American Idol - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-19-2004, 03:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
For those of you who didn't see Camile do her audition, she was really good. She sang an old Lauren Hill song and she is VERY good with keeping a beat A Capela, sp???, Anyways, I didn't like her song choice, on this past show, but you could kind of hear her style and tone. What I like about her is that I believe she's untrained,and she's shy in an innocent and fresh way. I don't think she's ever sang for audiences. That did suck though, the way the groups were set up, and those brothers,, how horrible was that?????? Scooter girl was so much better than them. There's so many good one's that were left out of the final bunch, how are they possibly going to pick one wild card????? I love the girl that sang Imagine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2004, 04:22 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks amy for explaining the process. So how many pairs of people have been chosen? How many groups have we gone thru?
Old 02-19-2004, 04:57 PM

The little red haired girl didn't get picked because America doesn't like larger women. I think it's as simple as that, sorry to say. I thought she was cute and good.
L
Old 02-19-2004, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DreamsInDigital
I was so surprised Matthew made it instead of Lisa. The judges dissed him hard and they, sort of, complimented Lisa. I totally love Camile, though.
I thought Marisa was going to make it through. My picks for the top three were Marisa, Camile and Lisa. Hmm.
I felt this way too. I was really mad that he made it. He was not good enough and Lisa totally was. I wonder if they really took votes or they felt they had to let a guy in??? I mean look the first two shows it was only women that really did a good job, all the men were not so hot. I just wonder if it is really rigged.

T I saw Ruben Studdards video last night for Sorry ( I think that is the name of the song) and let me just say that they SO tweaked his voice in the studio! He NEVER sounded like that in person. I fell bad that Clay got the shaft, dork yes, but the guy has one set of pipes! I also wonder why it is Kelly Clarkson and CLAY on tour and not Ruben??? Makes ya wonder?

We may not have it all together, but together we have it all
Old 02-19-2004, 09:21 PM

I liked Camille. I hope she works on her pronounciation of words. Did you notice how she left off the ends of words? If she wears another off the shoulder shirt, I'm calling the fashion police. It reminds me of a swimsuit with a cover. She's on the mainland now.

Bri looked like she had no make up on and her eyeliner had kind of a "I slept in my make-up and this is what's leftover from yesterday" look. Where was her wardrobe/makeup helper? Suspender's all the time?? Everyday? Someone call fashion rescue 911...this is a fashion emergency.

I think that when you sing a song that is currently on the radio it puts you at a disadvantage unless you can sing the song better than the artist who is singing it now. Everyone has the song in their head the way it is on the radio. Older songs are safer to sing I think, because people aren't comparing your voice to the artists as much.

I agree that some of last weeks group were robbed. Hopefully the wildcard show will bring some justice to this situation. Looks like there is a chance William could be a wildcard, I mean, he is taking voice lessons and working very hard. Anythings possible. My advise for William.....lose the backpack.
Old 02-19-2004, 11:05 PM

Quote:
My advise for William.....lose the backpack.
he's an engineering student, he has no choice (my dh still carries his around everywhere. not sure what is up with that!)

soccermom, i thought that too about ruben's voice. glad to hear i'm not the only one.

yeah, i'm upset that rose bowl got in too. total popularity contest.
Old 02-19-2004, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mamaley
he's an engineering student, he has no choice (my dh still carries his around everywhere. not sure what is up with that!)
...<snip>...
yeah, i'm upset that rose bowl got in too. total popularity contest.
What is it with engineering geeks and backpacks? My partner's laptop bag is a backpack, and so is his golf bag!

I think Matt (the football guy) got the huggable-teddy-bear vote. It's very cute how emotional he is, though.

warmly,
claudia
Old 02-20-2004, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bestbirths
I liked Camille. I hope she works on her pronounciation of words. Did you notice how she left off the ends of words? If she wears another off the shoulder shirt, I'm calling the fashion police. It reminds me of a swimsuit with a cover. She's on the mainland now.

Bri looked like she had no make up on and her eyeliner had kind of a "I slept in my make-up and this is what's leftover from yesterday" look. Where was her wardrobe/makeup helper? Suspender's all the time?? Everyday? Someone call fashion rescue 911...this is a fashion emergency.

I think that when you sing a song that is currently on the radio it puts you at a disadvantage unless you can sing the song better than the artist who is singing it now. Everyone has the song in their head the way it is on the radio. Older songs are safer to sing I think, because people aren't comparing your voice to the artists as much.

I agree that some of last weeks group were robbed. Hopefully the wildcard show will bring some justice to this situation. Looks like there is a chance William could be a wildcard, I mean, he is taking voice lessons and working very hard. Anythings possible. My advise for William.....lose the backpack.
Sorry, but I love Camille's island look. It's cute! I don't want her to lose her style just b/c she's on the mainland. And as far as Bri goes, maybe I'm just from the Bay Area, but having a large circle of lesbian friends, suspenders every day doesn't seems weird to me. It's her style and I think it's really cute. If I wanted to see the same old cute little girl crap I'd watch Mtv. I"m really hoping to see something different this time around. I guess we'll see what we see.

Also, I am so sorry to say, but Clay sucks. I don't think he is anything special. *ducking* I'm not surprised he is doing better than good ol' Ruben, since Ruben is both brown and big. Personally I think he is more talented and I feel like he is different than the same ol' same ol'. Keep in mind my DP owns a record store that has only used vinyl and the rest is local and independent only. So there isn't anything in the top 40 except NOFX, if they've made it there that is.
Old 02-20-2004, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by veganmamma
Also, I am so sorry to say, but Clay sucks. I don't think he is anything special. *ducking* I'm not surprised he is doing better than good ol' Ruben, since Ruben is both brown and big. Personally I think he is more talented and I feel like he is different than the same ol' same ol'.
Ok we will agree to differ but the thing about Clay is that who you heard on the show is who you hear on the record. With Ruben I mean it just does not sound like him??? Plus I have to say I think he used that whole 205 thing to get more votes. I mean you wear it the WHOLE time you are on that show, and then oh thanks I won, I'm not doing it anymore? I have not seen him wear those numbers ever since he won. If I lived in that area code and that was a reason I voted for him I would be pissed and would probably not buy his record either. I also disagree about him not doing as well since he is big and brown. I think he is super cute and obviously Luther never had a problem. I just think ppl feel let down that he doesn't sound the same and maybe betrayed by the #'s thing. Ok I know I spend way too much time thinking about these things!:LOL

Back on topic, I wonder if the judges will change things and let more ppl in the finals so that they can have their faves in???

Old 02-21-2004, 03:57 PM

Quote:
What is it with engineering geeks and backpacks? My partner's laptop bag is a backpack, and so is his golf bag!
:LOL

Yeah, I admit that I was rooting for Matt throughout the whole show so far, until I heard him sing the other night. But I can definitely understand why people like him.

Am I the only one who misses scootergirl?
Old 02-21-2004, 03:58 PM

I liked scooter girl but she was really very Musical Theatre ish...she wasn't as powerful when she tried to be poppy. I don't mean it as an insult to her......she's amazingly talented......just not American Idol material to me.
Old 02-21-2004, 05:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally posted by Bestbirths
I liked Camille. I hope she works on her pronounciation of words. Did you notice how she left off the ends of words?
Yes, and she cut off one of the initial words too. I thought that it could have been nerves, or just an unfamiliarity with proper singing technique. As they go along, they get a lot of vocal coaching, I think, so I think she can really go a long way once they help her out more. She has a lot of talent, IMO.

I like Clay's voice. It was full and clear, but I haven't heard him in awhile. I listened to selections from Ruben's CD at the listening station at Barnes & Noble, and it didn't sound like the Ruben from the show.

Scootergirl was kind of like a female Clay, but not as dorky and a little more Broadway. :LOL
Old 02-25-2004, 02:00 AM

I can't believe that noone has talked about last night's episode. Well I will say that these ppl were WAY better then last weeks. I thought that Latoya was by far the best although a bit screamy at the end, and the next one would be either Leah or Charly. While I thought the guys were better this week they were just very lackluster. Especially the Clay wanna be, and that falsetto sucked if you ask me dawg!

Old 02-25-2004, 02:42 AM

I'm watching it right now, it's on commercial break. I'm digging Amy Adams and waiting for Latoya since she's from Oaktown.
Old 02-25-2004, 02:49 AM

I love Latoya. Wow. WOW!

Second for me is a tie between Elizabeth Latendre and Leah Labelle. I think Leah did a little better on singing, maybe, but Elizabeth had spark. Elizabeth has the disadvantage of being first.

I love Amy Adams. Great voice, great style and personality. I just can't see her being in the top 3 for some reason.

Why did Eric Yodor grab his crotch while talking to Seacrest?

Jon Peter. Hehe.
Old 02-25-2004, 03:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by SoccerMom
I can't believe that noone has talked about last night's episode.
:LOL OK, I'm confused, there wasn't an episode last night, was there? It says you posted at 8 pm my time, which would be 11 pm eastern time, but that would still be Tuesday night, right? Or are you even farther east?

I just now finished watching it, so I was coming to talk about it here. Just can't help myself.

I wasn't a fan of Leah's, but she was good. I wouldn't vote for her, however. I didn't like Eric Yoder, but I did like the pen salesman guy.

I had to rewind and watch some of the performances over again after I heard the judge's commentary. I was thinking Yeah, LaToya's pretty good, then the judges loved her so much I had to listen again, much to my husband's chagrin.
Old 02-25-2004, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Amywillo
:LOL OK, I'm confused, there wasn't an episode last night, was there? It says you posted at 8 pm my time, which would be 11 pm eastern time, but that would still be Tuesday night, right? Or are you even farther east?
: It was 11pm here and there was an episode last night! I am confused now

I didn't like either of the guys. Thought they were dull. I liked Charly second best I think but am still torn btwn her and Leah

Quote:
I love Amy Adams. Great voice, great style and personality. I just can't see her being in the top 3 for some reason.
Really? I thought that she was out of tune alot and I also think she lacks the power on the high notes to go very far. If you are going to do Celine Dion you better smash that thing out of there and she didn't! I thought she was karoke good. JMO

mamaley I agree that being first sucks because alot of ppl forget how you did. She def had spark!

Old 02-26-2004, 02:12 AM

This is what I thought of the performers last night:

Elizabeth- She's pretty good. I didn't like her song choice, though - and there are more deserving people.

Eric- Again, he's pretty good. I'm not diggin the falsetto, though. He does have a Clay-like voice, but her lack charisma. He has never said anything interesting.

Amy- I totally dig this chick. She's smart, funny, witty, and can totally perform. Maybe she doesn't have the BEST voice, but it's pretty good, and the whole package is great.

Jon- Yuck. I hated his voice, and I thought he slaughtered that song. The arrangement sucked, too. His voice is very unpleasant to listen to, IMO.

Charly- She didn't blow me away. Bad song for her to choose, though. It didn't fit her. I thought she was just ok.

Jonah- Sucks. How the hell did he get in the top 32 when people like Sarah Silva and Nicole Tieri were cut? Dh says it's just because they needed some sacrificial lambs.

Leah- Is awesome. She rocks, and her range is awesome. One thing bothers me, though. She used to be "Leah Vladowski" and now she is "Leah Labelle". One can't help but to wonder what/who made her change her name.

LaToya- Amazing. Just awesome. She could get a record deal from that 90-second performance. What a set of pipes.

I hope Amy and LaToya make it though, though I love Leah, too. We'll see....
Old 02-26-2004, 02:42 AM

can we talk about wed's show yet?
Old 02-26-2004, 03:52 AM

Amy and La Toya-- The two people I voted for. Okay, okay, I sent them fan mail too, I am so ashamed.
Old 02-26-2004, 03:54 AM

Quote:
Okay, okay, I sent them fan mail too, I am so ashamed.
Old 02-26-2004, 04:11 PM

Veganmama....you are SOOO silly!!!!!
Old 02-26-2004, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Okay, okay, I sent them fan mail too, I am so ashamed.
:LOL

Hey who cares, it's all in fun!

I am glad that Latoya is in but thought that Leah deserved it WAY more then Amy. That said I am glad that she got in before Jon Peters. Wonder if Matt if going to be the only guy on this show! now THAT would be hilarious!:LOL

I still say that week one had the best ppl, I almost fell out of my chair when Simon said this was the best group so far He needs his hearing checked. Also what is up with Simon and Paula and all the kissing????

Old 02-26-2004, 05:20 PM - Thread Starter

I didn't visit this thread last night as I hadn't watched the show at that point. I wanted to vote for the pen salesman guy, what is his name? John Michael? I ended up forgetting to vote, although I did call once for Elizabeth. I figured Latoya would get plenty of votes without my help. Anyway, I was actually happy to see that Jon Peter made it to the top 3 over Leah as I just didn't care for her. I did feel sorry for her, seeing her crying, but I figure that she will get added back in during the wildcard phase since all 3 judges liked her so much.

I liked Amy but I'm not sure about her. My original feeling is that she is great at impersonating Celine Dion, but does she have any breadth? Then it occurred to me that that is kind of silly, since Celine Dion has made plenty of money as Celine Dion, so why not someone who sounds like Celine over someone who sounds more like Whitney. I guess it all stems from my dislike of Celine Dion's singing style and music. I like Amy's voice a little better than Celine's, so hopefully she will branch out and do really well.

I actually liked Jon Peter and thought he did a reasonably good job, other than the deliberate mispronunciation which I assume is how Elton did it. So maybe he was too mimicky too. Not that I am judging anyone, 'cause that's the way I sing.

I liked that LaToya made the song her own, different from the Eric Carmen version and the Celine and Jamie O'Neal remakes. At least I think it is different from them, but I can't be sure.

Eric I didn't like. I don't think he has near as good a voice as Clay. It sounded like he was really straining at a point, and like there wasn't enough power or flexibility in his voice. I don't know how to describe what I mean, but just like he his vocal cords just need to break free so he can reach his full potential.

I thought Charly was bad from the moment she started singing, and my opinion was in accordance with the judges'. But then yesterday I was playing the show for Molly to see what she thought, and I listened to Charly again and didn't think she was actually that bad.

But then when I listened to Leah again, I liked her even less and I'm not sure why. I didn't care for her voice in the earlier show where Simon said he didn't like it either, so maybe it is just a preferential thing.
Old 02-26-2004, 06:10 PM

Well I think Leah didn't get voted for because she is so affected. She acts like she is entitled, yk? I think ppl just didn't like her personality which is sad because she is talented and cute and has one helluva fashion sense.
Old 02-26-2004, 07:03 PM

veganmama I think that is the thing that bugs me about some of the ppl that vote. They go on how much they like the person and not the talent. Remember Jim Verrano from the first AI? Ppl just liked him but he was AWFUL. I mean yes, if I don't like someone then I am not going to buy their album no matter how good they sing, hello Shania:LOL , but putting ppl through with very little talent is just wrong.

I also wonder how Scooter girl can get the boot and Jonah ( who I think is adorable) can get through?

Old 02-26-2004, 07:06 PM

Yeah, Jonah got put through by the judges though, not the voters. Frankly, if you want to get voted for, you need to act in a way that ppl like you! Amy has lots of talent, and class, and personality. She is a package. Leah isn't quite the ackage everyone is looking for right now. JMO This isn't about who has the best voice or the most talent, it's about who we like best and how many albums we'll buy from them. I'm not buying Leah's album because as cute as she is and as much as I rooted for her in the beginning, she is affected.
Old 02-26-2004, 07:21 PM

Quote:
...Frankly, if you want to get voted for, you need to act in a way that ppl like you! Amy has lots of talent, and class, and personality. She is a package...
Well said. I think when Leah gets a little older, she'll do a lot better, because she's got the voice and the looks.

This week was all about LaToya. Her performace brought tears to my eyes and gave me goose bumps! I felt like such dork, being so moved by American Idol, but I couldn't help it!
Old 02-26-2004, 08:11 PM

To be honest, Tuesday night's singers disappointed me. LaToya did sing better on Wednesday after she was put through to the final 12, but I wasn't terribly impressed. Maybe it's just cause we only get to see one song and maybe it's because we don't know the contestants that well yet and I already know about the previous AI winners/contestants and so my expectation is there... I'm not sure...

So far, though, no one has really wowed me except for Diana the very first singer the very first night.

*doo de doo* twiddling my fingers waiting for the real fun to start *

warmly,
claudia
Old 02-26-2004, 08:34 PM

I wasn't that impressed with this group, either. The first week's singers were way better. I still think Jennifer hudson got robbed. She had better be a wild card pick.

I like Amy Adams, but my dh pointed out that her high notes were a little weak last night - he didn't see Tuesday's show, though - could have just been nerves. I hate her pink hair, though - it's just silly.

I felt bad for Leah (anyone else notice her name change? She is the "other Bulgarian singer - remember that awful one in the first auditions who sounded like a man??? Anyway, Leah had a longer, Bulgarian name and now she's using "LaBelle" - not too original) - I thought she was pretty good, wayyyyy better that the pen salesman, who I really thought was TERRIBLE. I don't understand how so many lousy singers are getting through over good ones this season. I feel like there's some sort of conspiracy!!! Look at how Matt Rogers got in over the redheaded girl, what was her name, last week. She was the only really good one that week, too.

I still think Fantasia is going to kick everyone's a$$ later on.

User Tag List