity LOLOL

Every now and then I'll cave and go watch the youtube of something really over the edge, but mostly I'm content to just gawk here at the likes of all y'all!!!

GOOD moms let their kids lick the beaters. GREAT moms turn off the mixer first!
Humanist Woman Wife , & Friend Plus Mama to 6 (3 mos, 2, 9, 13, 17, 20)
#23 of 362 Old 02-17-2009, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamax3 View Post
So what was the sex of baby 18? I missed the show.
little girl

SAHMhomeschool.gif: to LCjog.gif (6-08) GJsuperhero.gif (3-06) KDREPlaySkateboard04HL.gif (3-04) and a new little on one the way1sttri.gif: and :megan, henrie, and apple and wife to BD for 12years now!!
#24 of 362 Old 02-17-2009, 11:21 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I watched their trip to Salvador, it really really got to me. Seeing the poverty and hearing the kids describe it as only kids can really moved me. The mom who had lost four kids and wanted them to pray for her baby was just heartbreaking. What she must go through daily.

Mommy to THREE sweet boys & ONE sweet girl + a newb due in February!  I need a nap. 
#25 of 362 Old 02-18-2009, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuits & Gravy View Post
Wasn't it maybe 18 kids and counting or something? For some reason I think it was a different name too but I'm not sure. I'm sure they'll repeat it for all of you who didn't get to see it. Check TLC and Discovery Health as well because they both show them. I know the wedding one was under a different name. I haven't watched this weeks yet but I'm so happy to have regular episodes again. :

Madalyn military wife to Chris & proud momma to Jonas 5/17/09
#26 of 362 Old 02-18-2009, 10:16 AM

Quote:
I don't watch the shows online or anything.
Can you?

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#27 of 362 Old 02-19-2009, 02:45 PM

I had mixed feelings about the Mission trip show.

I definitely think it's good to expose kids (and adults) to the fact that most of the world does not live any where near with the wealth most Americans do. But I got a sort of exploitative feel from the whole show... I felt sorry for the El Salvadorans in the show. (Not just in a "they are needy" sort of a way... but let's put them on display on American TV type thing.) Maybe it was just the fact that there was something about the head of the missions guy that just gave me the creeps. No idea.

I did like the fact that all of the kids bought the Christmas gifts with their own money.

Mom to DS(8), DS(6), DD(4), and DS(1).  "Kids do as well as they can."

#28 of 362 Old 02-19-2009, 04:00 PM

I watched the El Salvador trip and in one preview they touched on the adoption issue but then there was a comment made that the El Salvador people in general don't want the children going to North America? Did anyone catch that? It was said as part of a coming up next preview but then as they talked about adoption and how long it takes nothing was ever said.
#29 of 362 Old 02-20-2009, 12:13 AM

I think to adopt from El Salvador you have to have lived in the country for 1 year....
#30 of 362 Old 02-20-2009, 07:11 PM

Interesting interview with the Duggar's about the "octomom" (am I the only one who doesn't really like that term??)

http://www.cnn.com/2009/SHOWBIZ/TV/0...nda/index.html

I think the Duggar's were very sweet and gracious, as always. : It read like Joy Behar was really, really trying hard to get them to say something snarky or stupid. :

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page