True Blood!!!!!!! - Show & Book Discussion & Comparison - Please use the [spoiler][/spoiler] tags! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-15-2009, 11:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I was confused about Eric's hair.. why on earth would he be dying his hair? Their hair doesn't grow, so he wouldn't have roots, even if he wasn't a natural blood. I mean, it was funny to see him like that, sure, but why? Plus, why wouldn't he wait to get the other guy until he was done with his hair? Weird.

I'm a huge fan of Eric and I really hope he has a big part in the show.

-Rachel
Mommy to Colwyn, 10/03 ~ Lachlann, 8/05 ~ Fiona, 6/08 ~ Niall, 5/10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2009, 11:41 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think Eric is getting a new look via the previews

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif
Old 06-16-2009, 01:31 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColwynsMommy View Post
I was confused about Eric's hair.. why on earth would he be dying his hair? Their hair doesn't grow, so he wouldn't have roots, even if he wasn't a natural blood. I mean, it was funny to see him like that, sure, but why? Plus, why wouldn't he wait to get the other guy until he was done with his hair? Weird.

I'm a huge fan of Eric and I really hope he has a big part in the show.
I agree. I hated that. It was funny but didn't make a darn bit of sense. They stay the same as they were when they were turned vampire. He's over 1000 years old. He was a viking. His hair was already blond.

Plus, the very best thing about the books is that Eric is ALL man. He is so masculine. Having him come down with foils in his hair was ridiculous and completely changes the character for me.

I want to love this series but, it's so very different from the books and not in a good way. I get creative license but, there are so many ways they could have added to the books but so far, I think a lot of the changes they've made have been really bad ones.
Old 06-16-2009, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Plus, the very best thing about the books is that Eric is ALL man. He is so masculine. Having him come down with foils in his hair was ridiculous and completely changes the character for me.
You mean like that part in the books with the pink spandex?

If believe Eric is going to cut his hair- that's what it looks like from the previews. Now depending on your vamp lore it is possible that his hair will grow back to it's original state so cutting it and dyeing it may not be so odd.

I actually like that the books and show are so different. I am usually a purest when it comes to this but with this series I like it. I guess it's because Harris' books aren't all that.... deep? They are fun mystery novels. But Ball is adding depth to them.

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif
Old 06-16-2009, 02:34 PM

:

I especially appreciate that there are so many characters being developed on the show. We get to know people other than Sookie! Yay! Sookie annoys me, in the show and in the books. I continue to read the books because I'm interested in the supernatural elements - what else really exists in that world? And I want to see how things go with the fanatics on all sides.
The show brings so much more to the world than I ever experienced with the books.

You can find me on Facebook. PM for info.
Old 06-16-2009, 02:51 PM

I completely agree- especially with Sookie being annoying. I use to like her but now not so much.

Old 06-16-2009, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColwynsMommy View Post
Plus, why wouldn't he wait to get the other guy until he was done with his hair? Weird.
I got the impression that Eric came down to get the guy in a fit of anger because he could hear the guy talking about escaping. Eric was probably almost as irritated by the guys constant talking as Lafayette was. Plus, Eric seemed to have a particular dislike for that guy last season when Eric ran in to him at Merlotte's. (I'm thinking of how Eric singled him out and ominously announced that vampires can tell when someone has harmed one of them. At the time, Amy--a V addict and vampire drainer--was only a few yards away, but Eric focussed on that one guy instead.)
Old 06-16-2009, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magstphil View Post
If believe Eric is going to cut his hair- that's what it looks like from the previews. Now depending on your vamp lore it is possible that his hair will grow back to it's original state so cutting it and dyeing it may not be so odd.
I think that Charlaine Harris subscribes to that bit of vamp mythology because in one of the books (maybe the first one?) Bill comments that he was lucky that he had shaved the day that he died so that he would always be clean shaven.
Old 06-18-2009, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter

I finished watching first episode of the season and couple of things:

First of all: I hate how mean Eric is on the series...I just can't imagine "book Eric" killing this man like that...The whole "hair dyeing" thing is ridicilous! I want "book Eric"! Bring me "book Eric" asap!!!

I'm glad that the authors didn't stick to the books though and kept Lafayette around. I love his character.

Jason joining the Fellowship is the Sun will somehow get tied up and bring us closer to the story in the book...

I loooved the sex scene between Sookie and Bill... so romantic.

I don't care for the storyline with Marianne, she is a completely made-up character.
Old 06-18-2009, 03:48 PM

No she's not, she's just the Manead, twisted up and given more of a story.
Old 06-18-2009, 04:10 PM

I had ZERO interest in the books or the show until a friend pushed me to watch Episode 1.

I am totally hooked! I watched the entire first season On Demand over the past week.

Eric and his foils (highlights) made me laugh too.

Tara's accent bothers me. It sounds so forced and fake.

The Maryanne/Tara thing has me wondering, I don't get where its going.

I didn't see the Renee/Drew thing coming, that floored me.

Mom to DS, born fall 05 after ,,, wife/best friend to DH We have
Old 06-18-2009, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by whateverdidiwants View Post
No she's not, she's just the Manead, twisted up and given more of a story.
nooooo...........are you sure? I didn't put 2 and 2 together!!!
Old 06-18-2009, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janelovesmax View Post
nooooo...........are you sure? I didn't put 2 and 2 together!!!
Yes. She appears for the first time in season 1 how she does to Sookie in book 2 complete with pig. She also has gods all over her home. Sam also gives her an offering. etc etc etc

Old 06-18-2009, 06:41 PM

Plus she keeps encouraging people to drink and hook up - remember how the manead feeds off the lust and drunkenness of others?
Old 06-19-2009, 02:23 PM

Just started watching TrueBlood--LOVE IT!!!

I like the atmosphere--it's so gritty, I love it. So far I like all the characters. From reading this thread, I think I was prepared for it to be different. But for me, it is a positive difference. Too often movies based on books try to follow the book exactly, but it NEVER works. Why not take it and run with it?

And who should play Quinn? THE ROCK, OF COURSE! Dwayne Johnson is a hottie, he can act, and he as a *beautiful* smile with big gorgeous teeth--just like Quinn.
Old 06-19-2009, 03:30 PM

Quinn? Arnold Vosloo. Hands down.

Here's a visual: http://film.onet.pl/_i/news/duze/a/arnold_vosloo_1.jpg

Ummm, and speaking of man candy from The Mummy, can we fit Oded Fehr in there somewhere too? Wouldn't he make a fabulous Alcide?

http://www.alicia-logic.com/capsimag...4_OdedFehr.jpg

An Official, Approved Signatureâ¢
Old 06-19-2009, 04:39 PM

Ohhhhh, I LUV Oded Fehr.

--"Mama Bear" : to DD 8/06
Tree-hugging :, queer-loving , liberal, feminist hippie mom! :
Old 06-19-2009, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Tara's accent bothers me. It sounds so forced and fake.
Thank you I have a really hard time believing her. I was a bit stunned by Marianne's (sp?) confrontation of Tara's mother. It took me a few seconds to realize what she was actually saying. What's up with the awesome guy at the pool that Marianne seems to have set up for Tara? What's a manead?

Did anyone else catch Bill's great line, "We recycle in this house." I loved it!

I have retired from administration work, so if you have a question about anything MDC-related, please contact Cynthia Mosher. Thanks!

Old 06-19-2009, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkHorseMama View Post
Quinn? Arnold Vosloo. Hands down.

Here's a visual: http://film.onet.pl/_i/news/duze/a/arnold_vosloo_1.jpg

Ummm, and speaking of man candy from The Mummy, can we fit Oded Fehr in there somewhere too? Wouldn't he make a fabulous Alcide?

http://www.alicia-logic.com/capsimag...4_OdedFehr.jpg
Both of those work for me!
I also love Oded Fehr!!! Yummy!

Old 06-19-2009, 06:02 PM

I love Oded Fehr and any excuse to look at him but I just don't see him as Alcide.

LOVED when Bill said they recycle. :

You know I really think Stephen whats-his-face does a great job as Bill. I also think the writers do too as he talks for his time if that makes sense.

Old 06-19-2009, 06:03 PM

Does anyone else wonder how Anna and Stephen handle the sex scenes being real life lovers? I mean acting is one thing but acting something out you actually do in privacy... that HAS to be weird, right?

I think too much

Old 06-19-2009, 06:43 PM

I didn't know they were a real couple. That must be why the scenes are so hot LOL.
Old 06-19-2009, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipse View Post
I didn't know they were a real couple. That must be why the scenes are so hot LOL.
No kidding!

http://justjared.buzznet.com/2009/02...-moyer-couple/

Old 06-20-2009, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Does anyone else wonder how Anna and Stephen handle the sex scenes being real life lovers? I mean acting is one thing but acting something out you actually do in privacy... that HAS to be weird, right?

I think too much
I must think to much too because I wondered the same thing.

Another thing that I think too much about: Sookie usually doesn't have a bra on when she takes her shirt off during the sex scene. But during the scenes when she's working at Merlotte's she seems to be wearing a bra (or at least it isn't obvious that she's not wearing one, and I think that it would be since she's just wearing a tight white t-shirt.)
Old 06-22-2009, 01:58 PM

Quote:

I think too much
I've wondered that too! I saw an interview with Stephen where they asked him a similar question and he said they have some sort of thing for men to wear so they don't get excited during those scenes. But it still must be very weird!
Old 06-22-2009, 01:58 PM

Can someone explain the rationale/difference between turning someone into a vampire and just killing them for the blood? I understand the artificial blood replacement eliminates the need for drinking human blood, but I still see that they're eating? people (or at least Eric did). I missed most of Season One and am trying to catch up and understand.

I think the scene in the basement with Lafayette and the leg was one of the grossest images I've seen all year. Any guesses as to Lafayette's fate? I am guessing Eric must be a character you have to get to know in order to really like him. I'm not seeing the big appeal yet. And what about Jessica's family? Bill wouldn't turn them into vampires would he??? I'm so confused! Please help a vampire noob

I have retired from administration work, so if you have a question about anything MDC-related, please contact Cynthia Mosher. Thanks!

Old 06-22-2009, 02:06 PM

Warning :: Spoiler Ahead! Highlight to read message!
Lafayette will be vampire. I checked IMDB, and it looks like Nelsan Ellis will be on the next two shows. Lafayette is such an awesome character, they can't get rid of him yet!

Watch season 1 and read the books!
I don't think Bill will turn Jessica's family into vampires or kill them. I imagine he'll glamour them so they don't remember anything.

People taste better than True Blood, and hunting is part of a vampire's nature. True Blood made it possible for some vampires to mainstream (like Bill) and for the vampires to make themselves known. Eating people is still common, though.

Old 06-22-2009, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia View Post
Can someone explain the rationale/difference between turning someone into a vampire and just killing them for the blood? I understand the artificial blood replacement eliminates the need for drinking human blood, but I still see that they're eating? people (or at least Eric did). I missed most of Season One and am trying to catch up and understand.
From what I remember of Bill turning Jessica into a vampire, he had to bury her underground and sleep with her there for, I think, three days until she rises as a vampire. That's only difference I remember, but maybe someone else knows more details.
Old 06-22-2009, 02:37 PM

They have alluded to it in the show by showing Jessica as a "wild child" but once a vampire creates another vampire, the two are bound to an extent. The show uses that relationship to comic effect between Bill and Jessica, but there is a darker side besides the "aw-I-don't-wanna-go-to-bed-yet" scenes.

I gather that in vampire law the maker vampire is also somewhat responsible for training and showing the newcomer the ropes. The books refer to the old vampire/new vampire relationship as sire and child (sire is gender neutral in this case), so there is a definite bond and sense of responsibility between the two. The relationship may not last a long time, but in some cases noted in the books it may span multiple centuries.

I don't want to give away too much for those who haven't read the books, but turning someone is very, very different than simply making a meal from them.

Old 06-22-2009, 02:44 PM

Most people who have read the books prefer Eric to Bill....at least those to whom I have spoken. Eric is a very interesting character in the book series. Bill comes across like a stick-in-the-mud.

Eric's "Pam'll kill me" comment about getting blood in his hair cracked me up. In fact, I probably laughed more in this episode than in any of the others that I recall.

Anyone else think that Alan Ball is doing a perfect send-up of the Osteens with Steve and Sarah Newlin? When they showed the TV taping last week, that was the FIRST thing that came to my mind was how much they remind me of the Osteen couple.

And I have to give props to the actor who plays Ginger. She has always had a very limited role in the series, and her character isn't exactly likable, but she does a DAMN good job portraying her. Very realistic.

User Tag List