LOST - Season 6 - Page 9 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-18-2010, 07:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks!!! Alas, my TV watching days are somewhat numbered. We're planning to get rid of cable once we're a family of three. We'll still use our tv sometimes for movies and adult tv watching late at night, possibly. Good thing for me that I won't miss any episodes of LOST. Well, I will miss them, for sure.

Beth- WOHM slinggirl.gif  -Madly in love with my Wife- SAHMhola.gifandbabyf.gifSophia, born 11/2/10, at home! homebirth.jpgExpressing love, one ounce at a time!  1pump.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2010, 07:38 PM

who needs cable? you can watch anything you want on your computer LOL

I'm Andrea - I have three boys - 12 year old twins & an 11 year old

Old 02-18-2010, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flminivanmama View Post
who needs cable? you can watch anything you want on your computer LOL
That is what we do for almost everything. We don't have cable.
Old 02-18-2010, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanyam926 View Post

I also wonder why the before the plane ride lives would be different for anyone in the parallel world? I don't get that at all. It seems like some things are the same and some aren't. If the plane never crashed then I see how their lives would be different after, but not before....I don't get it.
Even though its the parallel world, they were still on the island in 1977 or whatever year that was. KWIM? They were on the island in the 70's in both time lines/parallels/worlds... So I guess that year is their constant?
Old 02-18-2010, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamsmama View Post
That is what we do for almost everything. We don't have cable.

Old 02-18-2010, 09:00 PM

Good tip!

Beth- WOHM slinggirl.gif  -Madly in love with my Wife- SAHMhola.gifandbabyf.gifSophia, born 11/2/10, at home! homebirth.jpgExpressing love, one ounce at a time!  1pump.gif

Old 02-19-2010, 06:57 PM

As a side note, I think Mr. Linus would be the history teacher most students wouldn't want. Did you hear him freaking out about the coffee filter?

Heather Mike Married 8/1/99 Mom to Charlotte Aug 04, Nov 06, and Katherine Oct 07
Old 02-19-2010, 09:12 PM

Hugo aka Jorge Garcia and his gf Beth have a podcast and blog where he discusses Lost here : http://geronimojacksbeard.blogspot.com/

Stephanie + Dh= Super blessed parents to 1 ds, and 4 dds!
Old 02-20-2010, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanyam926 View Post
I also noticed that Flocke seemed so much like Locke sometimes and I wonder if there is still a part of Locke's conciousness inside Flocke? But I don't see how that could be possible.
I think this is probably along the lines of where they are going with this. When he cried, "Don't tell me what I can't do!", it seemed very whiny coming from a creature who can turn into a giant, evil, all-powerful pillar of black smoke. I feel like it is a reflection of who Locke was, and possibly some foreshadowing of what is to come for MIB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittywitty View Post
But I think that something else happened in the parallel universe. A butterfly effect of sorts and that's why things were so different. It didn't reset to 2004, but 1977, so that's why Ethan and Ben weren't on the island, etc.
That!

Along with other thoughts about Locke's father coming to his wedding - I wonder if it could possibly be a different father? Maybe he was adopted in this universe. I just have a very hard time believing that Cooper could EVER be someone this more-confidant and happier Locke would allow into his life as a father. But I also feel it would be really convoluted to introduce another father at this point, so I imagine it's an unlikely theory.
Old 02-20-2010, 07:29 AM

I'm not 100% convinced that Christian was the smoke monster. Why would Smokey have wanted Locke to bring everyone back to the island in Season 5 if Jacob had set them up to be protectors/custodians of the island? Surely that would be to Smokeys detriment if their ultimate role was to keep him on the island. BUT, he did say that Locke would have to die (which benefited Smokey). Hmm, maybe Jacob anticipated Smokeys purpose for Locke and we're in for a big surprise. I'm confused!

I'm loving Season 6 so much. Locke has always been one of my favourite characters, and this new twist is keeping me hooked for sure.
Old 02-20-2010, 12:06 PM

That!

Along with other thoughts about Locke's father coming to his wedding - I wonder if it could possibly be a different father? Maybe he was adopted in this universe. I just have a very hard time believing that Cooper could EVER be someone this more-confidant and happier Locke would allow into his life as a father. But I also feel it would be really convoluted to introduce another father at this point, so I imagine it's an unlikely theory.[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure there was a picture of cooper and locke hunting or fishing on his desk at work..?

Stephanie + Dh= Super blessed parents to 1 ds, and 4 dds!
Old 02-20-2010, 05:13 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilMamiBella View Post

I'm pretty sure there was a picture of cooper and locke hunting or fishing on his desk at work..?
yup!

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

Old 02-20-2010, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle View Post
As a side note, I think Mr. Linus would be the history teacher most students wouldn't want. Did you hear him freaking out about the coffee filter?
totally!
Quote:
Originally Posted by zebrabelly View Post
Along with other thoughts about Locke's father coming to his wedding - I wonder if it could possibly be a different father?
so, locke and sawyer were both negatively impacted by cooper.
locke became paralyzed, bitter, angry, (and I'll go ahead and add pathetic.. feel free to disagree with me on that one!)
sawyer became a con man, bent on revenge.

from what we have seen of the parallel universe, locke isn't like that and sawyer isn't a con man. so maybe the reset affected cooper, who in turn affected sawyer and locke?

treehugger.gif *CPST*  mama to my three year old DS1 broc1.gif1.31.09 and wedded to angel 8.07  hola.gif

DS 2  waterbirth.jpg 8/18/12!!

Old 02-20-2010, 08:47 PM

So, I'm wondering how Locke lost the ability to walk in the parallel universe?
Old 02-20-2010, 09:34 PM

I have the worst memory...please refresh my memory on connection btwn Locke's dad and Sawyer...

Mama to Jack (12/7/06) & Liam (4/3/08) & Iris Hope (10/6/10)
Old 02-20-2010, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueIrises View Post
I have the worst memory...please refresh my memory on connection btwn Locke's dad and Sawyer...
He was the "original" Sawyer ... the man who slept with him mom and stole money from his dad, according to Sawyer, and then caused the murder-suicide...
Old 02-22-2010, 12:24 AM

Anyone else think the Smoke Monster/Flocke is a representation of the Ego? Or that the cave is a reference to Plato's Allegory of the Cave? The chamber where Jacob's body was burned brought the Cave Allegory to mind, also. I can relate the "shadows" to the Smoke Monster, the illusions of the dead walking among the living (Christian, Locke, Alex), and in the Allegory of the Cave, the people are chained (the chains!). Plato also wrote about Atlantis.
I think the Lost writers have read way too much philosophy, but somehow they will tie it all together beautifully. Or maybe I've read way too much philosophy
I like the Jacob's Ladder idea. I think this show is going to end up being about God, Love, and the Human Condition/desire for enlightenment.
I'm thinking the creepy boy is a manifestation of Jacob.
I also think that for the MIB to be good and Jacob bad is too predictable.

so many roads to ease my soul...

Old 02-22-2010, 02:52 AM

wow. we need a WAAAAY over my head smilie..

will work in a pinch..

treehugger.gif *CPST*  mama to my three year old DS1 broc1.gif1.31.09 and wedded to angel 8.07  hola.gif

DS 2  waterbirth.jpg 8/18/12!!

Old 02-22-2010, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilMamiBella View Post
TOTALLY did not catch that. :doh Thanks!

So, does anyone read AckAttack.net ? I find her completely freaking hilarious, and also quite insightful. I don't have any time to peruse the Lost forums anyone other than this one so this was all new to me when I read it tonight, but it's really, I think, important and right on. Excuse the caps, she was excited, I think.

Quote:
OMG THE SCREEN IS SPLIT DOWN THE CENTER AND SAWYER IS ON THE DARK SIDE AND SMOKEY IS ON THE LIGHT SIDE, THIS OBVIOUSLY HAS SO MUCH MEANING , AND I WILL SPEND ALL OF WEDNESDAY DECODING ITS SECRETS. LET US ALSO NOT FORGET THAT HE WHO CASTS THE FIRST STONE IS WITHOUT SIN, SO…YEAH. BIBLEY.
You can find the whole recap here:
http://www.theackattack.net/?p=1350
Old 02-22-2010, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anamama View Post
Anyone else think the Smoke Monster/Flocke is a representation of the Ego? Or that the cave is a reference to Plato's Allegory of the Cave? The chamber where Jacob's body was burned brought the Cave Allegory to mind, also. I can relate the "shadows" to the Smoke Monster, the illusions of the dead walking among the living (Christian, Locke, Alex), and in the Allegory of the Cave, the people are chained (the chains!). Plato also wrote about Atlantis.
I think the Lost writers have read way too much philosophy, but somehow they will tie it all together beautifully. Or maybe I've read way too much philosophy
I like the Jacob's Ladder idea. I think this show is going to end up being about God, Love, and the Human Condition/desire for enlightenment.
I'm thinking the creepy boy is a manifestation of Jacob.
I also think that for the MIB to be good and Jacob bad is too predictable.
I can definitely see Plato's Cave...but can you talk more about the Smoke Monster as the Ego?

I definitely picked up on Jacob's ladder immediately. I thought that was kinda cool.

I have to think that there's something about Buddhism in there somewhere too. The Dharma Initiative. Characters sometimes talk about Karma. Namaste is said many times. 108 is an important number in Buddhism. The wheel that they turn looks like the Wheel of Samsara. The characters seem to be caught in a pattern of suffering that they're trying to find their way out of.

Also, the characters face many hindrances as talked about in Buddhism, such as: desire, ill will, boredom, restlessness(worry), and doubt.
Old 02-22-2010, 04:22 AM

Heather Mike Married 8/1/99 Mom to Charlotte Aug 04, Nov 06, and Katherine Oct 07
Old 02-23-2010, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freud View Post
I have to think that there's something about Buddhism in there somewhere too. The Dharma Initiative. Characters sometimes talk about Karma. Namaste is said many times. 108 is an important number in Buddhism. The wheel that they turn looks like the Wheel of Samsara. The characters seem to be caught in a pattern of suffering that they're trying to find their way out of.

Also, the characters face many hindrances as talked about in Buddhism, such as: desire, ill will, boredom, restlessness(worry), and doubt.
Yes!!
I think of the Smoke Monster/MIB being a representation of the ego because it seeks complete control and gratification. Some ideologies hold that the ego wants to kill you, because you (or your spirit) are in direct competition with it. The scene where Jacob and the MIB were sitting on the beach really illustrated this aspect. I realize that this is based on one of many views of the ego, and it not necessarily my personal view of it (still working on that one ). But Flocke is so charming and manipulative and deadly. He appeals to, or tempts, Ben's lower self when he convinces him to kill Jacob by making Alex's death all seem to be Jacob's fault. Hmmm...I don't know, just throwing some thoughts around...

so many roads to ease my soul...

Old 02-23-2010, 01:15 AM

Me (27) DH (30)...9 Years

DD (7) ~ DD (4) ~ DS (3)

Praying our April 2013 baby sticks!! joy.gif

Babies in Heaven...angel.gif 9/04 angel.gif 2/05 angel.gif 3/11 angel.gif 4/11 angel.gif 6/11 angel.gif 11/11 angel.gif 2/12 (along with my tube greensad.gif )

Old 02-23-2010, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadiMamacita View Post
wow. we need a WAAAAY over my head smilie..

will work in a pinch..

Agreed...I need a Lost tutor...I feel like a failure for not being as enlightened as the crew here!

Mama to Jack (12/7/06) & Liam (4/3/08) & Iris Hope (10/6/10)
Old 02-23-2010, 05:43 PM

We are very excited to watch tonight!!!

Giving Love serves as a wonderful reminder that we already have an abundance of Love within, "it is in giving that we receive."
Old 02-23-2010, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueIrises View Post
Agreed...I need a Lost tutor...I feel like a failure for not being as enlightened as the crew here!
I think this is part of the problem (I think its a problem) that a friend and I discussed today. There are going to be many many layers of answers when we get towards the end. Us simpletons (Holla if ya out there!) Will not be satisfied with the end result, but the smaller, more enlightened population of Lost Lovers will totally get it and LOVE IT.

I am trying not to think about this to much, because its kinda bummin me out. Guess I should read more.
Old 02-24-2010, 12:02 AM

If the give ANY answers, I think they will give answers that satisfy each group of Lost watchers! Those who are mainly following the time-loop theory, those with religious/philosophical theories, and those who are just watching the story unfold, I think, will be satisfied. That's IF we get any sort of "answers."
Old 02-24-2010, 01:19 AM

So, what'ya think???
Old 02-24-2010, 01:25 AM

First, they better not be lying in the trailer for next week, because I want some damn answers!

I'm still forming my opinion on this episode, so I'll add more later, but right now I'm feeling let down.
Old 02-24-2010, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freud View Post
First, they better not be lying in the trailer for next week, because I want some damn answers!

I'm still forming my opinion on this episode, so I'll add more later, but right now I'm feeling let down.
I understand!

I am not a long time fan of Lost, but rather a newbie of sorts. My daughters and I just recently watched all five seasons over the course of a month or so.

I think I have realized, that I prefer to watch Lost by seasons, rather than by episodes! It's just my preference!

The direction of the plot is not going the way I had *hoped* it would, so I am a little bummed by that, but still enjoying it anyway!

But, I agree, I really hope that next week will provide some more solid answers!! But, ya know, they have a good many episodes to get through before the finale in May!

User Tag List