I need some new shows to watch! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 07-17-2009, 05:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I don't watch that much TV, but our exercise bike is in the basement and since I'm trying to use it more, I'd like to watch TV while I do it. My problem is, I haven't a clue as to what I want to watch. We have a DVR, so I can record pretty much anything that's on cable (except HBO and premium channels).

So, give me your favorite shows to watch - preferably ones where I can pick up the plot in the middle.

I'm deliberately not telling people what I 'usually' watch to get a range of answers. If y'all need to know my usual kind of fare, I'll come back and add.

TIA

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 20 Old 07-17-2009, 05:17 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
That is hard in the summer... I do love me some reality so I will suggest Big Brother and Hells Kitchen ... but if you are more into drama there are a couple of new shows that are a little slow but kind of fun mental, the philanthropist and the listener. Yea there is not much on during the summer

Mom to DD born 1989 DS born 1993 and grandma to
DGS born 2005
#3 of 20 Old 07-17-2009, 05:31 PM

i usually cannot stomach reality TV, but have completely fallen for "ruby" and "so you think you can dance." neither are on channels i normally watch though, so unfortunately i cannot recall at the moment. i think ruby is maybe on lifetime? maybe another poster can fill in the channels.

semi-crunchy mama to 1 unschooly, sometimes unruly, but mostly sweet and cool DS (17)
student reiki practitioner and aspiring /
#4 of 20 Old 07-17-2009, 05:47 PM
Banned

Leverage is a great one. The second season just started this past Wed. on TNT but it's not a show where you have to see the first season in order to understand it.

I can't really think of anything else since I watch a lot of baseball or HGTV or Food Network. Oh, I do really like Survivorman on Discovery.

If you're interested in renting a series Jericho is a great one. It's one that you really need to watch from the beginning since it's a serial.
#5 of 20 Old 07-17-2009, 05:55 PM

I LOVE "the next food network star"

hh2.gif

#6 of 20 Old 07-17-2009, 08:59 PM

Eureka just started back up on SciFi (it is in its second or third season, but is pretty light and probably easy to follow).

SciFi also just premiered a new show called Warehouse 13 - not spectacular, but watchable in summer.

Psych starts up again soon on USA.

Burn Notice is another summer show (also on USA?) that I enjoy, but we're a few weeks into the season.

We have watched a few reruns of The Mentalist here and there.

If you are up for netflixing series and/or tell us what you like, I am sure we can give more suggestions!
#7 of 20 Old 07-17-2009, 10:12 PM

I am really loving the new shows on TNT. The Closer, Raising the Bar, HathoRNe, & there are few others that I dvr'd this week.

Cristina - "If you find it in your heart to care for somebody else, you will have succeeded." Maya Angelou
#8 of 20 Old 07-17-2009, 11:51 PM

Do you have a player hooked up ... maybe something old school like Alias or Felicity?

I would check out Southland when it comes on in the fall on Fridays NBC.

I am on pins and needles waiting for Monk to come back. Burn Notice is USA's highest rated show though I havent watched because I need to rent the first season. I like that guy so I know I will get sucked in.

I cant even believe I am going to admit this, but I checked out that show Surburbia on ABC on Fri nights and I liked it. Will start to DVR it.

I like going though and setting the DVR to record interesting bios on the Biography Channel.

Wheel of Fortune, I record it every single day.
And I adore the Penguins of Madagascar on Nick!

I also like Survivorman, he is daring!! I couldnt kill a bunny, so I will never get lost in the snow!
#9 of 20 Old 07-19-2009, 12:43 PM
Banned

I'd like to watch Warehouse 13 to the list. Just watched the pilot last night and I really, really liked it.
#10 of 20 Old 07-19-2009, 01:48 PM

There are a number of things I watch but am slowly weaning myself off TV but here are my faves at the moment:

The Real Housewives of NYC and Jersey
Big Brother 11
Project Runway: I beleive this is coming in August now on Lifetime
Top Chef Masters
Next Food Network Star
Next Design Star

I tend to watch reality shows because it does not take much brain power and I am usually exhausted! LOL

We may not have it all together, but together we have it all
#11 of 20 Old 07-20-2009, 05:32 PM

Right now on my DVR list I have: Big Brother 11, The Real World Cancun (I know I'm pathetic LOL), The Soup, The Dish, Degrassi- The Next Generation (again, I know!), 18 Kids and Counting, Raising Sextuplets (but I think they just had their finale), and old Friends' reruns on TBS. I watch Weeds online too because I don't have Showtime.

Mom to REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif(12), bikenew.gif(7), energy.gif(5),  guitar.gif(4), baby.gif (born 7/8/11), dog2.gif, and chicken3.gif

#12 of 20 Old 07-21-2009, 04:20 PM

OMG i thought i was the only mama hooked on degrassi, LOL!

DS just shakes his head and says, "you know that show is for kids, right ma?" i don't care...i love it. the N seems to show it a billion times a week - reruns and current - and i will just watch, watch, watch!

semi-crunchy mama to 1 unschooly, sometimes unruly, but mostly sweet and cool DS (17)
student reiki practitioner and aspiring /
#13 of 20 Old 07-21-2009, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debstmomy View Post
I am really loving the new shows on TNT. The Closer, Raising the Bar, HathoRNe, & there are few others that I dvr'd this week.
Yup and Dark Blue is another one that has only had one episode but it seemed really good.

It's stupis but I really like Royal Pains on USA. Plus Monk and Psych start back up soon.
#14 of 20 Old 07-21-2009, 08:04 PM

The show that keeps me on the treadmill is Rescue Me (FX, Tuesdays at 10). I LOVE that show!
#15 of 20 Old 07-21-2009, 10:19 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
My three must-sees: Big Bang Theory (quirky science guys let me project into my son's probable future ), 30 Rock and Chuck.

The kids have become obsessed with Cake Boss and also like Ace of Cakes.

Mom to a teenager and a middle schooler.

#16 of 20 Old 07-21-2009, 10:39 PM
Banned

Oh yeah, Big Bang Theory is really good. Though I hope like heck my oldest doesn't end up like Sheldon. I can quite a bit of him in Sheldon it and well, :. LOL He's hard enough to relate to some days as it is it seems, it scares me that it could get even more challenging.
#17 of 20 Old 07-22-2009, 01:27 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanine123 View Post
Oh yeah, Big Bang Theory is really good. Though I hope like heck my oldest doesn't end up like Sheldon. I can quite a bit of him in Sheldon it and well, :. LOL He's hard enough to relate to some days as it is it seems, it scares me that it could get even more challenging.
Hey, Sheldon has a PhD, a good university job, friends and doesn't live in his parents' basement...sounds ok to me .

Mom to a teenager and a middle schooler.

#18 of 20 Old 07-23-2009, 03:47 PM

Kings! I'm surprised no one else mentioned this awesome show - it's on NBC, I think, but we just download it (along w/ everything else!)

Burn Notice
Royal Pains
Leverage
Hung (HBO and definitely worth downloading if you can)
Conan
The Daily Show
The Colbert Report
Psych
Monk

Sara, wife to Nathan, mommy to Mabel 6/25/07 and Malcolm 5/13/10

#19 of 20 Old 07-26-2009, 12:58 AM

I just started Drop Dead Diva, and it was cute enough for me to set it on the DVR. I LOVE deadliest catch...Cake Boss, Amazing Wedding Cakes, Hell's Kitchen. My husband just started watching Operation Repo, and he gets a kick out of that one...

But, I understand the pain of summer tv shows.
#20 of 20 Old 07-28-2009, 02:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks - this has given me a few things to try, and since I am such an infrequent TV watcher, of course I'd forgotten about the summer hiatus.

I think I'm looking for some new dramas, though I like some of the shows, like Ace of Cakes or What Not to Wear. I loved the original Iron Chef from Japan, not so much the new one. I'm doing Weight Watchers though, so I can't watch too much Food Network!

Reading these, I realize want something with a plot I can follow. I'll check a few of these out!

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page