So You Think You Can Dance starts Thurs. May 21st! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

#31 of 215 Old 05-28-2009, 09:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by galincognito View Post
this is what i said to dh tonight. since we haven't seen him yet i'm fairly positive he'll be on next week!
They showed him on the previews for next week.

Personally, this is my favorite audition, Ian Bernardo. I cant seem to find his SYTYCD audition...

Oh wait. Here is his Dance audition. hahahaha (Not the best quality, though.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 215 Old 05-28-2009, 02:32 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smalls181 View Post
Okay, so that Tyce guy.... what a fool. He was so rude, and not even funny. I found him so obnoxious. Is he going to be around a lot?
OMG, really?? I LOVE him! He was so hilarious and mean! Like a flamboyant Simon Cowell!!! I would be WAY more rude than he was! I would be pissed with obviously crappy dancers wasting my time. Then again, I also love Mia and how honest and sometimes rude she is.

Beth- WOHM slinggirl.gif  -Madly in love with my Wife- SAHMhola.gifandbabyf.gifSophia, born 11/2/10, at home! homebirth.jpgExpressing love, one ounce at a time!  1pump.gif

#33 of 215 Old 05-28-2009, 10:15 PM

every time i watch this, every single week, i comment on how much better i like the judges on this show compared to AI - constructive, all professional dancers, not mean for means sake, not useless because it gets a laugh, etc.

can't wait for tonight!

#34 of 215 Old 05-29-2009, 03:18 AM - Thread Starter

omg, i am sooo happy that the "hat" guy (evan?) tried out again this year! he is so awesome. i love that 40s/50s style. and his brother's routine with the whoopie cushion was hilarious! i hope one of them makes it to the top 20! :

dd 10.06joy.gif
#35 of 215 Old 05-29-2009, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by konamama View Post
every time i watch this, every single week, i comment on how much better i like the judges on this show compared to AI - constructive, all professional dancers, not mean for means sake, not useless because it gets a laugh, etc.

can't wait for tonight!
Totally agree about the judges! They all really know how to give constructive criticism...probably because they're all choreographers/dance instructors as well.
#36 of 215 Old 05-29-2009, 01:36 PM

I loved Nathan, the 17 yr old that got the ticket for the fall season. I didn't notice that he was 17 while he was dancing and I kept thinking, "Oh, this guy will be the male shoe-in for top 5!" THEN to hear he won't be on this season??? BOO!! If AI can have 16 yr olds, why is SYTYCD minimum 18???? Well, at least it's exciting that they gave him a Vegas ticket already! I thought that was so cool!!!

Can't wait for the Vegas Hell Week!

Beth- WOHM slinggirl.gif  -Madly in love with my Wife- SAHMhola.gifandbabyf.gifSophia, born 11/2/10, at home! homebirth.jpgExpressing love, one ounce at a time!  1pump.gif

#37 of 215 Old 05-29-2009, 02:02 PM

oh yay! no one i know IRL watches, so glad to find this thread!

s*x (sorry, posting @ work...don't want to get flagged, lol!) was on last night. he even did a dance-off w/ someone equally bad. i forget the guy's name. he was from ukraine and declared the "winner." but they were both sent packing (shocker), even though s*x got to go to the choreography round. he's just.SO.awkward!!!

semi-crunchy mama to 1 unschooly, sometimes unruly, but mostly sweet and cool DS (17)
student reiki practitioner and aspiring /
#38 of 215 Old 05-30-2009, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monarchgrrl View Post
If AI can have 16 yr olds, why is SYTYCD minimum 18???? Well, at least it's exciting that they gave him a Vegas ticket already! I thought that was so cool!!!
That's what I was wondering too
#39 of 215 Old 05-30-2009, 01:18 PM

Quote:
I loved Nathan, the 17 yr old that got the ticket for the fall season. I didn't notice that he was 17 while he was dancing and I kept thinking, "Oh, this guy will be the male shoe-in for top 5!" THEN to hear he won't be on this season??? BOO!! If AI can have 16 yr olds, why is SYTYCD minimum 18???? Well, at least it's exciting that they gave him a Vegas ticket already! I thought that was so cool!!!

Can't wait for the Vegas Hell Week!
IIRC, part of the winner's prize is a contract to work with a professional dance tour (a show in Vegas, concert tour, something like that) and the dancer would need to be at least 18 in most professional companies to be eligible for hiring.

Although, to be perfectly honest, it wouldn't bother me a bit if AI upped their minimum age to 18 too and let the kids have another year or two to mature before throwing them into that world anyway. But then maybe I'm just a fuddy-duddy.

"I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult." â E.B. White
#40 of 215 Old 06-03-2009, 11:10 PM

All I could keep thinking tonight was how over-botoxed nigel looks. His eyes are just not naturally that smooth.

I LOVE both the broadway brothers. That 40s look is frigging HOT.

Caitlin reminds me of Julie McCullough from Growing Pains. It's hard for me to focus on her dancing because I just see her in that role.
#41 of 215 Old 06-03-2009, 11:14 PM

I'm really upset they let Natalie go. I feel like I know none of the girls in the top 16. I do recognize a few of the guys but it's like none of the people left are standing out to me.
#42 of 215 Old 06-04-2009, 02:34 AM

I was also surprised to see Natalie go. There were also a lot of the guys they let go that I wanted to stay.

: Robyn : Increasingly crunchy Mama to Kya (8) , Makena (7) , and Keegan (4) :
#43 of 215 Old 06-04-2009, 03:39 AM

NOT NATALIE!!!!!!

I literally pouted the entire show. I mean, they didnt even let her dance for her life but they let that Gaby girl?! Ridiculous!!!

wife. dd1 : dd2
#44 of 215 Old 06-04-2009, 10:31 AM

I couldn't figure out why they let Natalie go??? They had her dance for everyone as an example and then she danced for the judges and then they cut her! I swear they just have their favorites so it really doesn't matter how good you are. They should have let Natalie dance for her life! It would have been a better season with her. What about her friend, he was awesome and I felt like the Mia Michaels was so hard on him. I didn't understand why???

LDS, natural birthing,, , mom to 6 super fun crazy kids!
#45 of 215 Old 06-04-2009, 01:26 PM

I was SO disappointed and annoyed that they let Natalie go. Seriously, why didn't they at least ask her to dance for her life? And what the heck were they wishing she had done better??? She is fabulous! I am so irritated they cut her and kept Gaby - and Mia Michaels gets on my nerves hugely with her I'm-so-much-better-than-everyone attitude and totally capricious likes/dislikes. She just wasn't making sense with her decisions at all.

On another subject, I generally appreciate the criticism from these judges because over all it is very constructive and specific, but it is rather off-putting how often they told dancers last night "you are a real disappointment/you really let me down." By this point in the game ALL the contestants are outstanding dancers and, while they certainly can have disappointing dances it seems really harsh in light of the fact that clearly only 20 dancers can go on to be in the contest. Really judges? They let YOU down? They were doing it for YOU? Probably I'm just being picky, but it bugged me.

"I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult." â E.B. White
#46 of 215 Old 06-04-2009, 01:42 PM

I was bummed too! I agree that she didn't seem as fluid as when she danced with Brandon(sp?) but to call her out as an example and then send her home on the next dance, seemed like they were just doing it to up the drama and it made me mad at Nigel. Generally I understand that people have to be cut, it's a competition, but they don't have to use people to create drama. I don't like that. I know that there is only limited time, but as someone else mentioned, we know so few girls left, wouldn't it be nice to have been introduced to them??!?
I'm so worried about the brothers. I LOVE them but I can't imagine that they'll let both of them on the show. And, I'm sure that Nigel will love the drama of cutting one of them. (I'm imagining it'll go kind of like Katie and Natalie last year ) I guess that only time will tell.
#47 of 215 Old 06-04-2009, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYCat View Post
I'm so worried about the brothers. I LOVE them but I can't imagine that they'll let both of them on the show. And, I'm sure that Nigel will love the drama of cutting one of them. (I'm imagining it'll go kind of like Katie and Natalie last year ) I guess that only time will tell.
Yep, I bet that the younger one will go through and not the older one. On the preview it showed them hugging and waiting to hear the final answer. Drama drama drama. I actually hope they keep the younger one. The older one is a great choreographer but I don't think he's as strong a dancer as the younger one.

I also agree with everyone else about Natalie! So wrong!! Wrong call! And, yeah, no girls are left that they've even given any air time to.

Did anyone see if that professional ballet dancer guy made it through? He was the first Vegas solo audition and then I didn't think I saw him again. I thought he was fabulous and should go all the way to top 20, but I couldn't tell if he was cut or not.

#48 of 215 Old 06-04-2009, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancindoula View Post
On another subject, I generally appreciate the criticism from these judges because over all it is very constructive and specific, but it is rather off-putting how often they told dancers last night "you are a real disappointment/you really let me down." By this point in the game ALL the contestants are outstanding dancers and, while they certainly can have disappointing dances it seems really harsh in light of the fact that clearly only 20 dancers can go on to be in the contest. Really judges? They let YOU down? They were doing it for YOU? Probably I'm just being picky, but it bugged me.
I had the same thoughts when I was watching last night. It was really starting to get on my nerves.

Anyway, was anyone else sad to see Nobuya (the Japanese guy) go? I love that kid. He has such a great spirit, and while he may not have been the best dancer or classically trained or anything, I think he had a lot of potential. I would have loved to have seen more of him.

coolshine.gif

#49 of 215 Old 06-04-2009, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverscout View Post
I had the same thoughts when I was watching last night. It was really starting to get on my nerves.

Anyway, was anyone else sad to see Nobuya (the Japanese guy) go? I love that kid. He has such a great spirit, and while he may not have been the best dancer or classically trained or anything, I think he had a lot of potential. I would have loved to have seen more of him.
I was REALLY bummed when they let Nobuya go.

: Robyn : Increasingly crunchy Mama to Kya (8) , Makena (7) , and Keegan (4) :
#50 of 215 Old 06-04-2009, 08:27 PM

I missed the first half hour of the show and didn't see much of Natalie other than her last group dance. From my perspective she wasn't that great, compared to her auditions. Her little spark was gone. I am surprised that they didn't let her dance for her life.

I'm so freakin' nervous about the two brothers. I have a horrible feeling they will cut the older brother. I know he will have an awesome career ahead of him, but it's still going to make me cry.

Mia does get on my nerves at this point in the competition. She can be very critically and she looooooves to cut people. I do understand, though, that she is very passionate about her work and she is a tremendous coreographer. I love Little C. I love just about all of the choreographers, especially the new girl with the mohawk. And I loved the way....gawd, I keep forgetting everyone's name....Adam (???) got teary and said he missed dancing. One thing I'm not looking foward to this season is Fire Marshal Bill.....I mean, Mary Murphy screaming. It has gotten very old.

Jenn treehugger.gifmama to Monkeylearning.gifSquishyenergy.gif& Riverangel1.gif(8wks)Wife to Mikejog.gif See you at the rainbow1284.gif Bridge, Abigael cat.gifand McKenna dog2.gifgd.gifnamaste.giffamilybed2.gifbellyhair.gifcaffix.gifcrochetsmilie.gifom.gifknit.gifcomputergeek2.gif

#51 of 215 Old 06-04-2009, 08:36 PM

I only got to see the last half hour of last nights episode.
I noticed that there was a couple of people from last season, and one from last season and from SYTYCD:Canada. I wonder if he was dropped for the same reason as last time (had a temper tantrum when he missed a step and stomped off stage) He really seemed like a great dancer. I hope I get a chance to see the full episode.
THEY DROPPED NATALIE!!!?!!!? Bummer.

waiting on the power of the three wolf moon. 
#52 of 215 Old 06-04-2009, 11:22 PM

Ok. Mia is so full o fit. Why does she and the other judge not like Brandon? And why do they need to tear him down? Jeez. Can you tell I'm still mourning her?

Anyways, so happy Brandon's in. I also like the Hawaiian guy. Don't know why they're obsessed with his hair. Frankly, I wish he had kept it.

My conspiracy theory is that they thought Natalie wouldn't be good for the show and so they found a way to let her go early. They couldn't let her get to the top 32 without putting her on the show so they let her go early. If they really had a doubt about whether or not she was "off" they would have let her dance for her life as a pp said.

I like Jason Glover.

I felt really badly for Andy Young. I could see how much it pained him and how much he wanted to do something new. I hope he comes back for the fall or for next summer.

Love the guy who makes waves with his arms. I didn't catch his name.
#53 of 215 Old 06-05-2009, 02:00 PM

Dang it! Andy!! NOOOOOO!!!! That's who I was asking about up-thread. I'm so sad. He was the best. Darn Miami Ballet!

I REALLY don't understand why that tall guy that did the routine with Nigel's pictures got through. He's not good. At. All. That makes me so mad. Why do they care so much about personality? Do they think that's the main reason people vote? Grrrrrrrr :

I really like Unitard Girl. She'll be my Chelsea Hightower this season, I think.

I also wish Kupono (sp?) had kept his hair. He's hot! And maybe it's "teh gay" in me, but I LOVE it when men dance slightly feminine. Strong and masculine is fine, whatever, but I MELT and get all squishy when hot men dance with a good dose of femininity.

Mia is definitely opinionated and I have no idea why she doesn't like Brandon. I still luv her, though. I think she's earned the right to be super tough. Mean isn't necessary, though. I have a feeling it's because Mary and Nigel made such a hullabaloo about him from the first audition and they talked him up sooooo high that she had way too high expectations for him. It's like going to a movie after it's been so hyped-up by friends. It's just not as good as you imagined. I felt so bad for him. But good on him for saying "It's on. I'll prove you wrong"!!!! He's got to get rid of that nervous smile. Like Mia said, people are going to think it's fake. It's just nerves, though.

#54 of 215 Old 06-05-2009, 08:59 PM

I thought Mia was unnecessarily harsh. I'm glad Brandon still make it through. He dances with such power!

I can't believe they didn't let Natalie dance for her life, when they did allow Gaby to. And, they told Gaby, this isn't just about this dance, but about all your past performances- why not for Natalie, too? I think whoever's suspicion above, that they had to get rid of her for some reason, must be true.

I don't know WHY they wouldn't have figured out the stuff with Alex's contract before he's almost in the top 20, and then let him down like that! He was amazing.

I was sorry only one brother got through, but I knew they wouldn't take 2 of the same style, and would take the younger one.

It's weird at the beginning when you don't know the dancers- I feel like no one could be as good as the ones we've come to know and love! There will never be another Twitch, Joshua, Katee, Chelsea, Kherington, etc! I hope they new ones grow on me like the previous ones.
#55 of 215 Old 06-05-2009, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsay1234 View Post
NOT NATALIE!!!!!!

I literally pouted the entire show. I mean, they didnt even let her dance for her life but they let that Gaby girl?! Ridiculous!!!

: Why didn't she get the opprotunity to dance for her life? She was a lot better than the dancers they showed dancing for their lives.

SAHM to my baby girl Ella (12/09) wife to the love of my life practicing/believing in
#56 of 215 Old 06-05-2009, 11:17 PM

I was sad for Natalie, but over all happy with the Top 20 choices. Although I wished they had kept the blond girl over Asuka...I like her, but I liked the other girl more. I couldn't believe how horrible some of those group number were!!! :Puke

-:¦:-♥Sarah Lynne♥-:¦:-Wife to Michael and Mommy to Austin(5), Steven(3), Tristyn(1), and Laurelyn (6/3/2011)

#57 of 215 Old 06-06-2009, 11:18 PM

Quote:
I REALLY don't understand why that tall guy that did the routine with Nigel's pictures got through. He's not good. At. All. That makes me so mad. Why do they care so much about personality? Do they think that's the main reason people vote? Grrrrrrrr :

I totally agree. I think he'll be gone early on in the show. Nigel said that he was chosen because of growth potential. I don't see it. I saw that he tried very hard in the auditions, but I don't think he deserved it more than some of the others who were cut. And he was so cocky afterward....that annoyed the crap out of me.

I think we will grow to love the dancers. It is such a great show with amazing choreography. And, I agree, that the judges are really good and give such good feedback...most of the time! Mia was ridiculous with Brandon and I'm glad Debbie Allen chimed in.
#58 of 215 Old 06-11-2009, 09:48 PM

I can't believe there are no comments about last night's show! I thought it was great! I pretty much loved everyone, I don't know how 2 will get voted off every week! I didn't even vote because I liked everyone, so all my votes would cancel themselves out!

The only ones that I can imagine in the bottom are the one hip hop couple who the judges felt didn't give it their all. But even so, it still wasn't horrible and was pretty great considering they've been partnered such a short time!

Mary Murphy is definitely on something. She's out of control.

I like Adam Shankman more and more.

Off to go watch the results show!
#59 of 215 Old 06-11-2009, 11:22 PM

i really liked the crash test dummies!
#60 of 215 Old 06-12-2009, 01:27 AM

Would it be in violation of the MDC user agreement if I said I really, really would like to get naughty with Evan?
I'm not even going to apologize for being totally into this show, either. Sure, it's visually appealing and entertaining as all get-out, but it is really neat seeing so many styles of dance in one show.

Jen, journalist, policy wonk, and formerly a proud single mama to my sweet little man Cyrus, born at home Dec. 2007
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. Now married to my Incredibly Nice Guy
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and new mama to baby Arthur.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page