The Gosselins come MARCHing along... - Page 5 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#121 of 365 Old 03-13-2009, 02:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey's mom View Post
I guess I just don't get why it would be necessary to "prove" that point. Of course 9 people is a lot to cram in most waiting rooms--especially little kids. But to show the sequence like, walking in the the door, being in the waiting room, and moving into the conference room with big discrepencies like, dog here...poof....dog gone, is just so weird to me. Same with the whole swingset last week. It's just strange.
I totally agree. I dont know why they show things the way they do. Dont they know there is a whole blog that examines every move they make

I am bummed because I deleted all my eppys before I checked out the swingset goof.
#122 of 365 Old 03-13-2009, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cutiekitties View Post
Dont they know there is a whole blog that examines every move they make
Whew, I'm sure they know and don't care! I know I wouldn't. Can you imagine trying to make everyone happy? It's impossible! With that crowd, they are *screwed* either way.

On the swingset thing... I noticed it when I watched also, and just thought to myself that I'm sure they had a crew of some sort who actually did the job. Or that Jon got started into it and thought, uh, forget this! He talked about how difficult it was and how they probably should have left it. I guess I don't see why this example in particular makes them "liars". Did they say on the show that Jon did it ALL himself, or did they even say that they got the ENTIRE thing moved that day?

I agree with a pp as well, who said that maybe they just needed to get that goodbye shot before it got too dark. Or maybe they really were leaving and just had "people" who were going to take care of the rest for them. Or maybe Jon went back the next day and did it all, but it was a non-filming day? You know, those cameras are not there *nearly* as often as some would like to think. Think about all the different things they do in life that we don't ever see. I don't think the show was meant to be picked apart and pieced together, and every single word and moment analyzed to see if they are telling the "truth". ...It's entertainment, folks!
#123 of 365 Old 03-13-2009, 02:55 PM

I don't think the swingset thing makes them "liars," but it does strike me as strange when I'm watching the episode.

It just raises a red flag for me when it is repeatedly said that the show is real and the cameras are just following these folks along living their normal lives. Staging stuff so you can "get shots" doesn't fit that bill. And I think if they are doing that and having the kids do things like, "say goodbye for the last time, we're never coming back," and that's not really true, I have a huge problem with that.
#124 of 365 Old 03-13-2009, 03:05 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenelle View Post
Whew, I'm sure they know and don't care! I know I wouldn't. Can you imagine trying to make everyone happy? It's impossible! With that crowd, they are *screwed* either way.

On the swingset thing... I noticed it when I watched also, and just thought to myself that I'm sure they had a crew of some sort who actually did the job. Or that Jon got started into it and thought, uh, forget this! He talked about how difficult it was and how they probably should have left it. I guess I don't see why this example in particular makes them "liars". Did they say on the show that Jon did it ALL himself, or did they even say that they got the ENTIRE thing moved that day?

I agree with a pp as well, who said that maybe they just needed to get that goodbye shot before it got too dark. Or maybe they really were leaving and just had "people" who were going to take care of the rest for them. Or maybe Jon went back the next day and did it all, but it was a non-filming day? You know, those cameras are not there *nearly* as often as some would like to think. Think about all the different things they do in life that we don't ever see. I don't think the show was meant to be picked apart and pieced together, and every single word and moment analyzed to see if they are telling the "truth". ...It's entertainment, folks!
I totally agree on the swingset thing. The cameras probably wanted to catch the "goodbye" so they set it up on a filming day.

treehugger.gifearth.gifribbonwhite.gif Anne (31), single WOHM to Karen (5)ribbonyellow.gifshamrocksmile.giffambedsingle1.gifjoy.gif
#125 of 365 Old 03-13-2009, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Just a reminder-- we're not discussing tell-all blogs and the like on this thread, named or not.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#126 of 365 Old 03-15-2009, 10:40 PM

Anyone catch any 'special day' episodes today? How cute was Joel at Hands on house? (He kept asking, 'what's this?' 'whats that?') We have a childrens museum where I live and I LOVED taking my neice and I can't wait to bring this little one! It's like a big make-believe world.

Newly Single-Mama. Raising homebirth baby, Josephine, July '09.

#127 of 365 Old 03-15-2009, 10:50 PM

I caught a few minutes of the marathon today. It made me really sad. They seemed sooo much happier and into the kids in the old episodes. Even the one where Kate is hiring the cleaning people, she was totally on the floor with the kids. It seemed like a different mom. I hope they aren't as unhappy or curt now as they appear on the show.

It was fun to see the kids so little. I love looking back at kids and seeing how they always kind of look like themselves....even as little babies or toddlers. Joel looked the most different, I thought. Hannah looked like a little roly-poly who wanted me to poke her belly and blow raspberries on it.
#128 of 365 Old 03-15-2009, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Hannah looked like a little roly-poly who wanted me to poke her belly and blow raspberries on it.
I wonder if anyone ever did Ds is almost 5 and I still do reaspberries on his belly he loves it

Glenn bouncy.gif 11*09 Joe 4*04 peace.gif Me praying.gif & Hubby geek.gif

Quote:

#129 of 365 Old 03-16-2009, 12:32 AM

I just started watching recently. I love the one on one episodes with each kid. I don't like the way Kate talks to her husband sometimes, it seems condescending to me.
I like this show though, it's good brain candy. LOL

Mom to three boys 7/7/00 fencing.gif 11/20/02 and 10/29/2011 luxlove.gif

Writing at: http://paisleymama.blogspot.com/ and other places! 

#130 of 365 Old 03-16-2009, 09:59 AM

I love the Bounce U place they took Leah to. We are taking my dd to Sesame Place this summer and I am going to try and find out where that place is so we can take her there too, we are also going to the Philly Zoo so my boys can go on the hot air balloon. Looks like there are tons of cool things to do in PA!

We may not have it all together, but together we have it all
#131 of 365 Old 03-16-2009, 11:29 AM

I caught about 10 minutes of their very first, original one hour "special". I had seen it before, of course, but it was interesting to look back. What stood out to me most was how dark Kate's hair was. And then I changed the channel so my son could watch "Mouse Hunt", because I just really didn't have any desire to watch the rest of it.
#132 of 365 Old 03-16-2009, 11:49 AM

Jenelle I have noticed that the blonder her hair gets the snottier and more testy she is....perhaps it's the chemicals? :

#133 of 365 Old 03-16-2009, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBug View Post
Jenelle I have noticed that the blonder her hair gets the snottier and more testy she is....perhaps it's the chemicals? :

Mama to my own amazing children..student midwife..home birth activist..and gestational surrogate-twin boys weighing 7lbs3oz & 8lbs4oz...vaginal, unmedicated forced induction @ 38w5d
#134 of 365 Old 03-16-2009, 04:27 PM

See now the funny part is SHE sees it as improvement of her looks and I see it as a deterioration of her character. In my opinion she really needs to take a closer look at what her priorities are.

#135 of 365 Old 03-17-2009, 12:34 AM

I don't think that's fair. John and Kate were both absolutely beautiful when they were younger (and she was a pastel blonde). They were the loviest, cutest (if not particularly bright or mature) young couple, and Kate was obviously smitten with John and excited about 'playing grown-up.' When you see her a bit dowdy and washed-out in those ols specials, it's because she'd had a litter of PEOPLE for goodness sake! And it's not like she was dumping bleach on her hair while gestating her organic, grass-fed babies

I think the narcissism was always there, and the unconditional fawning just feeds it.
#136 of 365 Old 03-17-2009, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBug View Post
See now the funny part is SHE sees it as improvement of her looks and I see it as a deterioration of her character. In my opinion she really needs to take a closer look at what her priorities are.
I agree. Looking good doesn't make you a good person on the inside. Kate used to be such a genuinely nice person in the beginning or at least she "seemed" to be anyway. Maybe she was faking it then. She seems more real now (being fake anyway).

I watched a few of the marathon shows the other day as well. One thing I have noticed lately is that Leah is rarely ever mentioned by Jon & Kate. I wonder why that is? They talk a lot about the boys, and Hannah and Alexis but rarely Leah. Same thing with Cara. How sad.

And ughh the episodes where they had one-on-one with each child doing special activities really ticks me off : but only because Kate didn't feel the need to go on the outings with the boys. I know she probably used the excuse that she could stay with the girls so they didn't have to use Aunt Jodi for those outings, but I know it's because Kate simply has little regard for the "males" in her home. It's obvious by the way she talks down about the boys and their blank faces and oblivious attitudes and how she treats Jon. I feel so sorry for their boys.

Saw some of the show last night of Jon and Cara skiing. Funny how he kept saying it was father/daughter time. gag! Isn't this the time that he sent Cara back home early and stay behind for the rest of the ski trip? Jon seems so immature and irresponsible.

Single (divorced), self-employed working, college student MOM to:

17 yr old

11 yr old 

4 yr old

#137 of 365 Old 03-17-2009, 11:45 AM

Hi! I've only lurked here before, but after last night, I have to ask: Did anyone see the "next week" preview? What does that mean? Something like "it's all come down to this"...and shots of J & K arguing? I guess they're trying to use rumors to hype the season finale?

Brackin, mom to DD (10/02), DS (5/06) and DS (12/09) jumpers.gif
#138 of 365 Old 03-17-2009, 12:12 PM

Yeah, I have to say the preview was really disturbing to me.

Yes, we all know that there's the Reality Show Curse:
http://www.forbes.com/2007/04/11/rea...hisSpeed=30000

And Jon and Kate were just quoted in People saying that they are going through some marital trouble (and what really gets me is that they say it's a result of being in the spotlight.....but you know, it's PERFECT for the kids...no issues for them ), but to play on that for ratings when there is a real family with real kids involved? I just think that's sick.

I feel fairly certain that this will be much like the BIG reaction a few months ago, where it was just that Jon asked, "How can I help?" Whoooopppeeee. At least I hope so. I can't imagine we're going to have some couch marriage therapy on the show. But I think "teasing" with that is really, really low.

I can't understand why these people don't just pull the plug already and get their family together. All the money and fame and contract obligations would pale so hard in the face of my family falling apart.

As for the rest of the episode? Dude, it is so the Truman show. I feel like those kids are the cute props in one big long infomercial.

Last night I looked at my husband when they were all getting their pictures taking with the Sesame characters and my heart just melted for them, and I said, "Those kids deserve so much better than this." They seem like really great kids. Truly. I feel like their parents and their network are not doing the right thing by them. I dunno....I hope it works out for them. I feel like I'll always want to follow their story b/c they've really worked their way into my heart. Sweet little monkeys.
#139 of 365 Old 03-17-2009, 02:50 PM

I watched the show with my dh last night (well, forced him to watch ). We were talking about the changes from the beginning until now.

It's like it used to be, "hey, look at these normal people with 8 kids. That could be me. Wow, she's so organized." And somehow it has morphed into, "wow, look at how the 'other half' lives." Stuff like meeting the characters at Sesame Live. Or tubing down an empty mountain after hours. Things that regular people aren't really doing, eight kids or not.

Don't get me wrong. I'm still watching it. In a train wreck fashion. But, they aren't the same people that they started the show as.
#140 of 365 Old 03-17-2009, 04:23 PM

I was watching the old episodes this weekend too.

I think Kate looked better back then. She is thinner now, but she just doesn't look like herself anymore.

I was bored by this episode. The Jon and Cara trip was not interesting to me. :yawning:

We still watch too. But it's not like it was in the early years.
#141 of 365 Old 03-17-2009, 05:19 PM

Quote:
And Jon and Kate were just quoted in People saying that they are going through some marital trouble (and what really gets me is that they say it's a result of being in the spotlight.....but you know, it's PERFECT for the kids...no issues for them ), but to play on that for ratings when there is a real family with real kids involved? I just think that's sick.

I can't understand why these people don't just pull the plug already and get their family together. All the money and fame and contract obligations would pale so hard in the face of my family falling apart.

Amen, sister! They need to reprioritize. Sure some people would miss their show, we would miss our thread, they would miss their money, but the kids at some point need to have a camera-free home and life. Cut back to specials or something at least! Because in the end its really going to take a toll. It already has.

~Shannon~ Proud Mama of 3 girls, ages 7,4, and 2.
#142 of 365 Old 03-17-2009, 07:33 PM

I have to say the one thing I did like about last nights show is that they didn't show Maddy getting her braces on....Kate finally made a decision thinking about the kids.

I had no problem with Jon and Cara going to do something they love, but it was a dead give away to how much money these ppl have. First there was no thanks to the resort in the credits, I looked for the first time, which means they probably paid for that themselves. They live in PA by the Poconos where there is skiing. WHY did they have to go cross the country to do this, they could have had a weekend or a day trip. The level of look how we live now is starting to really rub me the wrong way. I did like how he told her he loved her at the end....too bad we don't see more of that....

#143 of 365 Old 03-17-2009, 10:36 PM

I thought it was sweet that Cara missed her mom and siblings so much on the trip. She has a very soft heart!

I felt annoyed that Jon was so lax about making sure Nala took it easy. I wonder if he even tried crating her? I'm sure it's hard to make a puppy take it easy but it doesn't seem like he even tried.

Gazing furtively at you from under my siggie!
#144 of 365 Old 03-17-2009, 10:59 PM

Anybody see the new commercial for the finale? I'm guessing it's about their marital issues unless it's something about them being undecided about continuing filming (or maybe a combo of both). I'm wondering if they just went back and edited it in. Seems too convenient that it would air 2 weeks after those tabloid stories come out.

Madalyn military wife to Chris & proud momma to Jonas 5/17/09
#145 of 365 Old 03-17-2009, 11:28 PM

Subbing. i hope that they arent using marital issues as a tease to grow more watchers.

Loving mom to 2energy.gif ,1jammin.gif , & 1dog2.gif . Surrodaughter 4/09
#146 of 365 Old 03-18-2009, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetsyS View Post
I'm still watching it. In a train wreck fashion.
I've seen people say this before and I have to ask, what exactly does this mean? I find it very interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by savannah smiles View Post
I thought it was sweet that Cara missed her mom and siblings so much on the trip. She has a very soft heart!
Oh I know! And god forbid Cara misses her mommy! Ya know, her terrible mommy that treats her terribly!

And I agree with a pp. This episode was a little boring. You can tell something is going on between J&K while they were on the couch. I hope things turn out okay. I think they will.
#147 of 365 Old 03-18-2009, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco_mama View Post
I've seen people say this before and I have to ask, what exactly does this mean? I find it very interesting.
From Wiki...Train wreck as a metaphor:
Quote:
The term "train wreck" is also used metaphorically to describe something disastrous yet inevitable, or distasteful yet morbidly fascinating. "You don't want to stare, but you just can't look away" is a common summary of this phenomenon (this definition is used by "Weird Al" Yankovic in his song Jerry Springer).
I think the preview for next week was a 100% play to this phenomenon..."It's all been leading up to this..." And then lots of unpleasant scenes of Jon and Kate fighting. Like, this is it: the week that the "wreck" actually happens. It's compelling. Whether or not it actually happens remains to be seen, obviously. The fact that it's being used as a marketing tool and that the family and network have allowed a family with small children to be "branded" as a train wreck disturbs me a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco_mama View Post
Oh I know! And god forbid Cara misses her mommy! Ya know, her terrible mommy that treats her terribly!
Well, like Kate said recently, kids' normals are just what they know.

Mother Theresa could return from the dead and sit in my living room and proclaim that Kate Gosselin doesn't treat her children terribly, and it still wouldn't change my perception that a mother screaming at, naming calling, and belittling her children is treating them terribly. Defending it and blaming the children or husband for it, makes it all the worse in my eyes. :
#148 of 365 Old 03-18-2009, 03:06 PM

I was very very board with this eppi I felt terrible for Cara and I also was confused that Jon said he wasn't sure if he should allow her to call her Mom????!!!! really why would you have to think twice about something like that??????? when my Ds wants to call my grandmother I donot sit and ponder it I say okay lets call her and that isn't even a parent!!!

Glenn bouncy.gif 11*09 Joe 4*04 peace.gif Me praying.gif & Hubby geek.gif

Quote:

#149 of 365 Old 03-18-2009, 04:03 PM

Quote:

Well, like Kate said recently, kids' normals are just what they know.

Mother Theresa could return from the dead and sit in my living room and proclaim that Kate Gosselin doesn't treat her children terribly, and it still wouldn't change my perception that a mother screaming at, naming calling, and belittling her children is treating them terribly. Defending it and blaming the children or husband for it, makes it all the worse in my eyes. :

Amen! This is exactly what I feel about that...

#150 of 365 Old 03-18-2009, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madalyn View Post
Anybody see the new commercial for the finale? I'm guessing it's about their marital issues unless it's something about them being undecided about continuing filming (or maybe a combo of both). I'm wondering if they just went back and edited it in. Seems too convenient that it would air 2 weeks after those tabloid stories come out.
It has my curiosity up as well. But why on earth would they air their dirty laundry on t.v.? That part wouldn't make sense if it is true that it's "relationship" problems, considering they are supposed to be Christians. I would think they'd just quietly end the show and deal with their personal life - personally. Plus, it's not like the whole universe didn't see it coming. Sorry, just had to say that.

Single (divorced), self-employed working, college student MOM to:

17 yr old

11 yr old 

4 yr old

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page