Fall Duggars: 19 and counting! - Page 10 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#271 of 289 Old 12-02-2009, 08:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Am I crazy or does anyone else see how much JimBob is involved with those kids??

I keep seeing criticisms that "the girls do the parenting" but honestly, the more I watch the more I disagree. All the kids to help out a lot, but I don't see this supposed shoving off of parenting onto the older kids. JimBob almost always has a toddler in arms, and seems to have a genuine affection for his girls and a desire to be there for them and do the best he can for them. Of all the children in America, I'd bet the Duggar kids spend more time with their dad than most, even if that time has to be divided by 18. Whenever there is a show, he is pretty much right in the thick of things, helping out, encouraging the kids, helping with the little ones, etc. I see Josh going the same direction, although that leads to him being criticized for not spending enough time on his business and I admit his personality is sometimes a bit like nails on a chalkboard to me.

Of course, him being a super loving and involved daddy doesn't jive with the notion that they're a mysogynistic, legalistic family, either.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#272 of 289 Old 12-02-2009, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamatoablessing View Post
From their website:

DUGGAR's TATER TOT CASSEROLE
2 lb ground turkey cooked, seasoned, drained
3 2lb bags tater tots
2 cans cream of mushroom
2 cans evaporated milk
2 cans cream of chicken
Brown meat & place in large cass. dish.
Cover with tater tots. Mix soup & milk together.
Pour over top. Bake at 350 for 1 Hour.
(One of Daddy’s Favorites!) Makes 2- 9”X13” pans

http://www.duggarfamily.com/recipes.html

A little too much cream of soup for me...
you could always sauteed mushrooms and onions and add a little chicken stock and then heavy cream to thicken... I bet that would be better tasting and a whole heck of a lot less sodium!!!!!

~jen~ )O( mama to k 07/05 o 5/08 and c 12/09
#273 of 289 Old 12-02-2009, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cappuccinosmom View Post
Am I crazy or does anyone else see how much JimBob is involved with those kids??

I keep seeing criticisms that "the girls do the parenting" but honestly, the more I watch the more I disagree. All the kids to help out a lot, but I don't see this supposed shoving off of parenting onto the older kids. JimBob almost always has a toddler in arms, and seems to have a genuine affection for his girls and a desire to be there for them and do the best he can for them. Of all the children in America, I'd bet the Duggar kids spend more time with their dad than most, even if that time has to be divided by 18. Whenever there is a show, he is pretty much right in the thick of things, helping out, encouraging the kids, helping with the little ones, etc. I see Josh going the same direction, although that leads to him being criticized for not spending enough time on his business and I admit his personality is sometimes a bit like nails on a chalkboard to me.

Of course, him being a super loving and involved daddy doesn't jive with the notion that they're a mysogynistic, legalistic family, either.
I think JimBob is an amazing dad. Can't remember which episode it was but when Jimbob was home alone with all the little kids - he fed them (okay it was gross, but they all had fun), read them a Bible story and kept control. With that many toddlers and young energetic boys, I don't know many dads who could do that. And I know several families with 7+ kids. He's a great role model.

Jackie, wife to the Hubster, homeschooling mom to 4 girls: Lala (9) , Lissie (7) and Lauren (3) and our newest arrival Addie Jane born 10-1-10!
#274 of 289 Old 12-03-2009, 02:35 AM

Quote:

I totally agree with this! JimBob is awesome! And I do not think the older girls are forced to do parenting stuff. It seems like when I see them with the little ones, they are usually genuinely enjoying it (except one episode when Jennifer *i think it was her* was sick and Jana looked really beat down about it) I have to say Jim Bob and Michelle are pretty much pure inspiration to me. I am not bothered by Josh's personality. I just think he is young, that's all. And I bet he will be a great daddy too.
#275 of 289 Old 12-03-2009, 03:59 PM

I love the Duggars!!! it's one of the few shows I DVR. whenever i feel tired or frustrated i watch an episode and think if Michelle can do it with 18 (almost 19) then i can certainly do it with 1!

wash.gifMommy to my little Nugget bouncy.gifribboncesarean.gif 

144/2014 items decluttered   2/52 projects completed

#276 of 289 Old 12-03-2009, 05:34 PM

I am noticing how Joy Anna is wearing knee pants more and more under her skirts and dresses. I thing that is great since it would allow her more freedom to play and tumble without fear of immodesty

Jim Bob does appear to have a lot to do with his kids and from what they show he is very good with them.

Personally I dont care for seeing the older girls taking care of the little ones so much. How can they know what childhood is like if all they do is care for younger siblings? But they do appear to enjoy doing it but then we only see what they show to us.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#277 of 289 Old 12-03-2009, 05:38 PM

I love watching the clips of this show, but I cannot find full episodes online. I'm bummed, since we don't have this channel but I think I'd like this show a lot.

Erin caffix.gif , Happy wife of Honey Bearguitar.gif , mom of Curly Miss (11/04), Little Mister (10/06), Princess Abi (3/08), and The Bean (9/09) jumpers.gifadoptionheart-1.gif  <>< oh, and I blog.

#278 of 289 Old 12-03-2009, 07:01 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCatLvrMom2A&X View Post
Personally I dont care for seeing the older girls taking care of the little ones so much. How can they know what childhood is like if all they do is care for younger siblings? But they do appear to enjoy doing it but then we only see what they show to us.
To me I don't see it that way. Both my hubby and I agree that while children need "childhoods" where is the point where they are not "children" anymore but young adults whom are leanring about the "real" world while still having guidence.

Honestly *I* believe that children are not given ENOUGH responsibility and it hampers their ability in the future. I am not raising children I am raising the future adults of this world. That doesn't mean that they don't get to have fun I play or whatnot. But what it does mean is that I would like my children to have a full and broad education on all matters in life. "play parenting/responsibility" is one aspect in which I think we are not giving our children enough education in.

I think helping care for younger siblings HELPS in the long term.

When I look at people around me the children whom were allowed "extended childhoods" are much more selfish and have a harder time adapting to an adult and parental role (myself included) as opposed to those that had more responsibility either for themselves or for their younger siblings.

I think there is a balance but I think we need to be preparing our children to be adults.

Mom to two beautiful girls and  ****5****10****15****20****25****30****35******

Come check out MDC's Updated User Agreement  
#279 of 289 Old 12-03-2009, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brymommy View Post
To me I don't see it that way. Both my hubby and I agree that while children need "childhoods" where is the point where they are not "children" anymore but young adults whom are leanring about the "real" world while still having guidence.

Honestly *I* believe that children are not given ENOUGH responsibility and it hampers their ability in the future. I am not raising children I am raising the future adults of this world. That doesn't mean that they don't get to have fun I play or whatnot. But what it does mean is that I would like my children to have a full and broad education on all matters in life. "play parenting/responsibility" is one aspect in which I think we are not giving our children enough education in.

I think helping care for younger siblings HELPS in the long term.

When I look at people around me the children whom were allowed "extended childhoods" are much more selfish and have a harder time adapting to an adult and parental role (myself included) as opposed to those that had more responsibility either for themselves or for their younger siblings.

I think there is a balance but I think we need to be preparing our children to be adults.
I helped raise my little sister. I was 11 when she was born and my mom had some chronic health issues. There were plusses and minuses to having so much responsibility at such a young age but overall, I think it was beneficial.

Girls play with baby dolls to learn how to parent. How much better to practice on a real-live baby with a guide right there (their mom) to help? For me it was invaluable. When my first baby came I was totally confident with her (except bf'ing ) and I was so glad to have had the experience I'd had as a child. I was WAY more prepared to parent than I would have been otherwise.

Erin caffix.gif , Happy wife of Honey Bearguitar.gif , mom of Curly Miss (11/04), Little Mister (10/06), Princess Abi (3/08), and The Bean (9/09) jumpers.gifadoptionheart-1.gif  <>< oh, and I blog.

#280 of 289 Old 12-04-2009, 02:46 PM

Quote:
I agree. And i think the Duggars have a pretty good balance, actually.

The little children are allowed to be little children. The middling ones obviously get plenty of time to play around, even though they are helping. The teens, they do a lot of work and help out a lot but I don't consider the teen years "childhood" or requiring lots of playtime. By that point I want my children to be headed towards functional adulthood. Even so, it's clear the Duggar teens aren't lacking in enjoyable things to do, nor bound to the house/their work 24/7, and that is knowledge gained just from the 30 minutes we see of them weekly. We are only seeing a tiny portion of their life, most of it not normal daily life but "special stuff", like the trips, birthday parties, etc.
#281 of 289 Old 12-05-2009, 11:53 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I see the older girls doing lots of child care and cleaning, but what to the boys do? I have seen episodes where they are doing things like taking a tree down or such, but it still seems like the girls have *a lot* more to do regularly in the way of chores.

I'm not being snarky or making judgments, btw! I live in Europe and episodes are aired pretty sporadically, so I know I miss a lot.

Oh ... and I actually really like the family and the show!
#282 of 289 Old 12-05-2009, 03:33 PM

Well, two of the older boys have their own businesses to run. There is upkeep for the house and property, upkeep of their equipment, and the rental properties (which can take up a *lot* of time and effort, I know my dh will be grateful when our boys hit their teens and can work alongside him. It'll be good for them, helpful to him) Most of their boys are at the younger end, and just like the younger girls, they don't have the bulk of the chores. In their buddy-lists, there are 3-4 kids each, with one older one, and the little boys are included and help with whatever "jurisdiction" is assigned to that group.

We don't actually see the older girls "working all the time" as some claim. When they are doing chores, it's mostly household stuff and thus visible to viewers, but IMO that gets conflated into "Oh those poor girls, and look at how the boys do nothing." They definitely have gender-differentiated roles, but I don't believe that means the boys are getting off with doing nothing for the family. We believe much the same as the Duggar's in that area, but believe me, my boys know how to make a bed, sweep a floor, and wash the dishes. One has an interest in cooking and we encourage that. Although our major focus for them will ultimately be getting them to the point of being able to provide well for a family, that doesn't mean that everything else is ignored. If they're single for a time, they need to know how to take care of themselves.

They have also switched out the chores (boys inside with mom, girls helping daddy), and say they do want all their children to at bare minimum be proficient in every area. I tend to take them at face value, so I believe them, even though TLC is not showing much of their normal daily life anymore.
#283 of 289 Old 12-05-2009, 07:09 PM

Quote:
They have also switched out the chores (boys inside with mom, girls helping daddy), and say they do want all their children to at bare minimum be proficient in every area. I tend to take them at face value, so I believe them, even though TLC is not showing much of their normal daily life anymore.
I actually caught this episode and thought it was a nice one.

anyway, thanks for clarifying, cappuccinosmom. as i mentioned, I only sporadically catch episodes so was genuinely wondering. I do wish I could see it more regularly.
#284 of 289 Old 12-06-2009, 04:23 AM

#285 of 289 Old 12-06-2009, 01:00 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DariusMom View Post
I see the older girls doing lots of child care and cleaning, but what to the boys do? I have seen episodes where they are doing things like taking a tree down or such, but it still seems like the girls have *a lot* more to do regularly in the way of chores.

I'm not being snarky or making judgments, btw! I live in Europe and episodes are aired pretty sporadically, so I know I miss a lot.

Oh ... and I actually really like the family and the show!
They had an episode a while back where the girls and boys switched jobs for the day and the boys cooked and did laundry while the girls did work on the vehicles and other boy stuff. It did seem like the girls actually have way more to do than the boys do, considering the older girls most likely help with the youngest babies as well. But I think all the kids, even the boys, have certain chores to do. I think they've said they do the buddy system too so that would mean the older boys buddy up with a younger boy and help them out each day.

19 yr old
12 yr old
5 yr old
#286 of 289 Old 12-06-2009, 07:20 PM

I forgot to add this.

But I have several times seen the little boys with a broom in hand, stocking the pantry, collecting laundry, putting TP in the cupboard, etc. I believe they do participate in household chores on a regular basis.

IMO part of it is just that the age group that *can* take the biggest responsibilities are mostly girls right now. By the time the littler boys are old enough, the older girls will be in mid-to-late 20's either married or doing something else.

I don't know if we'll even know where the Duggars are in 10 years, but I'd be interested to see what happens. I'd almost be willing to bet that if we do see them, those boys will be helping out quite a bit in the house, because they will the the ones with the age and maturity to have that responsibility.
#287 of 289 Old 12-06-2009, 07:27 PM

Each child has a set of daily "chore packs" with 5 "chores" each that are age appropriate and for their jurisdiction. Some of the little one's include things like brushing their teeth or getting dressed, but the older ones have more "real" chores. But they all have a lot of things they're supposed to do each day to contribute to the household.

http://forums.parenting.com/blogs/da...w-chore-charts
#288 of 289 Old 12-07-2009, 07:34 AM

Quote:

IMO part of it is just that the age group that *can* take the biggest responsibilities are mostly girls right now. By the time the littler boys are old enough, the older girls will be in mid-to-late 20's either married or doing something else.

I don't know if we'll even know where the Duggars are in 10 years, but I'd be interested to see what happens. I'd almost be willing to bet that if we do see them, those boys will be helping out quite a bit in the house, because they will the the ones with the age and maturity to have that responsibility.
I wondered about this, too (after I posted). I can imagine if there are more older girls and then the group of "littler" boys that it can seem unbalanced.

I'd be interested to see where all the kids are in ten years too. And I'm a sucker for weddings (did see the episode where Josh and Anna got married) so I am hoping for more soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhiandmoi View Post
Each child has a set of daily "chore packs" with 5 "chores" each that are age appropriate and for their jurisdiction. Some of the little one's include things like brushing their teeth or getting dressed, but the older ones have more "real" chores. But they all have a lot of things they're supposed to do each day to contribute to the household.

http://forums.parenting.com/blogs/da...w-chore-charts
Interesting! didn't realize this. Thanks!
#289 of 289 Old 12-07-2009, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter

Closed so I can start a winter thread.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page