Fall Duggars: 19 and counting! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 289 Old 09-16-2009, 10:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I thought that it was great how the episode showed more of their daily life. The kids in the house hanging out and then how they were having a blast on the slip-in-slide in the backyard. I also really liked how they did not make a huge deal about Michelle announcing the pregnancy. It seemed very 'real' to me, in how they spoke about it with their children. It was funny when the producers asked one of the older girls about the announcement and she thought it was going to be about her dad telling them he had gotten an ice machine
#62 of 289 Old 09-16-2009, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhiandmoi View Post
Also she said that one of the ways she can tell she is pregnant is that the current nursling will get fussy at the breast because of her milk changing. So I think this shows that she doesn't wean to get pregnant, she weans because she is pregnant.
That's what I took this to mean. Wow. She's been pregnant or nursing for 20+ years. It's wonderful that she is happy, but that would be my own personal hell.

I know someone mentioned it, but Joy beating Jim Bob and Michelle to call Josh was hysterical.

Me, DH, and 2 babyboy.gif.
#63 of 289 Old 09-17-2009, 03:55 PM

Hi! I'm new to this thread but LOVE the Duggars and watch the show every week!

Back to the talk of a Duggar-Bates wedding: I think it would be awesome if one of the older Duggar girls got engaged (like Jana who's 18). Afterall, she is not going to college so married is the next step.

Michelle will have a LOT more work to do once the older girls get married off in the next few years!

Wifey to my DH 9/2005 and always busy SAHM  to my beautiful boys  twins.gif   Elijah 12/2008 and Caeleb 6/2010
Our baby girl  stork-girl.gif is arriving October 2012!!!

#64 of 289 Old 09-17-2009, 04:19 PM

Did you all notice when one of the older girls was talking about the swimwear and she said they where modest and modern?

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#65 of 289 Old 09-17-2009, 04:55 PM

I've seen a few posts on here asking why Michelle thought she was done having babies. I stumbled across her TLC blog, and she mentions it there:

http://blogs.discovery.com/tlc-miche...9/newbaby.html

Wife to DH (10/2004) ~ Mama to DS (1/2009) ~ belly.gif (11/2011)
#66 of 289 Old 09-19-2009, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UptownZoo View Post
Hmmm...I hadn't noticed her hanging around her mom, but 10 years old sounds about right.
Like I said in my earlier post, I noticed that Joy Anna was hanging around her mom a lot in the DC episode and another one where they went out of town recently. I've never noticed it at any other time.

I just finished watching the episode where they announced the pregnancy. Michelle said she is due in April. I can't remember when they had the last baby?? She still looks so very young, under 6 months I would imagine?

I felt so sorry for Jana having to take care of the sick LO on that episode. I wonder where mom was? She wasn't with the baby because Jana was watching her at the same time. When Johannah was puking she was yelling for her mommy.

Single (divorced), self-employed working, college student MOM to:

17 yr old

11 yr old 

4 yr old

#67 of 289 Old 09-19-2009, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCatLvrMom2A&X View Post
Did you all notice when one of the older girls was talking about the swimwear and she said they where modest and modern?
I thought that was cute. I love their swimwear! My DD wears a one piece with a skirt in the summer and I wish she would dress like that all throughout the years. I also think it's cute how they wear dresses/skirts all the time, even when they were helping to build the house.

17 yr old

11 yr old 

4 yr old

#68 of 289 Old 09-19-2009, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy68 View Post
Like I said in my earlier post, I noticed that Joy Anna was hanging around her mom a lot in the DC episode and another one where they went out of town recently. I've never noticed it at any other time.

I just finished watching the episode where they announced the pregnancy. Michelle said she is due in April. I can't remember when they had the last baby?? She still looks so very young, under 6 months I would imagine?

I felt so sorry for Jana having to take care of the sick LO on that episode. I wonder where mom was? She wasn't with the baby because Jana was watching her at the same time. When Johannah was puking she was yelling for her mommy.
The baby is 8 months old. Michelle is due in March according to their web page. I guess she was off a month because she hadnt had time to do the math.

Michelle said that she has been very tired and sick so I guess she is probably avoiding the sick little ones. Or she was just sleeping and sick herself at that time.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#69 of 289 Old 09-19-2009, 01:25 PM

Quote:
I thought that was cute. I love their swimwear! My DD wears a one piece with a skirt in the summer and I wish she would dress like that all throughout the years. I also think it's cute how they wear dresses/skirts all the time, even when they were helping to build the house.
I would think it was cute if they where not required to dress that way. Being forced to dress a certain way is out of my comfort zone.

#70 of 289 Old 09-19-2009, 01:55 PM

You know, I don't know why, but this thought just popped into my head:

Maybe Josh is so 'camera happy' because it means they will get income + residuals from appearing on the show? I mean, especially if a segment is all about them?

If so, then it makes sense why he is jumping on any opportunity. It will create a nice income stream, and since, in their beliefs, the man is the one responsible for bringing in the income, it must be a pretty heavy duty to bear, especially since the number of children they can have is unknown. He might just want to bring in as many income streams as possible, especially if they end up having 19 kids!

Hmmm, after that thought, he doesn't look that bad to me anymore.

Ami

Wife to dh, Mommy to my heavenly angel, J (06), and my earthly angels, S (07) and E (10)

#71 of 289 Old 09-20-2009, 10:05 AM

Quote:
I would think it was cute if they where not required to dress that way. Being forced to dress a certain way is out of my comfort zone.
But they don't seem to mind. I would never force my own children to dress a certain way but I think when it comes to bathing suits that girls should be raised to be a little more modest. I was raised to use my body for attention from a very young age and I won't do that with my children. fwiw, my DD loves her hanna andersson one piece with a skirt better than any of her other bathing suits. It's not overly weird but it does have a skirt with it which I like.

17 yr old

11 yr old 

4 yr old

#72 of 289 Old 09-20-2009, 10:12 AM

Quote:
At least the boys were also wearing modest swim wear or their clothes. I was wondering at first if they were going to take off their shirts or something, that would have made me angry when the girls had to be modest.

I wonder if maybe some of the girls are relieved to wear the modest suits. I think I would probably have felt very self conscious wearing a bikini while sliding down a huge tarp on television.

Momma to Sweet Rosie 7/06, Lost Baby J 1/09 at 12 weeks pregnant, Spitfire Ada born 4/21/10, and Baby Boy due July/August 2013!
Aspiring urban homesteader, photographer, homeschooling momma! Blog link in my profile. 

#73 of 289 Old 09-20-2009, 04:51 PM

in swim class in high school, my friends and i all wore tshirts over our bathing suits... i would have loved a more modest bathing suit. none of us were necessarily "modest" - but it would have been nice to be able to enjoy swimming and diving without worrying about all the adolescent boys staring at the bathing suit riding up your butt

its an awkward time in life.

~jen~ )O( mama to k 07/05 o 5/08 and c 12/09
#74 of 289 Old 09-20-2009, 05:54 PM

Quote:
But they don't seem to mind. I would never force my own children to dress a certain way but I think when it comes to bathing suits that girls should be raised to be a little more modest. I was raised to use my body for attention from a very young age and I won't do that with my children. fwiw, my DD loves her hanna andersson one piece with a skirt better than any of her other bathing suits. It's not overly weird but it does have a skirt with it which I like.
Your right they dont mind I dont think but that is because it is what they are used to and never had an opportunity to be different. I went to school with 2 girls in the same family that had to wear skirts or dresses and they where resentful of it because they wanted to be like the other girls and it restricted things they could do. As adults though they still wear the skirts/dresses so I guess in the long run it really dosnt matter.

#75 of 289 Old 09-20-2009, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper44 View Post
At least the boys were also wearing modest swim wear or their clothes. I was wondering at first if they were going to take off their shirts or something, that would have made me angry when the girls had to be modest.

I wonder if maybe some of the girls are relieved to wear the modest suits. I think I would probably have felt very self conscious wearing a bikini while sliding down a huge tarp on television.
The girls would never wear anything less than modest because of the way they where raised so yes they would have felt nekked in anything less than what they had on and I bet they even felt a bit exposed in those. The modest rule goes for both male and female If you look you will never see one of the boys in anything less than a short sleeve shirt and usually undershirt under it. Their swim outfits where the "least" I have seen them in because they had short legs.

#76 of 289 Old 09-20-2009, 08:00 PM

I guess I don't see the big deal. I still wear a t-shirt over my bathing suit (more for sun exposure reasons ... but also I try to be a bit modest, as well. I do own a bikini and will wear it but don't really like to ... I like to be covered in public a little bit more than that -- would have no issues if it were just DH and I, though). We also put UV t-shirts on our sons for protection, as well. I guess, I also don't think people should necessarily have the right to dress how they wish if they are a minor -- I think like all things modesty is something that needs to be taught -- it may not be something that you are just aware of if not talked about.
#77 of 289 Old 09-20-2009, 08:06 PM

Modesty is one thing but not every one has the same view on modest. I do get what you are saying though. I have dd wear things that I feel are appropriate and I will continue to do that within limits but I wont force her to wear clothing that she dosnt like. She may not get to wear everything that she wants either

OK back on topic. I do like the show Get a bit PO'ed at some of the things they do. Feel a bit sorry for them that they are so isolated and dont know a lot of the things that are going on in the world but in another way that may be a good thing. The show makes me think.

#78 of 289 Old 09-20-2009, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Feel a bit sorry for them that they are so isolated and dont know a lot of the things that are going on in the world but in another way that may be a good thing. The show makes me think.
I must say, I think the idea that they are isolated is a little bit of a myth. The kids are not in public school, and watch very little TV so they are isolated from certain parts of the culture (some would say the worst parts, even if they don't agree with the Duggars on anything else), *but* they are experiencing things and meeting people in a way many people never have the opportunity. Just with the taping of their shows, they are surrounded by people who do not agree with or live their lifestyle. They haven't cut off family that disagrees with them, even when the family says so on the show. And the shows can't tape every single bit of their life, but I have caught quite a few times mention of things they do outside the show, on a regular basis. I noticed the broom hocky thing is a regular for them, and that's not a Duggar's only club there.
#79 of 289 Old 09-21-2009, 01:12 AM

Well they didnt know who Dolly Parton was They dont know who a lot of celebs are though. So hard for me to imagine.

#80 of 289 Old 09-21-2009, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Well they didnt know who Dolly Parton was They dont know who a lot of celebs are though. So hard for me to imagine.
But isn't this how every family is?

I mean, my children will know about lots of country singers, and they'll know the gritty details of who is the best bluegrass player, but they won't know the major pop stars of the moment.

This week, I heard something about Kanye West on the news, and I'm like, "Kanye who??" Music people just aren't on my radar, so I'm not going to think to expose my children to that.
#81 of 289 Old 09-21-2009, 12:46 PM

"Love Is Something Eternal, The Aspect My Change, But Not The Essence"
#82 of 289 Old 09-21-2009, 01:35 PM

And really, what are they missing by not knowing pop culture? I try my darndest to keep my 8 and 6 year old girls from watching all these teenage dramas on Disney and Nick becuase why do they need to watch that? It has nothing to do with their lives right now. Why do the Duggar kids need to know actor's names and who sings what canned pop song? I admire their strength in keeping their kids apart from the junk of the world.

Jackie, wife to the Hubster, homeschooling mom to 4 girls: Lala (9) , Lissie (7) and Lauren (3) and our newest arrival Addie Jane born 10-1-10!
#83 of 289 Old 09-21-2009, 11:56 PM

Some of us do live happy and fulfilled lives without and intimate knowledge of American pop culture.

I think, if I am going to be sheltering my kids from anything, it'll be pop culture. Not high on my list of priorities for building my kid's characters, and I think that's probably similar to the Duggar's reasoning. And I think their kids can live happy and fulfilled lives even with the level of sheltering (though at this point I'm not sure "sheltered" could really describe them anymore) they've recieved.
#84 of 289 Old 09-29-2009, 10:33 PM

vow renewal? AND kleinfelds? wow...

Proud Catholic transtichel.gif(28) and mama to Vdust.gif (7)

#85 of 289 Old 09-30-2009, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceAndLove View Post
vow renewal? AND kleinfelds? wow...
Ugh, I know. Not impressed.

Mom to REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif(12), bikenew.gif(7), energy.gif(5),  guitar.gif(4), baby.gif (born 7/8/11), dog2.gif, and chicken3.gif

#86 of 289 Old 09-30-2009, 12:09 PM

I feel like the integrety of the show has been lost, between the add placements & now all the Jon & Kate-like episodes. What I enjoyed most about the family was their simple, peaceful existance. Now it all seems to be about increasing their income. I get it that it's a job for them, but still. I feel like they have sold out.

Happy mama of four Wild Things
"And now," cried Max "let the wild rumpus begin!"
#87 of 289 Old 09-30-2009, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Your right they dont mind I dont think but that is because it is what they are used to and never had an opportunity to be different. I went to school with 2 girls in the same family that had to wear skirts or dresses and they where resentful of it because they wanted to be like the other girls and it restricted things they could do. As adults though they still wear the skirts/dresses so I guess in the long run it really dosnt matter.
Well, the ARE like the other girls...the girls in their social circle. In their lives, their homeschool meet-ups and religious activities, they do not stick out.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
#88 of 289 Old 09-30-2009, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*max*~ View Post
I feel like the integrety of the show has been lost, between the add placements & now all the Jon & Kate-like episodes. What I enjoyed most about the family was their simple, peaceful existance. Now it all seems to be about increasing their income. I get it that it's a job for them, but still. I feel like they have sold out.
I don't think they have "sold-out", but it does seem a little... creepy. Although, in their defense, they are staying close to home for the renewal, and it is 25 years (wow!!!!). And their vacations aren't extravagant.
Perhaps a little note to them via their website would let them know how you feel?

Proud Catholic transtichel.gif(28) and mama to Vdust.gif (7)

#89 of 289 Old 09-30-2009, 02:33 PM

The have or will soon have 19 mouths to feed. I dont have any issues at all with them making more money however they can. They have never been on public assistance, to my knowledge, and this will make it very unlikely they ever will need to be.

Dolly was just an example there are many many other things that they know nothing about. Some of it they dont need to know and I wish my kids didnt but others they should have knowledge of.

#90 of 289 Old 10-01-2009, 09:30 AM

I love the Duggars. I love the way Michelle is so peaceful with her kids. I wish I could be like that. They have opened my eyes..

Stephanie + Dh= Super blessed parents to 1 ds, and 4 dds!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page