Hoarders - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 40 Old 03-03-2010, 07:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I can't be the only one watching this utterly fascinating show, am I? I can't get enough of it! Some of the homes, I just can't beleive they look/live like that!

I figured out my obsession with it too...I'm pretty sure my step-mom is a hoarder & my dad is what they call a "collector" and together they live in a hoarded collectible mess!

Anyone else hooked? I think my favorite was the lady whose goats had eaten a hole in her house.
#2 of 40 Old 03-03-2010, 07:38 PM

Yes, I'm hooked but only because it makes me feel like my house is only a little bit messy in comparison

Homeschooling mama of four fantastic kids and wife to one great guy.
#3 of 40 Old 03-03-2010, 08:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud2BeAnAmerican View Post
Yes, I'm hooked but only because it makes me feel like my house is only a little bit messy in comparison
I know! I sometimes make my dh watch just so he knows how bad it could be!
#4 of 40 Old 03-03-2010, 08:49 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I love the show. It's a total train wreck... I can't help but watch.
#5 of 40 Old 03-03-2010, 09:05 PM

I love it! I like to record it and then clean my house while I watch I am the total opposite of a hoarder so its really fascinating and bewildering for me.

TLC has their own series coming out. I think its called hoarding: buried alive. I'll be tuning in!

mama to L (4) and G (1.5)
#6 of 40 Old 03-03-2010, 09:59 PM

I watch.

My mom is a hoarder. Although, not as bad as the people on that show. I feel so bad for the hoarders. It's a very unique disorder.

And the people who have kids... that just kills me.

Dang, it sounds like this show really depresses me! It doesn't, I just find it really fascinating.

Mom, wife, full-time student.  And tired.  DH, DS#1 (9/99) and DS#2 (9/09), and 2 dogs.

#7 of 40 Old 03-03-2010, 10:10 PM

I love this show. So interesting to see the backgrounds of people who end up hoarding, and how they react to the cleanup process. BTW, you can watch online at:
http://www.aetv.com/hoarders/

The latest episode (peoria, Ill) is so sad ... the woman cleans out her entire house with very few complaints, but is still living in a homeless shelter after the cleanup. Her husband of 31 years is in Las Vegas, with no signs of returning home. After the cleanup, she is only speaking to 2 of her 14 children.
#8 of 40 Old 03-04-2010, 12:09 PM

I am totally addicted to this show! I have to pre-view the episodes for my partner because he gets really anxious watching the ones with feces and dead cats. He can only handle the clutter, not the actual nasty garbage.

Like a PP, I just find it really interesting to hear these people's back stories and how they got to be in that situation. I am always so happy when they actually stick with the aftercare and get everything straightened out in their lives. It would be cool if they did updates after a longer period of time to see if they're actually able to maintain the cleanliness and heal some of the broken relationships in their lives.

Not momma yet, but momma to a ton of furry, scaly, slimy and feathery critters. whale.gifribbongreen.gif
#9 of 40 Old 03-04-2010, 06:53 PM

Quote:
The latest episode (peoria, Ill) is so sad ... the woman cleans out her entire house with very few complaints, but is still living in a homeless shelter after the cleanup. Her husband of 31 years is in Las Vegas, with no signs of returning home. After the cleanup, she is only speaking to 2 of her 14 children.
Is that how it ended? Sooooo sad.

I saw the beginning, and I could sort of understand why the husband took off, even though I think it was a very poor way to handle the situation. I couldn't watch the whole thing. When the counselor showed up and the husband was there, it looked hopeful for their marriage. Guess not.

I do find myself drawn to the show but it's very painful to watch. It does send me on frantic decluttering/cleaning missions though (Same for "How Clean is Your House?") When I was in my teens I had friends whose parents were hoarders. I'm not sure which parent was the worst about it. But it was one of those houses where there was literally only a small path through some rooms, and for me being not-skinny it was hard to get around even with the path.
#10 of 40 Old 03-04-2010, 07:49 PM - Thread Starter

Did you guys see the one where the old guy had all those beer cans? And he thought they were worth so much money? He even had a garage built to house them! The wierdest part was that he didn't even drink beer. That's so irrational to me.
#11 of 40 Old 03-04-2010, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cappuccinosmom View Post
Is that how it ended? Sooooo sad.
Her behavior as shown on the show suggests significant brain dysfunction. The house is messy - one moment she blames her kids, the next a burglar, then she takes responsibility for a brief period. Everything was so important to her that if the kids tried to clean up, she would dump the garbage bags out in the room they had cleaned.

How many 70+ husbands make a good caregiver for a wife with a very probably non-curable illness? He went back to Las Vegas to "read some books"
Sad
#12 of 40 Old 03-04-2010, 09:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I watch it too. Monday's episode was sad.

familybed1.gifnovaxnocirc.gif nut.gifMommy to my amazing 6 yr old dd, we homeschool.gif, and  27 weeks belly.gifpuke.gifand have been sick the whole time so far, grrrrr!!!!!!!

#13 of 40 Old 03-04-2010, 09:57 PM

That show makes me panic sometimes, and I don't really know why. We have some normal clutter in our house but absolutely nothing like on the show.

I think my grandma is some kind of hoarder. She's *obsessed* with things being clean...clean meaning disinfected with bleach. But at the same time she has stacks of magazines, newspapers, and other random things piled up everywhere that she cannot get rid of. One entire room of her house is filled with stacks of various magazines and papers, so badly that she can't get to her piano which she loves to play, yet she can't just throw them all away because she says she has to go through them to pick out the important things...this is something that has happened to her with old age.

Momma to Sweet Rosie 7/06, Lost Baby J 1/09 at 12 weeks pregnant, Spitfire Ada born 4/21/10, and Baby Boy due July/August 2013!
Aspiring urban homesteader, photographer, homeschooling momma! Blog link in my profile. 

#14 of 40 Old 03-05-2010, 09:32 AM

I watch the show and sometimes I think me and hubby had been doing a bit hoarding. The show reminds me to clean up!

Hipkidz
#15 of 40 Old 03-05-2010, 05:27 PM

I haven't seen it yet. Just seeing the commercials had me gobsmacked.

My son had a friend who's father is a hoarder. I went to their house once and was horrified.

Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

#16 of 40 Old 03-06-2010, 06:52 PM

After every show, I find some place in my house to declutter!
#17 of 40 Old 03-06-2010, 06:56 PM

I don't have to watch it. I feel like I'm living it.

Third generation WOHM. I work by choice.
#18 of 40 Old 03-06-2010, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmandasMom View Post
After every show, I find some place in my house to declutter!
This is me too.
#19 of 40 Old 03-09-2010, 12:58 PM

Last nights episode was soooo sad.

Wasn't going to watch the whole thing but got sucked in.

It was interesting that the women were two very different "types" (one seemed really high strung, the other very laid back). But they both had children and I felt so badly for the children.

The second one really got to me though, because of the weeping and wailing over losing her animals, and not nearly so much emotion over losing her kids. Even her family members commented on that and she came up with some reasoning for it.

I hope the aftercare funds for counseling and further clean-up will help those families pull through. The situation for all those kids just broke my heart.
#20 of 40 Old 03-09-2010, 10:05 PM - Thread Starter

That second lady from last night's show is just like my stepmom! I didn't realize one could hoard animals, but she did! Wow. The floor was gross. How could she not think that poop on the floor & beds wasn't reason to lose her kids? :smackhead: some people are just, um, wow!
#21 of 40 Old 03-10-2010, 01:25 AM

Thanks for the online watching link. I have caught some episodes on youtube. My sister is a hoarder, so I am trying to pick up tips on how to talk to her about it. Last summer when I went back to the states I spent 3 hours cleaning the space I was going to be staying in with my kids (this is after traveling 23 hours to get there....) and realize I did not handle the situation well.

I was exhausted and stressed. I basically just wanted to vac. the floors so we could walk to the bed. I spent most of my vacation *home* cleaning. And yeah I have some residual feelings about that

It is terribly sad. It is a disease and the people do need help.
Kathryn
#22 of 40 Old 03-10-2010, 01:33 AM

This show can be really depressing but it is also very interesting. I also really like watching Intervention, also a really depressing but interesting show.

Student/Working Mama notes.gifgeek.gif
to DD 1dust.gif & DD 2energy.gif & engaged to DFpartners.gif

#23 of 40 Old 03-10-2010, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cappuccinosmom View Post
I hope the aftercare funds for counseling and further clean-up will help those families pull through. The situation for all those kids just broke my heart.
me too. This is why I don't watch the show anymore--too sad.
#24 of 40 Old 03-12-2010, 11:35 AM

Just saw the episode with 17+ dogs and a bunch of cats. It was good for more than an hour of house cleaning
#25 of 40 Old 03-15-2010, 08:31 AM

Love, love, love this show! It's sometimes painful to watch, but so addicting.

autismribbon.gif

#26 of 40 Old 03-15-2010, 09:31 AM

It is fascinating, isn't it? But it seems to me they often set these people up for failure. They get, what, two days of professional help to go through their houses and sort things. Some of these people need to touch every single item before they can let it go, and, well, we've all the seen the sheer avalanche of items there are. No way that's happening in two days.

I think I like How Clean Is Your House a little better. Those people are quite happy to have Kim and Aggie come in and take over -- and it's still good for a "well, my house is messy, but nowhere near that level" sigh of relief, and a brief spurt of cleaning inspiration. Plus, they have good organic cleaning tips.
#27 of 40 Old 03-15-2010, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie Mac View Post
... it seems to me they often set these people up for failure. They get, what, two days of professional help to go through their houses and sort things.....
Yes, but its a job no one else will do (unless you have $$$$) and they are real offering help and expert counseling for a disorder with a very low "cure" rate. If the 2-3 day cleanup works, the client has a *clean* house to maintain rather than a messy house to cleanup. Keeping a clean house clean may be daunting for a hoarder, but making a hoarded house clean is pretty un-surmountable for the hoarder.

I know a woman locally who inherited her Mom's house. She lived in Mom's house for 2 years before listing the smaller (former) house for sale. Both houses were fairly "full" at that point. I helped her out just a little - encouraging her to take to the curb an old exercise bike, a particle board grandfather clock, and some other unneeded items. In her "new" house, I talked her into donating her cook books (her diet is cereal + coffee) and self-help books (they didn't work). She sleeps on the floor. I don't expect any of this to change, since she does not see a problem with it.
#28 of 40 Old 03-15-2010, 12:08 PM

I love Hoarders, and saw the first episode of TLC's new "Hoarders: Buried Alive" last night... it really is a fascinating show, and always good to watch when your ready to do some cleaning. Cause' like, yeah... Fascinating, disturbing, depressing all at the same time...
#29 of 40 Old 03-16-2010, 12:42 PM

I've only seen one or two episodes, but I really liked them. I saw one where the woman had decomposing cats under piles of garbage. I totally feel for the people and the families. I actually cried when one woman explained how her father was also a hoarder, and he made her get rid of *all* of her possessions once when she was young. Her "things" were they only thing that remained constant in her young life since they were always moving (military family) and he burned them as she watched. Horrible

I have retired from administration work, so if you have a question about anything MDC-related, please contact Cynthia Mosher. Thanks!

#30 of 40 Old 03-17-2010, 06:48 PM - Thread Starter

I recorded the one from Sunday b/c I forgot it was one I had already seen. It never ceases to amaze me how these people can rationalize things like sleeping in a tent outside their own house because they won't clean up their sh!t so the house can be fumigated for bugs! :smackhead: I mean, really!? And then they want to keep things that are totally infested with bedbugs? Really? Ugh. Gross.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page