True Blood!!!!!!! - Show & Book Discussion & Comparison - Please use the [spoiler][/spoiler] tags! - Page 6 - Mothering Forums

#151 of 411 Old 07-15-2009, 12:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CallMeMommy View Post
Okay, maybe I haven't been watching long enough (I *just* got HBO, actually for the sole purpose of watching True Blood but Eric reminds me of a skinny Bill Pullman. It irritates me. Maybe if I can catch some season 1 episodes I'd change my mind, but I don't know.
Ok - I totally thought you were crazy when You wrote that about Eirc, but then I watched for it...and yep, skinny Bill Pullman....without the twinkle in his eye Bill Pullman always seems to have...a character thing though - Eric's dead the characters Bill Pullman has played aren't...

Quote:
Originally Posted by magstphil View Post
Eric does? I think you mean Bill? Eric is the former viking blond big slab of meat. Not exactly screaming Bill Pullman to me
Watch for it....you'll see it. I betcha!

"Hey, mama!" to the fried dough lovin', monkey-boy.joy.gifI'm back and ready to chat!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#152 of 411 Old 07-16-2009, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeliphish View Post
holy crap someone please pm me the horrible revelation about bill!!!
me too!!!!!

Mom to DS, born fall 05 after ,,, wife/best friend to DH We have
#153 of 411 Old 07-16-2009, 04:23 PM

Concerning the Scratcher - I was surprised and then not, when I saw that espisode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkHorseMama View Post
The maenad's role is somewhat different in the book. Her presence isn't as well explained in the tv version. I told DH that I had been suspecting that the whole "orgy" scene....sex, violence, food/alcohol gorging, etc are the impetus that provides Maryann with the energy to enact her physical changes (the maenad doesn't change forms like that in the book). That particular being thrives on the Bacchanalia gorging lifestyle (they were followers of Bacchus), so she feeds her powers through that energy. Not sure about the whole uber-dialated eyes thing they show on the humans at these orgies, other than it being a symbolic marker for those who get carried off in the frenzied lusts.
Ok, now things are starting to make more sense to me. I didn't read the books (yet).

#154 of 411 Old 07-16-2009, 08:20 PM

Quote:
"I would appriciate it if you tell your friends ????????"

Bill: "That would be wise"
I think what Lafayette was saying is that they should pretend that Lafayette had been away on vacation, having a good time somewhere, and that Bill should tell all the other vampires this rather than saying what had really happened. Lafayette just wanted to be done with that scene, left alone...and Bill agreed that was for the
best ....Of course, I don't think Eric's going to let that happen....

I have retired from administration work, so if you have a question about anything MDC-related, please contact Cynthia Mosher. Thanks!

#155 of 411 Old 07-19-2009, 04:47 PM

Nerd alert--I'm planning my schedule to make sure I'm ready for tonight's episode :

I have retired from administration work, so if you have a question about anything MDC-related, please contact Cynthia Mosher. Thanks!

#156 of 411 Old 07-20-2009, 02:53 AM

Soooooo... Bill's maker is back already, eh? That's not in book 2, is it? Hhhmmm...

(I love this show!)

--"Mama Bear" : to DD 8/06
Tree-hugging :, queer-loving , liberal, feminist hippie mom! :
#157 of 411 Old 07-20-2009, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBluebird View Post
Soooooo... Bill's maker is back already, eh? That's not in book 2, is it? Hhhmmm...

(I love this show!)
No it's book 3 at least (Club Dead?) and also Godric as Eric's maker.... interesting! Interesting to see a bit of Eric's background.

Was I the only one who has read the books who yelled "that's Stan??!!!!" when they called him by name? Totally not who I was envisioning.

I am wondering where they are going with Barry.

Daphne bothers me.

I was laughing my butt off when Jason and crazy preacher man were looking at the weapons.

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif
#158 of 411 Old 07-20-2009, 10:03 AM

Yes, they seem to have replaced Stan with a more television-friendly product. Kinda hard to see Bill Gates and think "ooooo....nasty vampire!"

And so spot on with Alan Ball, the bathtub scene with Sarah and Jason. The whole religion/sex mashed-up tangle that he loves to knot up.

I don't mind Godric being Eric's maker....I imagined they were leading up to that the way Bill kept making noise why it was so important. The scene of Eric being turned was a nice touch. I did have a continuity problem with Godric telling him that he watched him on the battlefield. Can't recall if he specifically said "today" or not. Have to go back and see exactly what he said. But, whatever, it didn't ring true to me because "today" would have been daylight, which of course Godric would not have seen.

An Official, Approved Signatureâ¢
#159 of 411 Old 07-20-2009, 10:15 AM

Godric watched Eric on the battlefield "last night". So, no daylight issues with that.
That was definitely not the Stan from the book. I like book Stan better.
Sookie is just getting more and more annoying. She makes me cringe.
Daphne bothers me, too. Blech.
Waiting to see how things unfold with Maryann...
#160 of 411 Old 07-20-2009, 11:49 AM

Does anyone else think Hoyt is just the cutest thing ever? He's friggin' adorable, I love him. The little faces he was making when he was on the phone with Jessica, he's so in puppy-love with her.

Single mom to 3 boys
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#161 of 411 Old 07-20-2009, 12:47 PM

Why did Eric invite Bill's maker back? It seems to me that Eric has some sort of respect and liking for Sookie...i could be wrong though.

Blessed with two BEAUTIFUL little girls: Kylie (09/06) and Maggie (4/09) :
#162 of 411 Old 07-20-2009, 05:34 PM

Hoyt is adorable!!

Sookie even annoys me in the book. But seeing her physically I always want to redress her, brush her hair, and wipe off her makeup.

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif
#163 of 411 Old 07-23-2009, 04:51 PM

I am up to book #6 in the series and finally checked out episodes 1 and 2 of True Blood. I must say I am disapointed. I know there is sex and violence in the series. Afterall,the books are about vampires and they are not for children, however in True Blood there a lot more of both,a whole lot more.It leaves nothing to the imagination. I wonder if Charlaine Harris is happy with the filming.
#164 of 411 Old 07-23-2009, 09:35 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I don't know but, I wouldn't be thrilled if I were her. They're taking inconsequential events and characters and creating story lines that have absolutely nothing to do with the books.

In the books, everything revolves around Sookie. In the series, she seems to be a secondary character.

I'm not caring for the series at all.
#165 of 411 Old 07-23-2009, 10:25 PM

I definitely prefer the show to the books. I really enjoy diving into each character's life.
There's plenty of sex and violence in the books. It doesn't seem like more in the show to me; it's just easier to skip over it or not imagine the gory details when you're reading.

I don't care for Sookie - in the books or on the show. And I wouldn't mind less of her. But, I don't see how she can be considered a secondary character on the show. I don't get that feeling at all.
#166 of 411 Old 07-23-2009, 10:33 PM

Sookie really bugs me, but I think Anna Paquin has her down pat.
#167 of 411 Old 07-23-2009, 11:55 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
On the last episode, we barely saw her. It's all about the brother and the church stuff. He's barely mentioned in the early books.
#168 of 411 Old 07-24-2009, 03:02 AM

I'm sure that Alan Ball and the production never intended to follow the storyline exactly, nor should they. No book-to-movie/TV translation could realistically ever be exactly the same. It is stated up front in the credits that the tv series is BASED on the book series. I don't think it should be expected that they will be verbatim.

I *love* that Alan Ball expanded the character of Lafayette and found such a perfect actor to fill that role. When Lafayette returned for this second season I was thrilled that the series didn't match the book. I didn't care for the addition of Jessica's character in the beginning, but she's starting to grow on me more and more. She never even appeared in the books. I wish they could include Bubba....but they've said they could not feasibly find a way to include him that would do the character justice. Also, the tap-dancing that Charlaine Harris has done around the identity in the book would be immediately thrust into the open and there could be licensing fees that may need to be paid to the estate of Elvis. (Don't know for sure, entertainment law is not my expertise)

As someone who has read the book series, I'm glad there are new characters and somewhat different storylines on the tv series. It keeps things interesting!

#169 of 411 Old 07-24-2009, 03:05 AM

Oh, and a dear friend from my college days WAS Sookie Stackhouse. The look and the character down to an absolute "T". Bearing in mind, this was 15-18 years ago, there is no way she could have affected a role. It's one reason Anna Paquin's characterization has always rang very true with me...it's truly like looking at and hearing my friend from so many years ago. Those who have said that her character seems fake are certainly welcome to their opinions, but for me it is very realistic of a particular individual in my life.

#170 of 411 Old 07-24-2009, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amcal View Post
I don't know but, I wouldn't be thrilled if I were her. They're taking inconsequential events and characters and creating story lines that have absolutely nothing to do with the books.

In the books, everything revolves around Sookie. In the series, she seems to be a secondary character.

As Charlaine Harris said in an interview Alan Ball is taking the series and making it his own. I don't think she minds that much or she wouldn't have allowed the show in the first place. I'm also sure she is enjoying the royalties.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotusdebi View Post
I definitely prefer the show to the books. I really enjoy diving into each character's life.
There's plenty of sex and violence in the books. It doesn't seem like more in the show to me; it's just easier to skip over it or not imagine the gory details when you're reading.

I don't care for Sookie - in the books or on the show. And I wouldn't mind less of her. But, I don't see how she can be considered a secondary character on the show. I don't get that feeling at all.

I also don't mind that there is less of her. I am stalled on book 7 right now because I am just so over her. I wish the books would shift gears too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipse View Post
Sookie really bugs me, but I think Anna Paquin has her down pat.
I agree. I love Anna Paquin too. She has the annoying attitude of Sookie down for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkHorseMama View Post
As someone who has read the book series, I'm glad there are new characters and somewhat different storylines on the tv series. It keeps things interesting!
Yup! Charlaine Harris writes really fluffy mysteries that are great for a weekend read. I appreciate and prefer the depth Alan Ball has brought to the series.

Which is funny because I am usually a follow the book! type of person. In this case though what an improvement! The books are fun but the series scratches an itch.

#171 of 411 Old 07-25-2009, 10:42 PM

A sneak peak of the remainder of Season Two has been uploaded to HBO's website. It was just debuted at ComicCon, and now can be seen online as well.

http://www.hbo.com/trueblood/video.h...Object=7293763

Obviously, for the purists who don't want any spoilers of upcoming events, you would want to avoid this. But it is the official HBO release, so it isn't going to have complete revelations....just teasers.

Warning :: Spoiler Ahead! Highlight to read message!
I did notice Sookie in bed with a blonde....Eric perhaps?

#172 of 411 Old 07-26-2009, 04:34 PM

OOoooooOOOOOoooooh!!!

"Trust me." Yum!

#173 of 411 Old 07-27-2009, 02:53 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
What's gonna happen now.....??

: Robyn : Increasingly crunchy Mama to Kya (8) , Makena (7) , and Keegan (4) :
#174 of 411 Old 07-27-2009, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amcal View Post

i've read through book #8. i usually like books better than shows/movies, but in this case, i'm enjoying the show, too. and i think it is because the show is taking so many liberties--going off on story lines, new characters, changing characters, etc. i think if they tried to follow the books exactly, they'd come up short for me. i really like not knowing what is going to happen next.

with that said--i think season 2 is a lot better than season 1.

dd 10.06joy.gif
#175 of 411 Old 07-27-2009, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia View Post
OOoooooOOOOOoooooh!!!

"Trust me." Yum!
hubba hubba. yay!

dd 10.06joy.gif
#176 of 411 Old 07-28-2009, 02:56 AM

Tivo is on the fritz, where can i see the episode on-line?
#177 of 411 Old 07-28-2009, 09:19 AM

http://watchtrueblood.com shares several links to uploaded episodes.

Wife of 1. Mom of 3. Conquering disability challenges, one achievement at a time.

#178 of 411 Old 07-28-2009, 10:44 AM

OMG I feel like I'm going to explode waiting for Sunday!!!!!!! Please someone give me some spoilers!!! Is Daphne under MaryAnn's spell? What in the hell do they want with Sam? Why is my hunk of a man Eric trying to get in between Sookie and Bill? Was that him on the alter getting ready to be burned? I am guessing they have Eric's maker....

Blessed with two BEAUTIFUL little girls: Kylie (09/06) and Maggie (4/09) :
#179 of 411 Old 07-28-2009, 01:59 PM

WOW - thanks for the link.
#180 of 411 Old 07-29-2009, 10:56 AM

Anyone have a prediction on what is going to happen when Sookie comes home to find Maryann has taken over her house?

And Eggs and Tara's walk in the woods, that was weird. Whats up with that?

The whole church thing was starting to annoy me but after this week, I am interested again.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page