Hoarders - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 40 Old 03-17-2010, 06:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just started watching the shows. It makes me sad to see the people who are obviously struggling with mental health issues and makes me happy to see them make progress. I can never truly understand their thinking because it isnt who I am but my heart goes out to them.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#32 of 40 Old 03-17-2010, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter

Oh, I feel for them too. But the people with infestations and/or poop are the ones that really boggle my mind. Well, and the goat lady. But I guess that's where the real OCD part of it comes into play.
#33 of 40 Old 09-23-2010, 12:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We discovered this show last night and during the second episode (we found it on netflix streaming and watched 4 episodes) my spouse looks at me and says "we are cleaning out the garage saturday"

The garage is not even bad, its an (oversized) 1 car garage that we do park the car in, its just that the stuff in there is not organized...

This is a tree on fire with love, but it's still scary since most people think love only looks like one thing instead of the whole world. *
#34 of 40 Old 10-05-2010, 06:44 AM

my sister is a hoarder and I need to watch more shows to get tips on dealing with her. Afraid I have gone about it all wrong...
#35 of 40 Old 10-06-2010, 02:12 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathinJapan View Post
my sister is a hoarder and I need to watch more shows to get tips on dealing with her. Afraid I have gone about it all wrong...
It is interesting how these folks think. If they give away any object, they feel like you've cut off a finger or something else vital. Their stuff is literally who they are.

So sad. But motivates me to be extra tidy at home.
#36 of 40 Old 10-18-2010, 10:59 PM

It's absolutely a mental disorder, but one I feel should be dealt with aggressively. These people are truly victims of something they cannot control, for whatever reason. As much as I think all their things should just be tossed out immediately that wouldn't solve anything-it would just make issues worse since these people feel their "things" are part of them.

Bethany, crunchy Christian mom to Destiny (11) Deanna (9), and Ethan (2)

#37 of 40 Old 10-21-2010, 10:41 AM

Am I the only one that wants to yell at the screen: "Throw all your **** out!!!" I know this is a disease, but the hand-holding and coddling annoys me to no end.

It is a great show for motivating me to clean up though.

Lisa, married to E since 9-16-2000, mother to DS A 3-23-2002 and DD J 6-11-2009.
#38 of 40 Old 10-21-2010, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellybeanandkids View Post
Am I the only one that wants to yell at the screen: "Throw all your **** out!!!" I know this is a disease, but the hand-holding and coddling annoys me to no end.

It is a great show for motivating me to clean up though.
What I don't understand are the houses that are filled with trash they've just tossed in a corner. I get holding on to things, but trash?? Why?

Momma to Sweet Rosie 7/06, Lost Baby J 1/09 at 12 weeks pregnant, Spitfire Ada born 4/21/10, and Baby Boy due July/August 2013!
Aspiring urban homesteader, photographer, homeschooling momma! Blog link in my profile. 

#39 of 40 Old 10-22-2010, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper44 View Post
What I don't understand are the houses that are filled with trash they've just tossed in a corner. I get holding on to things, but trash?? Why?
Exactly. I can sort of get the ones who have a hard time parting with things that they think might be useful or sentimental items or things they collect or whatever.
But the ones where they have animal feces and trash everywhere, so gross and I don't understand why they would want to keep and hoard those things.
I feel so sad for the children who have to live in the filthy home environment.

Lisa, married to E since 9-16-2000, mother to DS A 3-23-2002 and DD J 6-11-2009.
#40 of 40 Old 12-23-2010, 10:37 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Whenever DP puts this show on I start cleaning and decluttering, lol.  Its a great motivator.  A lot of these shows are just SO SAD.  I feel bad for the kids.  Sometimes DP asks me, "Why do you worry so much about being clean."  And then we watched a few episodes and he said, "OK I get why you are so concerned.  You don't want to end up like that?"  I'm like, "Yeah.  It's unfair to kids to live in that." Even the bad clutter, but especially the filth. I guess I feel harsh because I don't think I should be easy on myself if I am lazy and have piles everywhere.  It's not fair to my daughter.  How can she learn to be clean if I'm not?

My dad is totally one of those people that just lives in garbage and in college I used to do it too.  But never again!  I think a lot of times depression plays a big part, as well as lack of skills. 

The most aggravating one was the family that had bedbugs and had to camp in the lawn because the dad brought so much stuff into the house.  And the first one with the mom who was threatening to leave her family but who was the hoarder.

The saddest was the mom who'd lost a baby at birth and started hoarding because she didn't want to think about her grief.  I felt a ton of sympathy for her, and cheered at the end for her.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page