Walking in a Winter Dugger-land... PLEASE REVIEW FIRST POST BEFORE POSTING - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 156 Old 02-16-2010, 11:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Josie has grown sooo much so hard to see her and the family struggling. I hope the lower bowel perforation heals fully and she will continue to thrive.

I thought it was so cute when Michelle said she was the "dairy queen making milk for little Josie"

All those kids sliding down the stairs made me and cringe at how sore that would make me. But it looks like fun for sure.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#122 of 156 Old 02-17-2010, 12:45 AM

I hope things continue to get better for Josie. It is such a sad situation.

I really, really like Jana. She seems so sweet.... I hope she follows her midwifery dream she once had. She would be the kind of midwife I would want!

All I could do this episode was cringe whenever the kids were shown playing in that beautiful old house. I would have been given a talkin' to if I was running around and banging up a house like that.
#123 of 156 Old 02-17-2010, 02:58 AM

Location: back in the GREAT state of Minnesota! oh how i have missed you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by KristyDi View Post
I think it was a padded ring sling. I saw the shoulder area in one of the shots while they were sitting on the plane and I couldn't see the rings it did look like the padded shoulder was folded or pleated into what could be rings.

Josh annoys me much less than he used to and I agree that Anna seems more confident and comfortable on camera now. I do think it's sweet how affectionate they are with each other.
it was a ring sling! i just watched the re-run and you can see it clear as day when they first get to the airport...

Your life doesnât change by the man whos elected. If your loved by someone you can't be rejected... decide what to be and go be it! If your a caged bird brake in and demand that somebody free it.
#124 of 156 Old 02-18-2010, 12:01 AM

3 things about the most recent episode:

1) That house is GORGEOUS.
2) I love that Michelle was pumping during the taping.
3) I wish someone would tell them to take that goofy fake pigtail headband off little Jordyn.
#125 of 156 Old 02-18-2010, 02:01 AM

Location: back in the GREAT state of Minnesota! oh how i have missed you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuits & Gravy View Post
3 things about the most recent episode:

1) That house is GORGEOUS.
2) I love that Michelle was pumping during the taping.
3) I wish someone would tell them to take that goofy fake pigtail headband off little Jordyn.
those were fake i could not tell... oh thats funny!

i loved that she pumped and made it seem so normal by calling herself the Dairy Queen!!!

Your life doesnât change by the man whos elected. If your loved by someone you can't be rejected... decide what to be and go be it! If your a caged bird brake in and demand that somebody free it.
#126 of 156 Old 02-22-2010, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuits & Gravy View Post
I didn't notice the fake pigtail but hated the big honkin bow.

Proud *single* mom to 3 amazing kiddos
#127 of 156 Old 02-22-2010, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetmama26 View Post
Does anyone know where I can find episodes online? We cut our cable and I absolutely adore this show, cried so much for the special delivery of Josie.
Did you find anywhere to watch the episodes online? I've missed all the 19 and counting episodes!

Can anybody point me to the right direction?

Sarah. Married to my Mirus, raising my DD1 (Aug. '09) and my DD2 (March '11) and waiting for my newest (April '14)!
#128 of 156 Old 02-22-2010, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dislocator3972 View Post
Did you find anywhere to watch the episodes online? I've missed all the 19 and counting episodes!

Can anybody point me to the right direction?

Nope haven't found out at all.

Krys(29) DP to Ad (32)
~Attachment, co-sleeping parents to CJ (10/08)~ Mama to an angel baby born at 25.5 weeks Sophie (01/10)

#129 of 156 Old 02-22-2010, 04:58 PM

The hour long special was on YouTube in 6 segments. The other episodes haven't been though (and it was good quality, not just someone videotaping their TV).

ETA: All the episodes are on iTunes, but you have to pay

Not momma yet, but momma to a ton of furry, scaly, slimy and feathery critters. whale.gifribbongreen.gif
#130 of 156 Old 02-24-2010, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proxi View Post
I hope things continue to get better for Josie. It is such a sad situation.
I am hoping the same. As a parent of a nicu graduate, we know EXACTLY what is wrong and how well she is doing. Sadly, the show is painting a rosy picture which is not the case. But they need to keep something private and I respect that. Also watching this, DH and I keep seeing the exceptional care our dd received 4 years ago and the nicu little josie is in is way way behind in nicu care.

But yes, pray for this baby and also kudos to Michelle for being the dairy queen, BTDT myself!

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#131 of 156 Old 02-24-2010, 02:52 AM

I am so happy that Josie is continuing to improve.

It was fun to see them giving blood and funny watching Jim Bob's reaction.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#132 of 156 Old 03-02-2010, 03:47 AM

It was a fun episode overall, I loved how Jim-Bob was all, "I was the most scared, but I didn't let the girls see it." and then Jana said, "Yeah, Dad was really nervous compared to the rest of us. He always talks a lot and makes silly jokes when he is nervous." That was so cute. Plus, I love Jana. She seems so serene and mature for a 20 year old.

I didn't like how Jim-Bob just told the girls they were giving blood though. Did that bug anyone else? I mean sure, they could have said Nope, not going.... but A - That would have made them look really bad, and B - would they even do that? Would that be "submissive" or whatever in their minds?

I mean, my husband totally thinks I should give blood (and granted he is not my Dad, but whatever, the only comparison I have right now), but I haven't been able to get over my fear yet. I am thinking maybe this summer... but if someone told me I was going and giving it that day I would freak out!
#133 of 156 Old 03-02-2010, 04:05 AM

Yeah I noticed as well. Really there was no way they could say no without looking bad.

#134 of 156 Old 03-02-2010, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proxi View Post
It was a fun episode overall, I loved how Jim-Bob was all, "I was the most scared, but I didn't let the girls see it." and then Jana said, "Yeah, Dad was really nervous compared to the rest of us. He always talks a lot and makes silly jokes when he is nervous." That was so cute. Plus, I love Jana. She seems so serene and mature for a 20 year old.

I didn't like how Jim-Bob just told the girls they were giving blood though. Did that bug anyone else? I mean sure, they could have said Nope, not going.... but A - That would have made them look really bad, and B - would they even do that? Would that be "submissive" or whatever in their minds?

I mean, my husband totally thinks I should give blood (and granted he is not my Dad, but whatever, the only comparison I have right now), but I haven't been able to get over my fear yet. I am thinking maybe this summer... but if someone told me I was going and giving it that day I would freak out!
i couldn't decide if it bugged me or not but yeah I think they just should have been told in advance and then if they really didn't want to, they shouldn't have to. I mean, yes, they weren't forced to do it, but just put on the spot.

I think Jana is super precious. I also think she will make an excellent midwife if she continues working in that direction.
#135 of 156 Old 03-03-2010, 05:12 PM

I agree that Jim-Bob really put the girls on the spot and I didn't like the way he said "We're going. . ." I think it's possible that his own nervousness could have made it difficult for him to consider how he was putting them in what could be an awkward position.

Kristy, wife to Josh proud mama to Katie: since 3/08 and Emma since 8/12.

#136 of 156 Old 03-03-2010, 06:45 PM

The commercial for next weeks show causes me to tear up every time I see it. You can see the contentment and bliss on Michelle's face when she is sitting there holding Josie for the first time. I actually could almost read her mind "thank you God"

#137 of 156 Old 03-10-2010, 01:19 AM

I thought tonight's show was really nice. This is the most positive discussion of the Duggar's I've seen some I'm trying to avoid other places. I'll just post here.

--Their school looks like ours. A lot of noise, a lot of moving around, all kinds of stuff going on. But somehow the kids learn.
--Loved seeing the kids learning together or helping each other learn
--I. Love. Hanny. She's amazing. So precocious and opinionated and verbal. A lot like my middle son who's close to her in age. I think she is (like my son) one who marches to the beat of a different drummer, and I think it's neat that the Duggar family dynamics allow that at least a little. I liked how they handled the submarine issue (from last week) too. They asked her to try, she didn't want to, so they didn't force her to go down, and given a little time, she motivated herself to be brave and check out the inside of the sub.
--Nice to see Michelle finally get to hold Josie skin to skin. I can't imagine how tough it must have been not to be able to hold her own baby.
--Whoever marries John-David is going to be one lucky gal. Such a nice kid. They replayed last week's show and I saw he and his next younger brother back at the Duggar homestead working together to repair a water pipe break. Amazing that he can take that kind of responsibility and that he's skilled enough for his dad to trust him with his rental properties. He pretty obviously enjoys it, too. And nice to see him building his friendship with his brother.
--Did I see little boys learning how to help in the kitchen? Yes I did. (
#138 of 156 Old 03-10-2010, 04:10 AM

Does anyone know the name of the homeschool programs they are using? I am looking for a video - type thing for my young children but have no clue what they were watching . . .

However, does using that type of multimedia-based curriculum take the personalization out of homeschooling? It seems like far less parent-child interaction than the homeschooling they used to do "around the kitchen table".

Akie, single mom to M (02/18/06), E (08/04/07) and Z (06/22/09)
#139 of 156 Old 03-10-2010, 04:10 PM

I believe they use Switched on Schoolhouse.

The other question might be an interesting topic to bring up in "Learning at Home".
#140 of 156 Old 03-10-2010, 05:50 PM

I fell asleep, so will have to watch in Thursday on Discovery Health.

Mom to DS(8), DS(6), DD(4), and DS(1).  "Kids do as well as they can."

#141 of 156 Old 03-10-2010, 06:28 PM

Just discovered this thread; I've been hooked on the Duggars for awhile and glad to see its not just me!

I'm especially interested since Josie's been born. I'm a NICU nurse and it's especially hard to watch knowing what I know.

But I have to say, I was so sad when I heard that was only the FIRST time she's held her. I don't know really what the situation is with Josie, but where I work we get babies out to kangaroo care ASAP, even on vents with central lines. Too bad she wasn't my patient; she'd be holding her a month ago

Looking forward to next week!

Wife, mother of 2
#142 of 156 Old 03-10-2010, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heymama1+1 View Post
But I have to say, I was so sad when I heard that was only the FIRST time she's held her. I don't know really what the situation is with Josie, but where I work we get babies out to kangaroo care ASAP, even on vents with central lines. Too bad she wasn't my patient; she'd be holding her a month ago
I was wondering why they couldn't hold her at all, but just assumed it was something to do with micropreemies.

#143 of 156 Old 03-10-2010, 08:40 PM

Some units have arbitrary rules, "Can't hold if they're under this weight or age", "Can't hold if they're on a ventilator", "Can't hold if they have lines", etc.

Our unit is more liberal; it's case by case, day by day, shift by shift. The only piece of equipment they can't be hooked up to is ECMO, a heart lung bypass with huge catheters in their neck vessels because of the risk of the catheters coming out (these kids are THE sickest of the sick and probably wouldn't tolerate it anyway).

I also make sure it's done the right way; the most stressful part is the moving in and out so if you're going to kangaroo care you'll be sitting for at least an hour or as long as the baby tolerates (so pee first!).

And you're acting like an "external uterus", providing warmth and coziness and your smell and your breathing and your heart beat and your gentle voice... but not moving around, flipping the baby to and fro, tickling and stroking, being loud, etc. You want the baby to fall into a deep restorative sleep like they had in utero. Just tuck 'em in and let them be.

When done right holding a preemie is GOOD for them... that's why it ticks me off that she wasn't allowed to hold. OK, off my soapbox now

Wife, mother of 2
#144 of 156 Old 03-10-2010, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by umsami View Post
I was wondering why they couldn't hold her at all, but just assumed it was something to do with micropreemies.
They explained in one of the episodes that when she was touched her sats would drop so they where touching her as little as possible. Even the nurses only moved her to changer her diaper. Then she had the perforation and that set her back again.

#145 of 156 Old 03-10-2010, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCatLvrMom2A&X View Post
The commercial for next weeks show causes me to tear up every time I see it. You can see the contentment and bliss on Michelle's face when she is sitting there holding Josie for the first time. I actually could almost read her mind "thank you God"
I thought almost exactly the same thing. My heart just hurt for her. I can not imagine not being allowed to hold your sick and hurting child. You could just see her relax once they got Josie settled in.

I love John David. He just seems like a really great guy. He's so confident without arrogance and seems happy in a kind of quiet way.

Kristy, wife to Josh proud mama to Katie: since 3/08 and Emma since 8/12.

#146 of 156 Old 03-10-2010, 10:05 PM

John David reminds me a lot of my little brother.

#147 of 156 Old 03-11-2010, 01:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Mackenzie is so big!!!

And the older brother right before...um...Joyanna (?) looks just like John David. He seems to have that same quiet self-assured personality, as well.

Proud Catholic (30) and mama to V (10)
#148 of 156 Old 03-17-2010, 10:04 PM

Just in case anyone has seen the latest episode and was wondering how to make Chicken Etti, this is what I've figured out from the watching the show in slow-mo and some internet research (their actual recipe isn't out there that I can tell)...

Chicken Etti:

1 pkg spaghetti noodles (16 oz?)
3 c. cooked chicken
1/4 c. green pepper
1 c. chicken broth
1 lb cheese
1 can diced tomatoes (Ro-Tel?)
1 can cream chicken soup

Boil spaghetti noodles
Melt together tomatoes, soup and cheese
Pour over noodles

From what I've seen from other (different) Chicken Etti recipes, you put it in a greased casserole and bake at 350* from 30-60 minutes (depending on the recipe).

Sounds sinfully delicious... I must be PMSing

Wife, mother of 2
#149 of 156 Old 03-17-2010, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heymama1+1 View Post
Just in case anyone has seen the latest episode and was wondering how to make Chicken Etti, this is what I've figured out from the watching the show in slow-mo and some internet research (their actual recipe isn't out there that I can tell)...

Chicken Etti:

1 pkg spaghetti noodles (16 oz?)
3 c. cooked chicken
1/4 c. green pepper
1 c. chicken broth
1 lb cheese
1 can diced tomatoes (Ro-Tel?)
1 can cream chicken soup

Boil spaghetti noodles
Melt together tomatoes, soup and cheese
Pour over noodles

From what I've seen from other (different) Chicken Etti recipes, you put it in a greased casserole and bake at 350* from 30-60 minutes (depending on the recipe).

Sounds sinfully delicious... I must be PMSing
Anytime you combine Ro-tel and Cheese.... it's usually pretty darn tasty.

#150 of 156 Old 03-17-2010, 11:26 PM

I have not gotten to see the "Special Duggar Delivery" Episode with Josie's birth, but I saw that it's coming on next Tuesday, at a weird time, like maybe after the regular episode, so if anyone else missed it, set the DVR!

Wife to DH (10/2004) ~ Mama to DS (1/2009) ~ belly.gif (11/2011)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page