Legend of the Seeker? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 01-02-2010, 09:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Anyone see this? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0844653/ It's based upon Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth series, which I understand is very popular. I haven't read it, though DH read all of it.

DH discovered it only recently, rented it on Netflix and we have been watching it as a family. We're really enjoying it! It's produced by Sam Raimi and Robert Tapert of Xena: Warrior Princess fame. The production is really high, the costumes are excellent. I think the acting has all been fine. There's good humor though dh says in this regard it strays quite a bit from the series.

If I understand correctly season 2 just ended (and we caught up with it last night). I hope it comes back for another season!

Someone moved my effing cheese.
#2 of 11 Old 01-02-2010, 11:12 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We started watching it because Dh was excited since he loves all the books and is a big Terry Goodkind fan.

His reaction was he never wanted to watch it again. He said It didn't follow the books at all. They changed the whole story and none of the characters were right.

We watched the first few episodes and never watched it again.

namaste.gif Practicing medicine Mama to four beautiful children 
#3 of 11 Old 01-02-2010, 11:40 PM

This is pretty much my favorite show on TV right now. I adore this show. It's awesome. SO GOOD.

I read the books when I was 13 (yikes! glad a lot of stuff went over my head) and again a couple of years ago, and they're okay but pretty graphic and kinda yucky in some parts. I love the show because while it does have more blood than I care for, it's less graphic and sexual and generally less icky than the books.

Oh man, I seriously adore the show. It's so good. I love the guy who plays Richard, he's so hot too! and Kahlan is just beautiful. I aspire to be as beautiful and butt-kicking as her someday!

Kris - married to Nate since 12/06, mom to Toby since 1/08. Also servant to two felines. Done having babies for medical reasons.

#4 of 11 Old 01-03-2010, 12:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacemamalove View Post
We started watching it because Dh was excited since he loves all the books and is a big Terry Goodkind fan.

His reaction was he never wanted to watch it again. He said It didn't follow the books at all. They changed the whole story and none of the characters were right.

We watched the first few episodes and never watched it again.
Yes, this does seem to be a common response! I asked dh, who loved the series, why he kept watching and he says, 'You notice I sit there shaking my head a lot.' A lot is out of order, lots is completely original content. He also pointed out that the title of the show is Legend of the Seeker, not Sword of Truth or even Wizards First Rule.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krisis View Post
This is pretty much my favorite show on TV right now. I adore this show. It's awesome. SO GOOD.

I read the books when I was 13 (yikes! glad a lot of stuff went over my head) and again a couple of years ago, and they're okay but pretty graphic and kinda yucky in some parts. I love the show because while it does have more blood than I care for, it's less graphic and sexual and generally less icky than the books.

Oh man, I seriously adore the show. It's so good. I love the guy who plays Richard, he's so hot too! and Kahlan is just beautiful. I aspire to be as beautiful and butt-kicking as her someday!
Dh says in his opinion they got Kahlan's appearance just right.

Sex and violence: dh says the tv series would have to be rated R to NC17 to remain true to the books.

I imagine it's a bit like fan fiction with a big budget.

#5 of 11 Old 01-03-2010, 12:22 AM

My DH and I love the books. We watch the series to amuse ourselves. We laugh at how awful the acting and script are. We groan at the liberties Raimi has taken with the story. Take away the names of the characters, the sword, and the "Seeker" designation, and the show is completely unrecognizable as having anything to do with the books. So far the 2nd season hasn't been as atrocious - I think the guy who plays Richard must have finally taken an acting class because he now has more than two facial expressions. I really can't take the show seriously at all. We have to laugh, or we'll cry. What a horrible thing to have done to a terrific series of books. (I'm otherwise a Raimi fan, btw.)

You can find me on Facebook. PM for info.
#6 of 11 Old 01-03-2010, 12:33 AM

I LOVE the books but really dislike this show. I was soooo excited when I heard they were making it into a show - but sooooo disappointed when I finally saw it. I gave it a few episodes, but the butchery was too much for me. It sucks compared to the books - not even sure if the person writing the script has even read the books all the way thru or just read the blurbs on the jackets.
Maybe if they made it into real movie - like they did with the Lord of the Rings - that might have some real potential. But only if they follow the story line and character development of the actual books.
#7 of 11 Old 01-21-2010, 11:19 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
My DH follows this series, I sit there shaking my head at the gross inaccuracies from the books and the very Xena style elements to it myself. Then he fusses at me for ruining it. We've both read them.

Wow Krisis, you read it at 13? I got as far as book 5 and if they're getting darker as they go along I don't see where else they can go after that...don't know if I'll continue. The books are definitely NC-17 once you get past the first couple.
#8 of 11 Old 01-21-2010, 01:09 PM

I was excited when I found out about it but was really disappointed when I watched the first few episodes.

Bad acting, writing, everything. Bad, bad, bad.
#9 of 11 Old 01-26-2010, 04:23 PM

I never read the books but that is probably why I watched it. But recently it has gotten more graphic for me so I stopped watching.

So the first season they spend so much time getting rid of lord Raul, and when he is gone, he comes back from the underworld like the victory never happened.
#10 of 11 Old 02-22-2010, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter

Anyone else still watching this?

Still thoroughly enjoying the show. The episode Torn where Kahlan is split into two opposing personalities was just excellent. Bridget Regan is an excellent actor.

That and the last episode, with Cara the baneling, show some real growth.

http://thetorchonline.com/2010/02/21...e-living-cara/

I also thought it was pretty disturbing at times, particularly the scene with the folks lined up to be dispatched by banelings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebirdmama1 View Post
So the first season they spend so much time getting rid of lord Raul, and when he is gone, he comes back from the underworld like the victory never happened.
Yes, this disappointed me a little. He's supposed to be the ultimate baddy! But I imagine they might be going the way of Anakin and Luke Skywalker with Darken and Richard. Sometime in the future Richard will provide Darken with an opportunity to redeem himself.

#11 of 11 Old 04-14-2011, 11:55 AM

We borrowed Season 1 from the library and the kids absolutely adore this show. There's no way I would ever let them read the books although I've read them. I can't believe I read all the books. They weren't especially well written but the author kept me engaged and I really love the characters. Terry Goodkind knew the show was going to be different from the books and supports efforts to bring the show back for Season 3. http://www.petitionspot.com/petitions/LOTS3/

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page