Britains got talent - Susan Boyle - You have to see this! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

#31 of 50 Old 04-16-2009, 01:02 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm positive that it was all entirely staged for dramatic purposes and there's no way I would believe that that everyone involved w/production did not know beforehand that she was a great talent. I guess I never thought of her as being overweight, so I'm not sure about that part. I think she just looks like a person, not a plucked/airbrushed/siliconed/pressed/pumped/whatever characterature that seems so common on television.

I cringed when I heard the comments about her being such a surprise or that "everyone" was against her or laughing at her. Entertainment at any expense. However, she is extremely talented, IMO, and judging by the title of the series, I would hope she has an opportunity to fulfill her aspirations of doing what she loves to do.

I have retired from administration work, so if you have a question about anything MDC-related, please contact Cynthia Mosher. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 50 Old 04-16-2009, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viola View Post
OK, so I was specifically coming to MDC to discuss this, and I hope I don't offend anyone here, because it's not my intention to single anyone out. I had a friend on facebook a week or so ago link the Susan Boyle video, and then say "Never ever judge a book by its cover" and then I've seen the video linked numerous times, and I'm trying to figure out what it is that bothers me. What is it about the way she looks that make people think she's going to be untalented? Some of the most talented singers out there are not that good looking. Take Gary Lakes, for example. And many opera singers who have great voices do not fit the mold for mainstream models of beauty. I've been to various local venues and heard fantastic singers of varying degrees of attractiveness. Some of them have blown my socks off, they are so good. They don't have a career in it, however, and probably never will because they don't fit the mold.

What is it about her personality that makes it seem like she's going to be bad? I heard her described as awkward and unassuming, but she is articulate and confident in her interview. People might think her mannerisms are awkward, but if a thinner, younger, more attractive woman acted like that, people wouldn't have had an issue with it. They'd expect it. I find it frustrating, for some reason, and I'm not sure I can really put a finger on it, but I think in part its the way we judge people in general.

I'm sure most people don't think she's very attractive. She also appears to have a high BMI. I fit into this category, and when I refer to myself I say I'm fat old and ugly, because I'm not afraid to embrace those things, really. I mean we are who we are, right? Seeing her in the interview, I would figure she probably would sing pretty well. A lot of people can sing well. It's not like they are just undiscovered talent, it's that there are a lot of factors that have to come together for that talent to be a career. It would surprise me more if she were going on that show and *couldn't* actually perform well, ya' know?

I feel like so much of that is staged. On American Idol they do it all the time, they want to surprise people. So they'll show an attractive confident person who talks about their singing abilities, and then that person will be horrible. Then they'll follow it up with a pretty person that they try to paint as vapid or overconfident, and then it will turn out that person can sing well. They just wanted to trick the viewers for better television. Sometimes they do it the opposite way and show you a person who is unattractive and so weird you think they are going to have to be good, and sometimes they are and sometime they aren't. Woe to the ones that aren't, they are usually painted as mentally unbalanced, when half of them are just trying to get on TV. I guess that's what they were going for here, hoping she was just out of touch and overconfident of her abilities, but Susan Boyle seemed mostly normal and down to earth to me. The judges attitudes just seemed either really fake, or just really a sad commentary at how out of touch with the real world people in the entertainment may be.

I'm not really sure what I'm trying to get at here, but she is a valuable person, regardless of her singing talent. I've seen comments that say we should see her inner beauty and how it's expressed in her voice, or that God hides a His awesome wonders from us, and we need to have the eyes to see it. OK, but what if she hadn't been a very good singer? What if the old lady in Beauty and the Beast had just been a really old woman? What if the beast was just an ugly animal, not a beautiful prince. I don't know why this bothers me so much, but I think it's how we put worth on people. The diamond in the rough has to really be a diamond, and we have to look for that in people. But it seems like we are looking for the wrong thing if we expect everyone to have a gift that society deems valuable, and if some people don't, then we can just discount them.

OK, sorry to ramble on, just wanted to get that off my chest. The person who posts after me can respond and completely disregard my comments.

I thought she was pretty well spoken, if a bit nervous, in her interview. Much better than most. I also thought she was cute and endearing immediately. I dunno, I think this "book by it's cover" stuff is odd because I really don't think the cover says much in a show like this- I had mono when the original America's Got Talent aired so I got stuck watching the whole thing with my mother and I saw some cute kids that were awful and some unassuming, unspectacular-looking people that were phenomenal. I think that people are caught up in the hype of her being "disregarded" by the audience that was being prompted to act the way they did.

Her rendition was beautiful though, and the song she chose was fitting to her life circumstance judging from the interview she gave. She really has potential for the stage in my opinion.
#33 of 50 Old 04-16-2009, 11:42 AM

I know what you mean, Viola. DH and I have been talking about most of those points. I didn't talk to him about one of those points yet, though, but I had been thinking about it (just not articulated) - what if she DIDN'T have a gorgeous voice? Would she have been an unworthy human being then?

Most of us are not very gorgeous or talented, and I would hope that our worth as a human being doesn't hinge upon some totally "surprise" hidden attribute. We may not all be extraordinary but special nonetheless.

Homeschooling mama to 6 year old DD.

#34 of 50 Old 04-16-2009, 03:13 PM

I saw this clip for the first time last night and bawled my eyes out watching it. She has such a beautiful voice. Everytime I get on the computer I watch it. I love the message that it sends that it is never too late to follow your dreams.

Kirsten, mama to Monkey since May 2007 and Bean born 11/7/09
#35 of 50 Old 04-17-2009, 03:58 AM

I loved her personality. I didn't find anything off putting about her.

and not to get OT but, I love, love, love this kid from a couple seasons ago.

~TRACY, wife to loving dh, mommy to dd (10/05), ds(12/08), 3 kitties, & 2 pups.
#36 of 50 Old 04-17-2009, 04:02 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hmm, well it didn't even come close to making me cry. The whole thing bothered me. I mean, good for her, she has a great voice, but the faces people were making in the audience in the beginning and the fact that they were so *shocked* actually made my skin crawl.

: Robyn : Increasingly crunchy Mama to Kya (8) , Makena (7) , and Keegan (4) :
#37 of 50 Old 04-17-2009, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMK_Mama View Post
Hmm, well it didn't even come close to making me cry. The whole thing bothered me. I mean, good for her, she has a great voice, but the faces people were making in the audience in the beginning and the fact that they were so *shocked* actually made my skin crawl.
ME TOO. It bothers me so much I can't stop thinking about it.
#38 of 50 Old 04-17-2009, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Yep, me too. Why on earth would anyone just assume that she didn't have singing talent?

Roman Goddess, mom to J (August 2004) and J (April 2009).    h20homebirth.gif signcirc1.gif
#39 of 50 Old 04-17-2009, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanGoddess View Post
Yep, me too. Why on earth would anyone just assume that she didn't have singing talent?
Have you seen the show? I don't mean this clip ... I mean the series.
#40 of 50 Old 04-17-2009, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FondestBianca View Post
I loved her personality. I didn't find anything off putting about her.

and not to get OT but, I love, love, love this kid from a couple seasons ago.
Wow again. That boy is incredible. I have never heard that song sung so beautifully.

malesling.GIFMutant Papa to DD (12)hippie.gif and DS (2)babyf.gif, married to DHribbonrainbow.gif
If it looks like I'm trying to pick a fight... I'm not, I'm rarely that obvious.hammer.gif
#41 of 50 Old 04-17-2009, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquesce View Post
Have you seen the show? I don't mean this clip ... I mean the series.
Never. Is it mostly people who have no talent who perform?

Roman Goddess, mom to J (August 2004) and J (April 2009).    h20homebirth.gif signcirc1.gif
#42 of 50 Old 04-17-2009, 05:42 AM

Thanks for the link. That was great ::::
#43 of 50 Old 04-17-2009, 06:31 AM

I also saw that on facebook. She has an amazing voice.

Mom to:

Three big girls  twins.gif (10) + joy.gif (almost 9!); 

One little boy ROTFLMAO.gif(6) and a full on toddler diaper.gif  (8/12) born with TAPVR heartbeat.gif (repaired at 6 days old).

#44 of 50 Old 04-17-2009, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanGoddess View Post
Never. Is it mostly people who have no talent who perform?
Yes and no. Early on in the "weeding out" process, yes. But also like most of the talent competition series, it's pretty much a given that there is a set of types -- based on mannerisms, looks, how pulled-together one looks, what they say in their interview, etc -- that are those who don't. Kind of like you see someone who looks and talks like William Hung on American Idol and, well, you expect someone with William Hung's talents. The audience is pretty conditioned by the nature of the show to sneer on cue. Given her age and physical appearance, had she come out dressed very professionally or formally, spoken with clear confidence, not done the little hip swirly thing, etc, I guarantee it would have been harder for the cameramen to search out rolling eyes, because she'd no longer have been so on-type.
#46 of 50 Old 04-17-2009, 06:00 PM

Ok...

Seriously...

I don't care what you look like...

If you can do what that woman can do I am going to be in shock and aww!

That kind of talent is rare.

Rarer then just being able to sing. Rarer then just being able to sing beautifully.

Very few people, beautiful or 'ugly' have a voice and pitch like that.

Not everyone is shocked because of some superficial reason. Some of us are shocked and surprised because most people cannot even dream of being able to do that.

Same with that kid Fondest posted the link too.

malesling.GIFMutant Papa to DD (12)hippie.gif and DS (2)babyf.gif, married to DHribbonrainbow.gif
If it looks like I'm trying to pick a fight... I'm not, I'm rarely that obvious.hammer.gif
#47 of 50 Old 04-17-2009, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicianDad View Post
Ok...

Seriously...

I don't care what you look like...

If you can do what that woman can do I am going to be in shock and aww!

Rarer then just being able to sing. Rarer then just being able to sing beautifully.

Very few people, beautiful or 'ugly' have a voice and pitch like that.

Not everyone is shocked because of some superficial reason. Some of us are shocked and surprised because most people cannot even dream of being able to do that.

Same with that kid Fondest posted the link too.
I see what you're saying, and I agree - she's extraordinary.

But I personally am reacting to how people keep saying "just goes to show you, don't judge a book by its cover" and so on.

People aren't just talking about the extraordinary talent of this woman - they are talking about her in the context of her looks. Simon said (not exact quote) "people were laughing at you but they aren't laughing now", Piers said "by far the biggest surprise in my 3 years on the show" not "by far the most extraordinary talent I've heard in my 3 years on the show."

Homeschooling mama to 6 year old DD.

#48 of 50 Old 04-17-2009, 06:56 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquesce View Post
sneer on cue
That's a good way to put it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

#49 of 50 Old 04-17-2009, 07:39 PM

Did y'all hear this?

Stunning.

I have retired from administration work, so if you have a question about anything MDC-related, please contact Cynthia Mosher. Thanks!

#50 of 50 Old 04-22-2009, 03:04 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicianDad View Post
I don't think it's that rare. Some of the best singers I've heard are not famous. I think there are a lot of ways to be a professional musician.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page