Britains got talent - Susan Boyle - You have to see this! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 50 Old 04-14-2009, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is such a beautiful lesson in not judging a book by its cover.

It's worth watching.

Blessed partner to a great guy, and mama to 4 amazing kids. Unfortunate target of an irrationally angry IRL stalker.

Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned. ~ Buddha

#2 of 50 Old 04-14-2009, 12:37 PM

watching the clip never gets old. I love it, and I love the reaction on everyone's face. Good for her.
#3 of 50 Old 04-14-2009, 02:24 PM

Maybe I'm pregnant or something, because watching that clip makes me want to cry.
#4 of 50 Old 04-14-2009, 02:37 PM
Banned

No Mishu, it's not cuz you're pregnant. I have tears in my eyes too and I'm definitely not pregnant. That was absolutely AMAZING!! Good for her!!!
#5 of 50 Old 04-14-2009, 02:45 PM

It also makes me think how shallow we are in putting an age limitation on American Idol contestants. We can't tolerate anyone who isn't young and attractive.
#6 of 50 Old 04-14-2009, 03:05 PM

I was expecting something extraordinary due to your comments, but that just blew me away. One note into her song and I was bawling ::

waiting on the power of the three wolf moon. 
#7 of 50 Old 04-14-2009, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verity View Post

It also makes me think how shallow we are in putting an age limitation on American Idol contestants. We can't tolerate anyone who isn't young and attractive.
I would LOVE to see a singer/songwriter or such competition in which the focus is only on actual talent and expressiveness and not on youth, beauty standards, personal style, and so on.
#8 of 50 Old 04-14-2009, 04:44 PM

I don't follow stuff like this (don't even have a TV, so how could I..?) but I saw a link to this somewhere and watched it four times in a row.

DH also doesn't care about stuff like this and watched it twice. We were both annoyed by the comment from the first guy that it was the biggest SURPRISE. Why not say it was the best performance or something? Why a surprise? I know we give preference to beautiful people but I honestly had no idea we assumed beauty and voice talent went together; it never occured to me.

Even though I don't have a TV I'd have to be living in a cave to not know who Simon Cowell was, and honestly the look on his face is what got me the most - it was like he was completely smitten, head over heels. I think I heard he kissed someone once; I wonder how it would have been if he had kissed her! (But maybe awkward, I dunno - but interesting to ponder at least).

What a wonderful talent, she just opened her mouth and sang (without a huge effort) and stunned the world.

Homeschooling mama to 6 year old DD.

#9 of 50 Old 04-14-2009, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquesce View Post
Maybe I'm pregnant or something, because watching that clip makes me want to cry.
Definitely NOT pregnant here and I was bawling with chills up my spine!

Soooo amazing!

Summer: crafty mama to 2 little girls and wife to Bob
#10 of 50 Old 04-14-2009, 05:45 PM

Incredible. Thanks for the link.

Married to DH 7 years and have three fantastic kiddos! DS 6, DD 4, and DS 2 ...... lo and behold another is on the way!

#11 of 50 Old 04-14-2009, 06:00 PM

This was amazing. I think however, that her performance told us more about us than about her.
#12 of 50 Old 04-14-2009, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxinsmom View Post
This was amazing. I think however, that her performance told us more about us than about her.
You are so right. Stunning and tear-jearking nonetheless.

DS 12/22/05 and DD 5/24/09
#13 of 50 Old 04-14-2009, 06:15 PM
2xy

Quote:
Originally Posted by laohaire View Post
Even though I don't have a TV I'd have to be living in a cave to not know who Simon Cowell was, and honestly the look on his face is what got me the most - it was like he was completely smitten, head over heels.
I have a TV but probably watch about 1/2 hour of TV a week, if that. But, yeah, I know who Simon is and the basic premise of the show.

I said the same thing to my DH when we watched that clip....I said, "This summer, the headline is going to be 'Simon marries Susan Boyle.'"
#14 of 50 Old 04-14-2009, 06:23 PM

That was amazing.

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

#15 of 50 Old 04-14-2009, 07:38 PM

I was going to post this last night and I forgot it. I have to admit when I first saw the beginning of the clip I thought it was going to be another William Huong and was totally shocked and awed by her performance. I hope she wins it all, I hope she has her dreams come true, she deserves it. She's fantastic!
#16 of 50 Old 04-15-2009, 09:24 AM

I can't watch this enough, its so sweet and wonderful:

She was so brave, a lamb facing the lions and they couldn't wait to eat her up. But she made them cry and fall breathlessly in love with her and I lost count of all the standing ovations she got! She will never forget that,how wonderful,how very wonderful!
#17 of 50 Old 04-15-2009, 09:25 AM

Quote:
this was amazing. I think however, that her performance told us more about us than about her.
ita
#18 of 50 Old 04-15-2009, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laohaire View Post

Even though I don't have a TV I'd have to be living in a cave to not know who Simon Cowell was, and honestly the look on his face is what got me the most - it was like he was completely smitten, head over heels. I think I heard he kissed someone once; I wonder how it would have been if he had kissed her! (But maybe awkward, I dunno - but interesting to ponder at least).

What a wonderful talent, she just opened her mouth and sang (without a huge effort) and stunned the world.
it would have been even more interesting if he kissed her because she's never been kissed before! Hasn't had a first kiss yet! I love her story. She took care of her mother her whole life and she died two years ago. She is still devastated. Her mother always said she should audition for the show because she had a nice voice. Awwww. So she did it for her mom. I love Susan Boyle! I've watched the clip a gazillion times and cry every time.

Beth- WOHM slinggirl.gif  -Madly in love with my Wife- SAHMhola.gifandbabyf.gifSophia, born 11/2/10, at home! homebirth.jpgExpressing love, one ounce at a time!  1pump.gif

#19 of 50 Old 04-15-2009, 03:32 PM

I would have thought that the judges should have already learned their lesson about pre-judging/cynicism from the Paul Potts thing.
#20 of 50 Old 04-15-2009, 03:38 PM

Wow. I'm so happy for her.

mama to   broc1.gif DS 6/06 and banana.gif DS 4/08
#21 of 50 Old 04-15-2009, 04:57 PM

Wasn't that just amazing? I just loved every second of her performance and think she's just a beautifully real and inspiring person :

I have retired from administration work, so if you have a question about anything MDC-related, please contact Cynthia Mosher. Thanks!

#22 of 50 Old 04-15-2009, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Amen! I loved that everyone was laughing and rolling their eyes and then she opened her mouth and sang like an angle and people were moved to their feet and to tears! It reminds me of the whole Beauty and the Beast thing with the "will you help the old woman?" and then she becomes this glorious being. I really hope it held up a mirror to our superficial society.

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif
#23 of 50 Old 04-15-2009, 05:09 PM

I just watched Paul Potts. I hadn't heard of him until the Susan Boyle thing. Wow! :

But it makes me wonder how many exceptionally talented people are overlooked and shooed away because they are not drop dead gorgeous or skinny or young enough.

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif
#24 of 50 Old 04-15-2009, 05:29 PM

WOW!!! Thanks for that link, it has made my day.
#25 of 50 Old 04-15-2009, 05:45 PM

I almost cried watching that this morning. She has such an amazing voice! I hope her dream comes true!

Elizabeth wife to Matt , mom to Logan (2/21/01) , and little man Desmond (9/23/08)

Mourning the loss of her father: Robert Edward Dillon 5/31/52 - 01/03/2011

#26 of 50 Old 04-15-2009, 05:55 PM

Wow...

Give then thread title I expect good, but that has got to be the best performance I have ever seen.

malesling.GIFMutant Papa to DD (12)hippie.gif and DS (2)babyf.gif, married to DHribbonrainbow.gif
If it looks like I'm trying to pick a fight... I'm not, I'm rarely that obvious.hammer.gif
#27 of 50 Old 04-15-2009, 06:30 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karenwith4 View Post
This is such a beautiful lesson in not judging a book by its cover.

It's worth watching.
OK, so I was specifically coming to MDC to discuss this, and I hope I don't offend anyone here, because it's not my intention to single anyone out. I had a friend on facebook a week or so ago link the Susan Boyle video, and then say "Never ever judge a book by its cover" and then I've seen the video linked numerous times, and I'm trying to figure out what it is that bothers me. What is it about the way she looks that make people think she's going to be untalented? Some of the most talented singers out there are not that good looking. Take Gary Lakes, for example. And many opera singers who have great voices do not fit the mold for mainstream models of beauty. I've been to various local venues and heard fantastic singers of varying degrees of attractiveness. Some of them have blown my socks off, they are so good. They don't have a career in it, however, and probably never will because they don't fit the mold.

What is it about her personality that makes it seem like she's going to be bad? I heard her described as awkward and unassuming, but she is articulate and confident in her interview. People might think her mannerisms are awkward, but if a thinner, younger, more attractive woman acted like that, people wouldn't have had an issue with it. They'd expect it. I find it frustrating, for some reason, and I'm not sure I can really put a finger on it, but I think in part its the way we judge people in general.

I'm sure most people don't think she's very attractive. She also appears to have a high BMI. I fit into this category, and when I refer to myself I say I'm fat old and ugly, because I'm not afraid to embrace those things, really. I mean we are who we are, right? Seeing her in the interview, I would figure she probably would sing pretty well. A lot of people can sing well. It's not like they are just undiscovered talent, it's that there are a lot of factors that have to come together for that talent to be a career. It would surprise me more if she were going on that show and *couldn't* actually perform well, ya' know?

I feel like so much of that is staged. On American Idol they do it all the time, they want to surprise people. So they'll show an attractive confident person who talks about their singing abilities, and then that person will be horrible. Then they'll follow it up with a pretty person that they try to paint as vapid or overconfident, and then it will turn out that person can sing well. They just wanted to trick the viewers for better television. Sometimes they do it the opposite way and show you a person who is unattractive and so weird you think they are going to have to be good, and sometimes they are and sometime they aren't. Woe to the ones that aren't, they are usually painted as mentally unbalanced, when half of them are just trying to get on TV. I guess that's what they were going for here, hoping she was just out of touch and overconfident of her abilities, but Susan Boyle seemed mostly normal and down to earth to me. The judges attitudes just seemed either really fake, or just really a sad commentary at how out of touch with the real world people in the entertainment may be.

I'm not really sure what I'm trying to get at here, but she is a valuable person, regardless of her singing talent. I've seen comments that say we should see her inner beauty and how it's expressed in her voice, or that God hides a His awesome wonders from us, and we need to have the eyes to see it. OK, but what if she hadn't been a very good singer? What if the old lady in Beauty and the Beast had just been a really old woman? What if the beast was just an ugly animal, not a beautiful prince. I don't know why this bothers me so much, but I think it's how we put worth on people. The diamond in the rough has to really be a diamond, and we have to look for that in people. But it seems like we are looking for the wrong thing if we expect everyone to have a gift that society deems valuable, and if some people don't, then we can just discount them.

OK, sorry to ramble on, just wanted to get that off my chest. The person who posts after me can respond and completely disregard my comments.
#28 of 50 Old 04-15-2009, 06:38 PM

Well of course it's staged. I have no doubt that a big part of the reason a great many audience members were "against her" wasn't her appearance itself so much as that everyone there knew the show, knew its premise, and knew that when you see an older, dumpy, imperfectly poised individual walk out on stage you are about to see one of the individuals chosen for comic relief. But it's like watching a movie ... even though you know it was entirely likely written by some guy in his basement, it can still move you terrifically.
#29 of 50 Old 04-15-2009, 07:00 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Yeah, I am capable of being emotionally manipulated, so I enjoyed the clip. Then it made me go find more like it, mostly children who can sing way beyond their age. But the judges faces and the hosts reactions just annoy me. They are trying to hard or something.

For some reason, the Paul guy just surprised me more.
#30 of 50 Old 04-15-2009, 11:28 PM

Gave me chills & brought Dh to tears!

Cristina - "If you find it in your heart to care for somebody else, you will have succeeded." Maya Angelou

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page