American Idol - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 220 Old 01-19-2004, 05:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Well, I wasn't going to watch, but I just can't help myself. It's set up on TiVo now. I heard an interview with Simon on NPR the other day, and that was pretty interesting. So who is with me?
#2 of 220 Old 01-19-2004, 11:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oh yeh, I am with ya!

And I will undoubtedly have yet another "seasonal crush" on the ornery, but still somehow handsome, Simon C. during the entire escapade.

#3 of 220 Old 01-19-2004, 02:42 PM

Dh is with ya. Its not my thing, but he'll be watching every episode he can catch.
#4 of 220 Old 01-19-2004, 05:05 PM

5 hours and counting!
#5 of 220 Old 01-19-2004, 05:17 PM

last year i picked clay aiken right away, i was so amazed at the VOICE that came out of that nerdy little body. clay & reuben were my favorites all along.

i didn't watch the first season but i hope this year has some great standouts from episode one. joe & i will pop popcorn & watch faithfully.
#6 of 220 Old 01-19-2004, 07:20 PM

We're with ya, too! But thank goodness for the TiVo: we watch it about 10-15 minutes delayed so we don't have sit through all the cheesy Coke, AT&T and Fox commercials.

I heard part of the interview with Simon Cowell on NPR, and it actually sounded very interesting and minus his usual arrogance. Maybe the elimination of the visual aspect (him seeing himself on the monitors) took away some of that???

By the way, I'm totally nosy and try to find out who gets eliminated each week before the broadcast in our area (grrrrr..... Pacific Time Zone), so if anyone wants to foster my curiosity and be my new best friend , I love spoilers!

warmly,
claudia
mama-to-be in late spring 2004!
#7 of 220 Old 01-19-2004, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TurboClaudia

By the way, I'm totally nosy and try to find out who gets eliminated each week before the broadcast in our area (grrrrr..... Pacific Time Zone), so if anyone wants to foster my curiosity and be my new best friend , I love spoilers!

warmly,
claudia
mama-to-be in late spring 2004!
well, I'm on the west coast as well, and HATE spoilers! But I guess as long as they are not in a subject line...

I can't wait... I love the auditions. Sweet Simon.
#8 of 220 Old 01-19-2004, 09:13 PM

So glad I found this thread! I am totally addicted to AI! Now that I am a SAHM I don't have all my friends at work to talk about it with. And I hate spoilers too.
#9 of 220 Old 01-19-2004, 09:24 PM

i'm with you!!

although we will be travelling for the next few months... i'm hoping we can catch all the episodes

#10 of 220 Old 01-19-2004, 10:12 PM

Quote:
well, I'm on the west coast as well, and HATE spoilers!
Quote:
And I hate spoilers too.
Do you hate getting them and/ or giving them?
#11 of 220 Old 01-20-2004, 03:44 AM - Thread Starter

Shoot, was it supposed to be on tonight? My TiVo didn't get it. My husband messed up, I think. We've fixed the problem now and we're a go for tomorrow. My husband thinks I'm absolutely insane for watching this show.
#12 of 220 Old 01-20-2004, 09:03 AM

Turbo, I LOVE giving spoilers , I just HATE hearing them!

Amy, why does your husband think you are insane for watching it?

What I hate are the commercials. They are all geared towards teenagers and it makes me feel like I'm too old to be watching. But hey, my 70 year old gramma loves the show!

So what did you guys think? I thought it was okay...I really really like the funny looking redheaded kid.
#13 of 220 Old 01-20-2004, 10:40 AM

I liked the red-headed guy too, and we loved the chick with the scooter.
The end of her scooter song had us laughing...she was definitely original!
#14 of 220 Old 01-20-2004, 07:49 PM

Dd, MIL and I watch too....gotta love Simon...Randy seemed a bit more "simon" like to us....
I liked Scooter girl too...and the guy who sang the old stuff..was that the red head?

Is it on tonight too???
Or next Monday??
Jen
#15 of 220 Old 01-20-2004, 08:11 PM

Jen -- yes it is on tonight and tomorrow night too :LOL
#16 of 220 Old 01-20-2004, 11:40 PM

Woo Hoo....
Thanks!!
I seen the episode tonight and then they said something about tomorrow too...holy....3 nights in a row!

Tonights wasn't as good as yesterday....still good though.

Jen
#17 of 220 Old 01-21-2004, 03:55 PM

Dh and I thought it was great that during the Atlanta auditions they stuck in a clip of Keith from last year (the "Like a Virgin" guy). He's our favorite!

The other highlight was the hottie who sat next to Paula to sing. She was right--he's going to make all the girls swoon!
#18 of 220 Old 01-21-2004, 04:37 PM

Tonight's (Wednesday) the last night of showing the auditions in the cities, and next week there will be shows on Tuesday and Wednesday of the semi-finalists in LA. We should get to see some more good singing next week!

I'm having a hard time watching all the bad singers this time around... well, some of them at least... it is painful to my ears...

Happy Idolizing!

warmly,
claudia
#19 of 220 Old 01-21-2004, 05:38 PM

I'm loving AI so far.

I'm sure that girl that lost 80lbs to get on the show was a faker though. There is no way she and her friend were serious.

How do some of those contestants keep singing when SImon and Randy are cracking up at them? I would start crying!! I certainly wouldn't keep singing. But then, some of them must be the most self-confident people in the world to even go for the auditions thinking they can sing!!!!
#20 of 220 Old 01-21-2004, 07:18 PM

Did anybody see the interview with Simon on Fox today? He said that this year a lot of people were coming to the audition to purposely sing badly just so they could be on tv. What a waste of time! I mean those people have to wait in line for like 3 days!
#21 of 220 Old 01-22-2004, 05:52 PM

I only have two words to say.... SCAT GIRL.

I am not a huge american idol fan, I must admit, last season I only watched the beginning to hear the bad auditions..... but still
SCAT GIRL... let me tell you it was worth watching for!

Mamato Ruby Violet joy.gif(6 with autism) and someone 1sttri.gif who should make him/herself known sometime in the next month.

#22 of 220 Old 01-22-2004, 06:08 PM

OMG the drama that has been going on is cracking me up! That guy that threw water on Simon? He was AWFUL! How do these people not know they suck?
And that girl last night who would NOT stop singing. She's all "it's nerves, it's nerves" and they were like "No, your voice is scary!" :LOL :LOL
I'm so ashamed to admit I love this show.
#23 of 220 Old 01-22-2004, 06:28 PM

They've hardley shown any of the "good" people this time...I wonder if they thought they'd leave us guessing at what the good ones sound like and show us mostly "bad" singers.

I have enjoyed the show though....Dd is too funny watching it. She makes this funny face when the singers are on the bad side.

:LOL

Jen
#24 of 220 Old 01-22-2004, 06:34 PM

We didn't even hear 10 good singers over the course of 3 nights. I think they're trying to make it suspenseful to keep us watching.
Like I need that to keep me watching!
#25 of 220 Old 01-22-2004, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DreamsInDigital
OMG the drama that has been going on is cracking me up! That guy that threw water on Simon? He was AWFUL! How do these people not know they suck?
And that girl last night who would NOT stop singing. She's all "it's nerves, it's nerves" and they were like "No, your voice is scary!"
Dang! We forgot it was on last night, and it sounds like it was a good one! Someone threw water on Simon?! Well, I'm sure they'll show that clip again (and again, and again...). :LOL
#26 of 220 Old 01-22-2004, 06:58 PM

i think it was when scat girl was singing. joe looked over at me & said, that is horrible. :LOL i was like, i know, you're right! so glad he likes to watch it, he remembers last season too!
#27 of 220 Old 01-22-2004, 07:26 PM

Smittenmom, the two things I mentioned were the hightlights.
I bet if you watch Fox for 2 minutes you'll see the ads. :LOL
#28 of 220 Old 01-22-2004, 08:36 PM

well, I was wrong about what AI is supposed to be about next week. They originally said this week was going to be about the auditions in the individual cities and then next week would be the semi-finalists in LA. But now next week is a continuation of the auditions in individual cities.

The bad auditions are painful to listen to...

And did anyone else catch that they only took 12 people from Houston to send to LA??? That's not very many at all!!!!!!!!

warmly,
claudia
#29 of 220 Old 01-24-2004, 02:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by mama2Jacob

Amy, why does your husband think you are insane for watching it?
He hates it and thinks it's a terrible show. He says so much of it is slamming the feelings of fragile people. Or watching morons get hurt. I dunno. I don't like when they are criticizing people who are trying and probably have voices that aren't that bad. Some of the people are horrible and couldn't carry a tune in a paper bag, but in some cases there is a thin line between good and bad. I never know they ones they stop because they hate them, or because they like them. Anyone know what I mean? Some of the contestants are actually praised for their good voices and they don't sound all that great to me. Maybe you have to hear it live. The girl that Paula and Simon disliked, the fake 16 year old--well I agree with Randy. She's 16! Of course she's probably a bit affected and silly, she looks old, but is still just a kid. I thought she really trying to exhibit a persona that she thinks a pop star would have. I didn't care for her personality that much from what I could see, but I thought they should give her a chance.

I missed the Scooter girl one. Was that the first night? My husband set TiVo up to get it, but he thinks at the last minute he pressed not to record by accident. : Umm, yeah, sure, accident!
#30 of 220 Old 01-24-2004, 10:42 AM

My brother almost went and auditioned for it last year. They have you sign so many waivers basically saying "this is an entertainment show and if you stink we will make fun of you" it also had a bunch of stuff signing away privacy and everything so that whenever they are in the show and do stupid stuff (like getting drunk) they can air it.

We hadn't seen the first season so we didn't understand why it was set up like that, then on second season we understood!:

Shelley, mom to dd 5/19/01, ds 9/06/02, and ds 4/01/07.  Lost babe 4/09

belly.gifDue 12/18/12!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page