Parenthood - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 166 Old 04-14-2010, 08:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yeah, but Jason Ritter REALLY, REALLY needs to shave off those pubes on his face. I like facial hair, but those little nasty wings sprouting from his upper lip make me gag every time Sarah kisses him. Some men are not meant for facial hair.

I close my eyes and imagine Sarah pulling an electric razor out of her pocket and clipping those things right OFF.

RedOak ~ Momma to DS (8) , DS (4) , DD (3) , & DD 9/10 ~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 166 Old 04-15-2010, 02:13 PM

So is Sarah just insane? Why in the world would she tell her daughter she is dating her teacher the day before the SAT when she knows she has a crush on him and she is already struggling in life? And then she goes and breaks up with him anyway.

dumb.
#63 of 166 Old 04-15-2010, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOakMomma View Post
Yeah, but Jason Ritter REALLY, REALLY needs to shave off those pubes on his face. I like facial hair, but those little nasty wings sprouting from his upper lip make me gag every time Sarah kisses him. Some men are not meant for facial hair.
I love his facial hair, it looks great on him.
#64 of 166 Old 04-15-2010, 04:09 PM

I really really like this show. That is all.
#65 of 166 Old 04-15-2010, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOakMomma View Post

I close my eyes and imagine Sarah pulling an electric razor out of her pocket and clipping those things right OFF.
I was just talking to DH about his nasty facial hair the other day. I hate it. It grosses me out!
#66 of 166 Old 04-15-2010, 04:38 PM

Does Max go to the special school? Does the in-home behaviorist teach him? What's the deal? I feel like I missed something.

Wife to DH (10/2004) ~ Mama to DS (1/2009) ~ belly.gif (11/2011)
#67 of 166 Old 04-15-2010, 05:30 PM

I was glad about them having an autism spectrum child on the show at first but the most recent episode annoyed me. They make it seem like all you have to do is get someone to do ABA with the child and you'll have instant results. It's bull.

Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

#68 of 166 Old 04-15-2010, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arduinna View Post
I love his facial hair, it looks great on him.
Me too! Then again, my husband is like a young grizzly adams so clearly I'm pro facial hair. lol

I didn't even realize who that guy was until this thread.
#69 of 166 Old 04-16-2010, 10:20 PM

LOL I think the facial hair is to make him as un-Max Medina looking as possibly. (Gilmore Girls reference. Not the first time Lauren Graham has dated her daughter's English teacher.)
#70 of 166 Old 04-17-2010, 08:09 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I think they were trying to make him look older with the facial hair maybe? To me it looks a bit pirate cheesy fake, and he talks a bit odd sometimes like captain Jack Sparrow. Anyone else catch that?
#71 of 166 Old 04-17-2010, 07:02 PM

I REALLY like this show!! And it wasn't until I read this thread did I realize that the TV show is based on the movie!! Duh! I've only seen the movie 100 times... silly me!!

DS:15 DD:12 DS:7 DS:5
Surrogate baby born: 9/17/12
Surrogate baby due: 12/14/14
#72 of 166 Old 04-23-2010, 04:23 PM

I'm sort of annoyed about how the gifted diagnosis was handled. It is very likely that both little kids have very similar behavioral issues and gifted isn't all rainbows and unicorns.

Other than that bit, I thought this week was a really strong episode. The mother-daughter storyline really hit home for me. That bit about feeling like a mistake? I think I said those exact words to my mother when I was 15. And we both totally ended up crying.

I lost it at the end. Crosby watching the birth video? Even with the so not a newborn baby in her arms.

Totally contrived and meant to pull at my heart strings and it totally worked.

I'm a morning person.  We actually do exist.
#73 of 166 Old 04-23-2010, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawningmama View Post
I'm sort of annoyed about how the gifted diagnosis was handled. It is very likely that both little kids have very similar behavioral issues and gifted isn't all rainbows and unicorns.

I lost it at the end. Crosby watching the birth video? Even with the so not a newborn baby in her arms.
Yeah, it's weird. It seems that they so some research in special needs but they don't seem to get the whole story. Or maybe they did that on purpose for a future episode. When they realize that having a gifted child is not all rosy. (It's usually everything BUT rosy.)

Yeah, Crosby's tear at the end of that birth video was done well.

Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

#74 of 166 Old 04-23-2010, 08:46 PM

Hahah, DH and I had a good laugh as we looked from our 2 week old to the "newborn" in the video and back. We could have completely hidden our baby behind that "newborn"

Hippie sympathizer and mom to L, 4.8.10.
Pet-mom to Squirt with FLUTD & Maya the deaf wonder dog .
#75 of 166 Old 04-26-2010, 01:04 PM

I heard today that the show has been renewed for a second season.

I like that everything about an issue is not resolved each episode. It's realistic and keeps it from being like an after school special. It's not just the special needs kids issues either. The teen daughter, Amber, doesn't always hate her mom, for instance.

DH saw an interview with LG while I was in the doctor's office this morning but he was not able to reliable tell me anything she said except for the renewal.
#76 of 166 Old 04-28-2010, 04:47 PM

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
I just caught this week's episode OnDemand his morning and it was amazing. I totally could relate to the bit about the daughter and college and the mom. Ugh and Hattie and the bra! I felt like I was back in high school with my own parents. I just love this show.

Me + DH + Daniel (7/5/10)
Testing early and often since February 2014.
#77 of 166 Old 04-28-2010, 04:51 PM

I just watched it too! And I loved it too. The dance scene put a genuine smile on my face. And the final scene where Peter Krause looks at his wife with all that love? Yeah, I'm a sucker for schmaltz.

I'm a morning person.  We actually do exist.
#78 of 166 Old 04-28-2010, 05:08 PM

yes, this show is beginning to grow on me as well. I love the scene where everyone is talking over each other.

The whom/sham thing is still bugging me, and I hate how everyone always seems to be ragging on julia. I just want to reach into the TV and give her a big hug.

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

#79 of 166 Old 05-06-2010, 12:16 AM

subbing because i am totally hooked on this show! first-any show with Dylan's Forever Young as an intro is good in my books...

Then-Peter Krause-loved him on Six Feet Under & am really liking him here too.

And I just like how all the other characters interact. i am diggin it!

Stephanie~hippie.gifwife to Dov, mama to Ella Irie (9/24/07) & Kaya Raine (2/1/10)~our vbac.gifbaby, born 45 hours after PROM!!!
#80 of 166 Old 05-06-2010, 12:54 AM

I am enjoying it more and more as it goes.

Biggest surprise for me? I love Peter Krause, HATE his character on the show...boring, boring, boring and he's capable of SO much more. His character is so dry. The only time I've seen him shine is doing his dance..."can't touch this"....that made me laugh....

Still loving Crosby! Dax S.....so funny, so yum. And loved the birth video scene.

Lauren Graham's kids' stories are growing on me....liking the dd more and more....I wonder if Jason Ritter is out for good?

The lawyer mom annoys me though. A lot.

But all in all, I think they are doing a good job developing the stories while making them more realistic. I hope it is renewed.
#81 of 166 Old 05-06-2010, 05:44 PM

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Everytime I watch this show I'm really impressed with how they've developed the characters so well and how real some of the character plots are. I'm especially impressed with the teenage daughters. As someone who works with teens full-time, I can say that they have done a splendid job of capturing the angstiness and the confusion that teens feel. They also really did well showing how real teens talk to each other. I forget the characters names, but the scenes at the country club with Hatties ex-bf and the other daughter were so realistic I practically felt like I was watching a reality show with the teens I work with.

Me + DH + Daniel (7/5/10)
Testing early and often since February 2014.
#82 of 166 Old 05-07-2010, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleRain View Post
Everytime I watch this show I'm really impressed with how they've developed the characters so well and how real some of the character plots are. I'm especially impressed with the teenage daughters. As someone who works with teens full-time, I can say that they have done a splendid job of capturing the angstiness and the confusion that teens feel. They also really did well showing how real teens talk to each other. I forget the characters names, but the scenes at the country club with Hatties ex-bf and the other daughter were so realistic I practically felt like I was watching a reality show with the teens I work with.
I felt the same thing during this episode. The way the parents and teens interact really reminds me of being a teenager, and I just want to reach through the TV to talk to those parents! I remember seeing it from my parents' side as a teen, and wanting to help them understand me better, but we just couldn't communicate well enough, despite weekly counseling. Ugh!

#83 of 166 Old 05-20-2010, 05:05 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I just watched 'Team Braverman' and now I'm exhausted. The argument between Haddie and Amber was so painful. I was identifying with both Amber and Sarah feeling like screw-ups.

Warning :: Spoiler Ahead! Highlight to read message!
When Adam told Sarah that Amber had lied about breaking up with the boyfriend, Sarah shouldn't have repeatedly apologized. Apologize once, then leave it at that. I hope they don't move.

Someone moved my effing cheese.
#84 of 166 Old 05-20-2010, 06:23 PM

I feel so sorry for amber, and so mad at haddies mom for being such a B. what's the big deal? they are teens, and they were already broken up!!!

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

#85 of 166 Old 05-20-2010, 09:27 PM

I'm liking the show a lot more than at the begining.
#86 of 166 Old 05-22-2010, 05:38 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by texmati View Post
I feel so sorry for amber, and so mad at haddies mom for being such a B. what's the big deal? they are teens, and they were already broken up!!!
Okay I just watched the episode on hulu today, since it accidentally got erased off the tivo so sorry for a late reply. But yes I totally agree. I totally think that Hattie's mom is over reacting. The parents shouldn't be getting in the middle of it the way they are. I know it sounded bad the way Hattie explained it. "She told me to break up with Steve and then slept with him," but that definitely isn't the way it happened. And I just feel like the fact that Sarah already feels like a screw-up is preventing her from really sticking up for Amber the way Amber deserves. I mean she did great in talking to Amber, but in that final scene with Adam, she just seemed so defeated.

Jennifer, mama to darling dancing Juliette, and sweet baby Jameson
#87 of 166 Old 05-26-2010, 10:54 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
I watched the finale last night and good god do I want Crosby to get a lawyer. Seriously, I was working on forgiving Jasmine for the whole "He wanted to meet his daddy" thing, and then she up and decides to move to NYC. And offers Crosby a once-a-week phone date with his kid. I am all for making amicable agreements regarding child custody, but she clearly has *no* respect for Crosby as a father or for his relationship with Jabbar.
#88 of 166 Old 05-26-2010, 11:54 AM

I'm beginning to really like the show. I totally agree with everything you said Juniper! But then I was thinking about it-- I really do think that that's how a lot of families work out.

I'm suprised how involved I am with the characters-- so many times I feel like giving Julia big hug, but then I remind myself that she's an ACTRESS!!!!!

#89 of 166 Old 05-26-2010, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texmati View Post
I'm suprised how involved I am with the characters-- so many times I feel like giving Julia big jug, but then I remind myself that she's an ACTRESS!!!!!
I agree! I was just telling a friend the same thing: this show really represents the characters in a very realistic way. I'm not constantly thinking, "I'd never do that" or "that wouldn't really happen". Also, I think because there are so many characters, most people can relate to at least one person!

#90 of 166 Old 05-26-2010, 07:24 PM

I was wondering if anyone knew what other night this is aired on? I can't remember if it is Saturday? I missed the episode, and I prefer to watch it on the big TV than my tiny computer.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page