Fall Duggars: 19 and counting! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-01-2009, 06:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
A review of the thread guidelines:
This is the television forum. The purpose of the television forum is to discuss 18, 19, 20, Whatever Kids and Counting, the television show.

All posts must both adhere to the forum's purpose (see above) and the User Agreement, specifically
Quote:
Do not post in a disrespectful, defamatory, adversarial, baiting, harassing, offensive, insultingly sarcastic or otherwise improper manner, toward a member or other individual, including casting of suspicion upon a person, invasion of privacy, humiliation, demeaning criticism, name-calling, personal attack, or in any way which violates the law.
Defamatory = purposely harmful and/or untrue with the intention to malign. MDC is no longer hosting celebrity gossip, which should cover most of it, but we will also not host speculation of a harmful or overly personal nature, including allegations of abuse or armchair mental health diagnoses. This is also covered under "casting suspicion". If you can't prove it with a reliable source, don't post it as fact.

Baiting = trying to make end runs around the User Agreement and hinting that members posting to this thread on either "side" are somehow morally deficient. It will not be tolerated, and is not the purpose of this forum. Discuss the show, not the members who discuss the show.

Offensive/disrespectful: You can discuss your thoughts on their religious beliefs as they pertain to the show. But please, mind your language. We don't host any form of religious bigotry on MDC. Don't use words that would offend you if someone turned them around and used them to describe your own beliefs. Certainly, words like "cult" are NEVER appropriate when describing someone's religious beliefs.

Invasion of Privacy = tell-all blogs, aerial shots of private properties, etc.

Personal attack and namecalling: To clarify, you may state how you feel or how something makes you feel. You may feel certain actions are selfish, careless, or mean. You may not call someone selfish, careless, or mean.

This isn't the place to debate religion, family planning/fertility, discipline techniques, etc. If you want to have an extended conversation on those topics, please start a thread in the proper forum.

This thread will be opened tonight and will be actively moderated. The plan is to start a new thread every few months. Posts that violate these guidelines will be removed and alerted. Jim-Bob and Michelle and their brood are certainly not core to MDC's purpose, and if these guidelines can't be adhered to, the thread will be removed.

As always, feel free to PM me with any questions or concerns.

Signed,
Modzilla

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2009, 11:44 PM

subbing!

Proud Catholic (30) and mama to V (10)
Old 09-02-2009, 09:09 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
*subbing*

19 yr old
12 yr old
5 yr old
Old 09-02-2009, 08:03 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
subbing. Not surprised in the least at #19!
Old 09-08-2009, 03:35 PM

Where are the Duggar fans here??? !!! Okay seriously I totally thought she'd be done now. I really did not expect this!!! But..... so happy for her!!! She did look a little tired on the today show for the interview. She said she is the most suprised at this baby. Maybe she also thought she'd be done.

Samantha:: love.gif {Waldorf Doll Maker} broc1.gif{Organic Farmer}knit.gif{crafter} computergeek2.gif {blogger}  and crunchy mama to 4 boys under 5! run.gif

Old 09-08-2009, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturalmamaof1 View Post
Where are the Duggar fans here??? !!! Okay seriously I totally thought she'd be done now. I really did not expect this!!! But..... so happy for her!!! She did look a little tired on the today show for the interview. She said she is the most suprised at this baby. Maybe she also thought she'd be done.
Interesting...
This leads me to a question regarding the quiverful belief. But I shall keep it to myself unless annettemarie says I can ask it

Old 09-08-2009, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter

A question about quiverfull would probably best be posted in Spirituality.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

Old 09-08-2009, 06:46 PM

She is 42 now right? So maybe 43 when the baby is born and if she is like most woman and enter menopause in the late 40's early 50's I am betting she will have at least 2 more kids before then

I was very happy to know that she was still bfing at 8 months since that is not her normal way of doing things. Maybe she was thinking it would keep her from getting pg again or she thought this was her last and decided to nurse longer.

Either way I am happy for them and hope she has a uneventful pg and happy birth.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

Old 09-08-2009, 06:56 PM

[QUOTE=MCatLvrMom2A&X;14351489]I was very happy to know that she was still bfing at 8 months since that is not her normal way of doing things. Maybe she was thinking it would keep her from getting pg again or she thought this was her last and decided to nurse longer. [QUOTE]

I've been missing out on my dose of Duggars. How long did she normally BF? She seems very private about it. I was surprised to see her with the nursing cover a while back, since she usually wasn't seen BFing.

Old 09-08-2009, 07:06 PM

6 months has been the max in the past. This season on almost every episode she has been shown nursing I am actually jealous of her and the things she can accomplish while bfing with that cover and pillow thing. She hardly ever holds onto her at all.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

Old 09-08-2009, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie View Post
That's what I thought! thanks!

Old 09-08-2009, 10:31 PM

I catch this show off and on but I think the mom is the cutest person ever. I love hearing her talk, there is just something so peaceful and loving about her voice. I know that sounds crazy but....

Kim, proud CPS mom to Marnie and my 4 legged kids, Jess, Zander, Oliver, Stumpy and Eddie.
Old 09-09-2009, 12:06 AM

Just watched!
Bowling looked so fun! And I love that they went over to Deanna and Amy's house. I had never seen Amy's mama before. It was lovely to get a peek at other members of the Dugger family.
It seems that Anna is coming out of her shell a bit more. And she is so cute!
And the baseball game looked fun!
I agree on the product placement, though. Swiffers seem out of step with the whole "making our own laundry soap" thing.

Old 09-09-2009, 04:49 PM

I really enjoy this show too. I love how peaceful their family life seems and the fact that they are an entity among themselves (i.e. do not need public school or organized sports, older kids learn the businesses from parents, etc.) I have (only ) 4 kids, so they give me inspiration.

I had not heard about #19 though. Was this just announced recently?

I agree about the product placement, it makes it all seem so ungenuine and staged. It makes me wonder what is real & what isn't when I see things like this. (Although of course I get it, $$$$).

Happy mama of four Wild Things
"And now," cried Max "let the wild rumpus begin!"
Old 09-09-2009, 05:33 PM

Yes it was recently announced about #19 it was announced around the first of the month. She is due in March if I remember right.

Old 09-09-2009, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturalmamaof1 View Post
She said she is the most suprised at this baby. Maybe she also thought she'd be done.
in a interview she did she cited her age and other issues that led her to believe that jordyn would be her last. She didnt go into details of what the "issues" were but she is 42 I can see how she might think that.
Old 09-09-2009, 06:51 PM

Love-my-boys - that's exactly what I was going to bring up, she was saying there were little hints that made her think she was starting menopause.
One of the biggest questions on my mind was that with as many preganancies she's had, is there really a health/safety issue in regards to the uterus??? I know I've heard quite a few times that if a woman has been pregnant with her 5th or 6th child that the uterus starts to get paper thin??? Of course sometimes one can't trust what doctors say all the time, but there has to be some sort of truth to it, right????
Old 09-09-2009, 06:59 PM

I saw a clip of her OB being interviewed on one episode and she said that Michelle was in perfect health and built for having babies, so maybe that isn't an issue for her?

She had a c-section last time because the baby was transverse, and I do know that multiple pregnancies cause the uterus to be more lax which can cause transverse babies.

Have they announced her pregnancy on the show yet? I kept waiting for them to announce it last night...

Momma to Sweet Rosie 7/06, Lost Baby J 1/09 at 12 weeks pregnant, Spitfire Ada born 4/21/10, and Baby Boy due July/August 2013!
Aspiring urban homesteader, photographer, homeschooling momma! Blog link in my profile. 

Old 09-09-2009, 07:04 PM

I loved to watch them bowling. I think the older girls have such great personalities (especially Jinger and Jill, but I <3 all of them), and I love when cousin Amy comes around.
Old 09-09-2009, 07:32 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
This leads me to a question regarding the quiverful belief. But I shall keep it to myself unless annettemarie says I can ask it
Quote:
We have a tribe running here http://www.mothering.com/discussions....php?t=1020702

If you have any questions I am sure you'd be welcome to ask them there.

And may I just say as a QF momma of 5 that I don't get this show. I really want to read her book, so maybe it is just my lack of enthusiasm for television all together.
Old 09-09-2009, 10:33 PM

I'm a Duggar lover. Really, I love Michelle. I think she is so calm and wonderful. I aspire to be like that. But...

This show is starting to get on my nerves. It seems to have fallen into the same old reality show multiple children ditch of "look at us do things for free!" The product placement is uncomfortable to watch. Scrubbing Bubbles and Swiffer and the ones I remember off the top of my head. It seems like it used to be about "how do they do it?" which I know gets boring to some after awhile, but it's more entertaining for me.

I'm also not a fan of Josh Duggar. He seems shifty or something. I can't quite put my finger on it. I feel bad for Anna. She's going to have a strange life with him. I love Jana, Jessa, Joy and all the little, little kids though. I want to see Jana and John David get married. They have to be old enough. I wonder if they met anyone yet.

Mom to REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif(12), bikenew.gif(7), energy.gif(5),  guitar.gif(4), baby.gif (born 7/8/11), dog2.gif, and chicken3.gif

Old 09-09-2009, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuburbanHippie View Post
I'm a Duggar lover. Really, I love Michelle. I think she is so calm and wonderful. I aspire to be like that. But...

This show is starting to get on my nerves. It seems to have fallen into the same old reality show multiple children ditch of "look at us do things for free!" The product placement is uncomfortable to watch. Scrubbing Bubbles and Swiffer and the ones I remember off the top of my head. It seems like it used to be about "how do they do it?" which I know gets boring to some after awhile, but it's more entertaining for me.

I'm also not a fan of Josh Duggar. He seems shifty or something. I can't quite put my finger on it. I feel bad for Anna. She's going to have a strange life with him. I love Jana, Jessa, Joy and all the little, little kids though. I want to see Jana and John David get married. They have to be old enough. I wonder if they met anyone yet.
I get the feeling that Josh really likes the cameras ... or really takes the filming of the show seriously and is very over-emphatic about getting down to the business of it.
Old 09-10-2009, 12:25 AM

I watch many many shows on TLC and the product placement is always extremely awkward. It is so bad that I wonder why the sponsors continue doing them. It always seems like the families don't use the products, which may or may not be true, but obviously isn't what you want from a product placement. It would be better if they just said "this show brought to you by Swiffer" or whatever, since they play the mop commercials solid through the commercial breaks anyway.

I am not a big fan of Josh either. I mean, I am sure he is a nice enough guy, but I don't get a good vibe off of him. Now John-David on the other hand, I really like him. And he's pretty cute too. I wonder if he has interests in any of the Bates girls. I would love to see a Bates-Duggar wedding.
Old 09-10-2009, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhiandmoi View Post
I wonder if he has interests in any of the Bates girls. I would love to see a Bates-Duggar wedding.

You know I was wondering that myself. It seems that these families are really good friends and spend a lot of time together and have very similar family values. I wouldnt be suprised if a relationship popped up between a dugar and bates.
Old 09-10-2009, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Now John-David on the other hand, I really like him. And he's pretty cute too. I wonder if he has interests in any of the Bates girls. I would love to see a Bates-Duggar wedding.
I would cancel social plans to watch a Bates-Duggar wedding!

Old 09-10-2009, 12:03 PM

I would love to see a Duggar-Bates wedding too!

Mom to REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif(12), bikenew.gif(7), energy.gif(5),  guitar.gif(4), baby.gif (born 7/8/11), dog2.gif, and chicken3.gif

Old 09-10-2009, 12:57 PM

May I join here? I love this show.

It seems to me that the producers of the show have almost downright implied that a Duggar-Bates wedding will happen. I'm specifically thinking of an episode (I think it was last season) where they go to a camping religious convention type thing. Michelle was saying that Josh met Anna there and it's a good place to meet a like minded person to marry. At the same time she was saying this, the camera showed the Duggars and Bates getting together. Then they showed John David and the oldest Bates girl (Erin?), the really pretty blond girl.

I would love that. So cute.

Can I also add that I am in awe of the Bates for having all of those kids in a 1,000 square foot house. That's what they said right? DH and I are looking for a house right now. I looked at some that are 1,000 square feet and it seemed small for the 3 of us.

Me, DH, and 2 babyboy.gif.
Old 09-10-2009, 12:59 PM

subbing. I hope I do it right.

Me, DH, and 2 babyboy.gif.
Old 09-10-2009, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baglady View Post
It seems to me that the producers of the show have almost downright implied that a Duggar-Bates wedding will happen.
IF their kids can tolerate the twangy country accents. I live in the country and I am quite used to it but seeing the Bates kids talk on t.v. is really quite cute.

19 yr old
12 yr old
5 yr old
Old 09-10-2009, 01:19 PM

Quote:
I am not a big fan of Josh either. I mean, I am sure he is a nice enough guy, but I don't get a good vibe off of him.
I've felt this way lately as well. He acts a bit overbearing and arrogant on the show at times. I wondered if it was just me.

19 yr old
12 yr old
5 yr old

User Tag List