Homosexuality on Prime Time TV - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 44 Old 11-02-2009, 09:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
While I think Will & Grace was a good show and was important for its time, I have to say I see a whole lot more depth in the portrayals of homosexual persons and relationships coming out (no pun intended!) now.

I just erased a whole discussion on how I thought Will and Jack were too tokeny and we only "knew" they were gay but didn't really see it or feel it. I was trying to say it was all too hokey, contrived. But then I realized what the issue was-it was a comedy (like The Birdcage), still valuable, but by its nature it can't show the depth and reality that a drama or reality show can (though I fully admit even those are still contrived. I mean, L Word went pretty over the top in la la hollywood land towards the end!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 44 Old 11-14-2009, 01:50 AM

Ok... I have been holding it in but I just have to say it...

The vast majority of GLBTQ characters I see on TV, or in movies are imossibly stereotypical and it bugs the crap outta me. I'd rather they just not do it, then have the overly flamboyant, lisping and catty gay men or another equally over the top stereotype.

malesling.GIFMutant Papa to DD (12)hippie.gif and DS (2)babyf.gif, married to DHribbonrainbow.gif
If it looks like I'm trying to pick a fight... I'm not, I'm rarely that obvious.hammer.gif
#33 of 44 Old 11-14-2009, 02:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicianDad View Post

The vast majority of GLBTQ characters I see on TV, or in movies are imossibly stereotypical and it bugs the crap outta me. I'd rather they just not do it, then have the overly flamboyant, lisping and catty gay men or another equally over the top stereotype.
I always figured it was a regional thing. Like they were all supposed to be from L.A. or something?
#34 of 44 Old 11-14-2009, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyactsofcharity View Post
I don't understand how a whole demographic's TV representation could be passe?

Will and Grace was great for what it was but in our culture, we get a lot of ideas from the media so television portrayals of homosexuality are very important (IMHO) especially those like on Gray's Anatomy that focus on many other aspects and approach it in a very normal sort of way. Does that make any sense?
Yes. Sorry, I just thought it wasn't scandalous or worth mentioning if there were gay characters anymore. I really shouldn't even be participating in this discussion because I don't watch TV.

Mommy to kids

#35 of 44 Old 11-14-2009, 04:30 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire_chan View Post
I always figured it was a regional thing. Like they were all supposed to be from L.A. or something?
I think they are all just stuck in the 80s.

So what about One Life to Live, does anyone here watch that? Right now they have a number of gay characters. The one storyline was feeling heavy-handed--but I kind of liked the relationship between two of the characters when it finally got going. It's so hit and miss in soaps.
#36 of 44 Old 11-15-2009, 12:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicianDad View Post

Why hold it in? I think that's a great point and an important aspect to this discussion!

Are there any characters or storylines that you DO like or do you not see any? I will admit here that I don't watch a ton of TV. I watch only online and I only watch Heroes, Gray's, House, and Glee (I used to watch Private Practice but I am not going to anymore after the last episode) so I don't have a lot of television exposure.

Right now I'm really liking where Claire's storyline on Heroes is going. I know it was exploited and played up at first but I think it's really turning into a meaningful storyline. I hope it stays that way! I can see another Willow-type plot evolving.
#37 of 44 Old 11-15-2009, 01:32 AM

Quote:

Right now I'm really liking where Claire's storyline on Heroes is going. I know it was exploited and played up at first but I think it's really turning into a meaningful storyline. I hope it stays that way! I can see another Willow-type plot evolving.
Oh, Willow and Anya.
#38 of 44 Old 11-15-2009, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Are there any characters or storylines that you DO like or do you not see any? I will admit here that I don't watch a ton of TV. I watch only online and I only watch Heroes, Gray's, House, and Glee (I used to watch Private Practice but I am not going to anymore after the last episode) so I don't have a lot of television exposure.
None recently, I don't watch much TV. Kerry Weaver when she was on ER wasn't too bad, and there's Karl, Homer's assitant for one episode in the Simpsons from waaaaaaaaay back when. Of course there is anime, GLBTQ characters in Japanese animation tend to be normal.

malesling.GIFMutant Papa to DD (12)hippie.gif and DS (2)babyf.gif, married to DHribbonrainbow.gif
If it looks like I'm trying to pick a fight... I'm not, I'm rarely that obvious.hammer.gif
#39 of 44 Old 11-15-2009, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holiztic View Post
Oh, Willow and Anya.
Do you mean Willow and Tara? Because DH and I are just watching Buffy for the first time (we're halfway through season 6) and there is noooo Anya + Willow love, and I don't know what I'll do with myself if that becomes a plot point. Probably die.

Kris - married to Nate since 12/06, mom to Toby since 1/08. Also servant to two felines. Done having babies for medical reasons.

#40 of 44 Old 11-15-2009, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krisis View Post
Do you mean Willow and Tara? Because DH and I are just watching Buffy for the first time (we're halfway through season 6) and there is noooo Anya + Willow love, and I don't know what I'll do with myself if that becomes a plot point. Probably die.
Oh gosh, its been sooooo many years! Well, yeah, I guess I did mean Tara. I saw Tara's face in my head and wrote Anya. So who was Anya? Was she with Zander? It really has been ages, I watched them during first run and not since.

Thanks!
#41 of 44 Old 11-16-2009, 03:43 AM

Anya was with Xander for a while, but he left her at the altar sooo... yeah.

This show came out while I was in junior high so I didn't really know about it till a few years ago and I am looooving it!

Kris - married to Nate since 12/06, mom to Toby since 1/08. Also servant to two felines. Done having babies for medical reasons.

#42 of 44 Old 11-17-2009, 02:33 AM
Banned

Ok, I'm sad to report that after the pilot episode of White Collar, they switched out the lesbian (she was the parachuter from Lost, she's been in a few things), but I can't be toooo sad b/c they replaced her with the female lead from The Middleman, whom I love. But they are doing the classic hot girl/guy thing now. Anyway! Wasn't that a great episode of Glee?! And... the nephew is NOT gay on Ugly Betty, apparently. I was wondering when they would nail that down one way or the other. But UB is a great show normally about homosexuality and all forms of being marginalized. They definitely do the stereotypes, but EVERYONE is taken to the extreme on that show, so it works.
#43 of 44 Old 11-17-2009, 08:07 PM

I love Sal on Mad Men, I hope he's not gone for good. I thought he was a great example of someone living in another time, struggling with society that thinks he's wrong or bad. But we know the hippie revolution is coming to the '60's, it has already started. I'd love to see him divorce his wife, come out and still be a part of the advertising world. I mean, hell, they're in New York City for crying out loud. The old guard is just going to have to learn to live with teh gayz.

--"Mama Bear" : to DD 8/06
Tree-hugging :, queer-loving , liberal, feminist hippie mom! :
#44 of 44 Old 11-19-2009, 03:46 AM

I really love how commonplace homosexuality has become on tv, and I really feel like it has a lot to do with my generation's attitude on homosexuality, that it's no big deal. About six years ago when I was fourteen, I went through my rebellious stage where I was overwhelmingly conservative, and it was thankfully short-lived thanks to Degrassi! Even though you can say that they over-do it with the issues teens have (homosexuality, pregnancy, STDs, teasing, bullying, etc) they only have a small cast to work with, and I think they portray the dilemmas very well. And come on...who doesn't love Marco?

My favorite show of all time is Queer as Folk. Freshman year, four of my friends and I would watch it on DVD a few nights a week so we could work through most of the series. It was incredibly raunchy, and surprisingly, it bothered me less than raunchy hetero couple scenes. So now, the "controversial" same sex kissing scenes on mainstream tv hardly phase me. Oh, and Ellen is amazing! Did anyone see that the Americans they polled voted Ellen and Portia the couple they'd trust most to watch their kids, even ahead of Brad and Angie?

treehugger.gif NMY, uber-crunchy, college student, doula-in-training, health food store worker and future librarian read.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page