Secret Life of the American Teenager - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-08-2010, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
New season started on Monday! Did anyone watch?

I'm really looking forward to next week when Ben's girlfriend from Italy comes to town... I bet Amy is going to get so jealous, maybe she will start taking him more seriously?

And did you notice the new guidance counselor? It's Blossom!!

It's just good music if you can feel it in your soul. - Tim McGraw
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2010, 08:39 PM

I thought that episode was bad! :-( Hope it gets better. I remember it being cheesy, but I feel like that was over the top.

SAHM to my baby girl Ella (12/09) wife to the love of my life practicing/believing in
Old 01-10-2010, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ticklemegreen View Post
I thought that episode was bad! :-( Hope it gets better. I remember it being cheesy, but I feel like that was over the top.
ITA. I was really disappointed with the first episode of the new season. I hope things get better or else I'll be tuning out.
Old 01-11-2010, 09:30 PM

I just started the show on hulu... so I haven't reached the current season yet. Based on what you say, I hope it improves!
Old 01-12-2010, 04:48 PM

Ben's Italian girlfriend is obnoxious. I loved the storyline for Grace this week (love the song choice)!!! Shame on Ricky.

I think they are saying 'sex' even more this season so far.

OUR DAUGHTERS ARE PROTECTED SHOULDN'T OUR SONS BE TOO! :
Old 01-13-2010, 08:02 PM

Ben's italian gf is obnoxious!! did anyone notice the girl Ricky had sex with was Ruthie Camden from Seventh Heaven?!?!? little innocent Ruthie Camden, lol same creator. It is getting a bit cheesey but I still will watch

Maaaammaa!! to A 2/99 M 7/00 J 10/04 B 4/07 S 3/09
Old 01-13-2010, 08:06 PM

DH and I secretly watch this show. We both think it's the cheesiest show with terrible actors, but somehow we can't stop watching it.

We thought the premiere of this season was especially terrible. That counselor was over the top and the show is just getting more and more unrealistic...

We were arguing over whether that was Ruthie from 7th Heaven!

I can't wait to see what happens next week.

Momma to Sweet Rosie 7/06, Lost Baby J 1/09 at 12 weeks pregnant, Spitfire Ada born 4/21/10, and Baby Boy due July/August 2013!
Aspiring urban homesteader, photographer, homeschooling momma! Blog link in my profile. 

Old 01-13-2010, 09:12 PM

I totally noticed it was Ruthie.

Old 01-14-2010, 09:24 PM

I noticed Ruthie too. Don't like Ben's Italian girlfriend and her accent sucks. So disappointed in Ricky. I was starting to like him.
Old 01-15-2010, 05:14 PM - Thread Starter

I know, I've gotta admit I was surprised by Ricky, too. I thought he was finally turning a corner and going to take the relationship with Adrian seriously.

On the other hand, I think this has the potential for a great storyline for Adrian -- seeing her go toe-to-toe with another bad girl? Could be fun.

It's just good music if you can feel it in your soul. - Tim McGraw
Old 02-01-2010, 01:57 PM

I definitely noticed that girl was Ruthie. But did you notice the counselor is Blossom!?!? She use to be good on Blossom, but now she just seems like she is trying too hard. I really don't like her character either. Every time I watch it, all my husband comments about is how much they say "sex"/ talk about sex. I don't remember being that obesessed with having sex when I was in high school, maybe I was just naive.
Old 02-01-2010, 03:30 PM

I don't like the counselor character either (and I did recognize her), the character is obnoxious.
They do seem to be obsessed with sex and I nor any of my friends in high school talked about sex like that and most of us were sexually active even.

I did like the masturbation theme though.

Old 02-01-2010, 03:37 PM

I wasn't sexually active until about 2 months before I graduated. I do remember one person in particular asking me if I had had sex, and when I answered no, she very perky, and encouragingly told me I should because it's so much fun. LOL I liked the masturbation theme too. "Just say me!" HAHA I need to stop watching this show. lol
Old 02-09-2010, 01:32 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
The show is craziness this season. Sooo cheesy and bad. Yet I still watch.
Old 02-09-2010, 01:33 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
One more thing: HOW did the person who writes these scripts get hired to write for a TV show? Every single time an actor asks another actor a question, the second actor repeats the question before answering or repeats the question as part of their answer. It drives me to drink.
Old 02-09-2010, 04:30 PM

The repetition really reminds me of 7th Heaven. It also reminds me of why I stopped watching 7th Heaven. And how 7th Heaven got so redundant. 7th Heaven grated on my nerves. 7th Heaven kept repeating itself...

That's what I heard for the entire last episode. I dvr it which means that I can watch it in peace after the children sleep yet I decided to play on my computer while watching the show. Half-listening means I only had to hear things once. I'm hoping the quality of the writing improves.

That said, what was Grace so pissed about? Probably due to my half-watching, I missed that part.

Mama to two boys and a girl.
Old 02-10-2010, 06:24 PM

You know, what I hate about this show is it is so completely unbelievable. The bit about Amy's date not calling her because he found a condom in her wallet is ridiculous. First off, most boys wouldn't go through a girl's purse or personal items, and if a condom did fall out, most teenage boys would be like...score. Sorry to say that, but I was a teenager once, and it's true. I like how they brought the girl from Blossom (can't spell her name) but she's also unbelievable as a guidance counselor. All school administrative characters are way too involved with the student's lives, much more so than actually occurs in a real-life scenario. Also, parents don't come in there all apologetic and submissive when faced with their kid's school problems. Most come in there defending their kid to the last degree, not swaying to whatever demands the school is making. Ricky's attitude and demeanor is not very convincing either. He's a good actor, but I can't help but think this just isn't the role for him. His talents could be well used elsewhere.

Bethany, crunchy Christian mom to Destiny (11) Deanna (9), and Ethan (2)

Old 02-14-2010, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelpie545 View Post
I like how they brought the girl from Blossom (can't spell her name) but she's also unbelievable as a guidance counselor. All school administrative characters are way too involved with the student's lives, much more so than actually occurs in a real-life scenario.
Its Mayim Bialik and she's an MDC mama- so ease up on the harsh criticism y'all! Mayim, if you're reading this, I hope to see more of you in other shows!

treehugger.gif *CPST*  mama to my three year old DS1 broc1.gif1.31.09 and wedded to angel 8.07  hola.gif

DS 2  waterbirth.jpg 8/18/12!!

Old 02-15-2010, 04:42 PM

I totally hate the writing on this show. I dont know why I watch it, but I do. Perhaps waiting for it to get better.
Old 02-16-2010, 01:33 AM

I'm not going to censor what I say about this show or it's characters because one of the actors reads here (they all could potentially read here). So far I haven't read anyone being rude about the actual people that play the roles. I know Mayim is a AP parent (and I think it's wonderful) but that doesn't have anything to do with the show.
That said the speech the counselor made on tonights show was moving it's the only redeemable thing the character has done thus far and I hope the writers add more stuff like it into the show.

Old 02-17-2010, 06:10 PM

OMG so funny. That dance was so so so sad. ROFL

Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.
Mark Twain
Old 02-23-2010, 02:16 AM

This really is a not so great season of this show. The writing is poor and the dialogue is over the top but I'm still watching. LOL
Old 02-23-2010, 05:15 PM

I"m still watching too...

I love the moment when Ashley's dad caught the guy in the closet. It made me giggle.

Maybe I had other problems when I was in HS (family issues and an eating disorder) but is sex really this big a topic?

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
Old 02-27-2010, 10:15 PM

Ashley's boyfriend in the closet was funny.

When I was in high school sex was a topic but it wasn't the ONLY topic like this show is making it out to be.

I'm guessing that Ricky will be back in the next episode. But I wonder why, after just having put his foot down about wanting to spend time with his son, he would basically quit his job and abandon his apartment when that would take away all the freedom that he's worked so hard to get.

Mama to two boys and a girl.
Old 03-09-2010, 07:02 PM

What's happening to my ABC Family Shows. Make it or break it was awful this season and Secret Life wasn't that great either. How is it that Ashley has more sense than every one else on the show including her parents? I like Ben's dad though.
Old 03-16-2010, 01:29 PM

Amy is REALLY getting on my nerves. I think she's being mean and spiteful.

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
Old 03-16-2010, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFWife View Post
Amy is REALLY getting on my nerves. I think she's being mean and spiteful.
Your post made me laugh because DH came in the room while I watched this last night and said, "she's such a mean and spiteful little girl,isn't she?" I really like Ricki this season. He's grown up, is being mature. I was disappointed Adrian went to Amy.

When Adrian slept with Ben was it the night of the mother/daughter dance?
Old 03-16-2010, 05:05 PM

Yes, and if she is PG, it will be his baby. I am really aggravated they are having her possibly be PG. She switches pills at the same time the condom breaks...really?? I know it is a soap opera, but it just bugs me.

Didn't Amy agree to what Ricky wanted at the end? I hope she does mature as the show goes on.

One thing that would have bugged me about the custody arrangement- he gets JOhn on the weekends- no school, more down time. She gets John with all the craziness of the week. Just saying....
Old 03-16-2010, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mar123 View Post
Didn't Amy agree to what Ricky wanted at the end? I hope she does mature as the show goes on.

She did, but she whined the entire episode...and I'm afraid it will just continue.

Old 03-17-2010, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mar123 View Post
Yes, and if she is PG, it will be his baby. I am really aggravated they are having her possibly be PG. She switches pills at the same time the condom breaks...really?? I know it is a soap opera, but it just bugs me.

One thing that would have bugged me about the custody arrangement- he gets JOhn on the weekends- no school, more down time. She gets John with all the craziness of the week. Just saying....
Thanks. I agree making Adrian pregnant is silly. Are they going to have a new girl pregnant every year?

I think Ricky would have gladly taken him during the week but Amy wouldn't have agreed to that and she did agree to what Ricky wanted in the end but she whined about it the entire time. I was disappointed her mother wasn't willing to set her straight. Since Amy had the baby, her character has been my least favorite. She treated Ben poorly last season as well. I am glad they are no longer dating. All of a sudden the entire world revolves around her.

Am I the only one who thinks Ben's father is being a little hard on him?

User Tag List