Another Commercials you can't stand thread - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-23-2009, 08:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone else game for another one of these threads? I hope this is allowed still. I know the old one was closed but it may have just been too old and I don't see another one like it, tho I may have missed it.

Anyway - I just saw a walmart commercial and all the "customers" complaining about making - well - anything (dinner, dessert, salsa) and the employee showing them these gadgets will practically make it for you...... erg. Seriously - salsa??? That hard huh? How lazy are we as a society.......

attached to DH superhero.gif 10/03, DD1 blahblah.gif 8/06, DD2 bouncy.gif 12/07, DD3 energy.gif 5/09, DD4 slinggirl.gif 11/12

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2009, 09:09 AM

I hate ALL Walmart commercials . Like Walmart is the answer to everyone's problems!

Magic Jack is right up there too. And there's this one auto glass one that's so repetitive, it's so annoying.

Old 10-24-2009, 02:11 PM

The Busch's Baked Bean ads. If you are so smart that you created a bean empire, then why can't you see that your dog is trying to sabbotage you? For some reason, this ad campaign drives me insane!!

Julieknit.gif, DP to modifiedartist.gif, mama to DD (7)dust.gif , and DS (5)joy.gif

Old 10-24-2009, 02:49 PM

There's an ad for some baby formula (not sure which one, since I try my best NOT to watch the commercial), that shows mom and baby interacting and the voiceover says, "you take care of his imagination, etc. we'll take care of his immune system."

Between the patronizing script (it totally strikes me as "don't worry your pretty little head about it") and the fact that formula just can't compare to the immune-boosting properties of breastmilk, I get mad just thinking about it.

Grrrrr!!

Amy loving DH 5/04, raising DD 2/05 and DS 11/09; missing my mom& my babies 6/07, 12/07; and on the side
Old 10-24-2009, 03:07 PM

This is going to sound angry and irrational.....

I HATE the stupid Kohl's commercials with the stupid killer Kohl's deals.

The women in their fruity weird outfits getting their hair done/primping in the bathroom raving about how "Cindy rocked a killer Kohl's sale" make me want to barf.

Seriously. Really irks me.

Not all women are obsessed with primping and shopping. It makes me violently angry and repulses me. I'll never shop there.

LOL Rawr! I just want to poke my eyes out and shove sticks into my ears when those commercials come on.
Old 10-24-2009, 03:11 PM

There is a creepy, poorly acted commercial for an eyedrop called Restasis that I've seen several times on the Hallmark Channel. The dialogue is so odd, and the whole thing is just WEIRD. It gives me the creeps. I've only seen it during the Golden Girls reruns late at night so I don't know if it plays on network tv or not, has anyone else seen it?

Also, the Ambien CR commercial that shows people getting a good night's sleep and the voice-over goes on and on about the possible side effects, including aggressive or sexual behavior that is out of character, driving or eating while asleep, amnesia, and death

My Etsy Shop
Acorn Dolls~Wool Felt Crowns~Children's Craft Kits~Shooting Stars~Dancing Fairy Rings~Come On Over and Play!
Old 10-24-2009, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notjustmamie View Post
There's an ad for some baby formula (not sure which one, since I try my best NOT to watch the commercial), that shows mom and baby interacting and the voiceover says, "you take care of his imagination, etc. we'll take care of his immune system."

Between the patronizing script (it totally strikes me as "don't worry your pretty little head about it") and the fact that formula just can't compare to the immune-boosting properties of breastmilk, I get mad just thinking about it.

Grrrrr!!
is that the same one with the doctor who says "I tell new moms to be picky" and then tells them how this new enfamil is the best yet, the closest to breast milk. Gee .. here's a thought .. save yourself the thousands of dollars in formula and bottles and accessories and just fricken breast feed. UGH!!

Of how about the other walmart commercial that says "People who spend $100 a week at the leading grocery store, could have saved $55 a month at walmart". It really bothers me that they try to make it sound like you would paying half the amount at walmart, like people can't see that they are comparing weeks to months.

OR the one about Chinese food. How does a family of four spend $50 on Chinese?! DP and I get it rarely and we usually spend around $15, maybe $20. And that's just two people.

Ugh. I hate walmart.

Me with my baby girl Maeleigh (Oct 08) and My (step) baby girl Whren (May 05) in Heaven with her mommy .. And introducing our little JuneBug (June 10) We heard the !!!
Old 10-25-2009, 04:34 AM

There is this horrible commercial (it may have been on the radio) about how this guy is a janitor because he didn't get to play sports as a child and how important sports are for your child's future!

What a horrid message! It was serious too, they weren't making a joke like the "sports skills are life skills" commercials.

I thought it was a really mean commercial. Just because your child doesn't play sports doesn't mean they won't have a "future." And there's nothing wrong with being a janitor!

Carly BFing Mom to DS and loving wife to DH
Old 10-25-2009, 04:35 AM

my least favorites-
the credit card one where the husband wants to take a trip with their saved up rewards and the wife has spent them all on a dress- and he just smiles at her like, oh honey, you and your silly selfish shopping problems.. seeing you in that dress is WAY better than going on vacation!

the brooke shields eyelash one- latisse i think (i watch mainly hulu so i'm not sure if its a tv ad as well) where they talk about permanent discoloration of your eyelids and iris.. great..

i too hate the "we'll nurture his immune system" formula ad. it is angry-making.

pretty much all the drug commercials. there was a diarreah med once that listed, among its million side effects, constipation or severe diarreah.

treehugger.gif *CPST*  mama to my three year old DS1 broc1.gif1.31.09 and wedded to angel 8.07  hola.gif

DS 2  waterbirth.jpg 8/18/12!!

Old 10-25-2009, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadiMamacita View Post
my least favorites-
the credit card one where the husband wants to take a trip with their saved up rewards and the wife has spent them all on a dress- and he just smiles at her like, oh honey, you and your silly selfish shopping problems.. seeing you in that dress is WAY better than going on vacation!
I know that one! If I were the husband I would be bummed out about that dress for sure.

My Etsy Shop
Acorn Dolls~Wool Felt Crowns~Children's Craft Kits~Shooting Stars~Dancing Fairy Rings~Come On Over and Play!
Old 10-25-2009, 05:23 AM

Location: back in the GREAT state of Minnesota! oh how i have missed you!
thanks god for DVR!!!

but that headache one kills me! i hate it!

Your life doesnât change by the man whos elected. If your loved by someone you can't be rejected... decide what to be and go be it! If your a caged bird brake in and demand that somebody free it.
Old 10-26-2009, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caro113 View Post

OR the one about Chinese food. How does a family of four spend $50 on Chinese?! DP and I get it rarely and we usually spend around $15, maybe $20. And that's just two people.

Ugh. I hate walmart.
I haven't seen the Chinese food one but I see the one where they say how it's $5 per person to take your family out to breakfast (they seem to be implying a fast food place). But you can give your family a wal-mart breakfast for like $2 per person, saving whatever $$ every year.

Yes, if you go out to breakfast every day! And I suppose some people do that but I'm guessing your average wal-mart shopper doesn't.
Old 10-26-2009, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadiMamacita View Post
the brooke shields eyelash one- latisse i think (i watch mainly hulu so i'm not sure if its a tv ad as well) where they talk about permanent discoloration of your eyelids and iris.. great..
They do show the Latisse one on regular TV. My mom and I saw it and she said that Latisse is the eye drops my dad uses for glaucoma. My dad actually has to go get his eyelashes trimmed because they grow so long so it works for him (not that he really cares though). But it seems weird to me to be using a drug for glaucoma just to grow eyelashes. Even if you paint it on your lids, wouldn't some still get in your eye? Couldn't that cause problems?
Old 10-26-2009, 03:21 PM

Yes, yes it could. From what I understand, it also costs around $200 a pop as well. : I think I'll stick with my little $8 tube of L'Oreal, thanks.

The one that irritates the fire out of me is the stupid gaggle of girls sitting around a TV when the evil yellow bathing suit birth control commercial comes on, then the one girl chirps "oh turn it up! this is my favorite commercial!" as she's singing along, all preceeding a very serious "you know, girls, we need to talk about birth control" convo. Yes. Because this is the '50s so we need the patronizing tone of the ad. Bonus points since women really behave that way too. :

It probably doesn't help that I couldn't stand the original commercial.

"I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult." â E.B. White
Old 10-26-2009, 03:28 PM

Yes, ALL drug commercials suck too.

Another one I HATE is the "I-Can't-believe-it's-Not-Butter" ones with "The Butterton's" . Yeah, that nasty hydrogenated mess of fake oils is MUCH better than REAL butter from REAL cream!

Old 10-26-2009, 03:32 PM

The new Charmin commercial with the bears bugs me. The little bear has TP stuck all over his bottom. Totally grosses me out. They really show that on tv? Grody!

Baking,, Chuck Taylor Wearing, , SAHMom of 2.
Old 10-26-2009, 04:31 PM

The drug commercials make me want to scream. Luckily, I have a DVR so no commercials for me anymore! If I happen to watch something live, I have to mute the tv or I get really ticked off when I see drug commercials. "Don't treat the problem, just treat the symptoms" should be their national slogan.

Mom to REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif(12), bikenew.gif(7), energy.gif(5),  guitar.gif(4), baby.gif (born 7/8/11), dog2.gif, and chicken3.gif

Old 10-27-2009, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olliepop View Post
The new Charmin commercial with the bears bugs me. The little bear has TP stuck all over his bottom. Totally grosses me out. They really show that on tv? Grody!
Yes! That disturbs me too. Yuck!

Carly BFing Mom to DS and loving wife to DH
Old 10-27-2009, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindberg99 View Post
I haven't seen the Chinese food one but I see the one where they say how it's $5 per person to take your family out to breakfast (they seem to be implying a fast food place). But you can give your family a wal-mart breakfast for like $2 per person, saving whatever $$ every year.

Yes, if you go out to breakfast every day! And I suppose some people do that but I'm guessing your average wal-mart shopper doesn't.
YES!!! I'm always going, "Where are you going to eat???"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama~Love View Post
Another one I HATE is the "I-Can't-believe-it's-Not-Butter" ones with "The Butterton's" . Yeah, that nasty hydrogenated mess of fake oils is MUCH better than REAL butter from REAL cream!
We can't do butter right now because of dairy issues...but I do hate this commercial. I hate that everyone thinks you have to eat low fat/low cholesterol/low salt/low everything to be healthy! We use lard in our cooking when we have it. We also don't sit and watch TV all weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuburbanHippie View Post
The drug commercials make me want to scream. Luckily, I have a DVR so no commercials for me anymore! If I happen to watch something live, I have to mute the tv or I get really ticked off when I see drug commercials. "Don't treat the problem, just treat the symptoms" should be their national slogan.
We like to make fun of the "side effects" list. I'm always thinking, "Hmm, I think I'd rather have allergies/heartburn/headache"

Of course, we don't have TV and watch everything online...so I'm out of the loop on a lot of commercials.

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
Old 10-27-2009, 02:02 PM

The drug commercial with the black figures...like a real person walking around talking that is completely blacked out like a shadow. Creeps me out big time every time I see it.

ETA - Symbicort!

coolshine.gif

Old 10-27-2009, 02:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aprons_and_acorns View Post
Also, the Ambien CR commercial that shows people getting a good night's sleep and the voice-over goes on and on about the possible side effects, including aggressive or sexual behavior that is out of character, driving or eating while asleep, amnesia, and death
My DH took an ambien of mine one time (this is before I got crunchified) and I can attest that he had several...um...side effects....that he has no recollection of. It made for an odd evening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama~Love View Post

I watch those while eating food loaded with butter. It cracks me up that they say, "back then we didn't know much about saturated fat and cholesterol". Um, you apparently still don't.

The Gardasil ones make me want to barf.

Or how about the NFL commercials advertising to find a way to get kids to "play for 60 minutes a day". Are you kidding me??? What is wrong with this world if we have to go online to figure out ideas of how to get kids to play. Oy.

Elizabeth - Doing life with Scott partners.gif

SAHM to Evelyn - my crazy little Celiac (4) energy.gif Annabelle (2)  love.gif and Abraham (born 6/20) buddamomimg1.png
adoptionheart-1.gif  Follow our journey  mdcblog5.gif

Old 10-27-2009, 05:33 PM

The Quizzno (sp?) commerical's where the oven is talking to the employee and there are all kinds of sexual innuendos creeps me out.

The worst commerical I ever saw (well heard, it was on the radio) was a Burger Kind commerial comparing a man's desire for a hamburger to a woman's time of the month this was right about the time I was have horrible mood swings/ anxiety 2 weeks out of every month because of my period. I do not eat burger king anymore...

Gardasil commerical's = :Puke

SAHM to my baby girl Ella (12/09) wife to the love of my life practicing/believing in
Old 10-28-2009, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuburbanHippie View Post

LMAO I know, right? That is so true!
Old 10-29-2009, 01:12 AM

Tylenol commercials - they show all those naked people who cringe in pain, it's just creepy.

Walmart Halloween commercial - all those nasty candies and then children's Tylenol to cure the achy tummy

Flu shot commercials- Walgreens, CVS - BARF!

Johnson & Johnson baby wash - a voice from the off says "Your doctor's guidance, your mother's advice, your instincts" - right, cause what my doc and mom say is more important than my mother's instinct.

All the formula and diaper ads in parenting magazines... Patronizing and borderline-shameless lies.
Old 10-29-2009, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evie's Mama View Post
Or how about the NFL commercials advertising to find a way to get kids to "play for 60 minutes a day". Are you kidding me??? What is wrong with this world if we have to go online to figure out ideas of how to get kids to play. Oy.
DH hates this one. He thinks it looks like NFL players are kidnapping kids.

obstruct livery vehicles

Old 10-29-2009, 02:17 AM

These are hilarious (hideous?)

I hate hate HATE walmart commercials.

And 'junk' convenience food commercials. Because all it takes for your kid to like you (the idiot parent) is handing them corn syrup filled hydrogenated CRAP after a day at the 'miserable' school LEARNING things (oh the horrors ).

I mean, I'm an ardent homeschooler and I hate how that's depicted, ykwim?

GOOD moms let their kids lick the beaters. GREAT moms turn off the mixer first!
Humanist Woman Wife , & Friend Plus Mama to 6 (3 mos, 2, 9, 13, 17, 20)
Old 10-29-2009, 02:35 AM

Am I the only one who hates the Geico gecko more than anything else, even the drug commercials?

It's not that the stay-at-home-parent gets to stay home with the kids. The kids get to stay home with a parent. Lucky Mom to DD1 (4 y) and DD2 (18 mo), Wife to Mercenary Dad
Old 10-29-2009, 04:05 AM

Any commercial with Brooke Shields- there are a few! Colgate Total, Latisse ("How's that possible?") and the worst one- the Volkswagen commercial she did- people having babies just to buy cars. Dumb. I think she has sold her soul to the commercial devil.
Old 10-29-2009, 11:42 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal_R View Post
DH hates this one. He thinks it looks like NFL players are kidnapping kids.
I've never thought of it that way!

I thought of another. The pop-tart commercials..."they rise and you make them shine" by giving them pop-tarts?!?!? They're put out there like they're a healthy food because they're strawberry flavored? Geesh.

Elizabeth - Doing life with Scott partners.gif

SAHM to Evelyn - my crazy little Celiac (4) energy.gif Annabelle (2)  love.gif and Abraham (born 6/20) buddamomimg1.png
adoptionheart-1.gif  Follow our journey  mdcblog5.gif

Old 10-29-2009, 02:22 PM

The commercials for Free Credit Report infuriate me, specifically this one with the young guy playing his guitar and singing:

"Well I married my dream girl,
Yeah, I married my dream girl.
But she didn't tell me her credit was bad.
So instead of living in a pleasant suburb,
We're living in the basement at her mom and dad's.
We can't get a loan
For a respectable home
All because my girl defaulted on some old credit cards.
If I had visited Free Credit Report.com,
I'd be a happy Bachelor with a dog and a yard."

Like a woman is nothing more than her credit score, and she's standing between him and material happiness. Even my DH, who is typically oblivious to sexism and objectification of women in commercials and the media is offended by this one!

About me: I  caffix.giftreehugger.gifcold.gifknit.gifphotosmile2.gif, and read.gif. Oh, and I'm dizzy.gif with love.gif for DH and DCx3!

User Tag List