little bear - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 02-22-2010, 11:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know TV isn't the best for your child, but we do watch it especially at night, we watch Little Bear, what are your thoughts? I love it, I love how calm and nurturing his parents are, and his family and friends are, I love how sweet little bear is, I love how into nature it is and the lessons it teaches. I even loved the winter solstice episode, we own all the tapes!

edit
I think this is the wrong section, oops sorry! still getting the hang of things!

homeschooling mom to coco (9/2006)

baby house to a new little (1/2015)
treehugger.gif nocirc.gif familybed1.gif cat.gif

#2 of 22 Old 02-22-2010, 11:59 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
No problem. I'll move it to Television.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#3 of 22 Old 02-23-2010, 10:57 AM

We love Little Bear
#4 of 22 Old 02-23-2010, 03:50 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I loved reading the Little Bear books when I was a kid, loved reading them to my own kids and loved the show. I was sad when my youngest got too old for both the show and the books.

I think the show is one of the best for little kids.

Someone moved my effing cheese.
#5 of 22 Old 02-23-2010, 04:52 PM

We like to relax at night during bedtime snack to Little Bear on demand. It is fairly easy for ds to follow, he loves recognizing Cat and Duck. (And dp and I entertain ourselves wondering why Little Bear runs around nekkid and Father and Mother Bear have full outfits.)

Since '05 just me and B, but in 2/08 E made three!
#6 of 22 Old 02-23-2010, 05:01 PM

This was my favorite show when DD's were both little!

Giving Love serves as a wonderful reminder that we already have an abundance of Love within, "it is in giving that we receive."
#7 of 22 Old 02-23-2010, 05:03 PM

We have loved Little Bear for many many years. It was one of the only shows I let my oldest ds watch when he was little and he really enjoys watching it with the two little ones. It is good family bonding time for them.
#8 of 22 Old 02-23-2010, 06:19 PM

We adore Little Bear here. I especially like that the books & the shows are so word for word and even use the same imagery.

Now, just try finding toys for a 10 year old show! I ordered a talking plush little bear from ebay for DS's Christmas. (not as creepy as it sounds, very un-like teddy rupskin) I paid $25 for it and it's great! You squeeze his tummy and he growls & says "I'm your Little Bear" in the Little Bear voice. And one hand you squeeze and it leads you through a 20 or so phrase Pirate adventure where he asks your LO questions about this & that. The other hand is the same, only it's the snowball fight adventure. Very sweet & very cute. There's nothing quite so adorable as seeing your 3 yo sitting in a sled "pirate ship" with a pinwheel sail clutching a playsilk treasure map and a talking Little Bear. Ah. Childhood.
#9 of 22 Old 02-23-2010, 06:35 PM - Thread Starter

I had no idea they were books! I'm gonna start googling for them right now!

#10 of 22 Old 02-23-2010, 06:39 PM

My husband posted on facebook not long ago. "Why does Father Bear wear a suit & tie when he goes fishing." Everyone chimed in. "Father Bear always wears a suit & tie." It was funny to see so many people knew what he was talking about!
#11 of 22 Old 02-23-2010, 08:48 PM

Yes, but why is Little Bear always nekkie, when everyone else wears clothes??? Particularly I think about when we are first introduced to little bear and he is cold and asks for a hat...
#12 of 22 Old 02-23-2010, 09:20 PM

He usually wears a scarf too. Strange.

Our absolute favorite was the snowball fight episode when Father Bear was trying to work on the budget. Dp and I still crack jokes about what is in a budget for bears. Obviously no clothes for Little Bear!

Since '05 just me and B, but in 2/08 E made three!
#13 of 22 Old 02-23-2010, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMommyNiceNice View Post
Now, just try finding toys for a 10 year old show! I ordered a talking plush little bear from ebay for DS's Christmas. (not as creepy as it sounds, very un-like teddy rupskin) I paid $25 for it and it's great! You squeeze his tummy and he growls & says "I'm your Little Bear" in the Little Bear voice.

Did you see that one episode where Mother Bear makes a cloth Little Bear? I did that for DS and he carries that thing around with him everywhere. He had no interest in stuffed animals before but he LOVES his Little Bear. I just made it out of felt, totally easy.

We love the show, we don't have TV but we have some DVD's and about half the kids' shows are Little Bear episodes. (The other half are bootleg cartoons like David the Gnome, Fairy Tales, and Little Bits.) I love how the Bears celebrate the Wheel of the Year; we're a Pagan family and it's great to see them honoring the same holidays, but without a religious overtone so it's accessible to all. The only other show I saw like that was... gosh that was years ago on cable, it was a show about a Big Penguin and a Little Penguin or something like that, they celebrated the winter solstice, but that's about all I remember about that.

mama of DS(3) & DD(2)
#14 of 22 Old 02-23-2010, 09:34 PM

I love Little Bear. I like finding calm tv shows for my Littles, I should look for the DVDs.

mama to the Girls (15, 14, 13) and the Littles (5, 3) 
#15 of 22 Old 02-23-2010, 10:01 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Pig Penguin and Little Penguin = Paz on Ready Set Learn! I absolutely loved them, and was sad when ds outgrew them as well.

Someone moved my effing cheese.
#16 of 22 Old 02-24-2010, 12:00 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaveit2beeker View Post
He usually wears a scarf too. Strange.

Our absolute favorite was the snowball fight episode when Father Bear was trying to work on the budget. Dp and I still crack jokes about what is in a budget for bears. Obviously no clothes for Little Bear!

hahaha I literally just laughed so hard and loud that I startled an almost asleep babe and he got mad and yelled MOMMY! I'M TRYNA SLEEP! hahahahah

#17 of 22 Old 02-24-2010, 12:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaleanani View Post
Did you see that one episode where Mother Bear makes a cloth Little Bear? I did that for DS and he carries that thing around with him everywhere. He had no interest in stuffed animals before but he LOVES his Little Bear. I just made it out of felt, totally easy.

We love the show, we don't have TV but we have some DVD's and about half the kids' shows are Little Bear episodes. (The other half are bootleg cartoons like David the Gnome, Fairy Tales, and Little Bits.) I love how the Bears celebrate the Wheel of the Year; we're a Pagan family and it's great to see them honoring the same holidays, but without a religious overtone so it's accessible to all. The only other show I saw like that was... gosh that was years ago on cable, it was a show about a Big Penguin and a Little Penguin or something like that, they celebrated the winter solstice, but that's about all I remember about that.
We aren't Pagan, we aren't really anything, but anyway ds wants to celebrate winter solstice this year cos of it and I think its a wonderful idea! we are all very excited I can't wait!!

#18 of 22 Old 02-24-2010, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaleanani View Post
Oh, don't worry. Little Bear has a Fisherman Bear. And a red scarf. I made matching ones for him & DS for Christmas.
#19 of 22 Old 02-25-2010, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturallymommy View Post
We aren't Pagan, we aren't really anything, but anyway ds wants to celebrate winter solstice this year cos of it and I think its a wonderful idea! we are all very excited I can't wait!!
Aw, that's sweet. That's a really good episode. I love their harvest celebrations as well, and they have several full moon episodes, and a halloween episode as well that I've seen. There may be more holidays represented but I don't think I've seen them.

mama of DS(3) & DD(2)
#20 of 22 Old 02-25-2010, 09:17 PM

Ds#2 ( and I!) LOVED Little Bear!

They have all the episodes of David the Gnome on DVD now at Amazon. Ds#1 watched David the Gnome.

Wonderful cartoons!

Maya the Bee is cute, too, and Franklin ( he's a turtle with lots of friends.)

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle." -Plato
#21 of 22 Old 02-25-2010, 09:20 PM

Little Bear is the only TV/video/movie screen anything that almost 3 yo DS has ever seen. Okay, that and the current Olympics (I'm an Olympic junkie!)

Anyway, the point is that when this hardcore no-TV-for-kids mom decided to let DS watch something while miserable sick and DH out of town last month--Little Bear was the one and only thing I 'approved' of!

I remember watching it with the little girls I babysat when I was a teen. I even liked it then!

I love that they don't try to make Little Bear's life look like the average American kid's life (esp. love that they don't go to school--we're future homeschoolers here). Though Little Bear's life actually does look a lot like my DS' life!
#22 of 22 Old 02-25-2010, 09:31 PM

We love Little Bear too!

There's an episode where his friend Emily goes to school and Little Bear doesn't understand why he can't go. Turns out he stays home and has fun learning that way.

On another episode they get the mumps...I guess there are no vaccines on that cartoon.

Momma to Sweet Rosie 7/06, Lost Baby J 1/09 at 12 weeks pregnant, Spitfire Ada born 4/21/10, and Baby Boy due July/August 2013!
Aspiring urban homesteader, photographer, homeschooling momma! Blog link in my profile. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page