American Idol - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-04-2004, 11:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I missed Monday, too!

That guy Alan made me ill. He's incredible to look at, but he should just shut up and stand there...

Did anyone else notice Kiira's "trailer trash" comment while crying in the elevator, and see the way her dad elbowed her as though to say, "Shut up, sweetheart..."?

I felt so bad for all the ones who forgot their words, especially the girl who said she wasn't going to mess up!

Oh, and the girl with the short hair who said, "I don't dance?" At first I thought her "I'm a white girl, I don't dance" comment was funny - you know, like she was poking fun at herself for having no rhythm, but then when they showed that her groupmates were both African-American and she went on to say how she has nothing in common with them, and she doesn't even know their names...it gave me a bad feeling. I could be wrong, sure, but it just bugged me.

I LOVE Fantasia - I think she is so talented!!! And with a name like that, she's bound to be a star!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2004, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Amywillo
Then the other Kiira, the blonde 16 year old, I thought she was pretty bad. When she said that she knew she'd make it because of her voice--there's nothing like it--I was LOL. Yeah, that's for sure!

I remember there was an Asian guy early on who made it through, but I never saw him again. His last name was Nguyen, I remember that much.
Amy that is exactly what I siad out loud THAT's FOR SURE!:LOL I thought she was terrible too. And I do think that the Asian guy you are talking about is the one that I liked alot. I was very sorry to see him go

Claudia, was Monday's show in the TV guide? I didn't see it and am so mad. I have no idea who this heavy red headed girl is???? And the Firefighter guy is a really cute buff guy.

I think that the ppl who elected to get some sleep are super smart. If they were to sing all night into the next morning, especially since I am guessing that most of these ppl have absolutely no training, their voices would be shot when they needed it the most. The Rose Bowl guy was smart, sleep when you can, eat when you can and practice when necessary. As mothers we all know what lack of sleep does to us :LOL and they needed to really be on the ball that next day!

We may not have it all together, but together we have it all
Old 02-04-2004, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by smittenmom
The other highlight was the hottie who sat next to Paula to sing. She was right--he's going to make all the girls swoon!
Okay, I have to take this back. After last night's spectacle, I think the smilie that most accurately describes Alan is this one: : or even this one: :Puke

Soccermom, the red-headed girl was on a bunch of promos singing outside with her head thrown back. The song started out "You treated me kind...." I noticed her on the promos because her voice is really strong and clear. I like her, but unfortunately I don't think she'll win. I don't think that she needs to lose weight in general, but to be a pop star in this day and age... well, she'd probably have to be thin. Hate to say it, but it's true.

Quote:
Oh, and the girl with the short hair who said, "I don't dance?" At first I thought her "I'm a white girl, I don't dance" comment was funny - you know, like she was poking fun at herself for having no rhythm, but then when they showed that her groupmates were both African-American and she went on to say how she has nothing in common with them, and she doesn't even know their names...it gave me a bad feeling. I could be wrong, sure, but it just bugged me.
I absolutely love this girl. She seems like she'd be fun to hang out with. I hadn't thought about her comments in that way at all. Hmmm. I don't think she'll win either, because of her image, but I think she could definitely make a career out of singing in a different genre.
Old 02-04-2004, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by smittenmom

Soccermom, the red-headed girl was on a bunch of promos singing outside with her head thrown back. The song started out "You treated me kind...." I noticed her on the promos because her voice is really strong and clear. I like her, but unfortunately I don't think she'll win. I don't think that she needs to lose weight in general, but to be a pop star in this day and age... well, she'd probably have to be thin. Hate to say it, but it's true.

How about Kimberly Locke?? She came in third in the last season, and was a LOT bigger than this girl. I don't get it. And how about Ruben. Talk about double standards :

(btw, I am not getting at you smittenmom, this is a general rant )
Old 02-05-2004, 12:12 AM

I can only TiVo the first half of American Idol because they have it showing from 8:30-9:30 tonight and Angel is on from 9:00-10:00!!!!!!!!! And Cordelia is waking up from her coma tonight!!!!!!!! So I welcome any spoilers (or PMS) about who got booted out...

warmly,
claudia
Old 02-05-2004, 03:42 AM

Lets see.....who got booted........

Scooter Girl is gone..........and.........uhm.........thats all I remember. The people who got booted were weird. Even weirder was that those brothers stayed...the people left are a really odd mix. I'm really wondering whats gonna happen now that voting starts..........
Old 02-05-2004, 04:36 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I CAN'T BELIEVE they cut Scootergirl and that Michael guy with the amazing voice. ARGH!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-05-2004, 04:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally posted by LunaMom
but then when they showed that her groupmates were both African-American and she went on to say how she has nothing in common with them, and she doesn't even know their names...it gave me a bad feeling. I could be wrong, sure, but it just bugged me.
I thought the same exact thing. I don't know if she meant it to sound like that, but she comes off as a separatist. Perhaps she is more in the sense of her sexual orientation and feels ill at ease with them for other reasons, but whatever, I thought it was kind of a rude thing for her to say.

I really wish that they had shown her groups singing. She made it through to the final cut, so they must have been OK.

It is weird how they pick certain people to follow and you know some will remain and some will go. But then there are others making the cut all along and we never see them. I finally saw Lisa (the red-haired girl that Simon said needed to lose weight) and she was in the final 32. I wish there was a way to go back and see a lot more from each contestant that made it--do you think they'll ever release it on DVD?

Was anyone else disappointed by who got to stay? Both the Roman brothers? Come on! Oh wait, I see that anothermama thought it was strange too. I noticed tonight there was a 16 year old boy from Dumfries, VA, and I was really hoping he'd make it because he sounded like he had a good voice in spite of forgetting the words. Then both the Roman brothers forgot the words, and I didn't think Jesus had that great of a voice. George really stepped up to the plate and then Matt (the football guy, I think that was his name) was really good too. Jesus was out of tune in addition to forgetting the words, so I was surprised when he made the next cut. He must have come back strongly in the last round.
Old 02-05-2004, 04:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by juicylucy
How about Kimberly Locke?? She came in third in the last season, and was a LOT bigger than this girl. I don't get it. And how about Ruben. Talk about double standards :
Kimberley Locke had a different kind of image, though. We knew she was overweight and it worked for her on some level. I think the issue with Lisa Leuschner is that she almost looks thin, she's just a little heavy in some places so maybe it comes across more as flab, I don't know. Frankly the Lana girl was no skinny minnie either, nor is Jennifer Hudson. Anyway, I think Simon did harp on Kim Locke about her weight for awhile.
Old 02-05-2004, 05:28 AM - Thread Starter

I was surprised they cut Michael too. I mean, OK, he didn't impress them, but the young red-haired guy, John, didn't impress me that much. I thought Michael was better.

When Nicole (scooter girl), Amy (with the pink hair), Lana and Sara (the girl that Simon liked) came out and did their bit, I thought that Nicole definitely should be doing stage shows. The other girl started singing and her voice was kind of soft but good, then Amy started up and sounded like Celine Dion to me, then Lana tanked. Amy was criticized as also being too Broadway, but I didn't think so. I don't care for Celine Dion, but she is definitely considered a pop diva. It was funny that Amy sang a Celine Dion song as it definitely played up to her strengths. I thought Nicole did a great job changing her image and definitely sounded more pop to me in her solo, but then they criticized her. But then Randy and Paula really liked the Bulgarian girl and I didn't think she was that good. The thing about Nicole is that she is kind of strange looking with the white hair, white face and bright red lipstick.

What was up with that Meleana chick? At least Briana could admit she had nothing in common with her group, but she put in the work. Meleana just totally ditched her two group mates.

Jennifer Hudson and Fantasia both forgot their words in the group, but they did it with style. I'm surprised that Simon hasn't told Jennifer to lose weight yet.

OK, so who made it? I tried to go to the Fox website, but they haven't updated it yet so I'll rewatch the end and see if I can figure it out. Matt (football guy), the girl in the elevator, John (the red-haired 16 year old), Lisa Wilson (pool girl), John Peter Lewis (the pen salesman), the Roman brothers, Elizabeth (stretchy leg girl), Lisa Leuschner, Amy (pink hair), Jennifer (cruise ship), Fantasia (lips), Briana, Diana DeGarmo (pink and black girl) were among those who made it.

George, Nicole, Alan, Sarah Silva, Kira and I think the other Sara got cut.

The 8 singing next week: Fantasia Barrino, Diana Degarmo, Jennifer Hudson, Marque Lynch, Matthew Metzger, Ashely Thomas, Erskine Walcott and Katie Webber.

I don't know why I watch this show. It's a time sucker. Not the actual watching of it, the talking about it afterwards. :LOL
Old 02-05-2004, 05:45 AM

Quote:
I thought Nicole did a great job changing her image and definitely sounded more pop to me in her solo, but then they criticized her.
I know! That made me so mad and then they cut her anyway! WTH?

Quote:
What was up with that Meleana chick?
Total snot, deserved to get cut.

Quote:
OK, so who made it?
They're not exactly revealing that yet. Grrr.
Old 02-05-2004, 03:51 PM

i miss scooter girl. that really confuses me that she got cut, but pool girl made it. am i the only one who does not understand why pool girl and allen are still there, other than their looks? oh, wait... :

their decisions didn't make a lot of sense to me...
i'm glad brianna is in, i like her...and the red head john, and the football player...
Old 02-05-2004, 04:20 PM

oops, i was wrong, allen is no longer there.

http://www.idolonfox.com/contestants/index_24.htm

i am such a dork.
Old 02-05-2004, 05:51 PM

anyone else think John Peter Lewis, aka pen salesman, is a cutie?
Old 02-05-2004, 07:37 PM

So, as listed by someone else above, the 8 contestants for next week are:

Fantasia Barrino
High Point, NC

Diana DeGarmo
Snellville, GA

Jennifer Hudson
Chicago, IL

Marque Lynche
New York, NY

Matthew Metzger
Oxford, OH

Ashley Thomas
Irvine, CA

Erskine Walcott
Las Vegas, NV

Katie Webber
Santa Cruz, CA

You can see their pictures here

The other 24 can be seen here. They include Amy (with pink hair), Bre (unabashed and opinionated with spiky hair), Charly (Native American), Donnie (who looks older than he is), Elizabeth (flexible, stretching girl), Eric (he looks soooooooooo familiar...), Jesus & Noel Roman (the twins), John (the young red haired kid), John Peter (who looks like a pen salesman and/ or Merry the hobbit from Lord of the Rings -- and yes, I think he's a cutie so now let's hear him sing!), Jonah (the Hawaiian Ruben -- did they say Mahalo enough times in their group performance yesterday???), Leah (of Bulgarian background), Lisa L. (red-haired girl who Simon told she needs to lose weight), Lisa W. (pool girl), and Matthew (the football player). There are others, but I don't think we've experienced their singing yet.

According to my TiVo guide, the singing show next week is from 8-9pm, and they will select 2 performers to go to the finals from 8:30-9pm on Wednesday. Which will leave them with 8 finalists. Hmm... another wildcard competition to bring the finalist number to 10? or maybe another final 12, with each judge picking their favorite and audiences picking a wildcard?

It's kind of pathetic that I'm so into this show... I am 30 years old, after all... You'd think I'd have better things to do... :LOL

warmly,
claudia
Old 02-05-2004, 11:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Yes, I do. I like him.
Old 02-05-2004, 11:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by TurboClaudia

Charly (Native American)
Oh good, I'm glad she made it. I couldn't tell.

I hope they bring Michael back for the wild card.
Old 02-06-2004, 01:39 AM

"anyone else think John Peter Lewis, aka pen salesman, is a cutie? "

ME ! ME ! ME !
he makes me all shivery!!!!
especially since he sang a VAN MORRISON song for his first audition...i totally melted right there!
i loved scootergirl- they suck for cutting her!
and the redheaded "fat" girl- that gets me mad...she is so not fat..MANY people on that show are overwieght, but i really didnt think she was at all!! she is perfect, i would love her body, curvy but slim and shes beautiful, with a great voice. i like her!
(maybe im partial to redheads since i am one!)

mdcblog5.gif   Liz mama to DS 10, DSS 9, DD 6, DS 3, DD 2 , Aquila- dec 19th 2009 died at my homebirth, and....welcome Willow born 9-16-10 (9 weeks early)  nut.gif
Old 02-06-2004, 05:14 PM

Quote:
ME!!! ME!!! I think he is adorable.

Ok I just looked at the final 32 and while I am happy that some made it others I am like I mean there were plenty of others who were better. Again, do they let in some that are not that great so that they can say rude things to them???? Also who is poor girl? :LOL Where did that name come from? I also agree that both the Roman brothers should be O U T !!!! I think that Fantasia , Jon, or Amy will take it all the way. And while I liked the red headed 16 year old John I just don't think he is ready. I mean COME ON they should NOT have had any problem learning the words to one song, period. I understood when they wrote their own, but not one that all they needed to do was learn 1/3. Very bad!

Old 02-11-2004, 12:08 AM

Go Fantasia!
Who do you think is going to the top 12 with her?
Old 02-11-2004, 12:48 AM

Fantasia rocked the house tonite, I don't think she's AM.Idol material...... she's better.....
Old 02-11-2004, 01:18 AM

Ok I think Fantasia is great, not the kind of voice I personally love but she is amazing. I would have hated to be in her group, because lets face it there would only really be one spot open then. I would like to see from tonight the first girl, deanna? go. By far she was the best of the rest. She was in tune, strong, got the audience going and the only other one to be told by all three that she was great.

Don't know who will be in the top 12 but these 2 deserve it.

OT on Entertainement Tonight they did a spot on William, She Bangs :LOL and it was cute and funny.

Old 02-11-2004, 02:02 AM

I'm sorry. I did NOT like Fantasia. I was hating it!!!

I did however, like #3, who did Crazy....

And the guy who sang Journey. Loved him!
Old 02-11-2004, 03:22 AM

doesn't Fantasia (sp?) sound like Tina Turner? she was really good, and strong tonight. I think she deserves to be in the top 12, even if her style of voice isn't my favorite.

its so hard to chose who I'd want to go through, the first 2 people were good....then the girl with the big afro (she wore the "turkey outfit" (aka, silver foil looking thing) has a really fun personality, I'd love to see her go through.

tonight's show was really good....much better than last year's performances at this point in the game. I think people are really taking it seriously this year.
Old 02-11-2004, 05:24 PM

I loved the girl with the afro too. She is so cute, and the other girl that sang crazy was awesome, I thought and they put her down????? The first girl was really good too, but there are a lot of good ones
Old 02-11-2004, 06:00 PM

Fantasia is definitely moving on.. I love her voice 'cause it's different, and she's completely comfortable onstage.

I think Katie might go on too. I was ready to dislike her 'cause she's too 'perfect', but she actually sounded good.

Diana did a great job, too, but I think she's too immature to win it all. She might go to the top 10 (or is it 12?) but I don't see her winning.

I thought the guys all stunk it up. I'm upset with Matthew (?) for slaughtering Walking in Memphis. Dude, you will never compare to Marc Cohn.
Old 02-11-2004, 08:14 PM

Ok my take on the whole thing is that they are all talented. If I heard most of them at a karoke bar I would think they were great. But the fact is almost all of them are really not good enough to sell me a record. While I thought that Katie and Ashley ( Crazy) were good singers they weren't GREAT singers. I also thought that Ashley's choice of outfit sucked, what WAS that?

I don't like Fantasia, but she is good, not my type of Macy Gray thing going on. And I thought that Diana was super! Plus they were the only 2 not told bad things by any of the three. I also like that now they have an audience for this portion. It really helps a singer to get into it and it is soooo much better then just looking at Simon scowling at you :LOL I can't wait to see who they put through tonight. I tried to vote for Diana but the line was always busy, never underestimate the power of a High School phone chain!

Old 02-11-2004, 10:03 PM

Soccermom... hold that phone call... I think you are getting Fantasia and Dianna mixed up. Dianna has the big hair and Fantasia sang somethin' to talk about. I would never buy any of the American Idol records truthfully. LOL. I just like the show. Remember that they get better and better as they go on too. We might be surprised.
Old 02-12-2004, 04:43 AM - Thread Starter

I thought they were all good, better than last year where some of the singers in the groups of 8 were bad. I really didn't care for Ashley, the 3rd person who sang Crazy--not my cup of tea. I will say, though, that Crazy is a pretty easy song to sing and she did some interesting things with it and made it more unique and challenging. I just don't care for her voice. So I was playing it back on TiVo and Molly started watching. She wanted to hear them sing. She listened to the little excerpts at the end and said she liked the girl with the light pink shirt the best. And guess who that was? Ashley! She also liked Matthew Metzger and the girl in the "striped dress, striped like a zebra." I liked her too and thought she did a great job, but it just wasn't quite right for AI. I ended up voting for the people that Molly liked, and I voted for the ones I liked, so I think I voted for everyone.

I honestly think that Molly liked Ashley because of the blonde hair and pink shirt. Should I be worried that three singers she liked were blonde? She first asked to dye her hair blonde when she was 3.

My favorites were Dianna, Katie, Erskine, Jennifer and Fantasia. Fantasia's performance wasn't my favorite, but she looks so natural like she's not really trying hard at all, which I like.
Old 02-12-2004, 04:57 AM

I thought Fantasia was good but she sounds like Nell Carter to me.
The 16 year old had a great voice for her age but Jennifer was the best singer out of all of them and she did a great job with Imagine.
Maybe she will get the wild card...

User Tag List