Teen Mom - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 176 Old 12-09-2009, 03:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm pretty sure MDC had a 16 and pregnant thread. The show started up again this week, but it's called Teen Mom. The show is following a few of the girls from 16 and pregnant now that they have the babes. It comes on Tuesdays at 10 p.m. on MTV.

SAHM to my baby girl Ella (12/09) wife to the love of my life practicing/believing in
#2 of 176 Old 12-10-2009, 09:15 AM

I saw the episode the other night. It's nice to see how much the little ones have grown.

I can't remember the one girl's name that had the baby that she took out to eat with a friend?? but I felt a little sorry for her. She went to the doctor to get some meds for anxiety. I think she should join a moms group, find a hobby or maybe go back to school part-time or take online classes. I think she would be much happier if she had more to do for herself rather than just being a mom. I wish someone would help her out. I really felt bad for her. The rest of the girls seemed to be leading full lives.

Farrah, on the other hand, had TOO much going on. She was working, modeling and going to school. How does she have time to be with her baby.

Single (divorced), self-employed working, college student MOM to:

17 yr old

11 yr old 

4 yr old

#3 of 176 Old 12-10-2009, 02:07 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Definately watching this...

I felt bad for Farrah when it seems her families only goal is to gang up on her... I do think she has a lot on her plate but she seems happy if her parents/sister would just accept her...

I think Catelynn and Tyler are very mature for their age and I wish their parents would grow up... While I can't imagine what it must be like for them to see their grandchild being given up idon't think they realize it is the fact that they themselves are a large contributing factor to them giving up the child...

I don't think Bently's parents will make it as a couple and I don't think they should... I am usually all for working on relationships that have children but there doesn't seem to be any work...

And I hope things work out for Leahs mom... I thought Leah was sick too (that's what they said on the after show of 16 and pregnant) so maybe that has yet to surface but could be a big factor in her stress as well..

Mom to two beautiful girls and  ****5****10****15****20****25****30***35****40**

Come check out MDC's Updated User Agreement  
#4 of 176 Old 12-10-2009, 05:46 PM - Thread Starter

I feel like Farrah needs to step up to the plate a bit. I think she's spoiled and that hasn't stoppped just because she had a baby. Her parents still baby her. They may tell her they don't think she should go out or drive a total of 4hours (was it?) just to show some guy she's caught him cheating on her, but then they agree to watch the baby. We only see what they show on the camera and I think maybe her family is painted in a bad light (her mom slapping her in the car was horrible, but they've showed it about a billion times now!) They let her live with them, watch the baby so she can go to school and work and pursue a modeling career. I think they're right and she doesn't need to think about boys she needs to spend time with her baby.

Leah's mom was annoying me until she went to see the doctor, at first I thought she was just complaining way to much, but as the episode went on I started to think maybe she has a bit of ppd. I'm glad she's getting help and I agree with the pp, she NEEDS an outlet.

I feel bad for Maci, I understand why she's trying to make her relationship work, but I don't think it's going to :-(

I am amazed by how mature Catelynn and Tyler are. Especially when there parents are so immature. I'm also glad they showed her getting the IUD.

I'm glad the show is back

SAHM to my baby girl Ella (12/09) wife to the love of my life practicing/believing in
#5 of 176 Old 12-10-2009, 07:50 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Oh I totally agree Farrah needs to step up. But I think the parents are totally emotionally abusive. It is a cycle of being told you can't do it on your own and then they help... Then they verbally abuse/torment/tease and then they help... It is to keep her IN that cycle.

Like the car... No you can't have a car, no you can't use the car, oh you are going to get a car? Well you can't have that one and that one is stupid so here use this one and you owe us... So she ends up trapped.. She doesn't know HOW to do stuff by herself because her parents tell her she can't and then do it for her, in effect rescuing her and showing her that she really can't...

So while I think she completely needs to step up her parents are holding a very large abusive control over her. And that is easy to tell even with "editing".

Mom to two beautiful girls and  ****5****10****15****20****25****30***35****40**

Come check out MDC's Updated User Agreement  
#6 of 176 Old 12-16-2009, 04:42 PM

I love Catelynn & Tyler. I think they are incredibly mature for their ages, and I really hope they stay together. They seem like they have a genuine adult relationship! It's amazing to watch.

Maci needs to give up on her boyfriend, IMO. He seems almost cold toward her... very uncaring. Maybe they have sweet moments that aren't shown on the show, but I just can't see him being affectionate or nice to her, even in private. He seems to be over her but just staying because of the baby, but he's not very helpful with the baby, either, so I don't know what he thinks he's accomplishing.

I actually kind of like Leah's mom. She seems like she's a good mom, just overwhelmed and exhausted, which is understandable. I'm glad she took a step to get help with her emotional problems. I don't know about that guy she's with. I feel like she thinks she's trapped with him... on 16 & Pregnant, before they got engaged, she seemed almost embarrassed by him. Did anyone else get that impression?

Farrah. Oh, Farrah. I think she's very spoiled, but like a PP said, also in a cycle of abuse with that family of hers. Honestly, I think she'll end up moving away alone & leaving the baby behind with her family. She seems ridiculously immature to me, even for a 16/17-year-old.
#7 of 176 Old 12-17-2009, 12:02 AM

I love Maci. She was smart to not marry Ryan. Maybe someday when he realizes what is at risk, his relationship with his son, he will man up and be a husband/father. But I doubt it.

Amber, Leah's mom, is trying. Kudos to her on getting her preGED placement.

Farrah I don't think has a clue what she wants. Her grandma is the only person who is at all kind to her. Probably why she keeping meeting guys, to try and find someone to love her.

I understand Catelynn & Tyler wanting to know their baby's last name etc. However, I wonder if later in life when they have other kids they will regret the tattoos.
#8 of 176 Old 12-17-2009, 01:24 AM

i agree, the kids who gave up their baby for adoption are so mature for their age and did an amazing thing for their baby.

how did maci get such a nice car? i wonder if they get paid to be on the show ...

Midwifery student , Mama to my 4 amazing kids. treehugger.gif

#9 of 176 Old 12-17-2009, 03:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandib50 View Post
how did maci get such a nice car? i wonder if they get paid to be on the show ...
I get the impression, her parents are well off. I think her car was probably from them. I'm happy she left her bf, I definitely think it was in her best interest, I feel terribly bad for her little guy :-(

I'm so proud of Amber! Her bf however drives me crazy!

I really feel for Catelynn and Tyler. If I were her I'd be constantly worried that the adoptive parents would decide they didn't want me to see the babe. I understand why they want to know Carly's last name.

I think I'm going to start couting how many scenes Farrah is in, where her baby is actually with her.

#10 of 176 Old 12-17-2009, 11:25 AM

See, Amber bothers me. I get that she is really depressed, but she seems to take no interest at all in Leah. Maybe it is the filming, but she always seems to be looking around while Leah crawls around bored. I get that she needs some support and help, but she just seems whiny to me. Her BF does drive me crazy- he puts out as little effort as possible.
#11 of 176 Old 12-17-2009, 01:21 PM

So I found the episodes of this show online and watched them after reading this thread. I'm also going back and watching some of the 16 and Pregnant episodes (I'm going through chemo and stuck in bed).

I think Catelynn & Tyler are awesome. They seem so incredibly grown up, especially in their relationship with each other.

Farrah drives me nuts. I didn't feel bad for her at all when her sister yelled at her and made her cry. Her mom seems like she's just enabling the dating though, by agreeing to watch Sophia. I'm hoping that it's just the editing or something and she's not going out as frequently as it seems.

I was happy to see Maci leave her fiancee, though I was amused that it seemed she turned right around to go back and talk to him. I think she and Bentley would be better off just moving on for now.

As for Amber, at first she seemed really ditzy and whiny and annoying, but then I started to feel bad for her. She seems to be trying to make things better for her and Leah, but stuck in a crappy situation. I hope things work out for her and I hope she's getting some kind of counseling to help with her mental health issues.

This show is really intriguing to me. It sorta just blows my mind. I hope that teens watching this show get how difficult it can be to be a teen parent and what kind of sacrifices you have to make.

Not momma yet, but momma to a ton of furry, scaly, slimy and feathery critters. whale.gifribbongreen.gif
#12 of 176 Old 12-22-2009, 05:57 PM

The adoption counselor is really bothering me. She was very forceful when catelynn was pregnant and now she's so cold to them. It just strikes me as very predatory. I feel sorry for them because they are just kids and probably didn't totally understand what was going to happen once they gave their baby up.

Mother of 3, welcomed a new baby girl July 2011

#13 of 176 Old 12-22-2009, 07:22 PM

I'm glad you all have written about this --- I had a different opinion on this, but your thoughts are very nice and kind of made me see some of these girls in a different light. It's a good show - and really cool to see them after 16 and Preg

It's just good music if you can feel it in your soul. - Tim McGraw
#14 of 176 Old 12-23-2009, 03:16 AM

Tonight's show just was so heartbreaking to me..I really feel for Tyler and Catelynn, when it seems like they are so much more mature than their parents are. I think Tyler was right, that his dad should have come to him first. Also I think it is so hard for them not to question their decision and they are making their way pretty well under the circumstances, with absolutely no support from family. One thing I didn't understand was why Catelynn moved back in with her mom though?

Amber..I really can't tell if Gary really is a jerk or if Amber is just really, really insecure and immature. Maybe both..I feel for them since they clearly are just very unhappy.

Maci seems really grounded and I think she is right to not let Ryan get away with going out all night, ignoring his son, etc..I know it's got to be hard.

Farrah..another really bad family situation. I wonder if she will start growing up or if she will leave the baby with her parents for good one day, as a pp mentioned.

This show makes me feel so sad for the babies..hearing the parents argue, etc. The babies are all so precious.
#15 of 176 Old 12-23-2009, 10:35 AM

So I just realized that catelynn and tyler and boyfriend and girlfriend but also stepbrother and stepsister??

Mother of 3, welcomed a new baby girl July 2011

#16 of 176 Old 12-23-2009, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxintheSnow View Post
So I just realized that catelynn and tyler and boyfriend and girlfriend but also stepbrother and stepsister??
From the 16 & Pregnant episode, they said that they started dating, then their parents met and got married.

Not momma yet, but momma to a ton of furry, scaly, slimy and feathery critters. whale.gifribbongreen.gif
#17 of 176 Old 12-23-2009, 12:48 PM

I just finished watching the most recent episode. I'm really torn about Amber. I really didn't like her in this episode. Gary is the one providing for both Amber and Leah financially and I'm not sure if she fully appreciates that. She kept shouting that she needs him to buy her a new car and it seemed to me like she didn't get that it's not just simple to come up with money for a new car. At the same time, she was mad at him for not giving her his car, but if he did, how would he get to work? I know that getting to school is important, but I think getting to work (since he's the sole wage earner) is more important in their situation. Maybe there's more stuff going on behind the scenes, but I think she is way to hard on him. I think he seems like a generally nice, albeit slightly lazy, guy who is trying to take care of his family. He definitely has his flaws, but I don't think he's as awful as they make him out to be.

#18 of 176 Old 12-23-2009, 02:33 PM

I feel so sad for Catelynn and Tyler. Her stepfather (his father) keeps hounding them about the adoption. I can't imagine someone telling me how awful I am for giving up my baby over and over again. I remember seeing her 16 and pregnant episode. Her parents wouldn't sign the paperwork, so she had to stay with her baby in the hospital and she still made the mature decision to give her baby up. My heart really hurts for her. I wish she had more of a support system telling her that she did a good thing for her little girl. How is she supposed to heal in a situation like that? I want to adopt her.

Me, DH, and 2 babyboy.gif.
#19 of 176 Old 12-25-2009, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ticklemegreen View Post
I feel like Farrah needs to step up to the plate a bit. I think she's spoiled and that hasn't stoppped just because she had a baby. Her parents still baby her. They may tell her they don't think she should go out or drive a total of 4hours (was it?) just to show some guy she's caught him cheating on her, but then they agree to watch the baby.
I agree. I noticed on the last episode when Farrah went out to lunch with a friend she handed sophia right over to her friend. Out of all the other teen moms she seems the slackest for sure. But she can't help it, she's very young.

17 yr old

11 yr old 

4 yr old

#20 of 176 Old 12-25-2009, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baglady View Post
I feel so sad for Catelynn and Tyler. Her stepfather (his father) keeps hounding them about the adoption. I can't imagine someone telling me how awful I am for giving up my baby over and over again.
I agree. Tylers dad wasn't even there for HIM as a child growing up so he's one to try and give advice on giving their child away. They did the best thing giving her up for adoption, although out of all the couples on the show I think Tyler and Catelynn are the happiest together as a couple, weird. They both are mature beyond their years.

17 yr old

11 yr old 

4 yr old

#21 of 176 Old 12-28-2009, 08:45 PM

Amber.... Why hasn't anyone said ANYTHING about the fact that Amber physically assaulted her fiance??!~?~ Seriously, if a HE. EVER. did that to her, there would be soooooo many issues.
The guy is awesome. Verbal and emotional abuse in every scene, and he still goes back to pick her up from her dads. If this was a woman, people would be all up in arms about how she needs to leave this guy. Amber puts him down constantly. And WHO deserves that?!

Yeah, Amber you need a new car, but you also need a reality check ...

Farrah. Dear Farrah... She gave birth to a sister. I can totally understand her needing to get her education done and working. Awesome responsible actions.
What someone needs to tell her, which Shaq in a way did, is that she is in a FAR more responsible and mature point in her life than nearly any other teen, or individual in a 3-5 year age range from her. ETA Not that she is necessarily acting responsible or mature..--- If she were to focus right now on schooling, work and her daughter, there will be a time when maturity-wise options for a boyfriend/husband/significant other will present itself.

Maci. I am impressed with her. Though as with all the girls she could use some classes or therapy that deal with self expression and problem solving.

"I am amazed by how mature Catelynn and Tyler are. Especially when there parents are so immature. I'm also glad they showed her getting the IUD."

I totally second that. Considering the environment that they grew up in, and their situation, I can't imagine anyone handling it very much better. I think that they did the BEST thing for their daughter. They don't love her any less, I think being mature about your situation and what you can do for your child shows a LOT of love.
#22 of 176 Old 12-30-2009, 06:05 AM

I cannot relate to Farrah at all. I just do not understand a single thing she does.
#23 of 176 Old 12-30-2009, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObliviousAnnette View Post
Amber.... Why hasn't anyone said ANYTHING about the fact that Amber physically assaulted her fiance??!~?~ Seriously, if a HE. EVER. did that to her, there would be soooooo many issues.
The guy is awesome. Verbal and emotional abuse in every scene, and he still goes back to pick her up from her dads. If this was a woman, people would be all up in arms about how she needs to leave this guy. Amber puts him down constantly. And WHO deserves that?!
I agree. Seems like a sad situation. Notice the episode where she laid Leah in her PNP
and her boyfriend told her to change her diaper and she rolled her eyes at him? she's out there for sure.

17 yr old

11 yr old 

4 yr old

#24 of 176 Old 12-30-2009, 09:02 PM

Amber has some major issues. I do think she feels trapped. I notice when she wanted to leave, she didn't have a home to go to. I am NOT excusing what she has done, but I think she is striking out b/c she doesn't feel she has options.

Farrah needs to realize she is not a normal teen. Her parents are passive aggresive though; they yell and scream, but then watch the baby. sigh

I think Catelyn's mom and step dad only wanted her to keep the baby so she could get benefits- WIC, foodstamps, etc. They also often seem high in the tapings. Talk about toxic people.
#25 of 176 Old 12-30-2009, 09:41 PM

I get more upset with Farrah everytime I watch this show. She is so "boyfriend" oriented. She says all the time how busy she is etc, but yet she's always chasing boys.

Catelynn and Tyler LOVE them both.

Amber has a princess mentality. I understand she is home with her baby all the time but her hair, makeup, fake nails, clothes are always perfect. I think she needs to cut out some of that time and spend it cleaning up her house. Her boyfriend is working fulltime and paying the bills. He should pick up after himself but she needs to kick it up a notch.

Maci I was hoping she and her boyfriend would be apart longer so he could decide what he really wants. My 15yr old said "man he's immature". I think Maci is lonely and he is company.
#26 of 176 Old 12-30-2009, 10:15 PM

I wish that we could see how the other two mamas from 16 and Pregnant are doing now!
#27 of 176 Old 12-30-2009, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mar123 View Post
I think Catelyn's mom and step dad only wanted her to keep the baby so she could get benefits- WIC, foodstamps, etc. They also often seem high in the tapings. Talk about toxic people.
I agree that they are toxic and definitely have noticed that they've seemed a bit "messed up" on something in a few episodes but I think that saying they only wanted the baby for benefits is a very harsh accusation. I realize that this might be something that takes place sometimes but I don't think it's as common of an occurrence as people seem to make it out to be.

I think that their dislike of adoption is probably very deep rooted, very culturally based, and probably somewhat intuitive (I'm not anti-adoption BTW.) I think that they are deeply hurt and I'd wager they probably feel that Catelynn and Tyler's choice to give Carly up for adoption is like the kids telling them they are bad parents. It is truly a terrible situation and I really think that Tyler and Catelynn are pretty stinkin' amazing to be so mature in dealing with it.
#28 of 176 Old 12-30-2009, 10:53 PM

nak but wanted to say that Amber was all freaking out about her bf not changing baby before laying her down, but like 2 episodes ago she did the same thing! and then rolled her eyes at him and said she'd do it later, seriously, hypocrite much?
#29 of 176 Old 12-30-2009, 10:55 PM

They did say one time that they saw it as a slap in the face that Ty and Catelyn gave up the baby for adoption, so you are probably right there. IMO, they(the grandparents) are very narcisistic- only thinking about themselves and not about the baby. And IMO, they are bad parents. Instead of being supportive, they try and make the couple feel badly every chance they get. it is amazing Catelyn is as grounded as she is.
#30 of 176 Old 12-31-2009, 01:03 AM

I'm really glad that Catelynn is out of her mother's house. I agree she needs a better permanent place than Ty's mom's house, but it is wonderful that she is taking Catelynn in.

I just want to have unlimited resources and help couples like Catelynn and Tyler. Someone needs to gift them both a full ride to college.

scifi-convention runners Kate, DH Drew 11/07, DD Cora 12/97. We , ,
Welcome to baby Fiona with a giant omphalocele, 6/17/10!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page