TLC's "I didn't even know I was pregnant" - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 30 Old 04-07-2009, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Did anyone else watch this over the weekend? I recorded it and my DH and I watched it last night. Let me just say wow. I can't even imagine.

Proud *single* mom to 3 amazing kiddos
#2 of 30 Old 04-07-2009, 01:05 PM

Moved to Television.

Being right is not always fair, but being fair is always right
#3 of 30 Old 04-07-2009, 01:15 PM

I watched part of it. Crazy stuff!! I could never imagine not knowing I was pregnant. In fact, both times I knew before I even "found out" officially. I just had a nagging feeling, ya know? Plus I'm pretty tiny normally so I tend to gain a bunch of weight and look like a toothpick that swallowed a grape, lol. What struck me as very strange was that each one of those women reported having their normal menstrual cycles each month during their pregnancy. I noticed that was the case with every other "I didn't know I was pregnant" story I've heard too-even the ones on the news. I think if there is some kind of medical phenomenon that allows this to happen? My mom had a two hour period when she was pregnant with my brother, and I bled so much in the early months with my second baby that I thought I was having a miscarriage.

Bethany, crunchy Christian mom to Destiny (11) Deanna (9), and Ethan (2)

#4 of 30 Old 04-07-2009, 01:20 PM

I didn't see it, but I can imagine that I could be fooled if I had regular periods during the pregnancy. I'd be pretty upset about my waist line though. I don't usually gain a huge amount of weight (I'm overweight already), but it does redistribute.
#5 of 30 Old 04-07-2009, 01:27 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The thing that gets me, is that eventually you FEEL baby. How do you not know when you are being kicked in the ribs????
#6 of 30 Old 04-07-2009, 01:30 PM

The one thing I did like is all of the births I saw birthed standing/squatting.

hh2.gif

#7 of 30 Old 04-07-2009, 01:36 PM

I watched part of it and wow! 2 of the babies were born in the toilet (likely on top of poop) I cannot imagine what it must be like to not know you are pregnant and then be presented with a baby you have not planned for at all. Crazy! I hated how after each story the narrator talked about how risky and dangerous it was to have a baby at home and not to have prenatal care, etc. Every single time they talked about how lucky the baby was to be alive, etc. Yeah one baby was born premature to a mama with GBS and she was lucky to survive but many of the other stories were just healthy full term babies from mamas who did not drink, smoke, or take meds despite not knowing they were preg.

Zen doula-mama to my spirited DS1 (2/03), my CHD (TAPVR) warrior DS2 (6/07) & a gentle baby girl (8/09)
#8 of 30 Old 04-07-2009, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelika13 View Post
The thing that gets me, is that eventually you FEEL baby. How do you not know when you are being kicked in the ribs????
I caught bits and pieces of the show. One woman said that she never felt her baby move at all, and nobody knows why.

I had a friend who didn't realize she was pregnant until her water broke.

- Born 7/21/09
#9 of 30 Old 04-07-2009, 01:46 PM

Quote:
I had a friend in college, she knew she was pregnant got a big belly, however she never felt the baby move. She got really concerned and got a few ultrasounds and the baby moved fine. In the begining of her 8th month she had a plate on her belly and it moved and it was the first time she connected how she felt the baby move to fetal movement. Pretty strange it is hard for me to imagine as I always feel mine early but I am tuned in possibly in a different way.

I also thought it was interesting that some who had children previously could have such a different pregnancy later.

I really think alot of it is mental ( not crazy) like if you aren't expecting it you can totally explain the symptoms away. I noticed alot were told, incorrectly, they could never conceive. To me that would explain alot of why they weren't tuned into their bodies.
#10 of 30 Old 04-07-2009, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jilian View Post
I hated how after each story the narrator talked about how risky and dangerous it was to have a baby at home and not to have prenatal care, etc. Every single time they talked about how lucky the baby was to be alive, etc. Yeah one baby was born premature to a mama with GBS and she was lucky to survive but many of the other stories were just healthy full term babies from mamas who did not drink, smoke, or take meds despite not knowing they were preg.
I totally muted those parts for that very reason it was like some of the docs were hoping for a bad outcome to prove themselves right. It seemed even the premature babies did really well.
#11 of 30 Old 04-07-2009, 01:50 PM

Well, I'm not pregnant (pretty sure ) and I sometimes have gas that feels like early fetal movement or hiccups. It would have been hard to mistake my 1st but my boys were not as active. My 3rd has CP and he was a really quiet baby. The only movement I felt from him the last weeks were hiccups.
#12 of 30 Old 04-07-2009, 01:51 PM

Everyone I know keeps telling me about this show. I don't have cable so I haven't seen it myself, but I heard it's pretty crazy!

:yawning 33yo first-time solo mama to DD born 11/21/09
#13 of 30 Old 04-07-2009, 05:35 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
This happened to a former co-worker of mine, and it was the talk of the industry for months! She had been seeing someone who worked for her, and had successfully kept it secret . . . until she suddenly had a baby. She's a tall gal, maybe a size 12, so I guess she just didn't show. They wound up marrying and having another kid, so I guess all's well that ends well.

Nichole
wife to Sasha, mom to Marlena, nursed for 3.5 years, aunt to 3 adorable nephews
#14 of 30 Old 04-07-2009, 06:25 PM

I cannot even imagine this. I had a friend who had irregular periods all of her life and was told she could never get pregnant. She had been putting on some weight but she just thought it was because she was eating too much. One day, she saw what looked like a foot on her stomach, went to the doc and was 34 weeks preg. She had the baby 2 weeks later!! She was so overwhelmed with the 2 weeks warning but everything worked out ok.
#15 of 30 Old 04-07-2009, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Not all women get "kicked in the ribs" so to speak. Where the baby is being carried and the location of the placenta can affect how strongly you feel fetal movement.

The only thing that really got me was the woman who believe that having one ovary removed made her infertile. Unless she only started out with one, biology will strongly disagree with that.

malesling.GIFMutant Papa to DD (12)hippie.gif and DS (2)babyf.gif, married to DHribbonrainbow.gif
If it looks like I'm trying to pick a fight... I'm not, I'm rarely that obvious.hammer.gif
#16 of 30 Old 04-07-2009, 07:25 PM

I saw it and could not imagine not knowing. I was in awe.

: Mom to a wonderful teen girl, a happy little boy and a cute baby girl
#17 of 30 Old 04-07-2009, 07:29 PM

All I can say is I WISH I didn't notice my pregnancies. Each one has been a living hell.

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif
#18 of 30 Old 04-07-2009, 07:33 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
This was almost my sil. She found out she was pregnant when she felt the baby kicking, at about 5 months. Her first baby was only a couple of months old, she was nursing full time and didn't have her period back yet. She was pretty overweight, as well. We teased her about not cluing in until she felt movement, but really, it was entirely understandable. She was surprised but very happy to have baby #2, as they were going to have more anyway.

Someone moved my effing cheese.
#19 of 30 Old 04-07-2009, 07:45 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
I know a lady who barely felt her third baby move at all. Her fist two were completely normal and kicked a lot. But if all she had had to go on for her third was movement, she wouldn't have known, since the teeny tiny bit of movement she did feel could easily have been passed off as gas if she hadn't been anxiously looking for it - no kicking in the ribs at all. She and her doctor were very concerned about the lack of movement, and she had a ton of ultrasounds and stuff, but all the tests were okay and everything normal aside form lack of movement. Baby was fine when born.
#20 of 30 Old 04-07-2009, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicianDad View Post
The only thing that really got me was the woman who believe that having one ovary removed made her infertile. Unless she only started out with one, biology will strongly disagree with that.
My one intact ovary would agree!
#21 of 30 Old 04-08-2009, 08:05 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelpie545 View Post
I watched part of it. Crazy stuff!! I could never imagine not knowing I was pregnant. In fact, both times I knew before I even "found out" officially. I just had a nagging feeling, ya know?
I'm the same way. When pregnant I get that pokey baby belly. My belly definitely does not stay flat at all. Plus, I'd be suspicious of my period not coming since I have mine every 21 days like clockwork.

Proud *single* mom to 3 amazing kiddos
#22 of 30 Old 04-08-2009, 09:26 AM

I watched this show once and there was a lady who had TWINS and didn't know she was pregnant! One baby I can kinda understand, I didn't know I was pregnant with ds1 (18, irregular periods) and started to wonder what was going on when I felt him move, but twins? I find that one hard to believe, myself...

Elizabeth wife to Matt , mom to Logan (2/21/01) , and little man Desmond (9/23/08)

Mourning the loss of her father: Robert Edward Dillon 5/31/52 - 01/03/2011

#23 of 30 Old 04-08-2009, 12:04 PM

I caught part of the show and thought it was very interesting. I've always wondered HOW that can happen!

It seems that several of them had been told that they could not have children. I guess, if you are convinced you CAN'T be pregnant, your mind will find ways to explain they symptoms. The one lady said she knew somthing was not right, but even the doctors at the ER did not pick up on the fact that she was pregnant.
#24 of 30 Old 04-08-2009, 12:40 PM

The other thing that really bothered me was they saying "amazingly, she delivered without any medication" .. umm .. big deal? Up until 60 years or so ago, that was the norm. And many women today do it as well. I did and I know several other women who did as well.

The one case I saw the other day was the only one that actually made "sense" to me. She was over weight, so she wouldn't necessarily know. She had lost her job and was really depressed about that so she sat around a lot and ate a lot, so the weight gain seemed normal. Also, she was told she could never conceive and never had regular periods anyhow. She did say she felt the baby move but chalked it up to gas. They even joked by calling it her little alien. So that case seemed reasonable to me, credible.

I am curious about the weigh though. I have heard that sometimes over weight women don't feel as much movement because it's padded by the extra body weight. Is it possible there's any truth to that? Because that could certainly make these stories more credible. I did notice a majority of the women on that show are over weight so it makes me believe that statement more and more. Any thoughts?

Me with my baby girl Maeleigh (Oct 08) and My (step) baby girl Whren (May 05) in Heaven with her mommy .. And introducing our little JuneBug (June 10) We heard the !!!
#25 of 30 Old 04-08-2009, 01:09 PM

Well, I've been over 200 for all 3 kids. I felt #1 the most - she moved alot; she was a really high strung baby who met all her milestones early. #2 I felt less - he was breech for a long time and I think that was alot of it - I felt everything down below. He was a really calm, happy baby. #3 I felt the least - mostly all I felt was hiccups. He has CP, and I believe it originated in the womb.
#26 of 30 Old 04-08-2009, 01:46 PM

My SIL didn't feel her DD move at all. After a scary visit to the hospital due to perceived lack of movement, she found out she had an anterior placenta. They told her that she might not feel much but everything was okay.

Joy wife to DH, mom to DS1 (4/2005): DD (5/2007) : : DS2 (1/2009 :
I do what works and when it stops working, then I do something else.
#27 of 30 Old 04-08-2009, 09:09 PM

I watched a few of those shows in a row on Sunday night.

Quote:
I hated how after each story the narrator talked about how risky and dangerous it was to have a baby at home and not to have prenatal care, etc. Every single time they talked about how lucky the baby was to be alive, etc. Yeah one baby was born premature to a mama with GBS and she was lucky to survive but many of the other stories were just healthy full term babies from mamas who did not drink, smoke, or take meds despite not knowing they were preg.
Quote:
The other thing that really bothered me was they saying "amazingly, she delivered without any medication" .. umm .. big deal? Up until 60 years or so ago, that was the norm. And many women today do it as well. I did and I know several other women who did as well.
and the "get a shoe lace and cut the cord so the baby can breathe! HURRY!"

all drove me insane! But i still watched
#28 of 30 Old 04-09-2009, 02:35 AM

My sister and I watched this when it was on. The part where the narrator said "shockingly, she was able to give birth without any medication" or whatever, my sister (14 yo) snorted, rolled her eyes and said "Oh, yeah, because THAT is what is totally NOT NORMAL in this situation." I nearly peed myself Leave it to the teenagers to lay it out on the table!

Oh and the people screaming and crying in the bathroom because they had to tie the cord so the baby "could breathe" was weird as well. My sister asked me how long Søren was attached before they cut the cord and I told her that he nursed and cuddled for probably 15 minutes before they clamped. She said "isn't it hard to nurse if you can't breathe?" We both dissolved into another fit of giggles.

I had a friend in high school who came home drunk one night so her mother decided to check her in to a mental hospital (yeah, not ideal parenting strategy there but not the point) My friend had intake tests and was released the next day because her pee test was positive for pregnancy- she got an ultrasound and was 4.5 months pregnant and hadn't had a clue. Now, she has a 4 year old.

I just have no idea how one could not notice a pregnancy. I mean, I read the explanations and the rational part of my brain understands, but I still just can't fathom.
#29 of 30 Old 04-09-2009, 02:46 AM

I have never been able to understand how a woman could not know she was pregnant.
I do know one woman who "didn't know" until she was almost due. In her case she was so guilt ridden over having had sex outside of marriage and in general so disconnected with her body that she had convinced herself that she had stomach cancer. She went to her doctor about her "cancer" and found out she was pregnant. She ended up giving the little boy up for adoption, which was still haunting her years later when I met her. All-in-all it was a very sad situation.
#30 of 30 Old 04-09-2009, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caro113 View Post
I am curious about the weigh though. I have heard that sometimes over weight women don't feel as much movement because it's padded by the extra body weight. Is it possible there's any truth to that? Because that could certainly make these stories more credible. I did notice a majority of the women on that show are over weight so it makes me believe that statement more and more. Any thoughts?
See, my mom is big enough that its super hard for her to find clothes that firt, even in catalogs, and yet she feels the babes perfectly fine. shes a lot bigger than most people who are "overweight" that people say "shes fat, so it makes sense that she wouldnt feel the baby" because you know, fat on the outside makes it harder to feel the inside of your body.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyactsofcharity View Post
Oh and the people screaming and crying in the bathroom because they had to tie the cord so the baby "could breathe" was weird as well. My sister asked me how long Søren was attached before they cut the cord and I told her that he nursed and cuddled for probably 15 minutes before they clamped. She said "isn't it hard to nurse if you can't breathe?" We both dissolved into another fit of giggles.
I had a lotus birth with my third. she was attached to her placenta for 5 days, no clamping or cutting. Hmm... she looks alive enough to me!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page