SYTYCD Tonight!! - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#91 of 111 Old 12-16-2009, 11:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
my daughter has finally converted me and her brother to faithful watchers of this show! We're having a SYTYCD party tonight with the neighbors...cake and hot tamales candies (bleh!) anyway!
daughter keeps saying Jakob will win it, but I like Russell quite a bit. and I have to admit, I have some sour grapes over Legacy getting the boot...he was my and my son's favorite.
#92 of 111 Old 12-16-2009, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencersmom View Post
They didn't say who choreographed it but showed Travis Wall. Boy is he a force to be reckoned with. His dances have been great this year.

Oh and I wonder if they pulled Adam Lambert from the finale. I heard them say Mary J Blige and someone else would be performing but not him.
They did say who choreo'd it--Desmond and Dwight. I think they did the pas de deux before (though I'm not 100% sure). Travis did Ryan and Ashleigh's dance.

Adam is performing--They DID say that as well.

I agree that Kathryn stole the show last night. She was incredible in all of her dances. Though I still have a soft spot for Russell.
#93 of 111 Old 12-16-2009, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter

Great show last night, but I still feel shortchanged! A one-hour show with no video of them practicing or talking about the finale. It felt so rushed. Plus having the finale with 6. It just wasn't enough and the show and season are over too soon!

I would MUCH rather see a 2-hour finale dancing show than a 2 hr results show with performers I don't care about! Where I am, they showed a horribly corny, unwatchable Gordon Ramsey "special" for the second hour, ugh, why.

It's hard to say who should win- everyone did great. I think it probably should be Russell, Kathryn, or Jakob. They are all excellent. Oh, Ellenore, too! Ashleigh and Ryan are great but I don't think should win. I'm glad they got to dance together.
#94 of 111 Old 12-16-2009, 02:32 PM

Jakob and Kathryn are just the PERFECT couple! They were fabulous last night! I haven't voted all season because this season hasn't thrilled me at all. I usually tear up at least twice per season and this one, not at all. But last night I voted a lot for Jakob. He's by far the best dancer, IMO. Kathryn is my fave girl but compared to Jeannine last season, she's not as good, so I don't think she should win it all. I'm so glad Adam is performing tonight! I love him!!!!

Beth- WOHM slinggirl.gif  -Madly in love with my Wife- SAHMhola.gifandbabyf.gifSophia, born 11/2/10, at home! homebirth.jpgExpressing love, one ounce at a time!  1pump.gif

#95 of 111 Old 12-16-2009, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awaken View Post
I would MUCH rather see a 2-hour finale dancing show than a 2 hr results show with performers I don't care about!
Exactly!

I still Kathryn. I would be thrilled if either Kathryn or Russel win. Although, going off of talent and technique alone, I kind of think Jakob deserves it.

SAHM to my baby girl Ella (12/09) wife to the love of my life practicing/believing in
#96 of 111 Old 12-16-2009, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awaken View Post
Great show last night, but I still feel shortchanged! A one-hour show with no video of them practicing or talking about the finale. It felt so rushed. Plus having the finale with 6. It just wasn't enough and the show and season are over too soon!

I would MUCH rather see a 2-hour finale dancing show than a 2 hr results show with performers I don't care about! Where I am, they showed a horribly corny, unwatchable Gordon Ramsey "special" for the second hour, ugh, why.

It's hard to say who should win- everyone did great. I think it probably should be Russell, Kathryn, or Jakob. They are all excellent. Oh, Ellenore, too! Ashleigh and Ryan are great but I don't think should win. I'm glad they got to dance together.
I must say I agree. Honestly, I hope very much that next year they stick to just the summer season. The 2 a year thing is too rushed and having to compete with the holidays, baseball and all the other stuff is just too much. Besides it just doesn't feel as ... I don't know ... special, maybe? I love this show and don't want to see it become the overdone thing that AI now is. Sad to say I have only watched it in between commercials or in and out of the room for the last two weeks even though I agree the dancers are amazing - I just don't have the time/interest to get invested in it like I have in the summer when I know it's going to be a year before I get to see it again.

"I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult." â E.B. White
#97 of 111 Old 12-16-2009, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocelynr View Post
They did say who choreo'd it--Desmond and Dwight. I think they did the pas de deux before (though I'm not 100% sure). Travis did Ryan and Ashleigh's dance.

Adam is performing--They DID say that as well.

I agree that Kathryn stole the show last night. She was incredible in all of her dances. Though I still have a soft spot for Russell.
Ha! Would you believe I watched the show twice? The first time by dd was nursing to sleep but never fell asleep. The second time I fast forwarded through everything but the dancing. I guess I missed a few things!! I thought Ashleigh and Ryan's dance was great too. Travis really does a nice job. I was actually really glad that they weren't sent home. I enjoyed watching them dance together.

I can't wait to see who wins!
#98 of 111 Old 12-16-2009, 10:57 PM

It comes on in a few minutes for me. My faves are Jakob and Russell. I have a feeling Russell will win.

I can't wait to see me some Adam Lambert!! I him.

: Robyn : Increasingly crunchy Mama to Kya (8) , Makena (7) , and Keegan (4) :
#99 of 111 Old 12-17-2009, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancindoula View Post
I must say I agree. Honestly, I hope very much that next year they stick to just the summer season. The 2 a year thing is too rushed and having to compete with the holidays, baseball and all the other stuff is just too much. Besides it just doesn't feel as ... I don't know ... special, maybe? I love this show and don't want to see it become the overdone thing that AI now is. Sad to say I have only watched it in between commercials or in and out of the room for the last two weeks even though I agree the dancers are amazing - I just don't have the time/interest to get invested in it like I have in the summer when I know it's going to be a year before I get to see it again.
Yes! You took the words out of my mouth.
#100 of 111 Old 12-17-2009, 01:10 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
When did Russell hurt his knee? Was it when he jumped off stage in the first dance? It sure looked like it was feeling better at the end!
#101 of 111 Old 12-17-2009, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolip View Post
When did Russell hurt his knee? Was it when he jumped off stage in the first dance? It sure looked like it was feeling better at the end!
I thought the same thing - I guess winning makes you forget what ails you . I was very happy for him, and I wish I could have seen him dance more last night. I don't know when he hurt his knee. He seemed fine at the end of that dance. I wonder if they were doing a rehersal or something backstage for one of his upcoming dances?
#102 of 111 Old 12-17-2009, 02:11 PM

I guess it's nice that the underdog won, but eh...I don't think he should have. His story is good, but I'm just a stickler that I think it should only be about the dancing and performance and not the backstory or personality.

I also agree with a PP that they should stick to one season a year and make it worth it. This season was rushed and seemed like it was just filler. It was almost as if the choreographers were tired or uninspired. Even "Nabby" (who I LOVE!) just did straight hip hop, nothing with a story. I guess I just miss Mia Michaels' routines. Hopefully she'll be on the next season.

Beth- WOHM slinggirl.gif  -Madly in love with my Wife- SAHMhola.gifandbabyf.gifSophia, born 11/2/10, at home! homebirth.jpgExpressing love, one ounce at a time!  1pump.gif

#103 of 111 Old 12-17-2009, 02:25 PM

See, I actually enjoyed their hip hop more this season than any other. Sometimes I think they get too mucked up with the story line. I agree that they should stick to the summer, though. This season went so fast that I doubt I'll remember much of it.
#104 of 111 Old 12-17-2009, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipse View Post
See, I actually enjoyed their hip hop more this season than any other. Sometimes I think they get too mucked up with the story line. I agree that they should stick to the summer, though. This season went so fast that I doubt I'll remember much of it.
I agree, I don't like the stories. I think they can be ok but sometimes they just glaze over the dancing with too much of the story.

However, I'd be happy if SYTYCD was a year-round show.
#105 of 111 Old 12-17-2009, 03:16 PM

I'm surprised that so many don't like lyrical hip hop, or hip hop with stories. For me, it seems like every other style of dance already has a story, even ballroom. Even if it's just "we're in love and happy". But with straight hip hop it seems like there is absolutely no story or even emotion if they are just dancing. I totally appreciate the dance and like watching it but without a story it's just...cool moves to me.

For me, I still remember vividly the "I'm pregnant" hip hop dance last season and the "going to Iraq" one with Katie (don't remember the season). I guess I just love Nabby's stories. They are the only ones who can make me cry watching hip hop, I guess.

#106 of 111 Old 12-17-2009, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monarchgrrl View Post
I guess it's nice that the underdog won, but eh...I don't think he should have. His story is good, but I'm just a stickler that I think it should only be about the dancing and performance and not the backstory or personality.

I also agree with a PP that they should stick to one season a year and make it worth it. This season was rushed and seemed like it was just filler. It was almost as if the choreographers were tired or uninspired. Even "Nabby" (who I LOVE!) just did straight hip hop, nothing with a story. I guess I just miss Mia Michaels' routines. Hopefully she'll be on the next season.
See, I think that the story of where they came from dance-wise, and how they grow through the show and master genres is all part of it - plus we have to remember it's America's FAVORITE dancer, not America's Best dancer.

Jacob is exquisite, and I'm sure he already has offers lined up to join productions. He came in extraordinary and left extraordinary (though I would posit that him learning different genres outside of contemporary wasn't that much of a stretch for him with the technique he had already, and he had what, one hip hop/harder dance the whole time? I think?) - he was a joy to watch no doubt and took my breath away several times. I really, really loved to watch him dance. I have no worries that if Jacob wants to be a successful professional dancer, he will be.

But Russel - RUSSELL - a street dancer. How many krumpers could do what he did - better yet, how many would *want* to do what he did? Learn to point his toes, learn about partnering and contemporary and ballroom and all of that. His growth eclipses Jacobs.

I was very pleased with the results - they went exactly the way I thought they should have, down to the order in which people were eliminated.

As for the 2 seasons in one year, I think if they start one in January, and one in like June or July, it will all be fine. I'm all for more dancing on TV, year round!!

I tried watching The Sing Off last night a little bit, and while I love singing and performing and am a total Gleek, and I enjoyed the one group, the rest of it just didn't do it for me. So I am thrilled at the prosepct of 2 seasons of dance a year.

Heather, WAHM to DS (01/04)DD (06/06). Wed to DH(09/97)
#107 of 111 Old 12-17-2009, 04:10 PM

Heather, yeah I get what you're saying. I just think America's favorite dancer should be the best dancer. I've never paid attention to "growth" on the show, personally. I don't care how much someone grows. If that was the premise then they should take all mediocre dancers and use the 6 weeks to make them amazing. (hey, someone should do that show! I'd watch it and then vote for the most improved!) But we all have our reasons for who our favorite is. It's all good. I also think the judges were way too easy on him. His paso technique was not good, but Mary gave him a pass on it because he's a krumper and his presence was good.

I think that there were much better past hip hop guys when doing other genres. Remember Hawk and Dominic?

I shouldn't be a sour puss. I really LOVE this show! It's just that every season I think the best dancer (or very close to it) won, except this season.

#108 of 111 Old 12-17-2009, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The4OfUs View Post

But Russel - RUSSELL - a street dancer. How many krumpers could do what he did - better yet, how many would *want* to do what he did? Learn to point his toes, learn about partnering and contemporary and ballroom and all of that.
But didn't he have some formal dance training, like ballet or something? I thought that he did and that they were trying to play up the unpolished street performer character to give him that appeal. I dunno, I never loved him. I was impressed by him but he just bugged me. The ripping off of his shirt annoyed me at the end

I sound like such a downer! Oops! I love this show and I thought Russell was great and I don't really know who I wanted to win.
#109 of 111 Old 12-21-2009, 03:09 PM

Quote:
But didn't he have some formal dance training, like ballet or something? I thought that he did and that they were trying to play up the unpolished street performer character to give him that appeal. I dunno, I never loved him. I was impressed by him but he just bugged me. The ripping off of his shirt annoyed me at the end

I sound like such a downer! Oops! I love this show and I thought Russell was great and I don't really know who I wanted to win.
I agree. The way he reacted at the end bugged me. I wanted Jakob to win, but I *knew* Russell would and I thought I would be OK with it. In the end though, I did not like how he reacted and I found myself disappointed. This whole season seemed rather anticlimactic and I thought it was crazy that there were so many injuries. I was also bummed about Billy Bell leaving. I hope next season is better!

: Robyn : Increasingly crunchy Mama to Kya (8) , Makena (7) , and Keegan (4) :
#110 of 111 Old 12-22-2009, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The4OfUs View Post

I was very pleased with the results - they went exactly the way I thought they should have, down to the order in which people were eliminated.
Exactly. It couldn't have been better in my opinion
#111 of 111 Old 12-22-2009, 05:37 PM

Quote:

Holy crap, I just found an article. Says he went to Boston Arts for 4 years. WOW. I mean, he's still a phenomenal dancer, but I feel a little lead on by how much they pushed the "street" image. I don't do a lot of blog reading, fan sites, etc. outside of watching the show. So I had no idea. I'll hav eot be sure to read the interviews on the Fox page next season beforehand to know their backgrounds, for sure. I don't vote anyway, I just watch for hte dancing. I'm still glad he won because I think he was more versatile than Jacob.

http://www.dose.ca/tv/Interview+Thin...018/story.html

Heather, WAHM to DS (01/04)DD (06/06). Wed to DH(09/97)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page