16 and Pregnant - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 209 Old 04-01-2010, 05:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks for the reminder...I am watching it right....now.

Mama to my tribe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#122 of 209 Old 04-01-2010, 06:28 PM

I was really taken with this young couple. I liked them a lot. The episode was so sad, with all the pain Nicole's mom had experienced, and how Tyler hadn't been in school for FOUR FREAKING YEARS! And he was only 16! Double Yikes! I got the idea that all of the folks in this episode were good people who've had a lot of hard times in life. Tyler's mom didn't come off looking stellar (loved the scene when she's puffing on a cigarette while bitterly complaining about Tyler smoking & becoming a teen dad) but she knows all too well the difficult path her son is on and is understandably upset about it. She loves her kid. Tyler was a charming and adorable kid in a lot of ways, but he also seems quite mouthy and a difficult kid to raise.
The fact that these kids were having sex with no protection whatsoever just shows how aimless they are, with no future (realistic) goals. I am really rooting for them the most. I know what it's like to be young, from a messed up family with only one parent, and with no role model. They are just so incredibly young and not ready for parenthood, but they also come across as loving parents.
Woa...I think I've written enough! I just related to this couple in a few ways. Tyler also reminded me a bit of a guy I fell madly in love with in my younger days. I'm looking forward to seeing Nicole and Tyler on "Teen Mom."

Me bfinfant.gifDP caffix.gif one silly 5 year old  boy blahblah.gif and a brand new babyboy.gifcd.gif  signcirc1.gifgoorganic.jpg
#123 of 209 Old 04-01-2010, 10:29 PM

I thought this episode was very intriguing..... like pps have mentioned. I thought Tyler was great with his little sisters, and a great and caring dad, but I was worried about the lack of schooling/motivation. I thought Nicole was a good mom, and I liked that they showed her bfing in the hospital.
Tyler's mom made me sad, especially with her negative attitude during the shower. I'm glad she came around later in the hospital/episode.
I *did* however think that N and T went out alot and left the baby with grandparents alot... and bounced around alot. Hopefully they are staying home more now and have settled down to a more stable living arrangement. Unlike many girls this season, I hope we follow these guys in Teen Mom
~maddymama
#124 of 209 Old 04-01-2010, 11:32 PM

I was really intrigued by this couple too..Like pp's have said, Tyler was charming but at the same time the way he talked to his mother..well, I could really see where his mom was coming from on alot of it. He struck me as more of a "kid" than Nicole did. Also, I felt like his mom was speaking out of love when she said they needed to quit moving around all the time, and going out all the time. Even the stepdad seemed like his concern was genuine. And Nicole handled it really well, while Tyler seemed alot more upset.

There was a look in Nicole's eyes at the end that made me so sad..that look of realization of the loss of her youth I guess..or maybe realization that it was going to be such an uphill battle.

I really am rooting for these two and hope they both will be able to get back in school, and make a life for themselves and their child.
#125 of 209 Old 04-01-2010, 11:36 PM

Tyler seemed like such a kid to me, like he had no clue what real life (bills, etc.) would be like and it was all fun and games to him still. At the same time he clearly was light years beyond some of the other fathers on this season when it came to being hands on with the whole baby care thing. I think once he matures a little he'll be a great father! I hope they pick somewhere to live and stop moving around, too.

At one point, when they were leaving his mom's house, was the baby's car seat facing forward? It really looked like it was, but surely their parents would have said something to them.

Momma to Sweet Rosie 7/06, Lost Baby J 1/09 at 12 weeks pregnant, Spitfire Ada born 4/21/10, and Baby Boy due July/August 2013!
Aspiring urban homesteader, photographer, homeschooling momma! Blog link in my profile. 

#126 of 209 Old 04-02-2010, 02:44 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper44 View Post
At one point, when they were leaving his mom's house, was the baby's car seat facing forward? It really looked like it was, but surely their parents would have said something to them.
I thought so too.

: Robyn : Increasingly crunchy Mama to Kya (8) , Makena (7) , and Keegan (4) :
#127 of 209 Old 04-02-2010, 06:40 PM

I don't know something about this episode really bothered me and I can't quite put my finger on it

Krys(29) DP to Ad (32)
~Attachment, co-sleeping parents to CJ (10/08)~ Mama to an angel baby born at 25.5 weeks Sophie (01/10)

#128 of 209 Old 04-02-2010, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetmama26 View Post
I don't know something about this episode really bothered me and I can't quite put my finger on it
I felt like there was more to this story than what we were told. The kid was expelled at 13 and then just did nothing about schooling? Something just doesn't seem right about that. And the goals about becoming a professional skateboarder....well, I don't want to squish anybody's dream, but that was just ridiculous. And I didn't understand the popping around to all the houses. Was this just a way a saying that they were homeless, because that's what it felt like to me.
#129 of 209 Old 04-02-2010, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetmama26 View Post
I'm with you on that one. I think it's the combination of the dad sleeping all day and not being in school. The grandma who was caring for him who seemed quite nice, but was allowing this behavior. His dreams of being a chef/professional skate boarder. The bouncing around from house to house and milking childcare as long as they could and then moving on. It was just kind of odd. I do hope we get to see what happens to them in the next year though.

Elizabeth - Doing life with Scott partners.gif

SAHM to Evelyn - my crazy little Celiac (4) energy.gif Annabelle (2)  love.gif and Abraham (born 6/20) buddamomimg1.png
adoptionheart-1.gif  Follow our journey  mdcblog5.gif

#130 of 209 Old 04-02-2010, 08:59 PM

I agree, I thought those same things were strange. Why did one family member not step up and set up living arrangements at their home? It was almost like they didn't care enough to give Tyler and Nichole firm guidance even though Tyler and Nichole obviously needed it.

I thought the the school part was especially odd--is there not some law against him just being out of school at age 13? I know in my state the drop-out age is 16 with parental consent. I can't imagine that in Florida it's 13 years old, is it? I also doubt anyone was going through the trouble of registering him as a homeschooler to get out of it or something...

Momma to Sweet Rosie 7/06, Lost Baby J 1/09 at 12 weeks pregnant, Spitfire Ada born 4/21/10, and Baby Boy due July/August 2013!
Aspiring urban homesteader, photographer, homeschooling momma! Blog link in my profile. 

#131 of 209 Old 04-02-2010, 09:16 PM

Quote:
I thought the the school part was especially odd--is there not some law against him just being out of school at age 13? I know in my state the drop-out age is 16 with parental consent. I can't imagine that in Florida it's 13 years old, is it? I also doubt anyone was going through the trouble of registering him as a homeschooler to get out of it or something...
It's the same in FL. You have to be at least 16 and have parental consent.

SAHM to my baby girl Ella (12/09) wife to the love of my life practicing/believing in
#132 of 209 Old 04-02-2010, 10:31 PM

Quote:
I agree, I thought those same things were strange. Why did one family member not step up and set up living arrangements at their home? It was almost like they didn't care enough to give Tyler and Nichole firm guidance even though Tyler and Nichole obviously needed it.
Hmmm...Seriously. It seemed like Tyler and Nicole were just left to their own devices. It looked like Tyler's mom just gave up on him completely and that Nicole's mom was more of a friend than a parent. It's hard to judge what's going on when you only see an hour of heavily edited film. There's some serious neglect going on when a kid can just stop going to school at age 13 and do whatever the he** he wants for years thereafter. It's nice that Nicole's mom was so supportive, but I would NOT be thrilled in any way whatsoever if my young daughter got pregnant by a boy in Tyler's position. He's a sweet guy with potential, but he's also an aimless dropout. This was a terribly depressing episode. I just don't want to see these kids and their baby end up impoverished and homeless.

Me bfinfant.gifDP caffix.gif one silly 5 year old  boy blahblah.gif and a brand new babyboy.gifcd.gif  signcirc1.gifgoorganic.jpg
#133 of 209 Old 04-02-2010, 10:45 PM

Quote:
that Nicole's mom was more of a friend than a parent.
That's what I was thinking. She didn't seem to offer any guidance whatsoever, other than telling Nicole that she wasn't good enough with the baby yet.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
14yo ds   11yo dd  9yo ds and 7yo ds and 2yo ds  
#134 of 209 Old 04-02-2010, 11:28 PM

Quote:

I thought I heard on the show that he was expelled and hadn't been back since. This episode was depressing in its own way. Yes...they had support in many ways...but in other (VITAL) ways, there was some serious lacking of adult guidance despite ALL THESE ADULTS...who obviously had some real struggles of their own to endure in the past...perhaps never got past certain things and maybe stunted emotionally in some ways? I just feel sort of sad about the chances of success for this young couple. I couldn't help but think if you could combine the positive elements of all the episodes and give them all to one...maybe it would work, (mature teen, mature, loving parents of teen...financial stability and resources, etc) but it just seems like each of these teens have some serious obstacles in one way or another that will be very difficult to overcome, even with some serious ambition.

Mama to my tribe
#135 of 209 Old 04-03-2010, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fruitful4Him View Post
I just feel sort of sad about the chances of success for this young couple. I couldn't help but think if you could combine the positive elements of all the episodes and give them all to one...maybe it would work, (mature teen, mature, loving parents of teen...financial stability and resources, etc) but it just seems like each of these teens have some serious obstacles in one way or another that will be very difficult to overcome, even with some serious ambition.
You know, this is why I have conflicting feelings about this show. I feel guilty about watching it, because the reason why these teens are on this show is to put on display what "screw-ups" (not my feeling) they are. I know that its intent is to show the harsh reality of teen pregnancy and to deter other kids from heading down the same path. I just don't want the dysfunctional lives of these kids being offered up as entertainment fodder. I think they are still KIDS, and not entirely equipped to make the momentous decision of whether or not to show their lives to the world. It's akin to descending into a shark pit-the lives of everyone appearing on the show are ripped apart. Farrah has been mercilessly ravaged and attacked, and while the girl definitely needed to spend more time caring for her daughter, it was also apparent that farrah was a victim of abuse and inept parenting by her own mother.
I feel sick and angry after some of these shows-especially the one of Nikkole and Josh. That boy is SERIOUSLY disturbed, and I don't know what his mother was thinking by allowing him to be on TV.
This show is about so much more than teen pregnancy. I find it fascinating to watch the family dynamics at play in each of these situations. I also feel as guilty about it as I would about trying to get a good look at a really bad car accident.

#136 of 209 Old 04-03-2010, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaMoo View Post
You know, this is why I have conflicting feelings about this show. I feel guilty about watching it, because the reason why these teens are on this show is to put on display what "screw-ups" (not my feeling) they are. I know that its intent is to show the harsh reality of teen pregnancy and to deter other kids from heading down the same path. I just don't want the dysfunctional lives of these kids being offered up as entertainment fodder. I think they are still KIDS, and not entirely equipped to make the momentous decision of whether or not to show their lives to the world. It's akin to descending into a shark pit-the lives of everyone appearing on the show are ripped apart. Farrah has been mercilessly ravaged and attacked, and while the girl definitely needed to spend more time caring for her daughter, it was also apparent that farrah was a victim of abuse and inept parenting by her own mother.
I feel sick and angry after some of these shows-especially the one of Nikkole and Josh. That boy is SERIOUSLY disturbed, and I don't know what his mother was thinking by allowing him to be on TV.
This show is about so much more than teen pregnancy. I find it fascinating to watch the family dynamics at play in each of these situations. I also feel as guilty about it as I would about trying to get a good look at a really bad car accident.
I've felt the same way when watching it. I always wonder how they got on the show. I can't imagine being pregnant as a young teenager and then saying to my parents, "Oh by the way I also want to show this part of our lives to the world via MTV! Doesn't that sound like a great idea mom?"

What rational parent would say yes to their child being on TV at such a vulnerable, stressful time? Or want to have their own struggles as the parent of a pregnant teen edited and shown to the world...yikes. I wonder about how that decision came about for each episode.

By the way, I also thought they said Tyler got expelled...but doesn't that mean you still have to have an alternate form of schooling in place? Like reform school or something? I wonder what he did to get expelled!

#137 of 209 Old 04-03-2010, 01:04 AM

Quote:
I've felt the same way when watching it. I always wonder how they got on the show. I can't imagine being pregnant as a young teenager and then saying to my parents, "Oh by the way I also want to show this part of our lives to the world via MTV! Doesn't that sound like a great idea mom?"

What rational parent would say yes to their child being on TV at such a vulnerable, stressful time? Or want to have their own struggles as the parent of a pregnant teen edited and shown to the world...yikes. I wonder about how that decision came about for each episode.
I know how at least one family ended up on the show. Unfortunately, I don't have a source for it because I can't remember where I read it, but Lori's mom talked Lori into doing the show. Lori didn't want to do it. Seriously, I am just repulsed by Lori's mom. Her behavior on the show was bad enough, but to push your daughter to expose herself to a worldwide audience? Thankfully, the viewing audience was quite sympathetic to Lori's plight, so she wasn't ripped apart like other girls have been. But her mom HAD to know that it was a possibility. That is so disgusting.

#138 of 209 Old 04-05-2010, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaMoo View Post
YES! I feel this way too. I have this huge guilt about watching, and then I keep watching. And I feel really sad after each show...so I'm not sure why I keep coming back to it. I get depressed about the families. And I wholeheartedly agree with you about Farrah..poor girl.

All that said..I didn't think Tyler and Nicole were truly homeless. It seemed like there just were no hard and fast rules for them wherever they went. It hadn't even occurred to me that there were probably laws being broken regarding Tyler being out of school since 13. I am curious what we didn't see, and at the same time, I don't know if I would want to see more. It might just be too much. Sigh.
#139 of 209 Old 04-07-2010, 02:22 PM

What did everyone think of the latest episode with Leah?

I felt sooooooo bad for Corey. I feel bad for Leah, too, but she seemed so immature about it all. It seemed like she just wanted someone to take care of her and babies. I'm glad they both took care of their girls but I got the feeling that she'd really just like for someone to do it for her. Compared to most of the other Dads on this show, Corey seemed great. He got up in the night, seemed really supportive, etc. It was nice to see a Dad involved to that extent.

I also thought Leah's mom seemed really steady about it all. It was so emotional watching her comfort Leah at the end.
#140 of 209 Old 04-07-2010, 07:00 PM

I want to sign them up for counseling. I feel like this couple totally has a chance to work things out and both be there for their daughters. It was nice to finally be impressed with a guy on the show.

SAHM to Evelyn - my crazy little Celiac (4) energy.gif Annabelle (2)  love.gif and Abraham (born 6/20) buddamomimg1.png

#141 of 209 Old 04-07-2010, 08:46 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I couldn't believe how quickly/suddenly things fell apart between Leah & Corey. They seemed to be really close during the pregnancy, talked about everything, very supportive of each other, etc. Then it just all went downhill immediately after the babies came home from the hospital. I agree with the PP who said I think they have a real chance to work it out & be a family.

Can I also just ask what the HECK she saw in that Robbie guy? Ew, ew, ew, ew, ew. Corey was about 5 million times more attractive & sweet than him, or so it seemed from the show. I guess love really is blind...
#142 of 209 Old 04-07-2010, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by becoming View Post

Can I also just ask what the HECK she saw in that Robbie guy? Ew, ew, ew, ew, ew. Corey was about 5 million times more attractive & sweet than him, or so it seemed from the show. I guess love really is blind...
I think the big thing is that he represented everything she had to give up when she got pregnant. She connected him with fun, freedom, being care-free... They also were together for so long, there were clearly still feelings there that she hadn't dealt with. I don't really know what she initially saw in him, but I understood why she was drawn to him after the birth of the girls.

It's also why she didn't really see the light with him until he was around the girls. When she saw his attitude toward them, I think things started to click for her. But by then she had screwed things up with Corey so badly and didn't have the maturity to know how to handle the situation and make things right. So sad.

#143 of 209 Old 04-08-2010, 01:40 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Yeah, I can see that. I think you're exactly right.
#144 of 209 Old 04-08-2010, 02:46 AM

My thoughts on Leah & Corey..I think Corey was a man. Leah was a little girl. He wanted to be there for their family..he really stepped up with a girlfriend of a MONTH. They hardly knew each other..and yet he was willing to make a life together. I felt so terrible for him when he was crying. And when she just kept going out. I think he had every right to ask her to stay home with her children, rather than go hang out with her ex boyfriend. Poor guy.

I did feel terrible for her too though when she realized what she had done. I just hope they will find a way to get back together. She is really going to be hurting if she lives with that regret forever with no resolution.

When I was watching this episode I felt like I could see it coming..that there was no way Robbie was going to want to be a daddy. It just was painful to watch! I hope Leah and Corey can work it out.
#145 of 209 Old 04-08-2010, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmom View Post
My thoughts on Leah & Corey..I think Corey was a man. Leah was a little girl. He wanted to be there for their family..he really stepped up with a girlfriend of a MONTH. They hardly knew each other..and yet he was willing to make a life together. I felt so terrible for him when he was crying. And when she just kept going out. I think he had every right to ask her to stay home with her children, rather than go hang out with her ex boyfriend. Poor guy.

I did feel terrible for her too though when she realized what she had done. I just hope they will find a way to get back together. She is really going to be hurting if she lives with that regret forever with no resolution.

When I was watching this episode I felt like I could see it coming..that there was no way Robbie was going to want to be a daddy. It just was painful to watch! I hope Leah and Corey can work it out.
This is pretty much exactly what I was going to say. I felt so awful for Corey, especially when he made the comment about not being able to wake up with his girls every morning. I really hope they can work things out, or at the very least, work it out so that Corey can spend plenty of time with the girls.

Not momma yet, but momma to a ton of furry, scaly, slimy and feathery critters. whale.gifribbongreen.gif
#146 of 209 Old 04-08-2010, 05:27 PM

How ironic and sad that we finally see a teen dad who seems like a very stand-up guy and the teen mom is a total flake!! I think her major problem is basic immaturity, I mean, she was surprised when her old boyfriend wasn't into being a dad to her twins??? Her perspective on things was so warped, including her relationship with Corey and Robbie, it was clear how much of a kid she really is. Corey definitely seemed to be doing his best in a very bad situation, I think the fact that he sold his truck was a clear indication of his committment. Watching him cry was so sad, made all the worse given the fact that Leah actually got a clue when it was too late. Little kids dealing with grown-up issues, most of them just can't hack it.

And yes, I feel very voyeuristic watching this show, DH hates it. But I can't help it!!

Mama to DD 4/06 notes2.gif  new DS stork-boy.gif born 17/12/10 familybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.gif
#147 of 209 Old 04-09-2010, 03:05 PM

Double post

Momma to DS - 9/3/2002, DS - 9/7/2005, DD - 10/8/2007
#148 of 209 Old 04-09-2010, 03:07 PM

Quote:

This is how I felt about it too.

Momma to DS - 9/3/2002, DS - 9/7/2005, DD - 10/8/2007
#149 of 209 Old 04-09-2010, 05:17 PM

I wonder if they'll have a season 2 of Teen Mom

Mother of 3, welcomed a new baby girl July 2011

#150 of 209 Old 04-10-2010, 01:01 AM

Amanda, wife to Ed mama to Logan, Phoenix, Indigo and snuggle bunny EZRA RAIN has arrived

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page