Homosexuality on Prime Time TV - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 44 Old 10-23-2009, 04:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Recently I have seen two wonderful coming out scenes on prime time TV shows. A few weeks ago on Glee, Kurt came out to his jock father and the scene was really heartwarming and wonderful with the father telling his son that he'd known since the child, at age three, asked for "sensible heels" for Christmas. Last week on Gray's Anatomy there was a big fight between Callie and her father where they threw biblical verse back and forth, then at the end of the show, Callie's father approached her and accepted her for who she was.

I really find this recent acceptance in popular culture to be pretty amazing. Has anyone else noticed this? Have you seen any other examples of this anywhere?
#2 of 44 Old 10-23-2009, 04:30 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
ABC's new show FlashForward has a lesbian couple.
#3 of 44 Old 10-23-2009, 05:13 AM

I've been watching "Modern Family" on Hulu. No coming out, but the gay couple adopts a baby, and there are lessons of acceptance from the father of one of the guys.

Though I have to say by far my favourite example of acceptance in popular culture (on TV) is on HGTV. Sometimes the people on their shows, IE House Hunters, are straight, and sometimes they're not, and there's no hoop-dee-doo or special show for the gay people, kwim? It's just like anything else. There's no highlighting it or make is 'gay couples edition' or some such BS.

Weirdo Mama to amazing Aurelia, age 9 & Ember Roslyn, age 3!
#4 of 44 Old 10-23-2009, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viola View Post
ABC's new show FlashForward has a lesbian couple.
I guess I got so used to L Word, etc on cable (even teen canadian show Degrassi) that when the kiss on FF happened last night and DH said something to the effect of "good for them (them being ABC)" I said, "huh?" and then realized it was ABC (owned by Disney, right?)
#5 of 44 Old 10-23-2009, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjorker View Post
I've been watching "Modern Family" on Hulu. No coming out, but the gay couple adopts a baby, and there are lessons of acceptance from the father of one of the guys.

Though I have to say by far my favourite example of acceptance in popular culture (on TV) is on HGTV. Sometimes the people on their shows, IE House Hunters, are straight, and sometimes they're not, and there's no hoop-dee-doo or special show for the gay people, kwim? It's just like anything else. There's no highlighting it or make is 'gay couples edition' or some such BS.
Yep, HGTV is very matter of fact - this is just life. But I do love Modern Family! Not just the gay couple, but all of them

, , , and
#6 of 44 Old 10-25-2009, 12:39 PM
Banned

I have been enjoying this lately. Disney's always been great about this sort of thing. Well, great for a big old media company. I loved the Kurt episode (not only b/c I have students JUST like and I'm glad they can find themselves on TV just like their friends) and last night we watched the beginning of USA's White Collar and instead of making the obvious move of the hot young partner going for the hot young reformed criminal, she's a lesbian I feel like women are underrepresented when it comes to gay characters, who are already scarce. And I had noticed that about HGTV-- very cool
#7 of 44 Old 10-25-2009, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holiztic View Post
I guess I got so used to L Word, etc on cable (even teen canadian show Degrassi) that when the kiss on FF happened last night and DH said something to the effect of "good for them (them being ABC)" I said, "huh?" and then realized it was ABC (owned by Disney, right?)
I love Degrassi!

Mom to REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif(12), bikenew.gif(7), energy.gif(5),  guitar.gif(4), baby.gif (born 7/8/11), dog2.gif, and chicken3.gif

#8 of 44 Old 10-25-2009, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuburbanHippie View Post
I love Degrassi!
I am happy to hear you say this! My DH teases me endlessly that I watch a show about teenagers! Wait, you're not 17 are you?
#9 of 44 Old 10-26-2009, 10:36 AM

LOL. Nope! 29! My DH teases me too. My little sister (21) turned me onto the show last year and thanks to The N's constant marathons I have watched every episode.

Mom to REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif(12), bikenew.gif(7), energy.gif(5),  guitar.gif(4), baby.gif (born 7/8/11), dog2.gif, and chicken3.gif

#10 of 44 Old 10-28-2009, 12:28 AM - Thread Starter

I love Degrassi. Anytime we go visit DP's mom for the weekend, I stay up watching Degrassi marathons.

I DID start watching it as a teenager though....
#11 of 44 Old 10-28-2009, 12:47 AM

ITA with all of this! i was on bedrest for 2 months and watched HGTV almost around the clock, and it is refreshing how they cast gay/straight/interracial couples with no fanfare or malice. AND i caught the White Collar premier (that guy is HOT!) and liked the twist. hopefully more stations and shows will follow suit.

Lisa mama to Adrian born 3/09 by unnecessarean
#2 is coming in May 2011! planning for a home vbac.gif
#12 of 44 Old 10-28-2009, 12:51 AM

I was also thinking about Flash Forward, since it's on network TV (that and DH has mentioned the couple twice today )

Not prime time, but my soap OLTL has a gay men love triangle storyline that has been going on for a bit.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#13 of 44 Old 10-28-2009, 01:07 AM

This is why I love Mothering. If you hang out at any of the network forums for the different shows, everyone is always in an uproar over Hollywood's so called gay agenda.

So annoying.

I miss the L Word. Love Kurt on Glee!
#14 of 44 Old 10-28-2009, 10:32 AM

I forgot to mention Heroes on NBC. Very main character Claire just started college and there was this freaky girl "stalking" her. Yeah, I was worried about where that was going. BUT they turned it into a set up where the girl is not freaky or stalking Claire, just likes her. They kissed 2 weeks ago. Claire (straight so far) reacted perfectly. Unsure, a little intrigued, but not at all flipped out.

Last episode they had the girl who set up Gretchen (Claire's friend) trying to kill her (Gretchen). DH and I said "oh, that's the easy way out of having a same sex relationship on the show, they got the shock factor of the kiss but don't have to write an actual relationship." But Gretchen survived, and when she said to Claire "I know, you like me, just not that way" Claire got a little (sweet) smile on her face and said something to the effect of "don't be so sure about that"

Hmmmmm.....
#15 of 44 Old 10-28-2009, 10:54 AM

It wasn't that long ago (well, maybe I'm older than I thought, sigh) when Ellen came out and people weren't really comfortable with it.

I consider Ellen coming out to be kind of the pivotal moment, because after people had time to get used to it (a few years I think) they kind of changed their minds. Ellen is back in business, and other actors and characters come out and it's kind of standard.
#16 of 44 Old 10-28-2009, 05:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by seashells View Post
It wasn't that long ago (well, maybe I'm older than I thought, sigh) when Ellen came out and people weren't really comfortable with it.

I consider Ellen coming out to be kind of the pivotal moment, because after people had time to get used to it (a few years I think) they kind of changed their minds. Ellen is back in business, and other actors and characters come out and it's kind of standard.
I remember when Ellen came out (I'm sorry, I have to tell you how old I was for the context of the story) everyone in my school was in a total tizzy. The other kids were saying pretty hateful things that I'm sure they were getting from their parents (4th graders don't make that stuff up) but my house was very anti-pop-culture so we didn't really discuss it. I do agree that it was absolutely a pivotal moment though because 4th graders NOW, 12 years later, don't think gay and immediately jump to "Ellen" like we did. Now it's something that is considerably more accepted which is NOT to say that there is not more work to be done- there always is!!
#17 of 44 Old 10-28-2009, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I forgot to mention Heroes on NBC. Very main character Claire just started college and there was this freaky girl "stalking" her. Yeah, I was worried about where that was going. BUT they turned it into a set up where the girl is not freaky or stalking Claire, just likes her. They kissed 2 weeks ago. Claire (straight so far) reacted perfectly. Unsure, a little intrigued, but not at all flipped out.

Last episode they had the girl who set up Gretchen (Claire's friend) trying to kill her (Gretchen). DH and I said "oh, that's the easy way out of having a same sex relationship on the show, they got the shock factor of the kiss but don't have to write an actual relationship." But Gretchen survived, and when she said to Claire "I know, you like me, just not that way" Claire got a little (sweet) smile on her face and said something to the effect of "don't be so sure about that"

Hmmmmm.....
I thought that I was going to hate this storyline because it seemed like real gaysploitation the way they were advertising it and playing it up but I am actually starting to like it. I think it's kinda cute.
#18 of 44 Old 10-28-2009, 07:32 PM

"Brothers & Sisters" has a gay brother who is planning on starting a family with his husband.

I love this show- it's my "Sunday night show"!
#19 of 44 Old 10-28-2009, 07:47 PM

My parents refuse to watch any show ever again if there's even a hint of homosexuality on it. Pretty soon they're going to have to give up TV!!!
#20 of 44 Old 10-28-2009, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miasmommy View Post
"Brothers & Sisters" has a gay brother who is planning on starting a family with his husband.

I love this show- it's my "Sunday night show"!
Love Brothers & Sisters

Last year they were constantly making out and jumping in bed. I did appreciate their commentary of Gilles Marini this week

mama to   broc1.gif DS 6/06 and banana.gif DS 4/08
#21 of 44 Old 10-28-2009, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BedHead View Post
My parents refuse to watch any show ever again if there's even a hint of homosexuality on it. Pretty soon they're going to have to give up TV!!!
I'm sure I have a number of those in my family
#22 of 44 Old 10-28-2009, 11:41 PM

I'm not really liking the Claire, Heroes story line...meh still good that they are showing it...even if it's just for teenage boy ratings

House has had gay characters. Had a gay man as a patient and a female couple had a sick baby who died in another episode

mommy daddy son daughter = our family
#23 of 44 Old 10-29-2009, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caiesmommy View Post
I'm not really liking the Claire, Heroes story line...meh still good that they are showing it...even if it's just for teenage boy ratings.
I don't mean to disagree, but I don't see this at all. First of all--there is no guy involved. Usually when they "do it for the guys" there is somehow a guy involved--interested in one of the girls or somehow taunted by the girls' affections. Right? Also, I wouldn't put Gretchen in the category of being a man's fantasy at all (either her looks or the way she's written).

Just the way I see it.
#24 of 44 Old 10-29-2009, 10:41 AM

Quote:
I don't mean to disagree, but I don't see this at all. First of all--there is no guy involved. Usually when they "do it for the guys" there is somehow a guy involved--interested in one of the girls or somehow taunted by the girls' affections. Right? Also, I wouldn't put Gretchen in the category of being a man's fantasy at all (either her looks or the way she's written).

Just the way I see it.
I do agree on the Gretchen not being a "fantasy" but I think my issue was the way it was advertised pre-season...sadly that's the storyline I feel was presented the most and has the least to do with character plot.

mommy daddy son daughter = our family
#25 of 44 Old 10-29-2009, 07:29 PM

What an interesting discussion! I've been noticing it too. I loved Callie's scene in Grey's Anatomy and was pleasantly surprised by the lesbian characters in FlashForward. And yes, I agree that HGTV rocks at displaying all kinds of families and has done so for many years.

Having said all that, I hear about the "homosexual agenda" from my family and my partner's family. They feel that it's in their face and blatant and way too much. Maybe that will get better with time, maybe not.

And Ellen, you gotta love Ellen and the way she just keeps on keeping on. I try to be like her (granted on a much, much smaller scale, lol). I have a lot of respect for the way she is out, everyone knows about Portia, everyone knows they got married. But it's not what Ellen is about, it doesn't define her. Heck, it hardly even factors in to her show. I'm a fan! People who are homophobic seem much more open to this approach.

Me and DP, No children yet, but we plan on having kids someday. I'm trying to lose weight and get fit. Ask if I've done my push-ups this week.
#26 of 44 Old 11-01-2009, 01:13 AM

United States of Tara - the son Marshall is gay and they are accepting and supportive of him.

The Amazing Race - most seasons have a same sex couple team.

I think their was a gay wedding between a couple of the officers on The Bill and one of the DC's Jo Masters is a lesbian.

Sam, mum to: Ian, James, Lottie, Maddy, Jack, Ruby, Bronte & Sophia and Nate
#27 of 44 Old 11-01-2009, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baltic_ballet View Post
United States of Tara - the son Marshall is gay and they are accepting and supportive of him.
Well, if we're going to branch out into cable (esp. premium) dramas, the list goes on and on!
#28 of 44 Old 11-01-2009, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Well, if we're going to branch out into cable (esp. premium) dramas, the list goes on and on!
Sorry, I am in Australia and don't know what's on prime time and what's on cable in the States

Sam, mum to: Ian, James, Lottie, Maddy, Jack, Ruby, Bronte & Sophia and Nate
#29 of 44 Old 11-02-2009, 12:46 AM

I thought gay characters were pretty passe! I don't watch TV anymore, but wasn't Will & Grace on for years?

Mommy to kids

#30 of 44 Old 11-02-2009, 02:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuamami View Post
I thought gay characters were pretty passe! I don't watch TV anymore, but wasn't Will & Grace on for years?
I don't understand how a whole demographic's TV representation could be passe?

Will and Grace was great for what it was but in our culture, we get a lot of ideas from the media so television portrayals of homosexuality are very important (IMHO) especially those like on Gray's Anatomy that focus on many other aspects and approach it in a very normal sort of way. Does that make any sense?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page